Cat Among the Pigeons

Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,328 ratings  ·  88 reviews
MYSTERY, DISGUISES, AND A FIGHT FOR FREEDOM.

Welcome back to the seedy underbelly of London, in 1790. Cat Royal and her friends at the Theater Royal are getting ready for their next performance. But the star of the show may not make it to opening night. Pedro has proved to all of London that he is a brilliant musician and a gifted actor, but, according to Mr. Kingston Hawki...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Square Fish (first published August 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Among the Pigeons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Among the Pigeons

GSGS
This series REALLY doesn't deserve the stars I give it XD But still, I have to because I love them so much.

Basically this is the next book in the Cat Royal series. Just as much fun as the first one. There's something oddly addictive about this book. I have come to the conclusion that it's the charries I love - the hot tempered and often sarcastic Cat, the protective butcher Syd, the full-of-himself ex-slave Pedro, Frank, Lizzie, and - yes!- even Billy. The plotlines aren't the best but these ch...more
Brooke Shirts
Lovely sequel to The Diamond of Drury Lane, with more irrepressible behavior and spiffy 18th-century slang from Cat Royal, resident orphan of the Drury Lane Theater.

Like its predecessor, this story's best asset is in its cast of characters, and includes both high- and low-born alike. Pedro, the former slave/violin prodigy and co-inhabitant of the theater, is in peril. His former owner has tracked him down and claims to have the right to reenslave him. The theater and theater-going public protest...more
Ahmad
Cat among the Pigeons (Cat Royal #2), 2006, Julia Golding
Characters: Cat Royal, Pedro Hawkins, Lord Francis or Frank, Lady Elizabeth or Lizzie, Billy 'Boil' Shepherd, Lord Jonathan Fitzroy, Johnny Smith or Captain Sparkler, Mr Sheridan Cat's jolly, Syd, The Duke of Avon, The Earl of Ranshaw Father of Johnny, Marzi-pain Marchmont.
Abstract: MYSTERY, DISGUISES, AND A FIGHT FOR FREEDOM.
The second episode in the CAT ROYAL ADVENTURE series plunges readers into the underbelly of London in a mission for...more
Mary
I love it!!! For the first book and half of the second I was totally in love with Syd. And now for some reason, it's all Billy!! He's without a doubt the most captivating bad guy I have ever know. (He beats out Heathcliff for me) I wish he was real. I can't get over him. These books have me caught in their grasp!! I love them. Golding has hit that sacred realm of my favorite authors. She is matched up with Jacques, Alcott, and Montgomery, and a couple others whose names escape me!
Emilee
Erin
Cat Royal (am I the only one who pronounces it like roy-ahl?) is a delight. Also, She should totally end up with A certain boxing leader of a gang...(yes, the good one!)
Qnpoohbear
Cat Royal's second adventure begins with her friend Pedro about to become the darling of London with his performance as Ariel in Shakespeare's The Tempest. Pedro's owner arrives to claim Pedro as his slave and return the boy to the plantation in Jamaica. Cat must call upon her friends, Lord Francis and Lizzie and their mother's abolitionist friends for help. Cat manages to run afoul of Master Hawkins and has to flee the only home she's ever known. Cat needs the assistance of her friends more tha...more
Bookworm1858
Cat Among the Pigeons by Julia Golding
Roaring Brook Press, 2006
362 pages
YA; Historical
4/5 stars

Source: Library

I didn't mention this but just like the first book, the first pages of this book share hilarious blurbs from such distinguished personages as Samuel Taylor Coleridge and Beethoven.

Sequel to The Diamond of Drury Lane, where we are introduced to Cat Royal, Pedro Hawkins, and her assorted friends, acquaintances, and enemies in and around the theater.

I think I actually liked this even more t...more
Lauren
I love these books, and I can't quite put my finger on why. Complexity? Characters? Setting? It may be every single solitary element of that wonderful setting of the wonderful Golding. I just love this other side of London, with every element, from the foul-mouthed tought justice market to the tea rooms of Grosvenor Square. It's so much fun and so interesting and super realistic, while being fanciful. My best way to describe these books is that I think these books are the best for someone who do...more
Cherrylea
Finally I found this book - my library only had the first and the third, whatever that was about, and I'm a stickler for reading in order.
In this book, I think the greatest thing is probably Cat's voice. She's such an entertaining narrator - no wonder she wishes to be a writer, and will certainly be successful in that venue. Her voice is bright, and this book certainly falls into the category of books with "voice," obviously. Drury lane never gets old, now with Pedro's freedom in jeopardy and C...more
Sarai
I have not read the first in this series, but the book had a nice little explanatory blurb at the front to catch up readers in my situation.

This was not filled with historical detail, so if that's the kind of fiction you're looking for, this is not it. This is light and fast. I would have preferred to give it a 3.5 rating.

Product description:
Barbara
A great continuation of this historical fiction series! Cat's friend Pedro is reclaimed by his former slave owner. In trying to help him, Cat ends up on the run from the police and disguises herself as a boy at an upper class boys school. Addresses abolition of slavery and gender issues of the time.

Cat Royale, resident orphan of the famous Drury Lane Theater in 1790's London, is back with her friend Pedro, an African slave boy starring as Ariel in The Tempest at the theater. The action starts wh...more
Gatorgal21

Cat Among the Pigeons
By Julia Golding
The second in the Cat Royal Adventures

Cat Royal is back! And she’s still as short and loveable as ever. She and Pedro are living quite happily in Theater Royal until Pedro’s old master marches in and demands that Pedro belongs to him. He plans to haul him off to Jamaica plantation as soon as he can. Well not if Cat Royal has anything to say about it!
Follow Cat on another page tearing adventure as she goes to crazy, sometimes dangerous lengths to save her...more
Jenny
Cat Royal is back in her second adventure. This time trouble finds our orphan who lives at the Theater Royal, Drury Lane, in the form of her friend Pedro. Pedro is an African boy sold into slavery, now an apprenctice to an Italian musician. Pedro's former master shows up, trying to reclaim his property, but Cat and the theater community don't see it the same way. Cat must flee Drury Lane just before the Bow Street runners show up to arrest her for "assaulting" Pedro's former master who tried to...more
Exavidreader
Jun 21, 2009 Exavidreader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Shelves: fiction
A little something different from the usual stories I've read. It is set sometime in the regency era (I think), usually used in romance novels but this time, the characters are not adults but children. It regales the adventures of Cat, an orphan, and her friends as they try to protect her best friend from being sent back to slavery. Good lesson for children, to have faith that they, too, can do something to change the world even if they are still young.
Honestly, however, everything about the boo...more
Meghan
Still didn't like that it was in play format. Surprised how much Cat got away with.
Stephanie
I'm between 4 and 5 stars for this one. Really leaning towards 5 but I'm not ready to commit to that! I take 5 stars very seriously! This book is definitely better than the first in the series. Golding brilliantly navigates some very dangerous waters... hats off to her! The books openly examines everything from gender and women's rights to racism and socioeconomic class. I'm impressed. This felt like something I would have liked to discuss in Victorian class.
Lia Marcoux
I have only dim misty recollections of the first book in the series, but I really enjoyed this one, mostly because Golding writes great villains. Billy Shepherd is a delicious character. I'm most likely going to finish the series because I want to see more of the relationship between him and Cat (not in a shipping way, but it's rare to have such a compelling sociopath in a kid's story! In a good way! Really!). Also, I learned a new word! It's not polite.
Allison
This time Cat has found herself in trouble after trying to save her friend Pedro from returning to his old slave master. And to keep from being thrown into prison she has to go undercover at an all boys school. As usual there is much excitment as Cat tries to get herself out of this sticky situation.

It's another great and charming book from the very funny author Julia Golding. This would be a good read for any pre-teen or YA readers.
Salima Korri
Another adventurous tale. Even though its doesn't mainly focus on historical detail its still an enjoyable read. I love how the book is formatted as a script with scenes and a character profile in the front. It make sit more interesting to read and intriguing.

Cat Royal is too fun to be with and in this second book she proves how she values friendship above all and what it takes her to save her friend, Pedro from being taken away overseas.
Miss Clark
Continuing Cat Royal's misadventures and escapades, Cat Among the Pigeons focuses on the Abolition movement in England once Pedro is taken by his slave master, who wants to reclaim him and take him back to Jamaica to be made an example of. Highly enjoyable drama, just like a good play. A farce, but one that still transports the individual to another realm and offers a glimpse of another world, if only for a little while.
Kate Forsyth
This is a great historical adventure series for kids, about a feisty girl called Cat who lives at the Theatre Royal, in Drury Lane, in Georgian times. I really enjoyed this book, which centres on the attempt of a slave-trader to recapture his escaped slave, Pedro, who is Cat's best friend and a talented musician and actor. An exciting story which also has a lot to say about the importance of personal liberty. Loved it!
Erin
A fun adventure story featuring a young teen orphan (Cat Royal) trying to save her friend Pedro from being reclaimed into slavery by his evil master in 1790s London. Very fast-paced and exciting! It's the 2nd in a series (1st was The Diamond of Drury Lane), and I'm looking forward to reading the third (Den of Thieves)!

For Readers' Advisors: story doorway, with setting & character as secondary doorways
Thebruce1314
The story was pretty good - relatively fast-paced and probably would appeal to a wider audience if the main character didn't keep referring to the Reader as female. But what I really liked about it - nothing to do with the story, I know - is the binding. For some reason the hardcover version of this book is just really pleasing to hold: it's smooth and rounded and the perfect size. Four stars for that alone.
Nic
LOVE IT almost as good as number 3 maybe even better not sure need to read number 1
Kell
Julia Golding isn’t afraid to tackle big themes, even though they’re aimed at a younger audience. In The Diamond of Drury Lane, the story revolved around political activism and freedom of speech; this time it’s slavery. Golding never condescends to her audience and she handles her subject matter with great skill. The characters and situations are all wonderful and incredibly real.
Erin Sterling
Cat Among the Pigeons is the second book about Cat Royal, a scrappy independent girl who lives in a theater in London. Having befriended Pedro, an African boy with great musical talent, this time she has to help save him from becoming a slave again to a wicked man who's come to London to hunt him down. As before, her escapades are fun and adventurous.
Warnie B.
Again, totally fun! This one felt a little darker than the first one...Cat's in some real hot water with that creepo Billy Shepherd! This series has some really ridiculous situations and probably isn't very historically accurate at all, but really, who cares? I'm very much enjoying the adventures of Cat and her loyal gang.
Rainheart
Ok, now, i know what i said about the first book. that it wasnt adventerous, blah blah blah. but THIS book is much better. its got a lot of adventer, along with suspense. these are like my favorite things. although its not fantasy, i like it as a realistic book. i like Cat's taste for disguise; she could fool anyone.
  • Good Fortune
  • When I Crossed No-Bob
  • Assassin (Lady Grace Mysteries, #1)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #3)
  • By Royal Command (At the House of the Magician)
  • Journey to Nowhere (Remembrance "Mem" Nye #1)
  • The Scribes from Alexandria (Roman Mysteries, #15)
  • The Silver Blade (French Revolution, #2)
  • Hunted (Medusa Project, #4)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
Julia Golding grew up on the edge of Epping Forest. After reading English at Cambridge, she joined the Foreign Office and served in Poland.

On leaving Poland, she exchanged diplomacy for academia and took a doctorate in the literature of the English Romantic Period at Oxford. She then joined Oxfam as a lobbyist on conflict issues, campaigning at the UN and with governments to lessen the impact of c...more
More about Julia Golding...
Dragonfly Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1) The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal, #1) The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2) Mines of the Minotaur (The Companions Quartet, #3)