Start by marking “A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin, #3)

A Better Quality of Murder (Lizzie Martin #3)

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  30 reviews
As Inspector Ben Ross of Scotland Yard walks homeward one Saturday night in late October 1867, the fog that swirls around him is like a living beast. By the time it has lifted next morning a woman lies murdered in Green Park. Allegra Benedict was the beautiful Italian wife of an art dealer in Piccadilly.
Published December 9th 2010 by Headline (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Better Quality of Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Better Quality of Murder

Lena Schoensee
Dieses Buch hat mir definitiv einen anderen Blick auf das viktorianische London gegeben. Mit der Zeitphase um die Jack the Ripper-Morde habe ich mich schon einmal beschäftigt und weiß ein wenig Bescheid. Dieser Krimi jedoch spielt ca. 20 Jahre zuvor, in den späten 1860er Jahren und gibt einen meiner Meinung nach wudnerbaren Einblick in die Londoner Gesellschaft und in das Stadtbild.

Gerade am Anfang wird der Ort des Schauspiels, eingehüllt in dichten Nebel, in einer Art und Weise geschildert, wie
Jerelyn
Victorian mystery… need I say more? But as I do so often I grab a book and don’t check to see if it is the first or fifteenth in the series. This is the third in the series, it has shades of Ann Perry’s, Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mystery series. Only in that the protagonists are a husband and wife, and the husband is an Inspector for Scotland Yard. I liked Lizzie and Ben Ross, and their maid Bessie. Bessie was my favorite, a spunky plain spoken girl, who made me laugh. I had no idea who did it, ...more
Cathy Macleod
Vivid Victorian scenes and a brilliant whodunit
Usually I get an inkling of the killer but this brilliant plot defied all my guesses. The devious truth, when exposed by Inspector Ross and Lizzie, his love, is wholly plausible and yet a challenge to armchair detectives like me. The author must have thought long and hard to work it all out. Every detail, eventually, is convincingly explained.
The suspects are interesting in themselves as well as in their possible links to three murders. Ross and Liz
Helen
Oct. 1867 - 4 months after the BNA Act came into effect - Waterloo Bridge - where Bryant & May meet every evening in modern time. We bring our whole minds to a book and it colours our reaction to it.
In this detective mystery we have prostitutes strangled and dropped in the Thames, two upper class ladies strangled, one in Green Park, one on a train and the question is whether the events are connected. Inspector Ross is concerned about his wife's safety, but is unable to keep her out of his i
Martha
A really enjoyable series. You know from the first chapter that you are in competent hands and can relax and enjoy the ride. The prose is smooth without glaring anachronisms, the characters well developed. The mystery was intriguing and believable enough to keep my attention, and I liked the alternating points of view (Ben and Lizzie Ross).
Beth
Another melodramatic and delightfully escapist tale of Lizzie and Inspector Ben Ross. On a side note, I was surprised to find them married! I felt like I must have missed a book, since Lizzie and Ben were not even engaged at the end of the previous book. I am disappointed that the author didn't let us read about their engagement and wedding.
Bibliobee
I was so excited for this book to be released that I rushed out to purchase it as soon as my local book store had got a copy in. I was very let down after reading A Better Quality of Murder. I found the mystery itself to be particularly transparent. I was disappointed to find that the main characters (Lizzie Martin and her husband Ben Ross) had not evolved in any way after three novels. To be blunt, they were boring. I cannot help but imagine the authoress-- Ann Granger-- is in a bit of a funk ...more
Nigel
I hadn't had much experience of crime novels set in this period, the odd Conan Doyle was about it, so I didn't know what to expect.
It was a little twee, and the pace was definitely different to my usual read, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. The main characters were well written, the writing style made me comfortable about the time and setting and it did seem quite believable. This was my first Granger novel, so I will look for her again especially others of this series.
S.e.
I've read several Ann Granger mysteries over the years, and I always enjoy her books. Although this is the third in the Lizzie Martin series(Lizzie is the wife of Scotland Yard detective Ben Ross), it is the first that I have read in the series. I liked the characters, setting, and time period. Although there are murders, the book is not violent. Also the language is clean. The mystery is a good one and does not leave any loose ends. I hope to get the others Lizzie Martin books soon.
Cheryl
Having never read anything by this author, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. The author does a nice job of evoking the period feeling of London, giving enough information to allow you to glimpse what it might have been like to live in those times without boring the reader with too much detail. I also liked the ending of the book, surprising as it was; suffice it to say that it was a true reality check on the trade-offs that often must be made.
Stacey
a novek that gives you quite a light read.
John
Chocolate box Conservative claptrap of the tweedy variety. A wealthy woman goes missing in a thick smog in London in 1851, and this begins a dull police investigation involving some dull love affair. All the working class characters talk in that fake Musical Hall cockney accent so beloved of Walt Disney films of 1960s (and Family Guy). The London smog features prominently, although smogs of such thickness were rare before the 1890s.
Lisa C
I read or listened to an earlier book in this series, and thought that I didn't like it very much. Fortunately, I'd forgotten that when I downloaded this book, because it was the perfect backdrop to being stuck indoors. I'm desperately looking for another like it so I have some encouragement to clean out closets this weekend.
Bigbear Woolliscroft
I had heard good things about the Lizzie Martin series, so I thought I would give it a go. The changing perspective of the narrator was quite fun, but I failed to engage with the story, or more accurately, I guessed the outcome after the first two chapters and the rest of the story was just waiting for it to end already.
Jane Glen
I am a fan of Granger's other series with Mitchell and Markby. Another excellent British mystery series. This takes place in Victorian times and was just as good. She captures the flavour of early London very well. It reminds me somewhat of Anne Perry's mysteries, but I liked this one even better.
Carol
I like historical mysteries of almost any era, but Victorian murder mysteries are a favourite and the best author, in my opinion, in this genre is Anne Perry. I have read a couple of books by Ann Granger and, although I have enjoyed them, Granger is a long way from being Ann Perry.
Harold
Slow moving narrative. Dreary as its London fog.
Deanne
Good mystery set in foggy Victorian London, quick read which kept me entertained. Was amused that one of the characters put Ashby-de-la-zouche in Derbyshire, last time I looked it was in Leicestershire, maybe it's been moved.
Emily
I was pretty intriuged by the plot and that was what made me borrow the book. But, it turned out to be a disappointment. I don't usually think that a book is hard to digest but this particular book is (for me)...
Vera
What a boring read. Simplistic language that's almost patronizing, lame plot. Kept reading because I needed something simple during a time of bereavement. The book was rather annoying. A lesser quality of writing.
Sandra Schwarz
I just love the Lizzie Martin series. However this time around the book is more focussed on her now husband Ben Ross, which I didn't like as much. But still a good read.
Margareth8537
Have only recently discovered this author. Love Anne Perry, and find her quite similar. Thoroughly enjoyable read
Cheryl
Being a regular mystery reader, this was a different era than I am used to. I enjoyed this very much.
Lisa
A change of scenery from previous ann grangers i have read. Some lovely characters not a bad story
Jen
Very enjoyable although perhaps not as good as the 2nd (previous) book in the series.
Johanna
Love Ann Granger! A good cozy read. Lizzie took a backseat in this one though.
Peter Dyer
good description of old England in the 1800's
Sharon
What a lovely book to read I enjoyed it totally.
Annie
Good easy read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Delayed? 1 7 Jul 15, 2010 06:45PM
  • Bones Under the Beach Hut (Fethering, #12)
  • Good Bait
  • A Place of Confinement (A Dido Kent Mystery, #4)
  • Damsel in Distress (Daisy Dalrymple, #5)
  • Playing With Bones (Joe Plantagenet, #2)
  • A Most Dangerous Woman (Sarah Tanner, #1)
  • Kitty Peck and the Music Hall Murders
  • The Prisoner of Brenda
  • Funeral Note
  • The Poison Maiden (Mathilde of Westminster, #2)
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • No Trace (Brock & Kolla, #8)
  • Naming The Bones
  • Devoured
Ann Granger has worked in British embassies in various parts of the world. She met her husband, who was also working for the British Embassy, in Prague and together they received postings to places as far apart as Munich and Lusaka. They are now permanently based in Oxfordshire.

Her first novels were historical romances published under the nom de plume Ann Hulme.
More about Ann Granger...

Lizzie Martin (5 books)
  • The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1)
  • A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin, #2)
  • A Particular Eye for Villainy (Lizzie Martin, #4)
  • The Testimony of the Hanged Man (Lizzie Martin, #5)
Say It with Poison (Mitchell and Markby, #1) The Companion (Lizzie Martin, #1) A Season for Murder (Mitchell and Markby Village, #2) A Mortal Curiosity (Lizzie Martin, #2) Murder Among Us (Mitchell and Markby Village, #4)