Start by marking “School Days (Spenser, #33)” as Want to Read:
School Days (Spenser, #33)

School Days (Spenser #33)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,797 Ratings  ·  271 Reviews
Spenser has been hired by a wealthy client to clear her grandson of a multiple homicide. But though he's accused of seven murders, young Jared Clark seems unconcerned by the prospect of spending the rest of his life behind bars, causing our gritty investigator to wonder whether he's merely propping up a losing cause.
Published January 1st 2005 by No Exit

Kemper
Spenser gets hired by the grandmother of a teenager accused of being one of two kids who went on a shooting spree in their high school and killed several of the students and teachers. The grandmother is convinced that he is innocent despite being caught at the scene and giving a confession to the police. When Spenser starts investigating he finds that everyone involved, even the kid’s parents and his lawyer, just want to get him put in prison as soon as possible.

I didn’t remember a lot about thi
Bea
Dec 23, 2012 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lily Ellsworth does not believe that her grandson Jared Clark is guilty of the school shooting, despite the evidence and his confession. She is a grand old dame who has money to hire the best. She chooses to hire Spenser.

Spenser is not entirely convinced of Jared's innocence but, during the investigation, he runs into police, school officials, and even the boy's parents who all seem to want Spenser to stop looking into the shooting and leave things alone. Spenser is determined to get to the bott
Ardaaydin
Oct 29, 2014 Ardaaydin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not sure about this book since its a series.What i mean is this is one of the Detective Spenser's book series.Its not the last one or the first one, so i kinda question it but i really liked this book afterwards.
Spencer the main guy is a detective and its on a case of school shooting.Grandmother of an teenage Massachusetts boy hires Spenser to unrevial the secret of Shooting in his school. Before i bought this book, we know lately there were a lot of school shooting.So this book gave me mo
Jerry
May 05, 2016 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading “Days” was for us bittersweet as this 33rd in Parker’s original 39-book Spenser series concluded our reading of that entire bibliography. {We are indeed reading the extended set written by Ace Atkins however…} The plot seems all too familiar these days, as two high school kids decide to enter a somewhat exclusive school and seemingly randomly shoot and kill several students and a teacher for no apparent reason. Both killers are captured and destined for at least life sentences if not the ...more
William
I just choose this book from the list of 30-odd "Spenser" books by Robert B. Parker. I remember reading them 20 years ago when I did a lot more airplane travel, before laptops and ipods and cell phones.

I also remember moving quickly past Parker to the grittier Elmore Leonard. Spenser was too damn perfect. His sidekick Hawk is able to leap tall building in a single bound, and both of them can beat anyone in a fight. His girlfriend is perfect. Their stupid dog, Pearl, is perfect. It was just too
June Ahern
Robert Parker is an entertaining author, and that's why his books continue to sell. As one reviewer noted, the stories are all the same, predictable - except for the murdered & victims, and town setting. True, but it's for Spencer (PI) and Jesse Stone (small town chief of police) (the main detective/sleuths) we, Parker's fans)come back for more. The books are easy reads and perfect for a lazy day, before sleep (don't even have to figure anything out) and/or a plane ride. Pick one up. Enjoy. ...more
Marti
Mar 17, 2015 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two boys shoot up a high school near Spenser. Susan is off down South doing some graduate work, so it is up to Spenser and Pearl to solve the case. THere was a case years ago where a woman teacher claimed to be in love with a young student--and later married him. Here, it is a guidance counselor--who must need some guidance herself--and what turned out to be a 14 year old retarded boy whom she was trying to adjust.
Cindy
Dec 15, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spenser investigates a school shooting on behalf of one of a pair of teenagers, both of whom survive and confess, and he becomes invested, as he does, in the why and how of their crimes. No Susan or Hawk but a few of the usual supporting cast. interesting twist to the story.
Metagion
Aug 11, 2014 Metagion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
School shootings are, unfortunately, happening more and more every day. A shooting in the small town of Dowling, Massachusetts brings Spenser to find out if the teenagers that did it: Jared Clark and Wendell Grant--had really done it and for what reason. Apparently Jared Clark's Grandmother doesn't believe that her grandchild really did it, and she needs Spenser to find out the truth, even though it looks like an open-and-shut case...but the more Spenser gives, the more things aren't as they see ...more
Holli
One thing be can be said about Spenser, he has an interesting life. Every time he gets a case, it opens a door to insanity. The books are still kind of repetitive, but I like Spenser and his humor. It's always interesting to see what he's going to do with some of the dodos he has to deal with in the midst of his investigations.
Denise Westlake
Oct 21, 2014 Denise Westlake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
335 delightful large print pages! I love Spencer... he's a guy I'd always want on my side.
Simon McDonald
At this stage, I’ve read so many of Robert B. Parker’s Spenser novels, but at the same time, not nearly enough. Whenever I read one of these hard-boiled mysteries I’m astonished as to why Parker didn’t make more of a name for himself outside of the United States. He deserves his comparisons to Chandler, and Spenser is unquestionably worthy of a place in fiction’s ‘Top 10 Private Investigators of All Time.’ School Days is further validation of these plaudits.

When two students in ski-masks execute
Steve
Apr 02, 2014 Steve rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another Robert B Parker book and another character to explore to go along with Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall, and like those two Spenser is in the same mould. He is a private investigator and has an errant spouse in Susan but like, Jenn and Richie they still feature in the lives of their other halves, can’t live with them can’t live without them. But Spenser has been called to investigate one of two boy who blew a fuse and shot to death a number of students and teachers at a local school, Do ...more
Richard
For me, Robert B. Parker is one of the best writers to read when you're on a plane, with plenty of time and not so much energy. This is one of his better, late "Spencer" novels, with a topical, important subject. It is also helped, in my opinion, that two of the series staple supporting characters, Spencer's love interest Susan and assistant Hawk, barely appear in this. That makes for less "going through the motions" and opens up the novel to what I like, Spencer's tough guy persona, his one-lin ...more
Kia
Mar 24, 2015 Kia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spenser is back in a school shooting case. There are two kids charged with the crime, but only one of them was in the room with guns, dead bodies and a ski mask when the police burst in to arrest them. That's Wendell Grant. The other kid is Jared Clark. Jared's wealthy grandmother comes to Spenser to reassure herself that her grandson isn't guilty. She will accept no other version of the facts. Spenser doesn't promise to find out that he isn't guilty, but does promise the truth.

This seems to be
David
Mar 29, 2011 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
At last, a Parker novel that's more about actual detective work than displaying one's level of male hormones, well.. almost..

This time, Spenser is hired to investigate a Columbine-like shooting by the grandmother of one of the shooters. Though he is in custody and has confessed to having a part in the crime, she doesn't think he is guitly and wantsSpenser to prove it.

Spenser sets about in his usual break-all-the rules manner and soon has everybody in the whole town pretty much ticked off at hi
Mark
Aug 22, 2012 Mark rated it really liked it
Well for a change it seems mr. Parker does write the occasional who-dunnit this this it is more of a why-dunnit.
The subject of the novel could not be more current, two teenagers shoot up a school. One of the teenagers dissappears and the other one surrenders. After that he kind of points out the other kid and he too gets arrested and admits to his deeds.
Enter the grandmother of the second teen who wants to hire Spenser to prove her grandson was innocent. Spenser sets out to do so but in the proc
LJ
SCHOOL DAYS (Private Investigator-Massachusetts-Cont) – VG
Parker, Robert – 34th in series
Putnam, 2005 – Hardcover
Wealthy Lily Ellsworth hires Spencer to uncover the innocence of her grandson, Jared. It's not going to be easy as he has confessed two being one of two boys responsible for killing seven people in a school shooting. As Spencer becomes involved in the investigation, he feels there's something missing and no one has asked why Jered might have done this.
*** Once again, Parker demonstrat
Tim
Dec 18, 2014 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Another Spenser novel I never read when it came out, and I think I can see why. There's a "he's phoning it in" sense to this one, and it's a horrible crime (a school shooting) that cannot really lend itself to a sympathetic airing, though Parker is unusually clever in constructing a plot here. Plus virtually no Susan and only the briefest mention of Hawk--what was he thinking?

An incredibly light read given the hideousness of the subject matter. A few hours at most.
Boulder Boulderson
A bit of an interesting take on the school-shooting phenomenon which has overtaken America. Spenser, rather than just writing off the shooters as everyone else seems keen to, tries to investigate the cause and reasons behind the shootings, and ensure justice is done also to the adults involved.

As with all the Spenser novels, what keeps it going is the humour and physicality of Spenser himself, so if you like that then read, if you don't then don't.
Kristi
I've only read a few Spenser novels before this one. I enjoy Spenser as a character and his wit. This book was interesting in that Spenser is not particularly concerned with if his client's grandson did indeed participate in the school shooting (it seems pretty obvious that he did), but is driven by the question of why it occurred. The novel takes some twists and turns along the way to the final outcome.
Rebecca
Spenser investigates a school shooting, at the behest of the grandmother of one of the shooters. It was creepy to read this book, written in 2006, and to think about how many more school shootings, and other mass shootings, there have been since then. Really -- why can't we do something about guns that keeps them out of the hands of people who don't need them? And really? Who needs guns?
Jeff
Jul 25, 2011 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Another solid outing with tough Boston private eye Spenser. The formula is a little different the some of the others I had read. This time our favorite PI has been hired to look into a spree shooting at a private school. Two teenagers have been arrested for the carnage and Spenser has been hired by one of the accused's grandmother to prove his innocence. Unlike some of the other books, Susan is out of town at a conference and with the exeception of a few phone calls, she is not in the book at al ...more
Ed
Jul 27, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#33 in the Spenser series.

Spenser is hired by rich Lily Ellsworth to investigate her grandson's alleged participation in a school shooting. The captured gunman has implicated grandson Jared, who has confessed. Spenser pokes and prods around a seemingly closed case that no one including Jared wants him to interfere with. Hawk is absent and Susan is in NC; Rita Fiore makes passes.
Karla Oates
Nov 13, 2015 Karla Oates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great read...

Robert B. Parker's Spenser series is probably my favorite series. I have read many series and was not sure at first that I would continue reading Spenser, but Mr. Parker did such a wonderful job of developing the characters that I continued to sink deeper and deeper under the spell of Spenser's marvelous sense of humor and love able ego.
Dale
Oct 22, 2012 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A throwback to the early days of 'Spenser'

This edition of Spenser reminded me of the early days of the series - the days before Spenser would assemble a gigantic posse of bad guys and policemen (ie, Potshot) in order to get the job done. Thankfully, this one is also basically Susan Silverman-free (not that I mind Susan, it's all of the repeated conversations about their relationship - it just gets old!)

Unfortunately, School Days is also Hawk-free, so the experienced reader of Spenser books wil
Eliana
What can you say about a writer who can conjure up the likes of Spenser as well as Hawk. Their repartee is the hook and the plots and additional characters reel you in. Anyone who has lived in Boston will particularly enjoy the settings and characters. I am trying to finish up reading every single one of the Spenser series. Almost done!
Lynette
I did like this book but, be aware, it is about 2 boys who mastermind and follow through with a school shooting. I will read the other books by Robert Parker in the voice of Spenser the detective. One of the shooters grandmother is adamant that her grandson is innocent of the shooting and hires Spenser to prove his innocence.
Victoria
Nov 05, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Spenser particularly for his smart aleck remarks which are usually hilarious. This one was without Hawk and only included Susan on the last two pages. Of course Spenser talked about them, especially Susan. This was not better than the others. They are all good. This one was too.
Maria
Feb 15, 2011 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this in my free copies bin at the library and found it full of snappy clever dialogue and plenty of fun and mild suspense. Part of the Spenser series, I believe this author may have created the Spenser for Hire television show from many years ago. In any event, this Spenser is a very likeable smart aleck in a committed relationship (how refreshing) who helps the cops solve crime in Boston. I love Spenser as a character; he doesn't take himself too seriously, he has scruples and int ...more
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Self's Deception (Gerhard Self #2)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • One Fearful Yellow Eye (Travis McGee #8)
  • Noir
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Spenser (1 - 10 of 44 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)

“Well, I give you credit for optimism,” 0 likes