Start by marking “Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)” as Want to Read:
Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  15,632 ratings  ·  747 reviews
Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon.

I'm Gin Blanco.

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I’m retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant.
Published May 25th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Web of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web of Lies

Graceling by Kristin CashoreThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasPoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksGrave Mercy by Robin LaFevers
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
28th out of 745 books — 3,104 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
136th out of 2,811 books — 9,796 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
So basically I kind of like this series. First of all because Gin may be a bleeding heart who'll take a job just because she hears a sobstory - but it also turns out she's a real bitch. Something I can really appreciate.

I've never told anybody this before but I also relate to Gin because I too am a female assassin.

This is totally me in my assassin garb getting ready to take down anybody I see dog-earring a book!

Okay... maybe not.

But I want to be! I plan on grabbing on of the fake katana from the
Aug 05, 2011 Limonessa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Limonessa by: Maja
Shelves: uf-or-pnr, fantasy
3.5 stars.

This is not a review.
This is my rant directed towards one of the least likable love interests in the history of Urban Fantasy: Mr. Donovan Caine.
Or donovancaine, which has a certain assonance to a potent anesthetizer, and is truly appropriate, because that's exactly what he does to me. One of the most hypocritical, double-faced, backboneless men ever to have roamed the pages of a UF novel. And I loathe those kind of men - and who wouldn't?
Not only his ethics are just figments of hi
At the age of 15 Donovan Caine suffered a terrible life altering trauma. His mother stopped breast feeding him. He was disconsolate. Not even his extensive Furby collection could turn that frown upside down. The result...Donovan Caine became a complete ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat.

This book is really great but I'm holding the 5th star hostage. Ms Estep, if you want the 5th star kill ass-hat by 5pm, May 29. The method of death should be gruesome and would be nice if it inv
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
****************Re-read June 2015****************
4.5 Stars

This was a great follow up to Spider's Bite. Sometimes sequels just can't measure up, but that's not the case here. Gin is just as strong and badass as she was in the first book. I have a serious girl-crush on her and wish there were more heroines like her out there.

I loved how we opened the book straight in the middle of a robbery. It dropped me right into the action and gave Gin's personality a chance to shine right out of the gate. And shine it does. Her sarcasm and wit is just as sh
Web of Lies
3.5 Stars

Compelling world building, an entertaining storyline and well-developed characters but the pacing is off and the writing repetitive at times.

Gin is a truly engaging heroine whose snarky, tough-as-nails assassin persona conceals a warm heart, a profound sense of justice and an intense loyalty for those who have earned it. She does, however, have one significant flaw - her taste in men.

Donovan Caine's pathetic air of superiority and inability to love, respect or accept Gin wi
This series is terrific! Thank you Alicia for the recommendation :)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
If I wasn't completely in love with the kick butt bad a$% that is Gin Blanco before reading Web of Lies, I am most certainly am now after finishing it.

Truly, this series has me, hook, line, and sinker.

Can this series get any better? A kick butt, strong heroine with a sense of self and a sense of humor. Side kicks galore that are pretty darn amazing and loyal themselves and action non stop as well as a paranormal (giants, dwarfs, vampires, magic) side and oh yeah, some pretty steamy sexual tensio

Web of Lies is the second book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series. Our heroine Gin Blanco has now retired from her extremely lucrative career as The Spider and has now settled down working at her restaurant The Pork Pitt. Gin finds retirement a little boring. When the opportunity to help Fletcher’s old friend Warren Fox arises, Gin agrees to do the job.

There are a lot of things to love about this series. The author builds an imaginative world where some people have the abil
YES! I love it when a series gets better from the first one! This book really got me into the groove with this character and this world. I really am interested in the magic, there were fun character twists and...

THANK GOD FOR THE LOVE INTEREST RESOLUTION! It was my main criticism from the last one, and so happy the author was brave enough to switch gears and it's looking like a GOOD DIRECTION! Ok, I wanna be vague, but I'm totally in for #3!
I have to say that I'm impressed. WEB OF LIES has exceeded my expectations this time around and I am looking forward to zipping through this series fast. I have come to love these characters even more except *cough*DonovanCaine*cough*, I didn't think an assassins life could get anymore exciting, but boy, was I wrong.

Our heroine Gin is retired or at least she is trying to stay retired, but being The Spider, the best assassin out there has been calling for her to get that excitement back in her li
Shanshad Whelan
I really really wish I could say I liked this book--I like a lot of the worldbuilding, and the plotting is rather entertaining. There's steamy romance, a hard nosed assassin with a good heart and a great talent for cooking. There are some fascinating secondary characters. I have a minor grievance with opting for ice rather than water and stone rather than earth as the major elemental powers against fire and air, but that's authorial choice.

This big problem, and the reason I had to put this book
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Thanks to Lauren Fortgang's mesmerizing voice, Jennifer Estep's poignant first person POV writing style and Gin Blanco's stellar personality; the Elemental Assassin books are rapidly turning into one of the best Urban Fantasy series that I have ever read. So much so, that I find myself forsaking all of the other lovely novels on my shelves because I can't seem to get enough of this amazing story. I rarely step into a heroine's shoes while reading but with this series it's
Mike (the Paladin)
This "series" (this is only the second in said series) drew me in when I read the first book. Our heroine (a former assassin) is well written and the stories move fast. There is what I've come to think of as the "obligatory" love interest (a detective) but in the first book that boiled down to some lustful dreaming on the female protagonist's part and one big steamy sex scene.

HOWEVER I am forced to drop my rating of this book down to 3 stars. I'm not writing off the series. I plan to try the nex
I think I'm done with this series! Not because of the story (the world-building is great!) but because of the REPETITIONS!!!

I'm extremely sad because if not for the constant repetitions, I would give this book 4-5 stars! I don't know if it's the author's fault or the editor's fault, but it felt like the author thought I suffered from a seriously short-term memory and that's why she had to repeat the previous book almost word for word. I wish I was kidding!

I think it was almost unnecessary fo
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
This is the second book in the Elemental Assassin series. The first book got better even as I read it, after a slightly unsure start. Now it seems the series is only going to continue in the same vein, getting better and better with each novel.

Detective Donovan Caine is still on the scene, although perhaps trying to distance himself slightly, as he still clearly doesn't approve of Gin's job. It is, after all, against everything he stands for as a cop, to let someone go around killing people for
4.5 Action-packed STARS!

I love it when the book carries me away to a fantasy world full of mystery, suspense and action, sprinkled with intense emotions, I'm a goner for sure!

Gin retired? I doubt it. Trouble is her middle name! Gin, the fiery , kick-ass, sassy, spunky. smart, powerful and passionate assassin. And she's become more powerful too! I love her!

And I love her team, her family! Fin, her foster brother and now her handler, Jo-jo, the air elemental and healing dwarf (I wish she were my
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Let me begin by saying, Donovan Caine is a weenie-toad. Now that I have that off my chest...

Web of Lies picks up about 2 months after Spider's Bite left off. Gin has retired from her life as an assassin and is now running the BBQ restaurant her foster-father Fletcher had left her in his will. Things are going smoothly (maybe a little too smoothly) when a punk kid, wielding fire magic, and one of his friends tries to hold up the Pork Pit. He threatens a young co-ed customer and Gin can see mur
I enjoy this series about (semi)retired assassin Gin Blanco. The world building is good and the magic system based on command of certain elements is very creative. Gin herself is a sympathetic narrator and I also enjoy her relationships and banter with her friends. The romance so far hasn't really gone anywhere and I'm hopeful, that since one interest seems to be exiting as the other is leaving, we won't be subjected to a prolonged love triangle. Really, the only think I don't particularly like ...more
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Ok let me get the rant part of this review over with….. Bye, Bye Dick-tective Douche Bag! That’s all I will say so that I don’t spoil you guys but those of you that have read this series will know what I mean.

Web of Lies takes place about 2 months after the events in Spider’s Bite. And we find that Gin has been retired after taking a long vacation and is now running the Pork Pit full time. But what does a retired assassin do when she gets bored?

She plans the murder of one of the rich douche bags
OK I like Gin and love narrator Lauren Fortgang. I could listen to her read a shopping list. However, there so very much repetition! I understand that when you write a series you have to fill in back ground previous events for folks who maybe haven't read all the book in order but dear God you don't need to tell me each thing 5 times in the same book! Also, what is with using a characters full name every time they come up?

The stories are fun but stop telling what I already know and stop describi
Kathy Davie
Second in the paranormal Elemental Assassin series, Web of Lies as a title doesn’t make any sense to me. Yeah, okay, Web could stand for Gin’s nickname, Spider. It could refer to the web of connections throughout the city of Ashland. The Lies part, well, everyone in Ashland lies on a daily basis to survive but there are no real lies there because, deep down, everyone knows what everyone else really is. Well, okay, there is an exception. Extremely few people know that Gin is an assassin, a retire ...more
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
Gin has "retired". She's running the Pork Pit. And she's bored! Good thing trouble knows just where to find her.

I really enjoyed the ongoing story of Gin - she's still pretty brash and quite the kick*ass and never boring. I like the direction the story is taking as far as helping others who can't help themselves and it's good that Gin is coming along that way. I love how the whole "family" is involved but hate not knowing everything. I guess I just have to "keep reading"! (I know....I just told
Amanda The Book Slayer
Jul 25, 2010 Amanda The Book Slayer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good supernatural book.
Great second book in series!!!!

*Gin kicks butt throughout the whole book again, no more retirement for her.
*Sexy new character, Owen Grayson, is introduced. Compliments Gin's Character.
*You can almost smell and taste the food that in discussed in book.
*Plenty of action,adventure, with a dash of romance that keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

*Donovan is a jerk the whole book, but leaves in the end. Sad but there it is.

Fav. Quotes:
"That being said, if somebody pushes
Same likes and dislikes as the previous book. The only problem is that, being a second book, all those little details that were just a little bit annoying before are turning to be real groan-inducing problems.

If it were for the story alone, it'd be a 5. Even so, I think it good enough to compensate greatly for the annoying things.

Let's see:
-Donovan Caine: it seems to be some sort of pet character for Estep and she tries to force us to like him and go all "oh" and "ah" over his and Gin's (lack of
I liked this one better than the first. I think the reason I'm having trouble with it is because I keep expected the Elements to be more traditional. I mean, Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, right? No. Stone, Air, Fire, and Ice. WTF? That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me as preferable and it becomes a blip on my radar while I'm reading.

I don't much care for the writer's tendency to write "Mmm" at the end of any paragraph in which the heroine is having lusty thoughts. It reminds me of bad cyb
A fact that has infuriated me in the past was that authors always seem to prefer the broody, angst-ridden guys over the funny, handsome and plainly perfect ones for the heroine. It's the same case for 'Web of Lies'. God, Donovan Caine is pathetic. In fact, he brings the word 'pathetic' to a whole new level, one that I didn't think was possible. So of course, when I read the end, I felt supremely happy. Ecstatic, even. I felt that there might be a chance for Owen Grayson (who rates much higher on ...more
Danielle (Danniegurl)
This was a good one. We learn more about Gin's past and more about that mysterious file Fletcher kept on Gin's family. Gin has a series of events that happen and end up pulling her out of retirement. In the process of dealing with all those things she finds out about a friend of Fletcher's who is almost like him and in some ways makes her feel closer, we also have more Donovan Caine and his morals and guilt, I feel so bad for Gin on that ugh. We also find out more and more about who possibly was ...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
The second title in Ms. Estep's well-crafted Elemental Assassin series continues the story of Gin Blanco, now retired assassin. This time around, Gin finds herself being threatened by Jake McAllister, son of notorious attorney Jonah McAllister, after she foils his robbery attempt at the Pork Pit. In addition, Gin feels compelled to help Warren Fox, long-time friend of her deceased foster father. With so much on Gin's plate, the assassin in Gin's soul isn't resting easy.

WEB OF LIES picks up only
It's All About Se...: Web of Lies - Elemental Assassin Book 2 3 1 Jan 24, 2015 01:23PM
Donovan Caine is a stupid man? 22 184 Jan 29, 2014 09:41PM
SOS: Serious Over...: June Buddy Read: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep 11 18 Jul 05, 2012 11:24AM
  • City of Ghosts (Downside Ghosts, #3)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Magic on the Storm (Allie Beckstrom, #4)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Secrets of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Black Night (Black Wings, #2)
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Grave Memory (Alex Craft, #3)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

More about Jennifer Estep...

Elemental Assassin (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)
  • Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5)
  • By a Thread (Elemental Assassin, #6)
  • Widow’s Web (Elemental Assassin, #7)
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Heart of Venom (Elemental Assassin, #9)
  • The Spider (Elemental Assassin, #10)
  • Poison Promise (Elemental Assassin, #11)

“You could just run over him," I said. "He's already dead, and it's not like you haven't done it before."
"Yeah, but I don't want bloody bits of dwarf stuck on my wheels for the next two weeks." Finn sniffed. "This is an Aston Martin, Gin. You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Martin."
"Tell that to James Bond."
Finn shot me a dirty look as he pulled out onto the street.”
“This is an Aston Martin, Gin.You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Matin."
"Tell that to James Bond”