Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)

Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin #2)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  12,493 ratings  ·  646 reviews
Curiosity is definitely going to get me dead one of these days. Probably real soon.

I'm Gin Blanco.

You might know me as the Spider, the most feared assassin in the South. I’m retired now, but trouble still has a way of finding me. Like the other day when two punks tried to rob my popular barbecue joint, the Pork Pit. Then there was the barrage of gunfire on the restaurant....more
Published May 25th 2010 by Pocket Books (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Web of Lies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Web of Lies

Graceling by Kristin CashorePoison Study by Maria V. SnyderThrone of Glass by Sarah J. MaasThe Way of Shadows by Brent WeeksShadow's Edge by Brent Weeks
Books With Heroes/Heroines Who Are Assassins
25th out of 597 books — 2,314 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
125th out of 2,361 books — 8,743 voters

More lists with this book...

Kat Kennedy
So basically I kind of like this series. First of all because Gin may be a bleeding heart who'll take a job just because she hears a sobstory - but it also turns out she's a real bitch. Something I can really appreciate.

I've never told anybody this before but I also relate to Gin because I too am a female assassin.

[image error]
This is totally me in my assassin garb getting ready to take down anybody I see dog-earring a book!

Okay... maybe not.

But I want to be! I plan on grabbing on of the fake ka...more
Lisa O.
Aug 05, 2011 Lisa O. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa O. by: Maja
Shelves: fantasy, uf-or-pnr
3.5 stars.

This is not a review.
This is my rant directed towards one of the least likable love interests in the history of Urban Fantasy: Mr. Donovan Caine.
Or donovancaine, which has a certain assonance to a potent anesthetizer, and is truly appropriate, because that's exactly what he does to me. One of the most hypocritical, double-faced, backboneless men ever to have roamed the pages of a UF novel. And I loathe those kind of men - and who wouldn't?
Not only his ethics are just figments of his...more
Catherine
4.5 Stars

This was a great follow up to Spider's Bite. Sometimes sequels just can't measure up, but that's not the case here. Gin is just as strong and badass as she was in the first book. I have a serious girl-crush on her and wish there were more heroines like her out there.

I loved how we opened the book straight in the middle of a robbery. It dropped me right into the action and gave Gin's personality a chance to shine right out of the gate. And shine it does. Her sarcasm and wit is just as sh...more
Lauren
Web of Lies
3.5 Stars

Compelling world building, an entertaining storyline and well-developed characters but the pacing is off and the writing repetitive at times.

Gin is a truly engaging heroine whose snarky, tough-as-nails assassin persona conceals a warm heart, a profound sense of justice and an intense loyalty for those who have earned it. She does, however, have one significant flaw - her taste in men.

Donovan Caine's pathetic air of superiority and inability to love, respect or accept Gin wi...more
Ian
At the age of 15 Donovan Caine suffered a terrible life altering trauma. His mother stopped breast feeding him. He was disconsolate. Not even his extensive Furby collection could turn that frown upside down. The result...Donovan Caine became a complete ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat. ass-hat.

This book is really great but I'm holding the 5th star hostage. Ms Estep, if you want the 5th star kill ass-hat by 5pm, May 29. The method of death should be gruesome and humiliating...it would be nice if it inv...more
AH

Web of Lies is the second book in Jennifer Estep’s Elemental Assassins series. Our heroine Gin Blanco has now retired from her extremely lucrative career as The Spider and has now settled down working at her restaurant The Pork Pitt. Gin finds retirement a little boring. When the opportunity to help Fletcher’s old friend Warren Fox arises, Gin agrees to do the job.

There are a lot of things to love about this series. The author builds an imaginative world where some people have the abil...more
Felicia
YES! I love it when a series gets better from the first one! This book really got me into the groove with this character and this world. I really am interested in the magic, there were fun character twists and...

SPOILER:

THANK GOD FOR THE LOVE INTEREST RESOLUTION! It was my main criticism from the last one, and so happy the author was brave enough to switch gears and it's looking like a GOOD DIRECTION! Ok, I wanna be vague, but I'm totally in for #3!
Mariya
I have to say that I'm impressed. WEB OF LIES has exceeded my expectations this time around and I am looking forward to zipping through this series fast. I have come to love these characters even more except *cough*DonovanCaine*cough*, I didn't think an assassins life could get anymore exciting, but boy, was I wrong.

Our heroine Gin is retired or at least she is trying to stay retired, but being The Spider, the best assassin out there has been calling for her to get that excitement back in her li...more
Shanshad Whelan
I really really wish I could say I liked this book--I like a lot of the worldbuilding, and the plotting is rather entertaining. There's steamy romance, a hard nosed assassin with a good heart and a great talent for cooking. There are some fascinating secondary characters. I have a minor grievance with opting for ice rather than water and stone rather than earth as the major elemental powers against fire and air, but that's authorial choice.

This big problem, and the reason I had to put this book...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Thanks to Lauren Fortgang's mesmerizing voice, Jennifer Estep's poignant first person POV writing style and Gin Blanco's stellar personality; the Elemental Assassin books are rapidly turning into one of the best Urban Fantasy series that I have ever read. So much so, that I find myself forsaking all of the other lovely novels on my shelves because I can't seem to get enough of this amazing story. I rarely step into a heroine's shoes while reading but with this series it's...more
Marcia
This one barely, barely gets three stars, and I think at least one star is thanks to leftover warm feelings from the first book in the series. It's not an awful book, but the elements that frustrated me in the first book haven't been fixed, and I found them more difficult to ignore in this one. In fact, some of them were so distracting that they took me out of the story completely.

First, Estep's writing has too many tics, and I caught myself rolling my eyes at all the repetitions. Every time she...more
Katyana
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
This is the second book in the Elemental Assassin series. The first book got better even as I read it, after a slightly unsure start. Now it seems the series is only going to continue in the same vein, getting better and better with each novel.

Detective Donovan Caine is still on the scene, although perhaps trying to distance himself slightly, as he still clearly doesn't approve of Gin's job. It is, after all, against everything he stands for as a cop, to let someone go around killing people for...more
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
4.5 Action-packed STARS!

I love it when the book carries me away to a fantasy world full of mystery, suspense and action, sprinkled with intense emotions, I'm a goner for sure!

Gin retired? I doubt it. Trouble is her middle name! Gin, the fiery , kick-ass, sassy, spunky. smart, powerful and passionate assassin. And she's become more powerful too! I love her!

And I love her team, her family! Fin, her foster brother and now her handler, Jo-jo, the air elemental and healing dwarf (I wish she were my...more
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Let me begin by saying, Donovan Caine is a weenie-toad. Now that I have that off my chest...

Web of Lies picks up about 2 months after Spider's Bite left off. Gin has retired from her life as an assassin and is now running the BBQ restaurant her foster-father Fletcher had left her in his will. Things are going smoothly (maybe a little too smoothly) when a punk kid, wielding fire magic, and one of his friends tries to hold up the Pork Pit. He threatens a young co-ed customer and Gin can see murd...more
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Ok let me get the rant part of this review over with….. Bye, Bye Dick-tective Douche Bag! That’s all I will say so that I don’t spoil you guys but those of you that have read this series will know what I mean.

Web of Lies takes place about 2 months after the events in Spider’s Bite. And we find that Gin has been retired after taking a long vacation and is now running the Pork Pit full time. But what does a retired assassin do when she gets bored?

She plans the murder of one of the rich douche bags...more
Heather
OK I like Gin and love narrator Lauren Fortgang. I could listen to her read a shopping list. However, there so very much repetition! I understand that when you write a series you have to fill in back ground previous events for folks who maybe haven't read all the book in order but dear God you don't need to tell me each thing 5 times in the same book! Also, what is with using a characters full name every time they come up?

The stories are fun but stop telling what I already know and stop describi...more
✽ Sharon is an emotional book junkie ✽
Gin has "retired". She's running the Pork Pit. And she's bored! Good thing trouble knows just where to find her.

I really enjoyed the ongoing story of Gin - she's still pretty brash and quite the kick*ass and never boring. I like the direction the story is taking as far as helping others who can't help themselves and it's good that Gin is coming along that way. I love how the whole "family" is involved but hate not knowing everything. I guess I just have to "keep reading"! (I know....I just told...more
Chichipio
Same likes and dislikes as the previous book. The only problem is that, being a second book, all those little details that were just a little bit annoying before are turning to be real groan-inducing problems.

If it were for the story alone, it'd be a 5. Even so, I think it good enough to compensate greatly for the annoying things.

Let's see:
-Donovan Caine: it seems to be some sort of pet character for Estep and she tries to force us to like him and go all "oh" and "ah" over his and Gin's (lack of...more
Miriam Mathew
A fact that has infuriated me in the past was that authors always seem to prefer the broody, angst-ridden guys over the funny, handsome and plainly perfect ones for the heroine. It's the same case for 'Web of Lies'. God, Donovan Caine is pathetic. In fact, he brings the word 'pathetic' to a whole new level, one that I didn't think was possible. So of course, when I read the end, I felt supremely happy. Ecstatic, even. I felt that there might be a chance for Owen Grayson (who rates much higher on...more
Mandi Schreiner
Why I read: The first in the series, Spider’s Bite is one of my favorite books.

Favorite Quote: “See something you like, detective?" I said in a soft voice. “Because I sure do.”

Gin Blanco, the infamous “Spider” assassin, is now enjoying retired life. Well, maybe not enjoying is the right word. Gin is kind of bored. While she loves owning and working in the Pork Pit, a BBQ restaurant in the town of Ashland where she lives, life is a bit dull. She has her friends Finn, the son of her late mentor,...more
Laura Lulu
I read the first book in this series and didn't love it, but I have a bunch of GR friends who really like these, so I figured I'd give the 2nd one a go. Plus, I already own it--I had bought the first two books at the same time.

And still, I'm not a fan. There's just something missing for me. It's not the action--there's bunches, and it's fast-paced and well written. I's the characters. I'm a character-driven reader--for me to love a book/series, I need to love the characters. And I really don't c...more
Nika *YA Guru*
My Review
Gin, Gin, Gin. What can I say about "The Spider"? This book was good but not great. I enjoyed this book but it had it's moments where it sort of dragged. It had your action scenes and steamy scenes and then it had just scenes.

I really enjoy the idea of a female assassin but the repetitiveness of the word language makes it very hard for me to devour this series back to back. Gin is a kick-ass heroine with one hang up and if I was her I wouldn't even have that one hang up.

The storyline...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

The Spider might be retired, but that doesn’t mean the action stops in Ashland.

Gin is now manning the Pork Pit, her beloved barbeque joint. It seems that danger lurks just around the corner because one night, a young teen walks in asking for the Tin Man aka the man who taught her everything. Soon after, gunshots litter her restaurant making it resemble Swiss cheese. It is only later that Gin realized that the shooter was aiming at the girl, not her.

Curiosity gets the...more
Lady Jaye
Okey dokey.
This "review" is going to be more of a rant about the idiot that passes for Donovan Caine. He is the reason I am giving this book three stars instead of higher.

1. I don't know where Ms. Estep got her definition of ideals and morals from, but Donovan Caine neither has morals, nor is he idealistic. He is judgmental and bigoted is what he is. MORALS are what made Gin kill Cliff Ingles; MORALS are what made Fletcher refuse to ever kill innocent children no matter the cost to himself. Se...more
MandyM
4.5 stars Book 2 in the Elemental Assassin series. Gin Blanco is bored. She retired from her job as an assassin and is now running the Pork Pit restaurant and taking classes at the local college. So she's not exactly upset when a shootout in her restaurant drags her into a feud between a mining company and a small shop owner.

Gin is a cool customer. She has plenty of elemental magic but prefers to trust her fighting skills. She's cynical, fiercely loyal and carrying a big torch for the puritanica...more
KarenF
I enjoy this series about (semi)retired assassin Gin Blanco. The world building is good and the magic system based on command of certain elements is very creative. Gin herself is a sympathetic narrator and I also enjoy her relationships and banter with her friends. The romance so far hasn't really gone anywhere and I'm hopeful, that since one interest seems to be exiting as the other is leaving, we won't be subjected to a prolonged love triangle. Really, the only think I don't particularly like...more
Stephanie
It was good but I definitely liked the first one better. There's something about the overall ideas that I really like. She's a strong, young assasin who weilds a lot of hidden potential and the series is building towards a large confrontation between her and the evil overlord of Ashland, Mab Monroe. There's also a few characters that I thought were interesting and I'd like to read more of - Gin, the heroine, Owen, & Sophia. But after that, I felt like the book was a little blah...

I think tha...more
Kathy Davie
Second in the paranormal Elemental Assassin series, Web of Lies as a title doesn’t make any sense to me. Yeah, okay, Web could stand for Gin’s nickname, Spider. It could refer to the web of connections throughout the city of Ashland. The Lies part, well, everyone in Ashland lies on a daily basis to survive but there are no real lies there because, deep down, everyone knows what everyone else really is. Well, okay, there is an exception. Extremely few people know that Gin is an assassin, a retire...more
Kitt
I absolutely loved Jennifer Estep’s first novel in the Elemental Assassin series, Spider’s Bite. So when I needed a little break from all the mushy romances novels I’ve been reading lately, I turned to something I knew would be the complete opposite. I don’t think I could of chosen a better book to come back to urban fantasy to than Web of Lies.

The number one thing I like most about this series is Gin Blanco. I like the fact that we’re rooting for the bad guy, because... she’s also our heroine....more
Donovan Caine is a stupid man? 22 168 Jan 29, 2014 09:41PM
SOS: Serious Over...: June Buddy Read: Web of Lies by Jennifer Estep 11 18 Jul 05, 2012 11:24AM
  • Blood Cross (Jane Yellowrock, #2)
  • Crimson Wind (Horngate Witches, #2)
  • Magic at the Gate (Allie Beckstrom, #5)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Double Cross (The Disillusionists Trilogy, #2)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Binding the Shadows (Arcadia Bell, #3)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Hellforged (Deadtown, #2)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
Jennifer Estep is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, prowling the streets of her imagination in search of her next fantasy idea.

Jennifer writes the Elemental Assassin adult urban fantasy series for Pocket. Books in the series are SPIDER'S BITE, WEB OF LIES, VENOM, TANGLED THREADS, SPIDER'S REVENGE, BY A THREAD, and WIDOW'S WEB. THREAD OF DEATH, an e-novella, is also available.

HAIN...more
More about Jennifer Estep...
Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) Touch of Frost (Mythos Academy, #1) Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3) Kiss of Frost (Mythos Academy, #2) Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, #4)

“You could just run over him," I said. "He's already dead, and it's not like you haven't done it before."
"Yeah, but I don't want bloody bits of dwarf stuck on my wheels for the next two weeks." Finn sniffed. "This is an Aston Martin, Gin. You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Martin."
"Tell that to James Bond."
Finn shot me a dirty look as he pulled out onto the street.”
40 likes
“This is an Aston Martin, Gin.You don't run over dead bodies in an Aston Matin."
"Tell that to James Bond”
31 likes