The Best Gift

The Best Gift (The Best Gift #1)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Malcolm Rowland’s nearly year old relationship ends just before Christmas when he learns his boyfriend has been cheating on him. Malcolm has no place to live and no job. His best friend, Dustin Jones, who has stood by him for years, takes him in and is determined to show Malcolm not only a great Christmas, but that love between the two of them can be the best gift.
Published December 20th 2009 by Amber Quill (first published 2009)

Faith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon SuedeThe Tin Star by J.L. LangleyPromises by Marie SextonThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Friends Become Lovers
105th out of 476 books — 757 voters
The Christmas Throwaway by R.J. ScottCrossing Borders by Z.A. MaxfieldWarrior's Cross by Madeleine UrbanThe Dickens With Love by Josh LanyonHoliday Outing by Astrid Amara
Best Gay Winter'ish Holiday Romance
54th out of 172 books — 267 voters

More lists with this book...

Daisiemae
Jan 01, 2010 Daisiemae rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shawn Lane Fans
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Author is an automatic buy for me
I intentionally held off reading The Best Gift by Shawn Lane. I wanted it to be the first book I read in 2010, and boy was I not disappointed!

Malcolm is my favorite kind of hero. He’s Sweet, Sexy and Smart! As usual, Shawn’s characterization is top notch. Once again, Shawn wrote a hero who is flawed, but he’s someone you can identify with and stand behind flaws and all. I loved how he is able to make positive changes in his life, and be open to Dustin and Dustin’s love.

I loved sweet Dusty, too...more
Drew
It was terrific to see Malcolm and Dustin get together and things work out for them! Nice guys did finish first with this one. I loved it!
Erotic Horizon
4.5 Stars

In one night Malcolm Rowland after a year with his current boyfriend finds out the worst news that he could ever possibly think to know. With no where to go and no-one to turn to – his best friend steps up to the plate in more than one way and Malcolm breathes his first easy breath for the night.

Dustin Jones, the long time best-friend of Malcolm who is more than willing to stay in the background of Malcolm's life knows when he is wanted even if he would like to be needed more. He has hi...more
Kathy
I enjoyed The Best Gift by Shawn Lane, but not as much as other of her stories that I've read. I loved Malcolm and Dustin, a lot, I just wish that there'd been more about their relationship and them. But, having now read the sequel - Still the One - I'm very pleased with everything.

Wonderful emotions and great characters; Shawn Lane knows how to treat her readers right!
DaisyGirl
2.5 Stars

Malcolm Rowland and his live-in boyfriend, Jordan, are approaching their one-year anniversary when Malcolm learns that Jordan has been cheating on him. Although Jordan promises to end the affair (all of them?), infidelity is a deal breaker for Malcolm (hallelujah!) and he ends it. Christmas is only a couple weeks away and Malcolm finds himself jobless, homeless, but not helpless. Enter Dustin Jones, Malcolm's best friend who has secretly been in love with Malcolm for years. Dustin takes...more
Serena Yates
Breann
After Malcolm catches his (rude and egotistical) boyfriend cheating he turns to his best friend Dusty. After spending more time (and newly single time) together they realize the feelings they've both been hiding. This was a cute & fun friends to lovers story. I loved Dustin from the first page. He was lighthearted, sweet and loyal to his best friend. Them decorating the tree and making gingerbread houses was especially cute. :)
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Brenda (b)
This was a sweet story and a quick read. I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing more of Malcolm and Dusty in Still the One.
Elisa Ramblings
Take two young pretty boys who know each other since forever and so, in a way, bring with them all the innocence of youth, add my personal kinks of the difference in body structure of the two guys and the long hair of one of them, and you have the recipe of a very nice short story.

Apparently Malcolm is an high maintenance lover, small and pretty but not so independent, he seems perfectly paired with Jordan, wealthy macho latino man, police officer and 12 years older. And if sometime Jordan has...more
Brook
Feb 09, 2014 Brook added it
It was a good little book... Until they got together. Which annoys me because people shouldn't say' yes but it's a short story so you can just overlook it' admittedly I love the MCs so I could overlook it 'a little bit' ,but UGH! I have read loads of short stories that had the intensity and power and LOVE that you get in a novel book, and with them it leaves you mad because you're left wanting more. With this book yes, you want more but only really because the story feels under developed , the d...more
Alina
I liked the story and I just agree with Elisa's review so much - especially the part about Malcolm's previous lover, Jordan. I dunno what's wrong with me, but I kinda... liked them together and I felt as Jordan wasn't a totally bad character and in his own way he cared for Malcolm.
Maybe that's because the most part of the story was more or less about Malcolm/Jordan couple and not Malcolm/Dustin?
But I liked the ending, of course, it was very sweet and comforting.
Tam
Okay, this one wasn't bad, I shouldn't be so negative. Malcolm and Dustin (sometimes called Dusty) have been best friends since Jr. High but Malcolm is now dating/living with hot cop Jordan (even though Dustin's been in love with him for years). Malcolm catches Jordan cheating on him and Jordan starts to get a bit abusive but Dustin takes Malcolm (erotic m/m author - new career du jour) home to stay with him. After a few days Malcolm starts to think about Dustin as more than a friend. When he fi...more
Indie Reviews
Malcolm and Dusty have been friends for years, since high school. It’s obvious to Dusty that Malcolm’s relationship with his boyfriend Jordan is not the greatest. Jordan Castillo is a controlling and abusive jerk and he doesn’t deserve someone like Malcolm. Too bad Malcolm can’t see this.

Dusty is there for Malcolm when he finds out that Jordan is cheating on him. He takes him in and is determined to help Malcolm get through the pain of break-up and back on his feet. Dusty’s not prepared to fully

Ryoma Gartre
a sweet short story, Malcolm & Dustin are long time friends, Dustin loves Malcolm since a long time ago, but Malcolm seems to don't notice him as anything more than his best friend, then Dustin & Malcolm catch Malcolm's police controlling boyfriend cheating and Malcolm breaks up with him, he doesn't have anywhere to stay but of course sweet Dustin offers his apartment, then we get to see how Malcolm was head over heels in love with Dustin back in high school, but when he was working his...more
Plainbrownwrapper
The first sentence in the story: "Malcolm Rowland pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant where he was to meet his boyfriend, Jordan Castillo, for lunch."

ROFLMAO.

Do you think JCP got any royalties for being named as the cheating boyfriend? LOL!

"Take me, Dusty. Make me yours."

Oh gag me.

This is a predictable and boring story. Malcolm has lived with -- been kept by, to be precise -- Jordan for a year. He finds out Jordan has been cheating, just before Christmas, and he packs up and leaves (wh...more
Ana
Ami
The premise is good. Always love the idea of two best friends in love with each other, but not having the guts to tell the other about it. BUT, the execution is waaaay to abrupt!! I would love it if the part before they finally getting together is stretch out a little bit -- to make it more emotional.
Marissa
honestly, the writing turned me off. I suppose the storyline was ok in itself, but just the way the conversations flowed was awkward. Even though it's a novella, I would have liked to see more character depth, everyone seemed so one-dimensional. I guess it was just not my cup of tea.
Mahlet
Feb 21, 2010 Mahlet rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mahlet by: Eyre Monroe
Shelves: ebook, mm, own
Shawn Lane is a gifted author who creates characters that I fall for quickly and deeply. What Lane is often able to do in her short stories, other authors fail to do in hundreds of pages. Great m/m holiday romance :)
melek
After being cheated by his boyfriend, Malcolm moves in with his best friend dusty, who has been inn love with Malcolm for so long. Will dusty tell how he feels about Malcolm can it be his time .
Lily
Nice story about long time friends finally making a love connection. It was sweet but the realization of true love came too quickly after a break-up for my taste.
Kirsten
Dec 26, 2009 Kirsten rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: dnf
Couldn't finish it. It read like really cliched fanfic.
Amanda
Short and sweet, just the way I like them. :D
Karen
A super short, cute friends to lovers story.
♡♥Ang ♥♡
Super cute and short!!
Gale
MxM, Read in 2011
Kim Krogh
Kim Krogh marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Second Sight
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Roughstock: And a Smile- Season One (Roughstock, #3)
  • Left of Centre
  • Letting In the Light
  • Reckless Heart (Reckless, #4)
  • Off the Beaten Path
  • Pets, Book 1: Sparking
  • Convincing Arthur (Convincing, #1)
  • Smart Alex
  • The Carpenter and the Fairy
  • Finding Chandler (Solitary Knights of Pelham Bay, #1)
Shawn Lane writes gay erotic romances. She is published with Amber Quill, Silver Publishing, Ellora's Cave and Dreamspinner Press. She lives in Southern California and the majority of her books are set in California.
More about Shawn Lane...
Car Wash (Car Wash, #1) At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1) Perfect Man Trust Pulling Away (Pulling Away, #1)