Start by marking “The Devil To Pay (Bewitching the Dark #5) (Silhouette Nocturne)” as Want to Read:
The Devil To Pay (Bewitching the Dark #5) (Silhouette Nocturne)

The Devil To Pay (Bewitching the Dark #5) (Bewitch the Dark #4)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  464 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Torn between duty and desire...

After the devil Himself claims Ivan Drake's soul on his twenty-first birthday, the vampire phoenix has no choice but to enforce his wicked rule. But when the devil sends him to claim the Book of All Spells, the last thing Ivan expects is to square off with its gorgeous protector, the witch Dez Merevech—or to be so attracted to her.

To retrieve...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about The Devil To Pay (Bewitching the Dark #5), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil To Pay (Bewitching the Dark #5)

Blodeuedd Finland
My first try at Harlequin's nocturne silhouette books, and it had the Harlequin elements that I know, and sure some other things too. I sure never read a Harlequin book like this when I started reading them.

The story is about Ivan, a vampire phoenix and half witch, his parents story is in book 1, and this is the third by her. This one can be read without knowing what has happened before, it's a stand alone novel. Ivan's parents promised his soul to the devil and on his 21st birthday the Devil ca...more
texxie-prufreads.blogspot.com
EEEK!! I loved this book! I enjoyed "Kiss Me Deadly" but this one, this one I ADORE!! Ivan broke my heart continuously. His inner struggle kept me "aww"ing' through the entire book. He is the perfect balance of both mom and dad. I loved the banter between he and his parents, what an odd little family they are. LOL Dez was a welcomed addition, I love how she was written. Lets not forget steamy, it was indeed, I mean Ivan IS his fathers child afterall! *wink*
Mary Anne Balane
The fact that this book was published during the height of the Twilight hype tempts me to analyze this book in terms of how it could have been affected by Twilight. Minor details like Ivan’s luxurious lifestyle, compassionate personality, guilt over his nature, and treatment of sex as a precious thing mirror some details in Twilight. Of course, looking at the eight essential elements as one should, the two texts tell very different stories. If The Devil to Pay has been influenced by Twilight, it...more
Mojca
Ravin and Nikolaus’ promise of their firstborn to the Devil in Kiss Me Deadly intrigued me, so I decided to give their son, Ivan, a try… Ivan’s story began rather well with the prologue about Ivan’s knowledge of his imminent pledge to the "dark side" and finally the Devil’s claim on his soul. Flash forward to seven years later when Ivan is already established as the Devil’s fixer and is tasked with obtaining the book from a witch in Maine. Only this witch is nothing like Ivan expected, because s...more
 * Kazzy * -aka Stryker-
Another fantastic read from Michelle Hauf! This was the story of Ivan Drake, the son of Nickoleau and Ravin, (who we met in a previous book), who had been promised to the devil by his parents. The saga takes up from Ivan's 21st birthday which is when the devil claims him as his 'fixer'. I felt a real attachment to Ivan right from the beginning, a lost, lonely soul being forced to do things he didn't want to, and suffering for years. When he is given a job to retrieve the Grande Grimoire from a w...more
OctoberWoman
I'd seen Michele Hauf's name before, but was unfamiliar with her work when I bought this book. Normally I don't read series books out of order, but with category romances the entries are often not linked to each other enough to matter if you read them in order or not. And indeed, in the “Dear Reader” letter from the author at the front of this book, Ms. Hauf states each story in this series stands alone. So I dove right in.

The hero of this book, however, Ivan Drake, is related to the couple in...more
Teresa Kleeman
This was another hit by Michele. Ivan Drake and Dez have a love hate relationship. More of a love relationship. Dez is a witch who's been around a very long time. Ivan is a Vampire who was born to serve the Devil Himself when he was of Age.

Ivan's parents Nicholas Drake who is a Phoenix Vampire and Raviin Crosse whose a powerful Witch, were mortal enemies who fall in love and conceive one of the most powerful Vampire Hybrid. Himself orgastrates everything.

Now in Devil To Pay, Nicholas & Ravi...more
Angie
Les sorcières et vampires sont des ennemis qui se combattent sans merci depuis des siècles. Ivan est une sorte d'exception, métis des 2 espèces dont les parents ont été amenés bien avant sa naissance à vendre son âme au diable le jour de ses 21 ans. Il en devient l'exécuteur malgré lui et se voit obligé de remplir les missions nocturnes que ce dernier lui donne. L'une d'elle consiste à récupérer le grimoire ayant pour gardienne une puissante sorcière capable de changer le sort de cette guerre à...more
Netanella
Jen
This is quite a unique storyline; it definitely had my interest piqued for its originality. Ivan Drake, a vampire and witch hybrid, has been promised to the devil since before he was born. At age 21 he has been irrevocably tied to do Himself's bidding. His next task is to steal an ancient tome of spells from a witch, Dez Merevech. I think we can see where this is heading...

The tension between Ivan and Dez is spicy at the beginning, but it wavers as the plot unfurls, and then it just becomes tedi...more
Mary
Loved the 1st ebook, this one is awesome too. Ivan and Dez really make you feel like you are walking with them throughout the story. You can feel all the emotions they feel. Love how Hauf shows us that all the supernaturals are really part of a dark force that is part of the world just as God and the light are also part of the world. In otherwords heaven is not in the sky and hell is not deep in the earth. Love how she blends the supernatural worlds together. Highly recommend

Sumayya
After I immensely enjoyed reading kiss me deadly, I just had to buy this book as I was not yet ready to say goodbye to the amazing characters- Nikolaus and Ravin.
I really enjoyed the suspense and thrill and the really good story behind this book. After 'kiss me deadly', I thought this would have even more fiery romance and hot steamy sex, but even though it wasn't as hot as I expected, I truly enjoyed this book because the story was just amazing!! Read it now..
Sep 24, 2009 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who have run out of stuff to read
this book took me awhile to get through but i have to say that the end pleasantly surprised me it was almost a duplicate to the first one but with tiny changes. the main character is sexy and exciting in his persuit of dez a witch who is his next assignment as the the devils fixer- basically he runs around doing the devil's whim and he meets dez and of course this starts him on the quest for romance and a soul
Misaki
Just finished the whole series starting with book 1. I had never read Hauf's work, and initially, I found her writing style a bit abrasive and characters rather contradicting, not entirely admirable in personalities. But I think it improved with each book and I enjoyed The Devil to Pay much more than I did From the Dark.
Janis
Kat
This was a very good follow-up to the original book. While maintaining the original characters from the first book, the main focus in this is the son. I found this book to be just as good as the first. It had a good story line and lots of interesting twists.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
An interesting premise, some original ideas - I especially liked the vampire repellant roses. What was difficult to get past was the overuse and in somecases misuse, of adjectives particulary in the first few chapters. It did taper off though to my relief.
=^☺^=mskitty
I was really looking forward to this book because I had just read how Ivan's parents got together and I loved that story. It really was just kinda of "draggy" I could put it down and not want to pick it back up. It was an OK story, but not a great story.
Stacie
The story of a man whose soul was promised to the devil by his parents before he was born. When he turns 21 years old, the devil comes to claim his soul and makes him the devil's fixer. Then the devil send him to claim a spell book from a witch.
Sha
In the whole BEWITCHING THE DARK Series I have to say this one is my favorite. Love, darkness, duty, war,desire... it has it all. I started reading this serie with my mom, and I have to say AWSOME!!!
Lori Whitwam
Didn't quite measure up to Kiss Me Deadly. I never bought into the characters as much, and the dialogue in the final chapters was stilted, and the ending seemed contrived and not totally satisfying.
Gary Bilski
This was an excellent book, I couldn't put it down. Great characters, great story line. Recommend others to read it. Vampires and witches, plus the devil.
Tahlia Newland
Another excellent book by Michele Hauf. I really can't fault it. It has the right balance of romance and action. Perfect for lovers of paranormal romance.
Jenn
All I can say is Ivan is one hot bad-ass Vamp/Witch - Witch/Vamp (dont really know if there is a correct term for him. But I loved this book and his story
Karry
What a great ending! This book brought together the rest of the series in a wonderful way! I loved the characters a lot too.
Jackie
I enjoyed this. It played out like a movie in my mind. "Great special effects." haha
Chinpearl
Because the first part was a free Kindle Book. So I just had to buy the continuation.
April
Even my love of vampire romance could not make me like this book.
Krissy
I feel like the rushed the ending... and made some struggle to simple
Dominika
Probably more like a 1,5. Too cheesy, too instant-forever-love. Meh.
  • Captive of the Beast (Knights of White #4)
  • Wild Wolf (The Pack #9)
  • The Vampire's Quest (Valorian Chronicles #4)
  • Alpha Wolf (Alpha Force, #2)
  • Scions: Revelation (Scions #3)
  • Eternally (Guardians #1)
  • Enemy Lover (Draicon Werewolves, #3)
  • Wild Hunt (Unbound #3)
  • Sentinels: Lion Heart (Sentinels #2)
  • Fury Calls (The Calling #7)
  • Dangerous Temptation (Daughters of Myth #1)
  • Dark Deceiver (The Esri # 2)
  • The Slayer (Time Raiders #2)
Michele has been writing romance, action-adventure and fantasy stories for over fifteen years. Her first published novel was DARK RAPTURE.

France, musketeers, vampires and faeries populate her stories. And if she followed the adage 'write what you know', all her stories would have snow in them. Fortunately, she steps beyond her comfort zone and writes about countries she has never visited and of cr...more
More about Michele Hauf...
Kiss Me Deadly (Bewitch the Dark #2) Her Vampire Husband (Wicked Games, #3) Forever Vampire Seducing the Vampire Moon Kissed (Wicked Games #2)