Start by marking “Mitzvah Girls: Bringing Up the Next Generation of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn” as Want to Read:
Mitzvah Girls: Bringing Up the Next Generation of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn

Mitzvah Girls: Bringing Up the Next Generation of Hasidic Jews in Brooklyn

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  109 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
"Mitzvah Girls" is the first book about bringing up Hasidic Jewish girls in North America, providing an in-depth look into a closed community. Ayala Fader examines language, gender, and the body from infancy to adulthood, showing how Hasidic girls in Brooklyn become women responsible for rearing the next generation of nonliberal Jewish believers. To uncover how girls learn ...more
Published August 1st 2009 by Princeton University Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mitzvah Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mitzvah Girls

The Chosen by Chaim PotokDavita's Harp by Chaim PotokMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim PotokThe Promise by Chaim PotokUnorthodox by Deborah Feldman
Hasidism & Orthodox Judaism
26th out of 101 books — 22 voters
In Search of Respect by Philippe BourgoisThe Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne FadimanNisa by Marjorie ShostakShamanism, Colonialism, and the Wild Man by Michael T. TaussigWitchcraft, Oracles and Magic Among the Azande by E.E. Evans-Pritchard
Good Ethnography
79th out of 92 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

K
Feb 20, 2011 K rated it liked it
This review will probably end up being edited once my husband reads the book and hashes it out with me but in the meantime, here are my first impressions.

Ethnographic studies of Orthodox Jewish women are one of my favorite sub-genres. Can an academic researcher really "get" the world I belong to, I always wonder. I don't know if a researcher can ever attain the insight of an insider, but certainly some come closer than others. In "Mitzvah Girls," while I think Ayala Fader got some things, I thi
Eli Mandel
Jan 26, 2014 Eli Mandel rated it really liked it
Shelves: jewish
A nice body of work.

The million dollar quote, for me, was this gem on page 66 in a chapter about defiance: "one should accustom the child to believing without reason and explanation and then, even when he ages and his rationality is strengthened....he will not depart from the true path and observance...." -- the Lubavitcher Rebbe.

I also enjoyed her perception, and implied criticism of the Hasidic (and ultra-orthodox in general)habit of disdaining secular Jews and non-Jews which comes to an abrup
SaraK
May 09, 2011 SaraK rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written like a thesis and I really had a hard time with the format and the dryness.
While I am not Hasidic, and I have plenty of fundamental issues with the community, I do think that there is a certain beauty to their way of life, and I don't feel any of this came through at all in the book. I feel the author definitely judged the people she interviewed and spent time with, even though she claims to have become good friends with some of them. And that judgement came through in her w
Alison Dellit
Apr 07, 2012 Alison Dellit rated it really liked it
One of the best books I've read about religious communities. Respectful, analytical and thought provoking. Very helpful in understanding the worldviews underpinning Hasidic Judaism, which differ fundamentally from the individualism of protestant Christianity which dominates modern liberalism.
Alisha
Mar 05, 2011 Alisha rated it liked it
Something about this book just didn't work for me, because the author presents everything as if she's an insider, but really it's clear from her writing that the community still treated her as an outsider and as a potential convert.
holly
Sep 07, 2012 holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, jewish
I'm not sure how to rate this book. I think first of all it's important to note for the rating and for any prospective readers, that this is almost purely an ethnographic study -- there is no argument or viewpoint, no deeply rooted opinion or bias, it's just as matter-of-fact as possible, relating information and observations from the author's time spent with women and children of Hasidic families, with a special emphasis on the Bobover sect.

Comparing it to other books that are not ethnographies
Laurie
Dec 03, 2012 Laurie rated it liked it
I have always been interested in the Hasidic people as I worked at a bank in Boro Park in the early 1980s and then worked with ultra Orthodox Jews at a financial services company following that. Being a shiksa, I learned a lot from them about their faith and their observant practices. I felt this book gave me some insight into how children are raised in this belief system and how they view themselves and the secular world.
Katrina
Sep 19, 2012 Katrina rated it really liked it
Explores the role of "nonliberal religion" in the everyday lives of Hasidic women, with a focus on how they raise their children and socialize girls into Hasidic notions of nonliberal femininity. Very useful comparison for my own work on the socialization of Muslim brides on the Swahili coast.
Amanda
Jul 28, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: judaica, non-fiction
The anthropologist/ethnologist in me loved this well written AND WELL DOCUMENTED study. The author really remains neutral in her observations but pairs that with an respectful empathy that is so important in academic writing. Very well done.
Yeedle
May 14, 2013 Yeedle rated it really liked it
Of all the books about hasidim I've read, Fader gives what is probably the most accurate portrayal.
Katherine
Jun 12, 2012 Katherine rated it liked it
Shelves: yarm-lit-crit
pretty complete anthropological study. better than most on the subject.
Katja Buckley
Dec 20, 2013 Katja Buckley rated it really liked it
Excellent ethnography. Very well researched and well written!
Noah Langford
Noah Langford marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jeanie
Jeanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Aeonium
Aeonium marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Kathleen Barker
Kathleen Barker rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Inanna
Inanna marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Chaya
Chaya added it
Jun 06, 2016
Eliza Topolosky
Eliza Topolosky marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Margaret Howe
Margaret Howe marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Jessie Calder
Jessie Calder marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Brenna Resnick
Brenna Resnick rated it liked it
May 06, 2016
Rochel Klionsky
Rochel Klionsky marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Talbot
Talbot marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Anshel Bomberger
Anshel Bomberger rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • Unchosen: The Hidden Lives of Hasidic Rebels
  • Homegirls: Language and Cultural Practice Among Latina Youth Gangs
  • The Art of Blessing the Day: Poems with a Jewish Theme
  • The Pagan Rabbi, and Other Stories
  • English with an Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States
  • The Sabbath World: Glimpses of a Different Order of Time
  • Rasputin and the Jews: A Reversal of History
  • Language and Woman's Place: Text and Commentaries
  • The Joys of Yiddish
  • Our Crowd: The Great Jewish Families of New York
  • The Grand Mosque of Paris: A Story of How Muslims Saved Jews During the Holocaust
  • Outwitting History: The Amazing Adventures of a Man Who Rescued a Million Yiddish Books
  • Wise Women of the Dreamtime: Aboriginal Tales of the Ancestral Powers