Start by marking “The Indiscretions of Archie” as Want to Read:
The Indiscretions of Archie

The Indiscretions of Archie

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  73 reviews
Another hilarious romp from the master of social comedy!

Poor Archie--he is thrilled to marry his beloved Lucille, the daughter of a millionaire hotelier. But his lack of money, occupation, and tact displease his new father-in-law, and Archie finds it close to impossible to placate the "man- eating fish."

The Indiscretions of Archie is part of the Overlook Collector's Wodeh
Published April 1st 2010 by Overlook Hardcover (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about The Indiscretions of Archie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indiscretions of Archie

Brian
This is my favorite non-Jeeves Wodehouse book. It is literary champagne like all Wodehouse books, but it's happier than most (which is really saying something).

The story deals with Archie, a young man who finds out after a hasty wedding to a beautiful girl that his new bride comes complete with a huge pile of money and a terrifying father who hates him.

What sets this apart for me is the basic sweetness of the underlying love story. Jeeves stories take a very cynical view of marriage, with Bertie
Jesse Whitehead
Every genre of fiction has it's great forebear. Epic fantasy has Tolkien, heroic fantasy has Robert E. Howard, science fiction has H. G. Wells, for plays there is Shakespeare. For situational comedy, there is P. G. Wodehouse. Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchet, both admittedly, owe their success to Wodehouse's creations and the genre that he established.

Wodehouse wrote a great deal of comedy about a wide range of characters, all of it situational. “The Indiscretions of Archie” is another one of hi
Thom Swennes
Positively delightful! I was hooked on this very amusing spoof of a struggle for acceptance. Archie, a well educated but rather feather-brain Englishman, comes to New York to seek his fortune (as, after looking he failed to find it in England). He marries a New York socialite, Lucille Brewster and she brings her new husband home to meet her father. He sees Archie as an unscrupulous, gold digging foreigner but doesn’t want to disappoint or alienated his daughter so he agrees to give him a suite i ...more
Erin
At first this one seemed slightly tedious and indeed it is fairly episodic. But in the end I really warmed up to Archie Moffam (pronounced "moom") & co. The ending is cliche but so unexpected that it's a charming way to wrap up the story.

It wasn't until this novel that I realized part of why Waugh must have loved Wodehouse so well (other than his impeccable prose style). The part of Waugh that "liked things to go wrong" must of course have delighted in the cycle of peril, scheme, frustration
heidi.
Finished 2 Jan 2012.
This is a perfect book for reading one chapter at a time, perhaps before bedtime. It was originally bunches of short stories that were combined into a book.

Archie seems to get out of scraps and make everyone like him...everyone but his dear old fatherinlaw. And all his attempts to change this only make things worse.

PS Lucille, his wifey, though playing a smaller part, is quite wonderful.
Dave Law
After reading and loving this book I was looking forward to reading it again, however, this time around I found it a little too disjointed. Perhaps it is due to reading so many of Wodehouse's other novels after it that coming back to this book it doesn't hold up as well. While this other novels the plot weaves nicely knitting the chapters together, whereas here each chapter is episodically. It could be that it was originally serialized in a magazine making it necessary to reintroduce characters ...more
Allie
This is my favorite Wodehouse title. Not favorite book, not by a long shot, but certainly my favorite title. (Isn't there something so evocative about that word 'Indiscretions'? It has the air of Jeeves tactfully sweeping Wooster's latest idiocy under the rug.)

This book is one of many proofs that Wodehouse's true genius lay, not in merely creating a comic idiot--which he certainly could do, for no one is more deft when it comes to daft--but in creating a noble comic idiot, an idiot that the read
Vincent
It's Wodehouse so that counts for something...however, as a whole, the book was lackluster. Admittedly, there were some laughs aloud at certain points, as only Wodehouse can evoke with his particular brand of...something (style, rhythm, intelligence; a mixture of the three?). But at almost every turn I was reminded of Bertie Wooster. Archie in fact used many of the witticisms that Bertie used. I waited for Jeeves with his large cranium to appear but alas...

I don't want this to be a complaint, t
Ian Wood
Oct 10, 2007 Ian Wood rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone not after solutions to the great thelogical questions.
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
The Indiscretions of Archie is set shortly after the Great War and Archie was recently demobbed from the trenches of France where he was ‘making the world safe for the working-man to strike in’. His English ‘people’ have realised outside of the army Archie has no real worth and so have promptly despatched him to the brave new world of America to find employment or a suitably wealthy wife.

Archie has fallen in love with hotel heiress Lucille Brewster and in stark contrast to Wodehouse’s usual stru
Becky
I want to start by saying that the librivox reading was fantastic, Mark Nelson always does a superb job.

That said, this was easily my least favorite Wodehouse work so far. I truly loved "Love Among the Chickens" etc., but this one didn't hook me at all. I found the main character too obtuse to even be enjoyable, I mean, he didn't seem to have a redeeming quality like Wooster who is hapless, but still witty. It was like watching the first season of the Office, it was just too awkward to even be f
Andra Constantin
One incredible funny story - of a British man married to the daughter of a hotel owner in New York.
The outline of the book is the journey Archie (Archibald Moffam) undertakes to earn his father-in-law's approval and get a job to support his wife.
This leads to all sorts of funny encounters and stories that make you like Archie and his father-in-law all the same, and be amazed of how everything works out in the end.

Well worth reading! Made me laugh!
Gerald
Episodic, but short attention spans save us from lingering boredom. Archie is Wooster without Jeeves. Worse yet, at least from a Woosterian viewpoint, Archie is married -- and happily! Happy marriages aren't exactly an engine of comedy, but fortunately his father-in-law is a more than worthy adversary. Daniel Brewster, rich hotelier, seems to have all the gruff buffoonery of Wooster's nemesis Roderick Spode. Both are masters of red-faced frustration and the slow burn.

Lucille, Dan's daughter and
i. merey
This is one of those books where I really wish you could give half stars.

I haven't read any Wodehouse before 'Archie'. Maybe I should have asked a fan what a good starter for him is--having read some of the other comments, perhaps this wasn't the best one for a WV (Wodehouse Virgin).

At any rate, this is a culture clash story between a happy-go-lucky young married Brit and his American father-in-law. The book had the taste of a sitcom--each chapter is more or less a stand-alone episode, with the
Bruce
In media res: The jury is still out on this one; at times it seems a bit forced. It's one of Wodehouse's early works, and maybe he just hadn't hit his stride yet. I may eat my hat on this one, Trevor.

Telos: Having finished the novel I elevated it from 2 stars to 3. I actually became intrigued reading this early Wodehouse work. It is a picaresque novel (homage and apologies to Pickwick Papers and Don Quixote, both clearly in another league) without much of a continuing plot, more a series of inde
Philipp
Man, Wodehouse is funny. Some samples from the book, such as
A joke:

“The guv’nor,” said Parker, breaking the silence, “has some nice little objay dar, sir.”
“Little what?”
“Objay dar, sir.”
Light dawned upon Archie.
“Of course, yes. French for junk. […]”

A lovely observation:

The only other occupant of the lift was a striking-looking woman of foreign appearance, dressed in a way that made Archie feel that she must be somebody or she couldn’t look like that.

A general summary of the progress of Archie
Edward Llewellyn
Absolutely loved it - P. G. Wodehouse stands alone as an English humorist. No one I've read is as consistently funny with warmhearted humor and sympathy for his characters. It helps to have a good vocabulary when reading his works. I love reading them on the Kindle with the built-in dictionary, because some of his jokes depend on knowing obscure or archaic words.
Steve
Archie is basically Bertie Wooster if he ever managed to get married and forfeited the services of Jeeves. The book is full of great Wodehouse dialogue and ridiculously contrived coincidences that make it fun, light reading. If you like Wodehouse, this is as good as anything he wrote.
Cheryl
No favorable connection between Archie and his father-in-law, but forced to commune and share attention of beloved wife and daughter, Lucille, the settings and circumstances of Archie's wish fulfillment to please provide light musings and hearty laughs in the INDISCRETIONS OF ARCHIE by P.G. Wodehouse.

The complaints of the bumbling Archie are common amoung relatives who perceive, with evidence, an underachiever, poor self-promotor, intellectually challenged failure in commerce and position in so
Scilla
Archie is a young British man who is sent to NYC to get a job. He stays in the Hotel Cosmopolis the first night. He complains to the owner and manager Mr. Daniel Brewster that it was noisy and no one polished the boots he left outside the door, making Mr. Brewster very angry. He then goes to visit friends in Florida and meets and marries Mr. Brewster's daughter, Lucille. Of course, Mr. Brewster is not thrilled, but gives them a suite at the hotel in which to live. Archie continues to aggravate M ...more
Mckinley
Not a favorite. Don't like his books set in American as much.
Maria
Although I thoroughly enjoyed the Wodehouse humor in this book, it seemed to be a series of vignettes that I kept thinking would tie together by the end of the book. They never did. If you like what feels like a bunch of short stories loosely tied together, then this book is for you. Sometimes exasperating and sometimes exhilarating, good old Archie gets brainstorms to "fix" things. Sometimes his fixes end in disasters and sometimes they are brilliantly successful. Both results are more accident ...more
Gilly
Every bit as good as the best of Bertie & Jeeves. Wodehouse is the cure to everything.
Adeel Hasan
Absolutely Hilarious.
Wodehouse was a genius!
Elgin
This was a free download for my kindle. I took it because I have always loved Wodehouse's short stories. I love the way he portrays the British upper class and their "quaint" problems. However this story was far below the level of those short stories. There was really no plot...just and account of Archie's coming to terms with his new father-in-law while Archie finds himself in one questionable situation after another, all of which seem to work out because of his innate naivete. Over all rather ...more
Suzie
I've heard a lot about P.G. Wodehouse, so I finally checked out one of his books. It was mildly entertaining, but it felt pretty contrived. Archie spends a lot of time saying stereotypical British things, (What-ho!, What, what, old chap! It's not quite the pip!, etc.), and manages to get out of every scrape he gets into fairly easily. Still, it is clever, and Wodehouse has some very clever descriptions and phrases. Enjoyable, but I probably won't read all 75 or so of his books.
Nick
A hit song about Mother's knee, an amnesiac, paintings bad and good, the Poconos, smart dogs and stupid human tricks, midnight intruders -- it's all here, in another one of Wodehouse's comic masterpieces. The only fly in the humor ointment is the vernacular of the hero, which is so determinedly dim that it gets a bit preposterous at times. You want to tell Archie to get on with it and stop dithering, and when he finally does, it's nearly too late. But not quite.....
Draganka
Superb and funny as hell, as always.
Rachel
Good stuff, this. 4.5 stars.
Lindley Walter-smith
Sheer delightful bliss. So many of the Wodehouse future staples - brainless and idle but extremely good-natured young men, grumpy American billionaires, fickle lovers who are always falling for an unsuitable girl, ridiculous understanding and inspiring dialogue such as "Is it or isn't it or is it, what? I mean, what?" - are already in full bloom here. It's just good-natured, hilarious, beautifully written joy from beginning to end.
Caroline
Project Wodehouse is rolling along nicely. Apparently there are 96 books, but i have already read quite a few, and if all of them go down as easily as this, I should be able to finish quickly. Quick thought, as I have got the Jeeves books as my main reference - Archie is an American version of Bertie. He remains English in origin and goofy in character, but he throws over class entirely, has no servant. Fun!

• Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin
  • Space Casey
  • The Complete Saki
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)

“It ought to be a criminal offence for women to dye their hair. Especially red. What the devil do women do that sort of thing for?” 9 likes
“I want to see the manager." "Is there anything I could do, sir?" Archie looked at him doubtfully. "Well, as a matter of fact, my dear old desk-clerk," he said, "I want to kick up a fearful row, and it hardly seems fair to lug you into it. Why you, I mean to say? The blighter whose head I want on a charger is the bally manager.” 1 likes