Start by marking “Indiscretions of Archie” as Want to Read:
Indiscretions of Archie

Indiscretions of Archie

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  795 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Poor Archie--he is thrilled to marry his beloved Lucille, the daughter of a millionaire hotelier. But his lack of money, occupation, and tact displease his new father-in-law, and Archie finds it close to impossible to placate the "man- eating fish."

The Indiscretions of Archie is part of the Overlook Collector's Wodehouse series, which will eventually contain all of the mas
Published April 1st 2010 by The Overlook Press (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about Indiscretions of Archie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indiscretions of Archie

Brian
May 30, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite non-Jeeves Wodehouse book. It is literary champagne like all Wodehouse books, but it's happier than most (which is really saying something).

The story deals with Archie, a young man who finds out after a hasty wedding to a beautiful girl that his new bride comes complete with a huge pile of money and a terrifying father who hates him.

What sets this apart for me is the basic sweetness of the underlying love story. Jeeves stories take a very cynical view of marriage, with Bertie
Thom Swennes
Apr 11, 2013 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positively delightful! I was hooked on this very amusing spoof of a struggle for acceptance. Archie, a well educated but rather feather-brain Englishman, comes to New York to seek his fortune (as, after looking he failed to find it in England). He marries a New York socialite, Lucille Brewster and she brings her new husband home to meet her father. He sees Archie as an unscrupulous, gold digging foreigner but doesn’t want to disappoint or alienated his daughter so he agrees to give him a suite i ...more
Leslie
Jan 29, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, humor
3 stars. Archie isn't as fun as Bertie but in the same vein. Instead of Jeeves, Archie has his wife Lucille to look out for him. Fun fast read but if you haven't read any Wodehouse before, I'd suggest starting with either a Jeeves book (I particularly like "The Code of the Woosters") or a Blandings book ("Something Fresh" is v. good and is the first in the series). ...more
Jesse Whitehead
Mar 24, 2010 Jesse Whitehead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every genre of fiction has it's great forebear. Epic fantasy has Tolkien, heroic fantasy has Robert E. Howard, science fiction has H. G. Wells, for plays there is Shakespeare. For situational comedy, there is P. G. Wodehouse. Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchet, both admittedly, owe their success to Wodehouse's creations and the genre that he established.

Wodehouse wrote a great deal of comedy about a wide range of characters, all of it situational. “The Indiscretions of Archie” is another one of hi
Erin
Jun 04, 2010 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first this one seemed slightly tedious and indeed it is fairly episodic. But in the end I really warmed up to Archie Moffam (pronounced "moom") & co. The ending is cliche but so unexpected that it's a charming way to wrap up the story.

It wasn't until this novel that I realized part of why Waugh must have loved Wodehouse so well (other than his impeccable prose style). The part of Waugh that "liked things to go wrong" must of course have delighted in the cycle of peril, scheme, frustration
Vishnu Vardhan
Feb 25, 2016 Vishnu Vardhan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such fresh fruity brilliance!
Kristian Bjørkelo
Hardly the best novel by P. G. Wodehouse, and it obviously suffers from being a series of short stories published in 1920 and 1921. By themselves the short stories are funny and delightful in pure Wodehouse-manner, but the attempt to weld them together to a single story doesn't work that well for me. The stories were altered and edited to make them fit together as a single narrative, yet it doesn't. The jumps between the different stories are just too visible, and at times they're a bit jarring ...more
heidi
Jan 24, 2012 heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Finished 2 Jan 2012.
This is a perfect book for reading one chapter at a time, perhaps before bedtime. It was originally bunches of short stories that were combined into a book.

Archie seems to get out of scraps and make everyone like him...everyone but his dear old fatherinlaw. And all his attempts to change this only make things worse.

PS Lucille, his wifey, though playing a smaller part, is quite wonderful.
Mike
Feb 10, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off as a fairly typical early Wodehouse, with thin characterization, but plenty of humour and wonderful language. And then about halfway through Archie grows as a character, and so does his wife, Lucille, who up till then has only made the briefest of appearances. In fact the book must be unusual amongst the Wodehouse canon in that is has a married couple at its centre, and a couple who love each other.
There are laugh-out-loud moments, some O Henry type plots - the book is almo
Lynette
I do not know whether to chalk it up to over-exposure to Bertie, the Blandings crew, etc., or whether my enthusiasm is due to my own mood or frame of mind, but this title has struck me as absolute genius! I loved the meandering chapters with a running thread of the same characters and general circumstances (and certainly covering the same time period), but with plots varying throughout -- same old Wodehouse plots, of course, but varied as to who comes out on top each time. The author's superb wr ...more
Judy
Nov 30, 2015 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Archie is an English gentleman of leisure who has no money and no means of support and lives off his charming personality. He comes to New York early in the 1920s and marries the only daughter of a wealthy hotel owner. Needless to say, the wealthy hotel owner is not happy. But Archie doesn't hold that against him and simply knows that one day he will bring his father-in-law around to see his good qualities. In the meanwhile, Archie keeps himself entertained, getting himself and friends in and ou ...more
Dave Law
Sep 23, 2011 Dave Law rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After reading and loving this book I was looking forward to reading it again, however, this time around I found it a little too disjointed. Perhaps it is due to reading so many of Wodehouse's other novels after it that coming back to this book it doesn't hold up as well. While this other novels the plot weaves nicely knitting the chapters together, whereas here each chapter is episodically. It could be that it was originally serialized in a magazine making it necessary to reintroduce characters ...more
Allie
Aug 07, 2012 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite Wodehouse title. Not favorite book, not by a long shot, but certainly my favorite title. (Isn't there something so evocative about that word 'Indiscretions'? It has the air of Jeeves tactfully sweeping Wooster's latest idiocy under the rug.)

This book is one of many proofs that Wodehouse's true genius lay, not in merely creating a comic idiot--which he certainly could do, for no one is more deft when it comes to daft--but in creating a noble comic idiot, an idiot that the read
Vincent
It's Wodehouse so that counts for something...however, as a whole, the book was lackluster. Admittedly, there were some laughs aloud at certain points, as only Wodehouse can evoke with his particular brand of...something (style, rhythm, intelligence; a mixture of the three?). But at almost every turn I was reminded of Bertie Wooster. Archie in fact used many of the witticisms that Bertie used. I waited for Jeeves with his large cranium to appear but alas...

I don't want this to be a complaint, t
Ian Wood
Oct 10, 2007 Ian Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone not after solutions to the great thelogical questions.
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
The Indiscretions of Archie is set shortly after the Great War and Archie was recently demobbed from the trenches of France where he was ‘making the world safe for the working-man to strike in’. His English ‘people’ have realised outside of the army Archie has no real worth and so have promptly despatched him to the brave new world of America to find employment or a suitably wealthy wife.

Archie has fallen in love with hotel heiress Lucille Brewster and in stark contrast to Wodehouse’s usual stru
Leslie
Jan 29, 2015 Leslie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, humor, audiobooks
This review is for the audiobook only. To see my thoughts on the book, see my review of the Kindle edition.

Mark Nelson does a very good narration in this Librivox recording. I like the fact that he does different voices for the different characters. However, I found the voice for the main character Archie was not quite right -- the "English" accent didn't sound correct. This bothered me each time I started listening after having taken a break, but was quickly forgotten once the story caught my a
Becky
I want to start by saying that the librivox reading was fantastic, Mark Nelson always does a superb job.

That said, this was easily my least favorite Wodehouse work so far. I truly loved "Love Among the Chickens" etc., but this one didn't hook me at all. I found the main character too obtuse to even be enjoyable, I mean, he didn't seem to have a redeeming quality like Wooster who is hapless, but still witty. It was like watching the first season of the Office, it was just too awkward to even be f
Andra Constantin
Apr 24, 2014 Andra Constantin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
One incredible funny story - of a British man married to the daughter of a hotel owner in New York.
The outline of the book is the journey Archie (Archibald Moffam) undertakes to earn his father-in-law's approval and get a job to support his wife.
This leads to all sorts of funny encounters and stories that make you like Archie and his father-in-law all the same, and be amazed of how everything works out in the end.

Well worth reading! Made me laugh!
Gerald
Apr 04, 2010 Gerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Episodic, but short attention spans save us from lingering boredom. Archie is Wooster without Jeeves. Worse yet, at least from a Woosterian viewpoint, Archie is married -- and happily! Happy marriages aren't exactly an engine of comedy, but fortunately his father-in-law is a more than worthy adversary. Daniel Brewster, rich hotelier, seems to have all the gruff buffoonery of Wooster's nemesis Roderick Spode. Both are masters of red-faced frustration and the slow burn.

Lucille, Dan's daughter and
I. Merey
May 08, 2012 I. Merey rated it liked it
Shelves: har-har
This is one of those books where I really wish you could give half stars.

I haven't read any Wodehouse before 'Archie'. Maybe I should have asked a fan what a good starter for him is--having read some of the other comments, perhaps this wasn't the best one for a WV (Wodehouse Virgin).

At any rate, this is a culture clash story between a happy-go-lucky young married Brit and his American father-in-law. The book had the taste of a sitcom--each chapter is more or less a stand-alone episode, with the
Bruce
Aug 20, 2008 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In media res: The jury is still out on this one; at times it seems a bit forced. It's one of Wodehouse's early works, and maybe he just hadn't hit his stride yet. I may eat my hat on this one, Trevor.

Telos: Having finished the novel I elevated it from 2 stars to 3. I actually became intrigued reading this early Wodehouse work. It is a picaresque novel (homage and apologies to Pickwick Papers and Don Quixote, both clearly in another league) without much of a continuing plot, more a series of inde
Philipp
Dec 12, 2013 Philipp rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1920s
Man, Wodehouse is funny. Some samples from the book, such as
A joke:

“The guv’nor,” said Parker, breaking the silence, “has some nice little objay dar, sir.”
“Little what?”
“Objay dar, sir.”
Light dawned upon Archie.
“Of course, yes. French for junk. […]”

A lovely observation:

The only other occupant of the lift was a striking-looking woman of foreign appearance, dressed in a way that made Archie feel that she must be somebody or she couldn’t look like that.

A general summary of the progress of Archie
Edward Llewellyn
Absolutely loved it - P. G. Wodehouse stands alone as an English humorist. No one I've read is as consistently funny with warmhearted humor and sympathy for his characters. It helps to have a good vocabulary when reading his works. I love reading them on the Kindle with the built-in dictionary, because some of his jokes depend on knowing obscure or archaic words.
Emily
Jun 17, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
A happy, easy read like most of Wodehouse. However, I felt the narrative wasn't as flowing as most of his books (it wasn't quite a short story collection, but didn't feel as though it functioned as a novel properly either). I have JUST read that the book was actually adapted from serialised stories which were rewritten into a novel. This explains why it didn't flow quite right! I may have enjoyed it better serialised.

Archie is not my favourite Wodehouse character (as if I could pick just one!)
Phil Syphe
Found this somewhat patchy, maybe owing to the absence of a plot, as this is really a series of short stories threaded together by the title character.

Some chapters were amusing but most felt lacking in some way. Therefore, in my view this is not P.G. Wodehouse's finest book, but it's still worth checking out.
Usfromdk
Not a bad book at all and quite funny at times, but I like Wodehouse' novels better than his short-stories and for all intents and purposes this is but a collection of short-stories. The character Archie is in many ways quite similar to the character Wooster in the Jeeves and Wooster novels.
Barbara
Mar 29, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
I'd like to have given this a 5 as a tribute to the amiable Archie and his individual speech patterns but the course of the novel is too erratic for comic perfection (I read that the novel was assembled from a number of short stories.)

Amusingly read for Librivox by Mark Nelson.
Oluchi
Dec 08, 2015 Oluchi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This chronicles the misadventures of Archie Moffam (say MOOM) who gains a gem when he marries American Lucille Brewster, and has to contend with her father who certainly does NOT like him. Usual Wodehousian wit and plot twists, and an enjoyable read.
Crzy D
Nov 16, 2015 Crzy D rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny but missing the usual panache of Wodehouse. I just din't feel Archie the way I feel for other Wodehouse staples. Think this is the first book of Wodehouse I've given anything less than 5/5
Rosann
Jan 19, 2015 Rosann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
P.G.Wodehouse's most engaging work (perhaps aside from Aunt Agatha's favorite nephew Bertram Wooster's adventures), Archibald Moffam (pronounced Moom) is one of my favorite characters, good naturedly slipping from frying pan into fire and back.
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Mauprat
  • The Great Impersonation
  • The Romans
  • Widdershins
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

“It ought to be a criminal offence for women to dye their hair. Especially red. What the devil do women do that sort of thing for?” 10 likes
“Much has been written on the subject of bed-books. The general consensus of opinion is that a gentle, slow-moving story makes the best opiate” 2 likes