Start by marking “Out West: American Journey Along the Lewis and Clark Trail” as Want to Read:
Out West: American Journey Along the Lewis and Clark Trail

Out West: American Journey Along the Lewis and Clark Trail

Out West invites the reader to hop in the passenger seat of Duncan's vehicle and travel the more than 15,000 miles of his attempt to retrace the trail blazed by Lewis and Clark. 16 pages of black-and-white photos.
Published May 1st 1988 by Penguin Books (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Out West, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out West

Chris J
Mar 13, 2012 Chris J rated it liked it

This is a difficult book to review. I enjoyed some aspects and there are passages worth committing to memory. There are also sections that drag, instances where Duncan's antidotes are simply not interesting or he is unable to communicate them a way that is worth reading. My edition is 416 pages. My evaluation is that if his editor had pared it down to 350 pages, he would have done the reading world a favor. That being said, I genuinely enjoyed more than a few portions of the book and never hit
Mike
Oct 30, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Double history bonus from a book that has been sitting on my shelves for much too long. In 1985, the author borrows a trailer and sets off to retrace Lewis & Clark's expedition. Good history lessons and a terrific portrait of the country in the mid-1980s. Best vignette, going on a canoe trip in Montana with a number of Lewis & Clark buffs, including a history professor from New Orleans, "Steve" Ambrose.
Glenn
Jan 10, 2017 Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book absolutely changed my life, and then I followed Dayton, literally meeting him in Bismarck, North Dakota along the trail during the 200th Anniversary.
He's a great storyteller and brought the people in these wonderful places to life.
Be sure to read "Miles From Nowhere" as well, it's another treasure.
Mike Carey
Dec 10, 2010 Mike Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-my-library
I bought this book for $1 because it promised to give me some insight into a fantasy of mine - to re-create a road trip that would mirror the original trip of the The Corp of Discovery. Dayton Duncan's book is about his attempt in 1983 and 1985 to re-create this historic trip on his own.
The book turns out to be several stories - The story of the Lewis & Clark Expedition, the story of Duncan's trips ( merged into one narrative ), the discovery of numerous small towns along the way, the way th
Vicky
Dec 01, 2015 Vicky rated it really liked it
Dayton Duncan may not be a household name like Ken Burns (at least to fans of PBS), but he has cowritten/produced several projects with Burns including the Lewis and Clark series. The first book of his I read was Miles from Nowhere which was a good introduction to rural and sparsely populated Montana. I even used some of the data he had collected as examples when I taught how to find Census information. I somehow missed Out West but recently came across an old copy. In 1985 Duncan set out to ret ...more
Kennedy
I love this book. The author follows Lewis and Clark's journey in contemporary America (though it was in the 1980's). He stops along the way in small towns and sees the natural sights, all while filling you in on Lewis and Clark's progress. This book convinced me I wanted to go west, and I did!

_____________

Reread and still love it just as much!
Dianna
Aug 19, 2008 Dianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A blend of travel and history. The author follows the trail of Lewis and Clark from beginning to end. He visits the places and people now to show how much has changed since then and how much has stayed the same.
Billy
Jul 26, 2016 Billy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. Paired it with a fishing trip in Montana. I have to admit I was sad when i finished it because I wanted it to keep going.The chapter on spending the night in an Indian lodge is hilarious.
Rae
Apr 06, 2008 Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredibly enjoyable book! Duncan retraces the steps of the Lewis and Clark expedition. He visits lots of small communities and talks to various people as he recounts the movement of the exploring party. I learned a lot about the expedition that I didn't know before.
Janet
Jan 23, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this one every 5 years or so, after John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley and Blue Highways by William Least-Heat Moon.
Art
May 26, 2016 Art rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Art by: Gary Kemp
Shelves: lewis-and-clark
Interesting look at changes and not so many changes from Lewis and clark.
Go travel guide if one is travelling the route of the "Corps of Discovery."
David Hack
Jul 06, 2010 David Hack rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this combination of road book and Lewis and Clark history very much. A little dated, having been written in the 1980's but also interesting to note the approach to a road trip, pre-GPS.
Ann
Jun 01, 2013 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are into Lewis and Clark and a their grand adventure, you will like this travel book, which follows much of their journey. Nice side stories.
Greg French
Greg French rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Ken
Ken rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
Jean
Jean rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Larry
Larry rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2012
Pergnutli
Pergnutli rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2014
Jon Schnorenberg
Jon Schnorenberg rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2011
Wally100
Wally100 rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2012
Kevin Mason
Kevin Mason rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2014
Patty
Patty rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Oct 30, 2012
Juliana
Juliana rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2014
Carl
Carl rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2008
Geoffrey Cobb
Geoffrey Cobb rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2011
Reid Earley
Reid Earley rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
May 17, 2012
Trent
Trent rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Going Back to Bisbee
  • The Gathering of Zion: The Story of the Mormon Trail
  • Bad Land: An American Romance
  • Americana: Dispatches from the New Frontier
  • Hard Road West: History and Geology along the Gold Rush Trail
  • Desert Notes: Reflections in the Eye of a Raven / River Notes: The Dance of Herons
  • Zero to Sixty: The Motorcycle Journey of a Lifetime
  • Devil's Gate: Brigham Young and the Great Mormon Handcart Tragedy
  • The Birds of Heaven: Travels with Cranes
  • The Queen Must Die and Other Affairs of Bees and Men
  • River-Horse
  • Cities of Gold: A Journey Across the American Southwest in Pursuit of Coronado