Start by marking “Love Among the Chickens (1921 edition)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Love Among the Chickens

P.G. Wodehouse

Love Among the Chickens (Ukridge #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,020 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
The farcical tale of Jeremy Garnet, an author and an old friend of Stanley Featherstonehaugh Ukridge, an erstwhile chicken farmer. Upon meeting Ukridge for the first time in years, Garnet finds himself enmeshed Ukridge's new and struggling chicken farm. Garnet soon falls in love with a girl living near the estate as he struggles with the farm and with Ukridge's bizarre bus ...more
Published May 1921 by Herbert Jenkins, London (first published June 1906)

To ask other readers questions about Love Among the Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Among the Chickens

Marty
Apr 02, 2009 Marty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With each book of Wodehouse's that I finish, it is always with a little bit of regret. Even though P.G. Wodehouse is attributed to over a hundred published works, I've still got quite a bit of my life ahead of me, and it will be a sad day indeed when I've run out of fresh Wodehouse books to read. Oh well, at the very least I can start rereading, and hopefully by then my memory will be going bad, so each reread will feel just like new again.

Anyway, Love Among the Chickens is Wodehouse in true fo
Praj
Dec 31, 2010 Praj rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stanley Ukridge is no Jeeves,
His eccentricities make others grieve.
Garnet unlike Corky,
Is dull and dorky.
Phyllis is the one he loves,
Woos her like a lonesome dove.
Creditors swarm the farms,
Rummaging chickens with their arms.
Amongst a mass of satiric bliss,
It is acceptable to give this a miss.
Emily
Jul 02, 2013 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A writer, his mooching friend and his friend's new wife start a chicken farm. None of them knows anything about chickens, and hilarity ensues.

The best thing about this book is Wodehouse's wordplay in the scenes with the animals, whether it's Bob the dog or that most sardonic of hens, Aunt Elizabeth. No one does it better.

When I looked up my favorite scene (I had listened to this on a road trip) on my kindle, I discovered that the one on my kindle was the original version from 1906. The audio boo
Trevor
May 08, 2008 Trevor rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, humour
I didn't enjoy this one nearly as much as the other Wodehouse novels I've read recently.

The main character is a bit dull and was not really enough of him to justify the story. The story was a little too hard to believe - I know, I know, all of the stories are hard to believe, but this one wasn't so much involved in that magical world Wodehouse normally creates and so when it went 'over the top' it left me on the other side.

There is an interesting remark made by one of the female characters that
Jon
Jun 12, 2012 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd call this classic Wodehouse, if not quite up to his best; and then I realize it's his first novel, written at age 25. Astonishing that he had his characteristic silliness of plot and perfection of tone right from the start. Who else could write such a brilliant three-page description of a man trying and failing to maintain his dignity while trying and failing to catch an errant hen?
Dave
Oct 05, 2009 Dave rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, humor
“Love Among the Chickens” is the first adult oriented Wodehouse story, and introduces Stanley Featherstonehaugh (changed from the original edition spelling: Featherstonhaugh) Ukridge. This is the updated edition of the Wodehouse classic, published originally in May of 1921. This is the better of the editions, as there was a considerable rewrite, tightening up the story, making it more humorous and improving what was already an enjoyable romp. This is the version to read, unless you have a desire ...more
Libbeth
Oct 21, 2008 Libbeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1982-to-1989, humour
I will use this "review" for all the P. G. Wodehouse I have read. I read them all so long ago and enjoyed them so much that I have given them all 5 stars. As I re-read them I will adjust the stars accordingly, if necessary, and add a proper review.
When I first discovered P. G. Wodehouse I devoured every book I could find in the local library, throughout the eighties and early nineties. Alas, this means that I have read most of them and stumbling across one I have not read is a rare thing. I'm su
Nov 28, 2015 Laura marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Bettie
Free download available at Project Gutenberg.
Sue
Apr 23, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is narrated by a struggling writer called Jeremy Garnet, who used to work with a larger-than-life and entrepreneurial character known as Ukridge. Jeremy is persuaded, against his better judgement, to go and stay with Ukridge and his unassuming wife Millie, and to assist in their new project, starting a chicken farm.

It quickly transpires that neither of the Ukridges have any clue what to do with chickens. There’s another subplot involving a young woman at a nearby farm, whom Jeremy find
Apr 02, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2013-list
Wodehouse, like Chesterton, is mostly in the public domain, so when I found out that one of my favorite current authors, Daniel McInerny, was inspired by Wodehouse, I may or may not have downloaded everything I could find for my Kindle. I picked Love Among the Chickens to read first because, well, I have chickens. It was a delightful read–and I was glad to have read it on my Kindle because I actually looked up some of the words I didn’t recognize. I’ll be reading more Wodehouse, for sure!
Marts  (Thinker)
Garnet decides to go along with his old school friend Ukridge's plan to run a chicken farm and a series of tumultuous events occur...
Temi Sanusi
A light, enjoyable read.

It's not often I read books about chickens, and to be honest, I wouldn't have read it if one of my best friends hadn't asked me to.

The story is about a young author who is invited on a trip by his old friend Mr. Ukridge, to of all things, set up a chicken farm in the country. Along the way he meets a beautiful young woman and her father, who just happen to be heading to the same part of the country the would-be chicken farmers are hoping to set up their farm.

The thing I'
Hilary G
Oct 02, 2014 Hilary G rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I can't believe I am giving a PG Wodehouse book only 2 stars, but I am. I have read all the Jeeves and Wooster books, and some others (Lord Emsworth etc) but this was my first encounter with Ukridge. Based on this book, I don't mind whether I ever encounter him again as I found him obnoxious rather than funny.

I think this might have been the very first Ukridge story, so perhaps the later stories are an improvement. Perhaps I would have liked the book more if I had read it instead of listening to
Adam Richter
I downloaded this audiobook because I wanted some light reading. Boy, did this fit the bill. P.G. Wodehouse is a master of disguising frivolous situations as potential world-ending disasters, but his characters are so entertaining -- not necessarily sympathetic, but entertaining -- you don't mind sitting on the edge of your seat to learn the fate of a badly run chicken farm. On many occasions I found myself laughing out loud at "Love Among The Chickens." As I said, this was exactly what I was lo ...more
Becky
Lets be fair- any time I read Wodehouse and it isn't a Jeeves story, I miss the regular caste. All the upper class in portrayed in a very Bertie Wooster fashion, but I love my favorites. Still, this was an excellent Wodehouse work. It had all of his usual hilarity and enthusiasm. I even started laughing aloud several times. I'd recommend this as a good departure from the Jeeves collection, even if it is still in the same vein.

Extended:

I’m a huge Wodehouse fan. This is a newly discovered author
Alice
Mar 08, 2011 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
This took me an embarrassing amount of time to finish, mainly because A) it was on my Kindle and B) It wasn't very good. It's early Wodehouse, and aside from the hilarious title, it was pretty blah. But here're some highlights so you don't need to read it or even think about reading it:

"Ukridge was the sort of man who asks you out to dinner, borrows the money from you to pay the bill, and winds up the evening by embroiling you in a fight with a cabman."

"'My dear old son, he didn't mind being cal
Neeraja S
Apr 19, 2011 Neeraja S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy Garnet is a budding novelist living his modest, literary life in the city. His rambunctious friend Ukridge pays him an unexpected visit with his newly married wife and announces his intention to start a chicken-farm in the country to make a living. Does he know the first thing about chickens? Not much, but Ukridge believes in his hypothesis that eggs are fundamental to every-one's existence, and that if the chickens were given the space to run around and roost and peck a few grains, they ...more
Cindy
Themes: Love, farming, friendship
Setting: 1920s English chicken farm in the country

I just finished this on audio. I was so pleased to find it at the library, as there's nothing a like a funny book to take your mind off your troubles. Unfortunately, this was not quite as funny as I'd hoped.

Jeremy Garnet is working on his next book when an old friend shows up to invite him in to his latest venture - a chicken farm in the country. Ukridge and his new wife know nothing about chickens, but they are p
Oluchi
Dec 08, 2015 Oluchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one hilarious tale. The brilliantly crafted character of Ukridge with his crazy schemes and obliviousness to the fact that he is on such shaky ground is guaranteed to make you laugh.
Rollie Reid
This is not my favorite novel by P.G. Wodehouse. Among other things, the hero comes up with a plan worthy of Bertie Wooster, and it works...for a while. Plans that work? Completely un-Bertie-like.

This is an Ukridge novel, but in someways Ukridge is not really at the center of it. The chickens in the title belong to Ukridge, but the love story is that of our narrator, a "friend" of Ukridge, which of course means his victim.

Now, if you are unfamiliar with Wodehouse's creation Ukridge, you should
Ailsa. Z
Dec 22, 2014 Ailsa. Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Wodehouse's early works. The first two thirds of the story is quite uneventful, but the tension gradually builds up, and reaches its climax when Garnet has once again upset the professor by being betrayed by the boatman Hawk. On the other hand, the chaos of the chicken farm finally draws to an end when Ukridge was "There and back again".
That scene in the shallow is hilarious, with Ukridge spinning his arms like a purple seal, and the professor floating upwards and downwards like a submari
Phil Syphe
This novel features Ukridge, who gets his own self-titled book written about him over a decade later, yet the events here are set after those featured in the "Ukridge" tome.

The main character, however, is Jerry Garnet; a small-time author of fiction. He's approached by Ukridge who persuades Jerry to accompany him on his latest get rich quick scheme, which is to run their own chicken farm.

As neither they nor their third partner, Mrs Ukridge, have any knowledge whatsoever about keeping chickens it
astaliegurec
P.G. Wodehouse's "Love Among the Chickens" surprised me (unfortunately, not in a good way). The Wodehouse works I've read have all been extremely witty with highly convoluted plots that twist and turn and meet up with themselves in wonderful ways. Reading "Love Among the Chickens" is like watching a bull in a china shop or like being hit in the face with a blunderbuss. The whole story is a straight-forward study in painful things happening to people who should know better than to behave the way ...more
Daphne
Nov 02, 2015 Daphne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audio, quest
My first Wodehouse book, and the first he ever wrote. I thoroughly enjoyed it! Perfect early 1900 British humor. Absolutely had me laughing out loud a few times. Can't wait to dive into the rest of his works.

Listened to the narrated version from the BBC, and the narrator was the perfect choice.
Ailsa Jo.
Feb 25, 2015 Ailsa Jo. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Although Love Among Chickens is an early Wodehouse piece and lighter reading than his later works, I still enjoyed reading it very much. The chicken farm scenes are quite hilarious and the overall silliness of the novel is very Wodehouse and completely irresistible.
Jonathan
Very early Wodehouse so he seems to have that extra bit of verve in the writing, you can practically hear him chuckling to himself as he wrote it. The characters and plot aren't quite as convincing, perhaps because he was young man but it's interesting to see him developing what became his standard plot line: man escaping London on train to country house where he meets the woman of his dreams only to be foiled before it all works out in the end.

Wodehouse writes about animals extremely well and t
Martyn
Jan 30, 2015 Martyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A rare thing indeed, a less than perfect book by Wodehouse. He almost manages to achieve the impossible: pulling together an early, loose work that reads like several unrelated comic set-pieces stitched together into a novel that very nearly works, but only nearly. There are some funny moments but, if you've read the Ukridge short stories before this, some repetition too, although this was published (and re-written) before the short stories but, well you know what I mean! Plus there are themes t ...more
Laurel Hicks
Wot fun! No Bertie and Jeeves here, just the balmy moocher Ukbridge and the slightly less balmy narrator. And a beautiful true love, her reluctant (and balmy) father, and the obligatory water rescue.
Keith Gapinski
Mar 14, 2013 Keith Gapinski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
This was the first of the early Wodehouse books that had the madcap comedy feel that I really learned to love in his later work. Interesting to see him developing as a writer.
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Love Among the Chickens" by P.G. Wodehouse 1 1 Nov 26, 2013 06:22PM
  • The Wrong Box
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • The Provincial Lady in America
  • Lucia Rising
  • Miss Cayley's Adventures
  • Shocking True Story: The Rise and Fall of Confidential, "America's Most Scandalous Scandal Magazine"
  • Second Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow
  • Oh! to be in England
  • Carnival of Crime (Spencer Library)
  • Come Back, Como: Winning the Heart of a Reluctant Dog
  • Holy Disorders (Gervase Fen, #2)
  • Les Quatre Fils du Dr. March
  • Mr. Scarborough's Family
  • Theories of Everything: Selected, Collected, and Health-Inspected Cartoons, 1978-2006
  • Nonsense Novels
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • The Amazing Interlude
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Ukridge (7 books)
  • Ukridge
  • Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)
  • Eggs, Beans And Crumpets
  • Nothing Serious (Blandings Castle, #7.5)
  • A Few Quick Ones (Jeeves, #11.5)
  • Plum Pie (Jeeves, #13.5)

“If there is one thing I dislike, it is the man who tries to air his grievances when I wish to air mine.” 293 likes
“I am not always good and noble. I am the hero of this story, but I have my off moments.” 191 likes