Start by marking “The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens” as Want to Read:
The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens

The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Asian grandmothers — whether of Chinese, Japanese, Indonesian, Vietnamese, or Indian descent — are the keepers of the cultural, and culinary, flame. Their mastery of delicious home-cooked dishes and comfort food makes them the ideal source for this cookbook. Author Pat Tanumihardja has assembled 130 tantalizing dishes from real Chinese fried rice to the ...more
Published August 25th 2009 by Sasquatch Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Asian Grandmothers Cookbook

Rosa
I was initially disappointed with this book because since the editor is from Singapore, I assumed there'd be more recipes from that part of the world (I was really hoping for a good laksa recipe!), but there are very few, especially compared to the number of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean recipes represented... there are a LOT of Chinese recipes. So yes, my first reaction was disappointment because Chinese recipes are pretty easy to find anyway - but at some point I realized that these are genuin ...more
Camille
This cookbook is badass. In addition to being gorgeous, its recipes are fairly easy to follow and accessible, and it has beautiful narratives of different grandmothers throughout. Its regional treatment is a little skewed, but it's hard to be comprehensive and useful at the same time. Some materials may be harder to find for folks living in regions without Asian / Pacific Islander populations, but overall this is a great book for intermediate cooks.
Stepha
i'm glad i didn't buy this impulsively because, based on the title alone, it's something i would typically buy on a whim. the recipes weren't really transcendent and it could have used way more pictures in it. loved the little vignettes on the contributing grandmothers. i flagged a few to type up, but i'm happy i just have it from the library.
Patricia
This is a very good book. The recipes are very delicious and do-able. Tried and true. There are stories of Asian Grandmother's lives and there is such an assortment of different Asian styles anyone could pick and choose what type they like. I like them all!
Greg
Mostly cliche restaurant recipes intermixed with girl-power grandma stories. Didn't see much that really looked homestyle. In fact, I readily recognized many of the recipes as standard Asian restaurant fare.
Elizabeth
Great resource for all types of Asian cooking. It's complete with references on ingredients, measurements, origins and great photos. Highly recommend this for anyone who loves Asian home cooking.
Abbey
This is a great Asian cookbook. I copies about 10 of the recipes (which is a lot for me). I loved the stories about the grandmothers too! Very interesting and well done book.
Betty
Great reference and resource for making those fave dishes you grew up with.
Lara
I loved working with Pat on the photos for this book. Mmm... craving the beef and tomato stir fry as I type.
Sara
A nice set of recipes, interesting stories, and good-looking photos.
Etty
Great cooking book!!
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jan 17, 2015
Holly Brown
Holly Brown marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Katie Deming
Katie Deming marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
K.
K. marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Mike Hancock
Mike Hancock marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Indonesia and raised in Singapore, Patricia Tanumihardja writes about food, travel, and lifestyle through a multicultural lens and has been published in numerous national and regional publications. She has lived on three continents, speaks four languages and her myriad travels and cultural experiences inform her writing every step of the way. Pat especially enjoys covering topics that conv ...more
More about Pat Tanumihardja...
Asian Grandmothers Cookbook, The: Home Cooking from Asian American Kitchens