Start by marking “When You Least Expect It: A Novel” as Want to Read:
When You Least Expect It: A Novel

When You Least Expect It: A Novel

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  166 ratings  ·  22 reviews
From the celebrated author of Good Luck and Mommy Tracked, a funny and touching novel about the call to motherhood, the complexities of adoption, and the promise and peril of parenthood

India and Jeremy Halloway are happily married, have creative careers, and live in a remodeled bohemian cottage in a historic West Palm Beach neighborhood. The only thing missing from their
Published June 22nd 2010 by Bantam (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about When You Least Expect It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Least Expect It

Marie
Young professionals India and Jeremy are struggling with infertility. After several IVF and other infertility treatments, they have finally given up their hopes of having their own natural-born child. They begin to consider adoption as a viable alternative.

Enter Lainey, a shallow, selfish, and damaged 20-year-old who is the daughter of an alcoholic mom and runaway father. She gets pregnant by her dumb jock boyfriend and decides to give her baby up for adoption so she can land a fortune to fund h
Mj
Jan 25, 2015 Mj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction, 2011
I picked this book up on a whim from a Quick Picks display at my library (meaning you can only take it out for 7 days.) That was ok because I was looking for a quick, light read.

When You Least Expect It is about an infertile couple who want very much to be parents but are having a great deal of trouble conceiving despite all of today’s medical and technological assistance. The wannabe mother India and her husband Jeremy decide it’s time to explore adoption options instead. They are matched up wi
Jay
WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT started out lukewarm and never really heated up. The premise, an infertile couple finds a down-on-her-luck pregnant woman and takes her in with the intention of adopting her baby, is one that should provide a treasure trove of issues to deal with. Instead, however, the conflict presented here was easily resolved.

What detracted most from the story, for me, was the cast of characters. From India to Jeremy to Lainey to Jeremy’s brother and sister-in-law, I found them all on
Shonda
From the outside looking in, India and Jeremy appear to have it all. Jeremy gave up the corporate world to pursue his dream of becoming a science fiction writer. India is self-employed as a photographer. They have a good, solid marriage and are completely head-over-heels in love with each other. The one thing…one person that would make their lives complete is a baby.

Lainey is headed to L.A. She has big dreams of becoming a reality TV star. Her plans are set in motion and money has been saved. Th
Lauren
I didn't think I would like this book because I really didn't have an interest in a married couple and their experience with adoption and the birth mother, but I really enjoyed it. Gaskell's writing made the story relatable even though I shouldn't have been able to relate to any of the characters. It flowed naturally and quickly. I would definitely like to read more of her books.
Charlotte

I really enjoyed When You Least Expect It. Infertility can be a very heavy subject matter, yet Whitney Gaskell wrote about it in a manner that was respectful, yet honest, in a way that is engrossing and absorbing for the reader. Well done, Ms Gaskell.
Charity
Whitney Gaskell does it again! I could eat every one of her books up with a spoon. Engaging, endearing, funny, and fabulous...this book really delivered it all. I have yet to be disappointed by anything she's written.

Highly recommend checking out her blog, too. Sheer hilarity!
Sharon
Great book, easy read. I've got to say I was a bit surprised here. I always like Whitney Gaskell's books and this one was no different - EXCEPT - I really thought it was going to be predictable from the minute I opened the book - I was wrong.

Great job! I totally recommend!
Cristina Fahrbach-connors
I'm a long time fan of Whitney Gaskell and was excited to see this new book come out. I love how it shows both sides of adoption (both the biological and adopting mother) and how they interact with each other. I thought it was well-written and and had well formed characters.
Tracy
This book follows alternating points of view of a husband and a wife going through difficulty starting a family and a young pregnant girl. I enjoyed it very much. I always like this author, but it was especially compelling as my friends just yesterday adopted a baby girl.
Brenda
Nov 05, 2010 Brenda added it
What can I say about this book? I laughed, I cried and thoroughly enjoyed it. Told from the viewpoints of India and Jeremy (married couple who've decided to adopt) and Lainey (single pregnant woman) and the various gifts they give each other while having a baby.
Stacy
Love, love, loved this book!
I loved the characters, they are so real. It's not your typical, light chick lit. Bit of a more serious storyline and I loved it. I loved that I really wasn't able to tell how the end of the story was going to play out.
Courtney
I truly enjoyed this book. It struck me in a very personal way, and I wish I could write more about it, but I will just say that I absolutely loved it. It took me 4 hours to read and read it in one sitting, and will certainly read it again.
Marie
Far fetched and unrealistic at times regarding how adoptions really work -- but it was a good read. I will look into other books that this author wrote.
Brittany
I felt like the book never really got going and the characters didn't develop as they much as they should have.
Patty
I would give this three and a half stars. I liked the subject and characters but it was predictable. I enjoyed it
Cpbuttrfly
Tear jerker for moms. Good story. Well written. I really like this author.
Alexis Jacobs
Another great read from Whitney Gaskell. Highly recommend!
Beth
fun, easy, fast read about couple looking to adopt
Meredith
Quick easy read. I enjoyed it!
Suzi
Wonderfully moving.
Myndi
Great read.
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Susan Bazzett-griffith
Susan Bazzett-griffith marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Veronika
Veronika marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Elizabeth Mccue
Elizabeth Mccue marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • An Ideal Wife (Jessica Wild, #3)
  • The Breakup Club (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Notes From The Underbelly
  • Easy on the Eyes
  • Holly's Inbox : Scandal in the City (Holly's Inbox #2)
  • Hollywood Car Wash
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • God Is in the Pancakes
  • 24-Karat Kids
  • The Book of Peach
  • Exes and Ohs
  • The Golden Flute (Adventures of Lilli and Zane, #1)
  • To Save the Devil (Sons of Sin, #2)
  • Looking for a Love Story
  • Perfect Blend: A Novel
  • Losing It
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Wedding Favors (Mortal, #3)
Growing up, Whitney Gaskell always wanted to become a writer. Then for some unknown reason, she went to law school. TABLE FOR SEVEN is Whitney's eighth book. She also writes the Young Adult GEEK HIGH series under the name Piper Banks.
More about Whitney Gaskell...
True Love (and Other Lies) Mommy Tracked Good Luck Testing Kate Pushing 30