Start by marking “Pretty Good Joke Book: 5th Edition” as Want to Read:
Pretty Good Joke Book: 5th Edition

Pretty Good Joke Book: 5th Edition (Pretty Good Jokes)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  338 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
A treasury of hilarity from one of America’s favorite radio shows.

A guy walks into a bar. Eight Canada Geese walk into a bar. A termite jumps up on the bar and asks, “Where is the bar tender?” Drum roll.

The Fifth Edition of the perennially popular Pretty Good Joke Book is everything the first four were and more. More puns, one-liners, light bulb jokes, knock-knock jokes,
Paperback, Abridged, 400 pages
Published September 29th 2009 by HighBridge Company (first published March 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pretty Good Joke Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretty Good Joke Book

Elizabeth
Nov 24, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, judaism, christian
I really enjoyed this book. I'm giving it five stars, but I really should add a disclaimer: the five stars are not to be taken as an endorsement of every joke. Some jokes are in poor taste, and some I just didn't get. That said, so many of the jokes that I *did* get were so side-splittingly funny that they were well worth the ones that fell flat. I can't remember when I had such an enjoyable time reading a book. I laughed out loud so often, reading by myself, that I was half afraid my family wou ...more
Mayda
Apr 02, 2012 Mayda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, audio
Garrison Keillor’s collection of jokes from his radio show and compiled into this audio book is all the title says it is – pretty good. The jokes range from kid-friendly to mature adult, or maybe not quite so mature adult! At any rate, you will be highly entertained by not only the comedic delivery of the jokes but also the musical interludes. With a wide variety of jokes from a variety of comic story tellers, there is something here that will appeal to most everyone.
Ken Shelton
Jun 04, 2012 Ken Shelton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Prairie Home Companion's Joke Night. This compilation is a fun distraction from so much drama :)
Robert Spillman
Jul 14, 2013 Robert Spillman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed the book on CD version from the library and listened to it when I drove. OK, I must lead a sad life since I've been through all five disks at least three times and they are two weeks overdue. I enjoyed the jokes, the cadence, and the audience laughter. Many are puns, a low form of humor, but I love them. If you memorize enough of them, you can easily liven up a conversation that usually ends with a groan. Love it. They touch all areas: religion, sex, professions, Iowans, Swedes, New J ...more
Stan Lambchop
Oct 14, 2014 Stan Lambchop rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in the hope for an engaging and enveloping read. I was disappointed to find how the author must constantly link his jokes to a neo-Marxist regime, e.g. 'why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side!', with the 'Chicken' representing Lenin, the road being the Bolshevik revolution of 1917 and the 'other side' being the USSR.
The book also has a running undertone of anti Semitism through the constant fart jokes. The plot lacked any narrative structure and the char
Jenny
Mar 21, 2013 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have any way of getting the sound recording of any of the Prairie Home Companion Joke Shows, do it. They are great for a road trip. I read some of these out loud to my husband as we drove along and we shared a good laugh. I think some of the mirth came from the fact that we heard the original delivery in the sound recording some years ago. It adds a lot. Still, they are worth the read and the kids enjoy the simpler jokes. Just a caution: some of the jokes are NOT child-appropriate.
Nathan
Jan 05, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I have to say is that I employed this to annoy fellow bar-patrons for a good 18 months - which is probably a pretty good compliment for a joke book!

Some of these jokes I was already familiar with from listening to "Prairie Home Companion" as a kid, but many I thought were hilarious, but couldn't convey to my fellow humans. Eh, still fun to have on hand ;)
Morninglight Mama
Feb 03, 2016 Morninglight Mama rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, nonfiction
I'm fairly certain it's cheesy to count this as a book I've "read" this year, but it did keep me company while taking care of other business over the last couple weeks. I love A Prairie Home Companion, and I giggled plenty over many of these jokes. Amazingly, they were all voiced by Garrison Keillor in my head as I read them. Fun stuff.
Chase
Mar 09, 2016 Chase rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
little inapropriate at parts
Hrs9517
Jan 13, 2013 Hrs9517 rated it it was amazing
This book was super funny! I personally liked the death and heaven jokes. This book kept me laughing the entire time, some times I laughed for minutes at a time. The yo'mama jokes are always funny. For example yo'mama is so fat her year book picture is an aerial picture! All in all this book is super funny and a great gift.
David Ward
Feb 07, 2016 David Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
A Prairie Home Companion Pretty Good Joke Book by Garrison Keillor (Highbridge Co. 2000)(817). This is the companion book to the Prairie Home Companion Radio Show's “Annual Joke Show.” It's without a doubt one of the funniest joke books in print. My rating: 7.5/10, finished 2003.
Marilyn
Mar 05, 2011 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
If laughing is even half as therapeutic as it is reported to be, I just lengthened my life by at least 3 years. Great stuff. I've added a sign to my class store giving prices for the few things I peddle. At the bottom it says "Free Jokes". Thank heavens for this book.
Mar 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like the humor of Prairie Home Companion, you will, like me, love this book. Funny funny jokes, something mostly clean for everyone. Some of it is a bit smutty - but you have to be of a certain intellectual capacity to even realize that - so its safe for work.
Marty Toren
Jan 17, 2013 Marty Toren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best assortment of laugh-out-loud humor, puns, and other clever word play that I have seen anywhere--so refreshing to see a collection that doesn't have to regularly stoop to vulgarity and play on the baser instincts to get a laugh--highly recommend.
Victoria Heinecke
Feb 19, 2010 Victoria Heinecke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Hundreds of jokes organized by topic. Many of them made me laugh the second time I read them. Good book to keep as a reference for public speaking, when you might need a joke to set the tone or illustrate a point.
Myrna
Feb 26, 2009 Myrna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are looking for an icebreaker. Bring out this baby. It has yo momma jokes, knock knock jokes, and of course the how many irishmen does it take to screw in a light bulb.
Classics, every single one of them.
Steph
May 14, 2008 Steph rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: joke-books
I loved this joke book. If you're looking for some good jokes, I definetly recommend this. Some of them are stupid and others are corny, but the majority of them are funny.
Leah
Dec 21, 2009 Leah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Leah by: Jeff
Just the pick-me-up I needed at the end of a terrible week. I actually laughed out loud while reading it silently to myself with no one but the cat to hear me.
Cordero Vazquez
Apr 06, 2009 Cordero Vazquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ahh jokes humour at it best. I read this book in one day and will be telling a few of the jokes the rest of my life. warning do not read with a full bladder.
Craig
Dec 01, 2008 Craig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Topically arranged, great variety...this joke book is pretty good. Pretty DANG good!
Megan
Feb 23, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dan
Recommended to Megan by: Derek
Hilarious! Where I got a lot of my "best" material. :) Garrison Keillor is pretty funny.
Renée
Jan 25, 2008 Renée rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
A collection of jokes from the live annual joke show.Many worth memorizing.
Alice
Oct 12, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Corny but fun. You can give this joke book to your dad and not be embarrassed.
Joanne
Sep 15, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful during a tough time - light hearted and sharable with family
Jason
Mar 17, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a joke book in YEARS and this was just too fun!
Ccallejas
I LOVE THIS BOOK becuse i love jokes thats why i am very funny!
Kate
Feb 07, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank god somebody is still writing down what makes us all laugh.
Hans Dickes
Jan 06, 2009 Hans Dickes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny is what you make of it and who you share it with.
Jackson
May 24, 2010 Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This Book is extremely funny and has some great jokes.
Steve Shapiro
Nov 12, 2008 Steve Shapiro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must-have for any aficionado of jokes.
  • God: The Ultimate Autobiography
  • The Ig Nobel Prizes
  • Christmas Is Good!: Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom
  • Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Screenplay
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • The Onion Ad Nauseam: Complete News Archives, Volume 13
  • Uncle John's Presents: The Book of the Dumb
  • Cheats, Cons, Swindles, and Tricks
  • Three Plays: An Enemy of the People / The Wild Duck / Rosmersholm
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, Volume II
  • Obliviously On He Sails: The Bush Administration in Rhyme
  • It Was a Long Time Ago, and It Never Happened Anyway: Russia and the Communist Past
  • Math, Science, and UNIX Underpants
  • Kids Say the Darndest Things
  • Teenage Tales (Zits Sketchbook, #8)
  • The Bride of Anguished English: A Bonanza of Bloopers, Blunders, Botches, and Boo-Boos
  • Six Great Modern Plays
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...

Pretty Good Jokes (5 books)
  • Plenty of Pretty Good Jokes
  • Even More Pretty Good Jokes
  • A Few More Pretty Good Jokes
  • New and Not Bad Pretty Good Jokes

“When NASA started sending up astronauts, they discovered that ballpoint pens don’t work in zero gravity. So they spent twelve million dollars and more than a decade developing a pen that writes under any condition, on almost every surface. The Russians used a pencil.” 6 likes
“Computers can never completely replace humans. They may become capable of artificial intelligence, but they will never master real stupidity.” 5 likes