Start by marking “Shadows Cast By Stars” as Want to Read:
Shadows Cast By Stars

Shadows Cast By Stars

3.56  ·  Rating Details ·  1,552 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
Old ways are pitted against new horrors in this compellingly crafted dystopian tale about a girl who is both healer and seer.

Two hundred years from now, blood has become the most valuable commodity on the planet— especially the blood of aboriginal peoples, for it contains antibodies that protect them from the Plague ravaging the rest of the world.

Sixteen-year-old Cassandra
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 456 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Atheneum

Khanh (the Grinch)
I expected an action-packed, fast-paced adventure, with incorporated elements of Native American mythology...I got a book filled with uninteresting introspection and a whole lot of boredom.

Shadows Cast By Stars is more of a self-exploration book, a rite-of-passage for the main character than it is a dystopian-based book. Technically, it is a dystopian tale, since that is the setting in which the story takes place, but it moves along at such a slow pace and the setting is so far removed from the
Sanette
"There's a story among people, not my people, for I am, and will always be, one apart. But there's a story of how people came to be, how Raven dropped from the sky to pry open a clam shell, and found humankind inside. They say that this story took place a long, long time ago when earth was still young, when Raven still spoke words that were lies and truth at the same time.

So I say: This is the story of the way things once were, and now are, and how they will be, for if there is one thing I've
C Hellisen
Jun 26, 2012 C Hellisen rated it it was amazing
I am dying to get my hands on this one. The cover is beautiful, and I know Catherine Knutsson's writing is wonderful so I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does with this novel.

Okay wow, gorgeous, gorgeous book. Like waking up in the dark.

Have you ever watched Princess Mononoke? There's that one scene where the forest god is walking through the lake, with the half-submerged trees, and there's light everywhere and yeah....

This book felt like that scene - dreamlike, dangerous, wild, spir
Ingrid
May 03, 2013 Ingrid rated it liked it
Look at the pretty cover!
Ahem
This was a unique book. I've read books that look into First Nation culture before (Keeper'n Me, April Raintree, but I've never read a futuristic, dystopian, fantasy that centered around Aboriginal culture. It was a really neat experience. It was a positive experience, because this book told its story really well, and the words flowed. There were a lot of good things, and as is my custom, I'll start with those.

1 The setting. The setting was really, very cool. The i
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
A finished unsolicited copy was provided by the publisher for review.

There’s such a creepy tone when I read this book that I couldn’t help but get shivers. Thinking of the spirit world in a sense makes me think of ghosts! Eeks! Imagine being able walk into the world and talk and interact with souls. I wished there was more of this. I don’t know what to call it but soul searching.

I love the concept of the disease. The plague wiping out most of the world but when a scientist finds out the antibodi
Inge
DNF 28%

It wasn't necessarily a bad story, but by the time I had reached 100 pages, not a single thing had happened. It was uneventful and didn't manage to keep my interest.
Nafiza
Jun 03, 2012 Nafiza rated it really liked it
This will be an interesting review to write simply because I have such conflicting feelings about this novel. I gave it four stars but really, that is no reflection at all on how I actually really feel about it so read on and I might be able to articulate myself. I read the ARC version of the novel so that may account for my muddled feelings but well...let's just get on with it. I really liked how Cassandra and her twin, Paul were characterized. There seems to be a gravity to them, in them that ...more
black lamb
May 16, 2014 black lamb rated it really liked it
Well, I liked it. I guess a lot of people thought the blurb was misleading? The synopsis makes it sound like more of a Hunger Games-y, Divergent-y, post-apoc-y dystopia kind of thing, when really this book is more of a magical fantasy. Frankly, I'm relieved. I'm sick of dystopias.

What I got out of this was much more interesting - a spiritual journey, a kind of coming-into-power or self-discovery fantasy about a young woman who gets to actually, you know, do stuff. She spends the majority of the
Diana Stevan
Jan 07, 2013 Diana Stevan rated it it was amazing
I was so impressed by this book. I loved the fact that Cassandra, the protagonist, was so multi-faceted. Not only was she strong and courageous, but she was also loving and giving, and therefore very appealing. The author, Catherine Knuttsson, wove in First Nations mythology, the supernatural, and herbal medicine as she told the story of a family in the future, trying to survive in a land at a time when so much was uncertain. It seemed that with every chapter, things couldn't get worse, and yet ...more
Claire Legrand
Jun 11, 2012 Claire Legrand rated it it was amazing
Strange, beautiful, and utterly original, SHADOWS CAST BY STARS is a breathtaking read that takes us into a whole new breed of YA dystopia -- one flavored by Native Canadian folklore, the spirit world and mysterious plagues, totems and shades, wild women and humming monoliths. And at the center of it all is a brave, resourceful, remarkably self-possessed (even when she doesn't think so) heroine named Cass.

Check out this haunting gem of a book. You won't regret it.
Tati
Sep 23, 2014 Tati rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a really weird book. I think that the author tried to do something different, but it was so confusing.

In a world where aboriginal people are immune to a disease that kills everyone else, their blood has become quite valuable, and periodic searches are made in order to try and capture those immune. When Cassandra's family is threatened by one of those searches, they decide to flee to the Island, a place protected by an energy barrier and a group of warriors. Once there, Cassandra sees he
Krystal
Apr 08, 2012 Krystal rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
How far would you go to escape the dreaded Plague? Would you take the blood of an innocent? In this dystopic world, the only survivors or hopeful survivors are the ones who are immune or who have the ability to access that immunity. Aboriginal blood is found to offer hope against the Plague and is highly valued. Cassandra, the main character, might feel that she is safe against the Plague, but she has to worry about the government and people hunting her down to harvest her precious blood...not n ...more
jesse
2.25/5

random notes
it's got bits and pieces of different books thrown in like ...

* a soul/totem which manifests itself in an animal form(the golden compass),
* on a mission to find the lost (twin) brother (blood red road) and
* a dark tinge not unlike that of the dark angel trilogy (view spoiler)
* various myths,
* aborigines culture and
* the magical feel (including the relationship between humans between animals and nature) of miyazaki fi
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
**GIVEAWAY** ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A HARDCOVER COPY OF SHADOWS CAST BY STARS by: Catherine Knutsson! Go to my review posted on my blog HERE to enter. Giveaway ends June 20, 2013. Open to US residents ONLY!

My Review: Shadows Cast By Stars is one of the most uniquely original novels I've had the pleasure of reading within the past year. I regret that it has taken me this long to review it, but things happen for a reason and I'm always happy to bring attention to a novel whether it has just bee
Dark Faerie Tales
Jun 10, 2012 Dark Faerie Tales rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-by-emmy
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This novel crosses boundaries of science fiction and fantasy to weave together a world of racism, plagues and myths that test the heroine in ways she never imagined.

Opening Sentence: We live the Old Way.

The Review:

The UA’s greatest concern is the Plague. With everyone crammed into Population Corridors and quarantine sections numbered off, they harvest the Others for their blood. The Island is the last resort of Cassandra’s father, who’s clun
Rich in Color
I wish I liked this book more.

As a moving-to-a-new-town book, Shadows Cast by Stars is serviceable. Cass’s struggles to fit in with the people on the Island—including wanted and unwanted attention from boys—make for some interesting character dynamics and conflict. I particularly enjoyed Cass’s scenes with Madda and her (sort-of) friendship with Helen. The women are the most memorable characters in the novel, though the boys don’t give them much competition in that regard (more on this in a bit
nick
Jul 15, 2012 nick rated it liked it

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

What attracted me first to Shadows Cast by Stars was the beautiful cover. Dystopian novels are really rocketing in the YA world these days, but good solid dystopian books are very hard to find. In Shadows Cast By Stars, I was looking for a book that would completely surprise me. Fortunately, it did, up to an extent.

In the dystopian society crafted by Catherine Knutsson, society is divided into two different sectors: The Corridor and The Island. The citi
Rose Vanden Eynden
Jun 27, 2012 Rose Vanden Eynden rated it really liked it
This beautifully-written novel is hard to describe. The story moves at a slow, deliberate pace, much like the thoughtful and sacred world in which we find our protagonist, Cassandra, a young woman who can see into the spirit realms. Cass is Metis, of Native ancestry, which gains her access to a world that penetrates the dystopian society in which she lives. Her Native blood also keeps her immune from a Plague that has ravished society, and the majority of the people who are not immune soon drive ...more
Brianna Kilcrease
Aug 12, 2012 Brianna Kilcrease rated it it was amazing
First Line: We live the Old Way.

This is by far, one of the best books I have ever read. It probably sits up in the top twenties. This morning at 11 in the morning I was eighty pages into Shadows Cast by Stars, and got so into it that I finished it at 4 in the evening this same day! For five hours I sat in the same room, on the same chair reading this book! And the crazy part? I don't think there was any better way I could have spent that time.

I chose Shadows Cast by Stars to read first out of th
WatermeLoonie
Jan 24, 2014 WatermeLoonie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was quite a reasonable in my opinion, just not my kind of story. Too much bark, not enough bite one might say. It lacked a... I don't know... Spark, I guess. It didn't have a lot of emotion written inside it, but then again, maybe the author designed it that way, thus bringing everything back to my first statement.
The cover I bought was a lot more prettier and simpler than the other one. I don't know, people say "don't judge a book by it's cover," but I tend to think the ones with simplisti
River Lange
Dec 11, 2012 River Lange rated it it was ok
The writing was exquisite!!!

I read in some of the reviews, the readers thought the plot was slow. I have to disagree. However, somewhere around page 250, things went horribly wrong. And maybe I was overly disappointed because I expected the wonderful story to keep me on the journey, instead of a wild chase through the forest, like a dog chasing his tail in circles.

From here on, the book started shapeshifting and couldn't decide if it was fighting a war against mankind/the plague/tribal warfare/o
tH3LiN
Nov 15, 2012 tH3LiN rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-agains
This book was written with such thought that in moments I felt the true emotions of what these characters were feeling. It was something that kept me reading until there was no more to read. Through struggles, love, hate and pain...that is what our heroine had to face but in the end, she sucessed through the sorrows and sacrifice that helped her become a person she thought she might never come to be. A story of person rising from the shadows to become something more or something their destined i ...more
Jaime Lester
Aug 15, 2012 Jaime Lester rated it it was amazing
This review will be short and sweet. The reason? There is nothing I can say about Shadows Cast by Stars to explain just how amazing it really is. And believe me when I say, it is truly an amazing tale. I have never read anything like this before. When I first started it, I wasn't sure if I could stick with it, but it didn't take long for me to get pulled into this story. And once I was in, I couldn't get away. It is beautiful. Hauntingly beautiful.
Usually I am clamoring for stand-alone's, but
Hannah
May 22, 2016 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya, dystopia, canadian
This was billed to me as a "Native American retelling of King Arthur," and it wasn't. It was the standard YA dystopia set on a reservation...

Except it wasn't standard at all.

Instead of overthrowing the evil government with the power of a love triangle, MC trains to be a medicine woman/nurse and falls deeper into the spirit world. There was also an actual description of the setting rather than vague references to how the world is now run like a suburban high school.

I thoroughly enjoyed this an
Cass -  Words on Paper
Ooh! Now there are two 2012 debuts with protagonists who share the same name as me. ;P I couldn't tell this was dystopian, but I dig the fact that this mentions Aboriginal heritage, seeing as I live in Australia.
Ominouspotato
Oct 20, 2012 Ominouspotato rated it really liked it
Started out really well, but things went a bit downhill from there.
A.L. Davroe
Dec 29, 2012 A.L. Davroe rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I want more.
Maggie
Jul 29, 2014 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of spirit world mysticism! Loved it!
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Oh no, disappointing book!! I'm sad I spent all of yesterday reading this underwhelming and, in the end, boring book. It reminded me of my experience reading Throne of Glass, which is a similarly kind of terrible YA about a supposedly cool girl heroine that went on for far too long.

Okay a few things I liked:
- very cool concepts (a plague 200 years in the future, Indigenous people's blood has the antibodies to it)
- some nice writing about human truths, etc., for a debut YA novel
- the SF setting
Kate
Nov 29, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kate by: Rita W.
Despite being hard to get into, this book is close to impossible to put down. The detail is amazing and the character development, especially of Cassandra. Cassandra, or Cass, moves to the Island and restarts her entire life. Her story is special because of her relationship with spirits, shadows and totems. I totally recommend as a fantastic pleasure read.
Shadows cast by stars, by Catherine Knutsson 2 15 Sep 02, 2014 04:52PM
  • Cybernetic
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Harbinger
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians)
  • Above World (Above World, #1)
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Above
  • Tokyo Heist
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • Touching the Surface
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Innocent Darkness (The Aether Chronicles, #1)
  • Skylark (Skylark, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1)
  • Auracle
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • The Lost Code (The Atlanteans, #1)
I live on beautiful Vancouver Island, where I write, ride, run, and hike in the wilds. Oh, and I'm Métis, just like Cassandra, the main character in SHADOWS CAST BY STARS.
More about Catherine Knutsson...

“I didn't know there were mermaids in the lake.” 5 likes