Shadows Cast By Stars

Shadows Cast By Stars

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  895 ratings  ·  143 reviews
Old ways are pitted against new horrors in this compellingly crafted dystopian tale about a girl who is both healer and seer.

Two hundred years from now, blood has become the most valuable commodity on the planet— especially the blood of aboriginal peoples, for it contains antibodies that protect them from the Plague ravaging the rest of the world.

Sixteen-year-old Cassandra...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 464 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Atheneum

Cinder by Marissa MeyerThe Selection by Kiera CassUnder the Never Sky by Veronica RossiEverneath by Brodi AshtonIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
2012 Debut Authors (Young Adult & Middle Grade)
114th out of 948 books — 5,378 voters
YA Novels of 2012
199th out of 1,226 books — 9,718 voters

More lists with this book...

Sanette
"There's a story among people, not my people, for I am, and will always be, one apart. But there's a story of how people came to be, how Raven dropped from the sky to pry open a clam shell, and found humankind inside. They say that this story took place a long, long time ago when earth was still young, when Raven still spoke words that were lies and truth at the same time.

So I say: This is the story of the way things once were, and now are, and how they will be, for if there is one thing I've
Khanh (Destroyer of Dreams)
I expected an action-packed, fast-paced adventure, with incorporated elements of Native American mythology...I got a book filled with uninteresting introspection and a whole lot of boredom.

Shadows Cast By Stars is more of a self-exploration book, a rite-of-passage for the main character than it is a dystopian-based book. Technically, it is a dystopian tale, since that is the setting in which the story takes place, but it moves along at such a slow pace and the setting is so far removed from the...more
The Airship Librarian
Look at the pretty cover!
Ahem
This was a unique book. I've read books that look into First Nation culture before (Keeper'n Me, April Raintree, but I've never read a futuristic, dystopian, fantasy that centered around Aboriginal culture. It was a really neat experience. It was a positive experience, because this book told its story really well, and the words flowed. There were a lot of good things, and as is my custom, I'll start with those.

1 The setting. The setting was really, very cool. The i...more
Nafiza
This will be an interesting review to write simply because I have such conflicting feelings about this novel. I gave it four stars but really, that is no reflection at all on how I actually really feel about it so read on and I might be able to articulate myself. I read the ARC version of the novel so that may account for my muddled feelings but well...let's just get on with it. I really liked how Cassandra and her twin, Paul were characterized. There seems to be a gravity to them, in them that...more
WatermeLoonie
This was quite a reasonable in my opinion, just not my kind of story. Too much bark, not enough bite one might say. It lacked a... I don't know... Spark, I guess. It didn't have a lot of emotion written inside it, but then again, maybe the author designed it that way, thus bringing everything back to my first statement.
The cover I bought was a lot more prettier and simpler than the other one. I don't know, people say "don't judge a book by it's cover," but I tend to think the ones with simplisti...more
Nick

Read more of my reviews at Nick's Book Blog

What attracted me first to Shadows Cast by Stars was the beautiful cover. Dystopian novels are really rocketing in the YA world these days, but good solid dystopian books are very hard to find. In Shadows Cast By Stars, I was looking for a book that would completely surprise me. Fortunately, it did, up to an extent.

In the dystopian society crafted by Catherine Knutsson, society is divided into two different sectors: The Corridor and The Island. The citi...more
Cat Hellisen
I am dying to get my hands on this one. The cover is beautiful, and I know Catherine Knutsson's writing is wonderful so I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does with this novel.

Okay wow, gorgeous, gorgeous book. Like waking up in the dark.

Have you ever watched Princess Mononoke? There's that one scene where the forest god is walking through the lake, with the half-submerged trees, and there's light everywhere and yeah....

This book felt like that scene - dreamlike, dangerous, wild, spir...more
Tatiana
This was a really weird book. I think that the author tried to do something different, but it was so confusing.

In a world where aboriginal people are immune to a disease that kills everyone else, their blood has become quite valuable, and periodic searches are made in order to try and capture those immune. When Cassandra's family is threatened by one of those searches, they decide to flee to the Island, a place protected by an energy barrier and a group of warriors. Once there, Cassandra sees he...more
Krystal
Apr 08, 2012 Krystal rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: arc
How far would you go to escape the dreaded Plague? Would you take the blood of an innocent? In this dystopic world, the only survivors or hopeful survivors are the ones who are immune or who have the ability to access that immunity. Aboriginal blood is found to offer hope against the Plague and is highly valued. Cassandra, the main character, might feel that she is safe against the Plague, but she has to worry about the government and people hunting her down to harvest her precious blood...not n...more
jo mo
2.25/5

random notes
it's got bits and pieces of different books thrown in like ...

* a soul/totem which manifests itself in an animal form(the golden compass),
* on a mission to find the lost (twin) brother (blood red road) and
* a dark tinge not unlike that of the dark angel trilogy (view spoiler)
* various myths,
* aborigines culture and
* the magical feel (including the relationship between humans between animals and nature) of miyazaki fi...more
Diana Stevan
I was so impressed by this book. I loved the fact that Cassandra, the protagonist, was so multi-faceted. Not only was she strong and courageous, but she was also loving and giving, and therefore very appealing. The author, Catherine Knuttsson, wove in First Nations mythology, the supernatural, and herbal medicine as she told the story of a family in the future, trying to survive in a land at a time when so much was uncertain. It seemed that with every chapter, things couldn't get worse, and yet...more
Claire Legrand
Strange, beautiful, and utterly original, SHADOWS CAST BY STARS is a breathtaking read that takes us into a whole new breed of YA dystopia -- one flavored by Native Canadian folklore, the spirit world and mysterious plagues, totems and shades, wild women and humming monoliths. And at the center of it all is a brave, resourceful, remarkably self-possessed (even when she doesn't think so) heroine named Cass.

Check out this haunting gem of a book. You won't regret it.
Alyssa
Too hokey pokey Mother Nature for me. I don't believe in that stuff, and maybe that's why this book was so hard for me to read, because I couldn't relate.

I only made it through halfway of the book. And if a book hasn't redeemed itself by then, well, then it shouldn't be a book.

Sorry people. I thought that there would be a lot more end of the world qualities and much more dystopian qualities than there were.

Didn't like it. Wouldn't recommend it.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: This novel crosses boundaries of science fiction and fantasy to weave together a world of racism, plagues and myths that test the heroine in ways she never imagined.

Opening Sentence: We live the Old Way.

The Review:

The UA’s greatest concern is the Plague. With everyone crammed into Population Corridors and quarantine sections numbered off, they harvest the Others for their blood. The Island is the last resort of Cassandra’s father, who’s clun...more
Brianna Kilcrease
First Line: We live the Old Way.

This is by far, one of the best books I have ever read. It probably sits up in the top twenties. This morning at 11 in the morning I was eighty pages into Shadows Cast by Stars, and got so into it that I finished it at 4 in the evening this same day! For five hours I sat in the same room, on the same chair reading this book! And the crazy part? I don't think there was any better way I could have spent that time.

I chose Shadows Cast by Stars to read first out of th...more
Mia Searles (The Muses Circle)
**GIVEAWAY** ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A HARDCOVER COPY OF SHADOWS CAST BY STARS by: Catherine Knutsson! Go to my review posted on my blog HERE to enter. Giveaway ends June 20, 2013. Open to US residents ONLY!

My Review: Shadows Cast By Stars is one of the most uniquely original novels I've had the pleasure of reading within the past year. I regret that it has taken me this long to review it, but things happen for a reason and I'm always happy to bring attention to a novel whether it has just bee...more
Rich in Color
I wish I liked this book more.

As a moving-to-a-new-town book, Shadows Cast by Stars is serviceable. Cass’s struggles to fit in with the people on the Island—including wanted and unwanted attention from boys—make for some interesting character dynamics and conflict. I particularly enjoyed Cass’s scenes with Madda and her (sort-of) friendship with Helen. The women are the most memorable characters in the novel, though the boys don’t give them much competition in that regard (more on this in a bit...more
Rose Vanden Eynden
This beautifully-written novel is hard to describe. The story moves at a slow, deliberate pace, much like the thoughtful and sacred world in which we find our protagonist, Cassandra, a young woman who can see into the spirit realms. Cass is Metis, of Native ancestry, which gains her access to a world that penetrates the dystopian society in which she lives. Her Native blood also keeps her immune from a Plague that has ravished society, and the majority of the people who are not immune soon drive...more
River Lange
The writing was exquisite!!!

I read in some of the reviews, the readers thought the plot was slow. I have to disagree. However, somewhere around page 250, things went horribly wrong. And maybe I was overly disappointed because I expected the wonderful story to keep me on the journey, instead of a wild chase through the forest, like a dog chasing his tail in circles.

From here on, the book started shapeshifting and couldn't decide if it was fighting a war against mankind/the plague/tribal warfare/o...more
Mika Joey
This book was written with such thought that in moments I felt the true emotions of what these characters were feeling. It was something that kept me reading until there was no more to read. Through struggles, love, hate and pain...that is what our heroine had to face but in the end, she sucessed through the sorrows and sacrifice that helped her become a person she thought she might never come to be. A story of person rising from the shadows to become something more or something their destined i...more
Jaime Lester
This review will be short and sweet. The reason? There is nothing I can say about Shadows Cast by Stars to explain just how amazing it really is. And believe me when I say, it is truly an amazing tale. I have never read anything like this before. When I first started it, I wasn't sure if I could stick with it, but it didn't take long for me to get pulled into this story. And once I was in, I couldn't get away. It is beautiful. Hauntingly beautiful.
Usually I am clamoring for stand-alone's, but...more
Dzenita
Although the book is over 400 pages, I feel like nothing happens...at all. The setup with the blood is pointless and plays no role but to isolate Cassandra's people. Also, it doesn't make sense that those with the antibodies would be drained of their blood...why not (Daybreakers style) keep them alive in a catatonic state and continue to reap their blood.

I don't understand the protagonist's association with Cedar who has essentially tried to rape her multiple times or the way in which every char...more
B. Mauritz
I started reading this as a selection from my book club. I was getting really in to it at first and I was intrigued, filled with questions, hoping for at least half my answers, but in the end...after reading it in a 5 day time period....I was more lost. I'm actually devastated because I have no information to grasp.
The way it ended I assume that there will be a sequel because it would just be wrong to leave a reader hanging like that. If I knew for sure there would be a sequel I might not be as...more
Cass -  Words on Paper
Ooh! Now there are two 2012 debuts with protagonists who share the same name as me. ;P I couldn't tell this was dystopian, but I dig the fact that this mentions Aboriginal heritage, seeing as I live in Australia.
Brianna Wilshusen
Cassandra and her brother Paul are both very interesting characters. The only thing about Paul I found lacking was information. They both have a special ability, but we don't get to see a lot into Paul or his ability. I'm a little unsure about my feelings for the book itself. It was fascinating, but I feel like there were things missing. Tidbits of information here and there that might have connected some things. Even with that though, I couldn't put it down. The parts about spirits were so... e...more
Ominouspotato
Started out really well, but things went a bit downhill from there.
A.L. Davroe
I love this book. I want more.
Lois
Jul 17, 2011 Lois marked it as wishlist
Wow!!! Que buena pinta tiene :D
Nicole
I wasn't too sure about Shadows Cast by Stars when I first started reading it, but wow, was I ever wrong to question the greatness of this book! It's a very good story, and Knutsson handles the aboriginal mythology very well. I don't know much about those myths myself, but I wasn't confused at any point and she was able to give each deity their own personality and make them really come alive. The hardest part of that side of things was making sure I pronounced the names right in my head.

The char...more
ephrielle
In the beginning there is this very big danger posed to the small family. They could be harvested at any time for their blood to help cure others. This problem and threat never gets addressed or solved in the whole book. It is such a driving power for all that they do and their early choices yet it is left alone. Instead, after being fed that story, we switch gears and go somewhere else completely. A whole new problem or villain is introduced that overshadows all other concerns.
The native lore...more
Shadows cast by stars, by Catherine Knutsson 1 9 Jan 31, 2014 06:49PM
  • Cybernetic
  • Tokyo Heist
  • When the Sea Is Rising Red (Hobverse #1)
  • Ashes of Twilight (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • All These Lives
  • Mystique
  • The Other Life (The Other Life, #1)
  • Chosen Ones (The Lost Souls, #1)
  • Above World (Above World, #1)
  • The Glimpse (The Glimpse, #1)
  • The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1)
  • Kiss the Morning Star
  • Destiny's Fire (Kythan Guardians, #1)
  • Touching the Surface
  • The Cabinet of Earths (Maya and Valko, #1)
  • Silver (Bandia, #1)
  • Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
I live on beautiful Vancouver Island, where I write, ride, run, and hike in the wilds. Oh, and I'm Métis, just like Cassandra, the main character in SHADOWS CAST BY STARS.
More about Catherine Knutsson...
Cabinet Des Fées: A Fairy Tale Journal (Volume 1, Issue 3)

“I didn't know there were mermaids in the lake.” 4 likes