Cock-A-Doodle-Hooooooo!. Mick Manning, Brita Granstrm

Cock-A-Doodle-Hooooooo!. Mick Manning, Brita Granstrm

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  26 reviews
One stormy night, a lost and lonely owl walks into a farmyard looking for a place to rest. He sleeps in the hen house, but the next morning the hens don't want him to stay - they need a cockerel, not an owl! Will he ever convince the hens that he can be their perfect cockerel?
Published January 1st 2007 by Little Tiger Press

Be the first to ask a question about Cock-A-Doodle-Hooooooo!. Mick Manning, Brita Granstrm

Dolly
Jan 28, 2009 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
A really cute story about a little owl who is lost, cold and hungry and finds a hen house for shelter. He does his best to fit in and act just like a rooster. Fun illustrations and funny onomatopoeia - our girls loved it!
Nayhara Sepulcri
In the middle of a cold, stormy night a lost and lonely owl seeks a place to rest. He walks into a farmyard and squeezes himself through a hole in a shed. He wakes up surrounded by 'bony feet and beady eyes'. Will he convince the hens that he can be the cockerel they need?

The abundant use of adjectives, synonyms and similes throughout the story provides a great opportunity to enrich children's vocabulary, specially at the EYFS. For that reason, 'Cock-a-doodle-hooooooo!' is a great book to be dis...more
Jackie
Delightful illustrations accompany this story about a lonely, lost owl who accidently stumbles into a hen house...it's warm, it's cozy, and just right for falling asleep. In the morning, the hens were outraged...he's no rooster, all he can do is hoot. Trying with all his might to fit in, he just couldn't seem to get the clacking and the cock-a-doodle-doing down. But, when it seems as all hope is lost, the hens find out what owl is good for...catching RATS!

Cock-a-Doodle-Hooooooo! is a good way t...more
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up. Colorful pictures and cute characters.
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Print Awareness, Letter Knowledge, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness

From cover:
One stormy night, a lost and lonely owl walks into a farmyard looking for a place to sleep.
After a restful night in the henhouse, Owl wakes to discover that the hens want him to leave. They're looking for a rooster, not an owl!
How will Owl convince his new friends that he should stay?

Owl just wants a place to...more
Chanae Wills
This story is about an owl in a hen house. The hens don’t want him there because he’s not a rooster, but they soon find out that even though he’s not a rooster he’s special and they want him around. I would use this book to teach my students that although people may not physically be what you want them to be, there is more on the inside and when you get to know them, you’ll be pleased with what you find.
Gennie Hendrick
This is a really cute book about fitting in. An owl finds himself in a hen house one morning and the hens are not very accepting. The owl tries hard to be like the rooster the hens want him to be. However, the owl saved the day by being himself. This would be a great book to let children know its okay to be yourself and that everyone is special in their own way.
Jenny
My husband really liked this book, but I just thought it was okay. Pretty cute story, but I wasn't in love with it. The illustrations are pretty cute though, especially the last one with the owl leading all the chickens and chicks with the confusing farmer looking on!
Amber Henrie
This is a cute little book about an owl who wanders into a hen house. The hens are angry at first because they say an owl has no place to be with hens. The owl eventually saves the day and makes a place for himself among the hens. It's pretty fun.
Rhonda Morris
An excellent book to use to teach children how to accept everyone. Owl doesn't fit in with the rest of the chickens but he doesn't know why. The chickens soon find out that owl can help them out. Read to find out how owl helps them.
Kelli
A young owl finds a warm, dry henhouse during a storm. He is not so accepted by the hens come the next day, however. They want a rooster. His best efforts are failing until he discovers a talent that is appreciated by the hens.
Stef
so cute! I love these fish out of water tales. My favorite picture books are the ones where the characters have to excellent facial expressions in reaction to the story. I think this would be a good read aloud.
Marilyn
Owl finds shelter in a chick coop. They don't like him because he's not like a rooster until he catches rats for them. It ends quickly. It's heavy on insults for the owl and light on meaningful resolution.
Julene
Love this one! It is such a fun story! Who know that such a short kids' book could have such great characters? I think you've got to read the hens' lines with a southern accent!
Lesley
A book to use when teaching about farm animals and about owls. Illustrations were big and colorful. Wording was in bold print and large font.

Genre:Picture books
Date Published: 2007
Brianna Dietz
This picture book is great for any age with it's fun illustrations! An owl falls into a hen coop and the hens try and make the owl a rooster. Very funny book!
Alisa
Cute story about an owl who comes into a hen house but he isn't a rooster...but he does eat rats! Fun story about an owl's acceptance of being different.
Elizabeth
A delightful book about an owl who takes on the attributes of a rooster and is accepted by the hens because of an extra special talent. Cute & clever!
Beth
I would have given it four stars, maybe five, but the rat part kinda freaked us out. Otherwise it was a cute story with nice pictures.
Rebecca Ann
This funny picture book is perfect for storytime. An owl falls into a hen coop and tries to become their rooster.
Molly
Kelly
A sweet book about a good friend helping another find his place in the world and discovering hidden talents.
Aaliyah
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this to my girls this morning, and I think they enjoyed it, too.
Erica
I love owls! This one is cute.
Mary
Yummy rat. Hmm. No. Cute pics.
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Manning went to school in Keighley and then studied at at Bradford College. He studied illustration and graphic design at Newcastle Polytechnic (now the University of Northumbria) 1979 - 82 and then illustration and animation at the Royal College of Art London 1984-87 . Later he devised and ran the BA honours Illustration option at the Glasgow School of Art while maintaining a freelance career. In...more
More about Mick Manning...
Dino-dinners Charles Dickens: Scenes from an Extraordinary Life What Mr Darwin Saw Snap! The Secrets of Stonehenge