Temporary Monsters
read book

Temporary Monsters (The Felix Renn Novellas)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Felix Renn is a private investigator in a supernatural world, an alternate reality where a dark dimension called The Black Lands co-exists alongside our own. Travelling to and from The Black Lands is dangerous - and illegal - but that doesn't stop some of the creatures that reside there from crossing over into our world from time to time. After a man goes berserk in a posh...more
Published October 2009 by Burning Effigy Press (first published 2009)

Midu Hadi
Amber
This was a pretty good and fast read. I enjoyed the adventures of detective felix renn who kills a vampire and werewolf who goes beserk not knowing they were given drugs to turn into the monsters. If you like horror and detective fiction, def check it out. I got this ebook for free on goodreads and it was a joy to read!
Gef
I do love me some gritty urban fantasy, so when The Man Eating Bookworm reviewed this novella by up-and-coming Canadian author, Ian Rogers, it caught my eye.

Set in a world in which monsters do exist and the borders between our dimension and a hellish one known as the Black Lands exists as well, Felix is a burned-out private eye with an ex-wife and bills to pay. His latest job has him looking into the background of a movie star who went on a psychotic rampage, in the guise of a vampire, before so...more
Rachel Inch
I found this to be wonderfully written. The story was original, the characters were interesting and it was fast paced. Really my only complain would be that it was too short! When it ended I wanted to know what happened!! So I would say this free ebook definitely accomplished its goal of intriguing its reader!
Nick Cato
While I'll admit that during the first chapter of this quick chapbook I rolled my eyes and said, "No! NOT another vampire story!," Ian Rogers had me hooked by the middle of the second and keeps things fresh till the end.

Private Investigator Felix comes across a vampire at a restaurant and manages to off him with a makeshift stake. When he finds an actor's guild card after frisking the deceased vamp, Felix decides to check things out and soon finds himself dealing with "Temporary Monsters," creat...more
Amy Carlson
Fantastic.

Gripping.

Funny.

I loved this book from start to finish. I laughed, I cringed, I eagerly turned pages. Highly recommend this book to anyone loves suspense/mystery/horror.
Jeanine
A really excellent story. I just wish it was longer; I really wanted to read more.
Simon
Rogers' world of movie stars and far-off lands rings with the wit of Chandler and the balls of Matheson. He has a knack for the perfect turn of phrase, whether it's a bon-mot from Ren's mouth or the staggering sensation the horrors he encounters inflicts on him. "Temporary Monsters" has all the markings of a best-selling concept, and to see it here on the ground floor is exciting. Rogers' has such sights to show us, and I for one cannot wait to get a look.
Joseph Patchen
Excellent twist on the Vampire trope but the mystery aspect and the ending left me hungering for more.
Wahiaronkwas David
Fantastic fantasy noir. A lot of fun.
Shelly
I don't, normally, read short stories but for only having 37 pages, this little chapbook had me turning them as fast as I could.

The writing is tight and fairly fast paced; the author is comfortable writing in the short story genre and it shows... there is no purple prose or extrenous drivel on these pages. Everything is there for a reason and it all works to move the story forward. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't feel forced or contrite and the action scenes are well choreographed.

I have to...more
Mary Rajotte
Right from the 1st line, “The waiter got killed before he could drop off the bill”, which is so stark, it immediately plunges you into the heart of the action, readers are thrown into a world where monsters are the norm and the Paranormal Intelligence Agency (PIA) and the paranormal itself acts as a dangling carrot that entices both readers and Renn alike.

For my full review, check out Bloody Bookish.
Jade
Great start to a short series of books. The only criticism i have is that it was too short for me and not alot for me to enjoy. Having said that i did highly enjoy it and am looking forward to reading the next books.
Paul
Fun monster mash-up with noir.
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Jenn Ferris
Jenn Ferris marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Tania Rock
Tania Rock marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Thana
Thana marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2013
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Teri
Teri marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2013
Jim Morey
Jim Morey marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2013
Lea
Lea marked it as to-read
May 25, 2013
Karma♥Bites ^.~
Karma♥Bites ^.~ marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ian Rogers is a writer, artist, and photographer. His debut collection, Every House Is Haunted, was the winner of the 2013 ReLit Award in the Short Fiction category. His novelette, “The House on Ashley Avenue,” was nominated for the Shirley Jackson Award and has been optioned for television by Universal Cable Productions. His short fiction has appeared in several markets, including Cemetery Dance,...more
More about Ian Rogers...
Every House Is Haunted SuperNOIRtural Tales Black-Eyed Kids The Ash Angels Deadstock