Start by marking “Temporary Monsters” as Want to Read:
Temporary Monsters

Read Book

Temporary Monsters (The Felix Renn Novellas)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Felix Renn is a private investigator in a supernatural world, an alternate reality where a dark dimension called The Black Lands co-exists alongside our own. Travelling to and from The Black Lands is dangerous - and illegal - but that doesn't stop some of the creatures that reside there from crossing over into our world from time to time. After a man goes berserk in a posh ...more
Published October 2009 by Burning Effigy Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Temporary Monsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temporary Monsters

Midu Hadi
Amber
Apr 08, 2014 Amber rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good and fast read. I enjoyed the adventures of detective felix renn who kills a vampire and werewolf who goes beserk not knowing they were given drugs to turn into the monsters. If you like horror and detective fiction, def check it out. I got this ebook for free on goodreads and it was a joy to read!
Gef
Dec 09, 2011 Gef rated it really liked it
I do love me some gritty urban fantasy, so when The Man Eating Bookworm reviewed this novella by up-and-coming Canadian author, Ian Rogers, it caught my eye.

Set in a world in which monsters do exist and the borders between our dimension and a hellish one known as the Black Lands exists as well, Felix is a burned-out private eye with an ex-wife and bills to pay. His latest job has him looking into the background of a movie star who went on a psychotic rampage, in the guise of a vampire, before so
Rachel Inch
May 20, 2014 Rachel Inch rated it really liked it
I found this to be wonderfully written. The story was original, the characters were interesting and it was fast paced. Really my only complain would be that it was too short! When it ended I wanted to know what happened!! So I would say this free ebook definitely accomplished its goal of intriguing its reader!
Nick Cato
Dec 13, 2009 Nick Cato rated it really liked it
While I'll admit that during the first chapter of this quick chapbook I rolled my eyes and said, "No! NOT another vampire story!," Ian Rogers had me hooked by the middle of the second and keeps things fresh till the end.

Private Investigator Felix comes across a vampire at a restaurant and manages to off him with a makeshift stake. When he finds an actor's guild card after frisking the deceased vamp, Felix decides to check things out and soon finds himself dealing with "Temporary Monsters," creat
Amy Carlson
Jul 06, 2014 Amy Carlson rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.

Gripping.

Funny.

I loved this book from start to finish. I laughed, I cringed, I eagerly turned pages. Highly recommend this book to anyone loves suspense/mystery/horror.
Jeanine
Feb 16, 2014 Jeanine rated it really liked it
A really excellent story. I just wish it was longer; I really wanted to read more.
Simon
Mar 04, 2010 Simon rated it really liked it
Rogers' world of movie stars and far-off lands rings with the wit of Chandler and the balls of Matheson. He has a knack for the perfect turn of phrase, whether it's a bon-mot from Ren's mouth or the staggering sensation the horrors he encounters inflicts on him. "Temporary Monsters" has all the markings of a best-selling concept, and to see it here on the ground floor is exciting. Rogers' has such sights to show us, and I for one cannot wait to get a look.
Joseph Patchen
Feb 28, 2013 Joseph Patchen rated it really liked it
Excellent twist on the Vampire trope but the mystery aspect and the ending left me hungering for more.
Wahiaronkwas David
Oct 04, 2013 Wahiaronkwas David rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-fiction
Fantastic fantasy noir. A lot of fun.
Shelly
Oct 03, 2009 Shelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2009, own
I don't, normally, read short stories but for only having 37 pages, this little chapbook had me turning them as fast as I could.

The writing is tight and fairly fast paced; the author is comfortable writing in the short story genre and it shows... there is no purple prose or extrenous drivel on these pages. Everything is there for a reason and it all works to move the story forward. The dialogue is snappy and doesn't feel forced or contrite and the action scenes are well choreographed.

I have to
Mary Rajotte
Oct 29, 2011 Mary Rajotte rated it it was amazing
Right from the 1st line, “The waiter got killed before he could drop off the bill”, which is so stark, it immediately plunges you into the heart of the action, readers are thrown into a world where monsters are the norm and the Paranormal Intelligence Agency (PIA) and the paranormal itself acts as a dangling carrot that entices both readers and Renn alike.

For my full review, check out Bloody Bookish.
Jade - Louise
Nov 03, 2012 Jade - Louise rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-rc, reviewed
Great start to a short series of books. The only criticism i have is that it was too short for me and not alot for me to enjoy. Having said that i did highly enjoy it and am looking forward to reading the next books.
Paul
Jul 12, 2010 Paul rated it really liked it
Fun monster mash-up with noir.
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Zainab
Zainab marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
Janie C.
Janie C. marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
Denny
Denny marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
Zayneea
Zayneea rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
Edwardky
Edwardky rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Oliver Trussell
Oliver Trussell marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Lisagoegan
Lisagoegan marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Christy Schell
Christy Schell marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Scooter Pospech
Scooter Pospech rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Sweven
Sweven marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Shayne Rutherford
Shayne Rutherford rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Ian Rogers is a writer, artist, and photographer. His debut collection, Every House Is Haunted, was the winner of the 2013 ReLit Award in the Short Fiction category. His novelette, “The House on Ashley Avenue,” was nominated for the Shirley Jackson Award and has been optioned for television by Universal Cable Productions. His short fiction has appeared in several markets, including Cemetery Dance, ...more
More about Ian Rogers...

The Felix Renn Novellas (3 books)
  • The Ash Angels