Start by marking “Midnight Angel (Stokehurst, #1)” as Want to Read:
Midnight Angel (Stokehurst, #1)

Midnight Angel (The Stokehursts #1)

3.65  ·  Rating Details ·  4,639 Ratings  ·  232 Reviews
Einem schrecklichen Schicksal ist die schöne junge Komtesse Anastasia entgangen. Mit einem Messer in der Hand wurde sie 1870 in St. Petersburg neben ihrem ermordeten Verlobten Michail gefunden, verhaftet und zum Tode verurteilt.Ihrem Onkel verdankt sie ihre Flucht nach England. Jetzt ist sie auf dem Landsitz des verwitweten Lucas, Marquess of Stokehurst, die Gouvernante se ...more
Published January 1st 1995 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Midnight Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight Angel

Khanh (the Grinch)
Sep 15, 2015 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-review
This book is about a cross between Jane Eyre and the Anastasia legend, with a Mary Sue as a main character and so much Angst (yes, it needs to be capitalized) that you can cut it with a knife, and I won't deny I loved every fucking moment of it.

Lisa Kleypas writes feeeeeeeeeelings and angst and tortured heroes and heroines so well. No matter how much I dislike her characters, her writing is absolutely superb. She is among the best HR writers that I've ever read.

How is it like Jane Eyre?
1. Orphan
Beth F.
This book had several elements of a bad soap opera: selective amnesia, opium abuse, a homosexual love triangle, psychic abilities, child molestation, crazy Russian kin and a tiger. Yes, a tiger. ROAR! Pretty ridiculous all in all, but if I’ve learned one thing from this book it’s that even a klunker from Lisa Kleypas is a more enjoyable read than the average historical romance.

The first half of the book flew by and was quite enjoyable but the second half fell to pieces once ridiculous antic aft
Rane
Vilda
"No one takes what is mine."

Midnight Angel was definitely a different book and I'm seriously torn about it! There were moments I loved and those I felt a bit odd. Overall I did enjoy it though, and will definitely have to continue with the sequel; after realizing who Emma will be ending up with, there's no way I'm not! I have to admit it had me worried as I considered the possibility in the beginning, but after certain events, I'm more than a little excited about their story! It will be quite
Kelly
Oct 30, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2010-read
Lisa Kleypas has done it again! A simple love story that has won a place among my favorite shelves!

This tale reminds me of some of my all time favorite love stories, Romeo and Juliet with the sleep potion, The Bronze Horseman for the Russian elements (that were very interesting and described perfectly) Though Tasia is not studying for the nunnery her faith is strong and she does become a nanny......The Sound of Music also comes to my mind!

Luke is so in love with Tasia that I was jealous! As wit
Julianna
Sep 22, 2008 Julianna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Lisa Kleypas Fans
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

Midnight Angel is not, in my opinion, Lisa Kleypas best novel by far, but it is a worthwhile read. As in most of Ms. Kleypas's other novels, the characters are rather dark, but they just didn't evoke the depth of emotions that the characters in some of her other books did for me. I found Luke to be a fairly likable hero, though perhaps a bit too arrogant and heavy-handed at times. I've heard that some readers are bothered by Luke having a hook in place of a missing
Bekah
Apr 13, 2011 Bekah rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-own, 2011-reads
Anastasia is a Russian beauty accused of murder and sentenced to death when she fakes her own death and escapes to England. There she meets Lord Luke Stokehurst and his daughter Emma and finds a new place to call home.

I really enjoyed this book. More than I thought I would. I really love the governess themed books. They always have that great element of forbidden lust and the tension is so awesome. This was done quite well in this book, so much so that I wish it had lasted longer. Where I think
kris
Sep 28, 2012 kris rated it did not like it
THIS BOOK.

1. The tone shifts, dramatically. Tasia starts out as this quiet, reserved girl who has a great deal of faith. And then, without any sort of segue-way, she's a lusty temptress who trembles every time Luke touches her. Her faith fades like mist. And then, again, she goes balls-out and demands Luke's support and respect.

2. The "alpha"-ness of Luke. There were so many instances of Luke using force against Tasia. He, at one point, kisses her until she tastes blood immediately after she te
Aimee
I had almost forgotten how much I loved Lisa Kleyas' writing! This book was so refreshing after all of the grittier books I tend to read.
One of the things that seems to draw me into Lisa Kleypas's books, whether historical or contemporary, is the completely believable romance. She has the ablility to build a relationship that makes you route for the characters like you know them personally. It could be a sea slug falling in love with a space alien. But Ms. Kleypas makes you believe it!
Carolina
Mar 01, 2015 Carolina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Verónica
Kleypas nunca me decepciona.Me ha encantado!
Al *the serial series skipper*
Sep 24, 2016 Al *the serial series skipper* rated it really liked it
The beginning blew me away, it was so gripping i had to keep on reading. I'm surprised i never read this before. There were instances where things were just too much but still i enjoyed it overall.
Debbie
Nov 03, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it
Another Lisa Kleypas winner

With a few of her books under my belt it feels good and I can confidently say that when I need my Historical Romance fix, this is the author that I will run to. I enjoy a little Downton Abbey meets Pride and Prejudice aired on a cable channel to for the right to show a little steam. What I like about this authors books is that not only do you get those key elements but you get a bit of a meaty story as well. One could technically rip out all the special romance scene
Nonieღserenity2bliss
Mar 12, 2011 Nonieღserenity2bliss rated it really liked it
The story starts strong but looses its charms midway. I don't know if it's because Luke and Tasia got together sooner than I expected or it's because I'm not entirely convince how fast Luke fell for Tasia.

And the age gap between them bothers me more than it should (he's 34, she's 18). Had she been 20 and he's 36, I'd probably be okay with it. He has a 12 year-old daughter, for heaven's sake! In today's society, he would be call a cradle robber.
Julz

This one was ok, I guess. Chick running from a crime she doesn't remember if she committed and lands her a tall rich dude with a hook for a hand. Lots of syrupy mush and a pseudoalpha male. No hard limits for miles around.
Lelyana
Nov 30, 2011 Lelyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Membaca tidak berurutan seri ini dan sempat kecewa dengan buku 2 tentang Emma dan si mata keranjang tukang selingkuh, Prince Nikolas, saya berharap buku tentang Luke (Papa Emma) dan Tasia (Sepupu jauh Nikolas) bisa memberikan penghiburan buat saya. Semoga.

Tasia berhasil melarikan diri ke Inggris dari hukuman mati di Rusia akibat tuduhan pembunuhan terhadap tunangannya Prince Mikhail Angelovsky.
Di tampung di rumah sepupu nya, Tasia harus seger menghilang dan bersembunyi dari kejaran agen2 rahasi
Amy
Sep 14, 2015 Amy rated it liked it
Cooped up in bed, this was the perfect thing for me to read. That being said, it was far from a perfect book.

I'm a fan of Lisa Kleypas, most of the time. I think she's easily one of the best contemporary HR authors; she has a gift of taking a very specific and limiting time period and somehow putting a fresh spin on each and every novel. Midnight Angel's spin? Russia. There had to have been a hefty amount of research involved in the creation of this story. It's impressive -- not only did she ne
Joy
Nov 04, 2009 Joy rated it really liked it
Reading a Lisa Kleypas novel has always been a treat, and this book is no exception. The characters were very likeable, and the setting was a change of scene starting in Russia, to England, back and forth. I love how LK's writing is consistent, but there's always something new with every story, they're never boring and predictable. The only thing I always know is a happy ending, and in this case foreshadowing.

Tasia was one of the slender heroines in her books but she has that mystic charm, and a
Fanny Roswita Ria
Awalnya gw bingung mo ngasih berapa bintang krn di satu sisi gw menikmati alur ceritanya tp disisi lain agak2 gimana gitu ngebayangin usia Luke 34thn dg Tasia 18thn (selisih 16 thn) berasa baca karya Diana Palmer mah ini:-D

Anw, Anastasia Kapretva (semoga bener penulisan namanya) seorang lady dr Rusia yg melarikan diri ke wilayah Inggris utk menghindar dari hukuman mati krn tuduhan membunuh Mikhail Angelouvsky (semoga ini bener juga namanya, hbs rada susah sih) yg tdk lain merupakan tunangan Tasi
Susan (susayq ~)
I just don't know what to say about this one. I've read Lisa Kleypas before and LOVED her! The romance, the humor...she does it perfectly. Then I picked this up and WOAH! Not at all what I expected. This was dark and almost angsty! And I loved it just the same!

My only problem with this was the hero, Luke. Luke was an alpha male. Yes, I like alpha male heroes. I like them a lot. But here's where the problem came in - one minute he was pushing Tasia up against the door kissing the heck out of her
Lady Wesley
Dec 09, 2014 Lady Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second audible BOGO title -- an older Kleypas historical that I've never gotten around to reading.

I thoroughly enjoyed the book, even though it is not up to the standards of Kleypas's later titles. The lovers fall into the sack rather quickly, and the dramatic plots twists are not so very dramatic and are resolved quickly and cleanly.

Susan Duerden is a new narrator to me, and I have mixed feelings. She did an outstanding job voicing the characters. Tasia's Russian accent was not lai
Manuela
Feb 13, 2011 Manuela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scambiato, storico
Nonostante sia ancora un romanzo acerbo, lo stile della Kleypas si riconosce anche in questa sua opera.
La storia non è nulla di originale: l'istitutrice che si innamora del padrone, in puro stile Jane Eyre, ma nonostante ciò, la storia si sviluppa in maniera fluida ed emozionante, e la Kleypas ha il merito di creare due protagonisti simpatici e ben assortiti, per i quali è facile provare empatia ed affetto. Luke non è il solito bastardo kleypasiano, è più tenero e pacato, ma all'occorrenza sa t
Samantha
Feb 27, 2010 Samantha rated it really liked it
LaFleurBleue
Aug 19, 2013 LaFleurBleue rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
This was not Lisa Kleypas's best book by far, though not the worst.
I rather liked the heroine, I liked the way her relationship with Lucas evolved, their love for each other and how she managed to handle Emma. I also really liked how Lucas managed to learn to care and love someone other than his deceased wife.
However the partial amnesia was a bit too much and not cleverfully managed by either of those. I kept wondering when they would get the mind-reading woman back to be clear on what had happ
Linds
Lisa Kleypas has spoiled me. This book wasn't terrible, but it's not very engaging and forgettable. Kleypas is my favorite romance author and I would recommend Dreaming of You or Again the Magic way over this.

I feel like her teacher in school telling her she is not living up to her potential.

Linda
Sep 08, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, duology
2.5

I love Lisa Kleypas but this one was a total miss for me.

I returned book 2 Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2) by Lisa Kleypas of the series even though I'm usually OCD about finishing a whole series. I just couldn't do it!
Shannon
Lucas Stokehurst
Anastasia "Tasia" Kaptereva

I won't say this was my favorite story from my Kleypas so far but it was still quite good. The characters were interesting. The plot, pacing and even the narrator were good but for some reason I don't have any gushing enthusiasm for this book. Oh well, still a solid 4 Stars.
Kathie (katmom)
Aug 19, 2011 Kathie (katmom) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tasia was set to be hung for a murder that she doesn't remember.

She took a giant gamble and escaped the prison in Russia.

She begins working for Lucas, Lord Stokehurst, as a governess for his 12 y/o daughter.

At some point she finds herself back in Russia, set, once again, to hang...

The bits in Russia were fascinating as Luke tried to work his way through the streets to find her.
Amy
Not the best, Lisa, not your best. The problem is though, I don't know why. The characters were all great, nothing wrong there. There was just something about the book that's made me forget half of it and not even want to go back and read it again. Not too sure really.
Karen Grage
May 09, 2013 Karen Grage rated it liked it
A little slow in places and not my favorite Kleypas book. That's not stopping me from wanting to read the next book in the series however!
  • Three Weddings and a Kiss
  • Christmas Love Stories
  • A Christmas Present
  • Don't Bargain with the Devil (School for Heiresses, #5)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Breathless (The House of Rohan, #3)
  • Silk and Shadows (Silk Trilogy, #1)
  • Everything and the Moon (The Lyndon Sisters, #1)
  • Her Only Desire (Spice Trilogy #1)
  • Not So Innocent
  • Wicked Angel
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • No Marriage of Convenience
  • One Night Of Scandal (Fairleigh Sisters, #2)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)
  • To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2)
More about Lisa Kleypas...

The Stokehursts (2 books)
  • Prince of Dreams (Stokehurst, #2)

“I don't need any trinkets or pictures to remind me of my faith—all I need to do is stare out the window at the woods, and see how beautiful they are.” 2 likes