Start by marking “Pardon My Body” as Want to Read:
Pardon My Body

Pardon My Body

From the moment Dale's headlights hit the nyloned legs of lovely Julia Casson on that old Connecticut highway, trouble moved right in on him--and stayed there.Gunmen, straight coppers and crooked coppers, luscious bedtime lovelies and the fabulous mystery of the Task Force dagger deaths...Bogard cracks his way through it all to the most breathless showdown ever.
Paperback, Harlequin Romance #147, 186 pages
Published October 1st 2009 by Harlequin (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Pardon My Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pardon My Body

Nancy
Sep 01, 2014 Nancy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I shouldn't have read the Goodreads readers' reviews first, because most people did not like this book very much. It seemed like a fun 1950's noir mystery to me. I will agree that the main character, Dale, who is now an unemployed ex-newspaper man, is way too tough for that career. The other big criticism is that because the author is English he doesn't get the 1950s American crime scene and dialogue correct, which I disagree with. People are being killed and Dale gets involved, trying to figure ...more
Eric
Dec 11, 2009 Eric rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime, 2009
Believe me, journalists aren't very tough. They drink a lot, they smell funny, and they dress badly. But I've never met a reporter I would describe as tough. The protagonist of Pardon My Body is an ex-newspaperman who butts heads with crooked cops, murderous gold diggers, and nasty musclemen. Pure fantasy! Another odd little book from the vaults of Harlequin.

Glen
Jun 25, 2013 Glen rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Seems like a British author tried to knock off an American hard boiled mystery without any real idea of how to make one work. While the starting premise is interesting, it goes off the rails all too soon.
Leticia
Dec 22, 2014 Leticia rated it it was ok
This is a fun, trashy 1950s journalist-hunts-baddies romp. Filled with sensuous women, one - dimensional characters and a fairly convoluted story, don't expect much of this book. It's pretty bad even for total trash, but as far as junk food for the mind goes, it totally delivers.
Jena
Nov 22, 2009 Jena rated it it was amazing
A great little hard-boiled detective book. Now I am going to have to read all of the Harlequin Vintage collection. It is a tight, neat short story with a great ending that I never saw coming.
Shin Machine
Sep 27, 2012 Shin Machine rated it did not like it
do not bother reading this novel. There is not a single character anyone would like and the mystery is not very exciting.
Andy
Jun 10, 2010 Andy rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-novel
Fairly lousy mystery by British writer trying to write in an American style, and mostly failing. This one could have stayed out of print.
David
Jan 10, 2010 David rated it did not like it
Shelves: noirboiled
This is not a faithful reprint of the original novel but a bowdlerization. You should boycott this book.
Lynne
Lynne rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2012
Jessica Pesic
Jessica Pesic rated it did not like it
Jan 15, 2012
Andi B.
Andi B. rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2009
Ally Schottler
Ally Schottler rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Kern
Kern rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Stephanie Archibald
Stephanie Archibald rated it it was ok
Aug 28, 2016
John
Aug 25, 2010 John rated it liked it
Gool old Hard Case Crime.
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Shel404
Shel404 rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2011
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2009
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2011
Brad Lucas
Brad Lucas rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2014
Jenny Churchill
Jenny Churchill rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2009
kymdotcom
kymdotcom rated it it was ok
Jan 17, 2010
Manoja K.
Manoja K. rated it it was ok
May 26, 2013
Jeff
Jeff rated it did not like it
Oct 18, 2009
Carmelina
Carmelina rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2013
Gaynor
Gaynor rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2016
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2012
Will Pacheco
Will Pacheco rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2011
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2014
John Wilson
John Wilson rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012