Start by marking “The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search For The Sorcerer Supreme” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search For The Sorcerer Supreme

The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search For The Sorcerer Supreme (The New Avengers #11)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  496 ratings  ·  19 reviews
WHO IS THE NEW SORCERER SUPREME? Doctor Strange has failed as the Master of the Mystic Arts and all the other mystic characters are the heir apparent. Strange comes to the New Avengers for help as the mystic battle royale begins. And how can the Avengers trust Spider-Man if he won't take his mask off? Collects New Avengers #51-55.
Published December 2nd 2009 by Marvel (first published September 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Vol. 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers, Vol. 11

StoryTellerShannon
Dr. Strange is out and a new Sorcerer Supreme is going to be picked by an ancient relic. Toss in the New Avengers and we might have a loose story here. The best part are the introductions of mostly unknown heroes/villains.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus to B.
Majid Nobles
okay, first of all, I would like to commend Billy Tan and Chris Bachalo for the awesome art! The story is catchy, but with some loose ends somewhere in the middle. It's about time for Strange to come back to the scene. I love the dialogues, especially the scene where Luke Cage's wife admitted to having a crush on Peter Parker way back in high school. LOL, i just hope they put more of Strange in the New Avengers. They SERIOUSLY need a mystic in their roster!
Valery Tzvetanov
First the art. I really don’t like the style of Chris Bachalo. Definitely not my type of drawing. I was relieved when Billy Tan stepped in with the last two issues.
Bendis really likes the Hood (obviously because he created him). This collection is dealing mostly with the search of the new Sorcerer Supreme, after Doctor Strange lost the title before the Secret Invasion. We finally see more from Dormammu (the demon who gives the Hood his powers). The demon wants badly the power of Sorcerer Suprem
Shannon Appelcline
This plot here is OK, but it's really the small elements that make this volume, such as Peter Parker and Jessica Jones' discovery that they know each other.
Silas
Turns out I read this when it came out. Not surprising, as I really enjoyed New Avengers at the time. This focuses (unsurprisingly, given the title) on the search for a new Sorcerer Supreme. It makes for a relatively straightforward story, overall, with some interesting tidbits, like where Spider-Man reveals his identity under pressure, and there is an amusing consequence. Anyhway, it was enjoyable, overall, fits the New Avengers into the larger Marvel universe, and sows the seeds for the Siege ...more
Arturo
Dr. Strange is searching for a new Sorcerer Supreme, after his mistakes in judgment, (using a demon he called on during World War Hulk). Spider-Mans identity comes into question again after the 'One More Day' story changed everything for him on his own title. The Hood is guided, later possessed, by Dormammu, to take on the Sorcerer Supreme mantle. Hellstrom and Brother Voodoo guest appear.
I hate Magic ..stories.
Eric
Bendis used to the be a the top of the game when it came to comics, but I'm so sick of his writing. Cool ideas that he just wastes with issue long round table conversations and poor action. The man needs to retire sooner than later.
Brad
This volume closes some of the side-storylines in New Avengers--The Hood's demons are revealed and Doctor Strange gets a successor--but mostly keeps the latest status quo in check. Clint Barton's more fully in the center of the Avengers, and he really hates Norman Osborn and the "dark" Avengers. The action towards the end feels messy and rushed, again like in past New Avengers stories. Still, there are some great character moments--the new Sorcerer Supreme has an interesting internal monologue. ...more
Martin
Doctor Strange has somehow lost his mastery of the mystic arts, and the search for a new Sorcerer Supreme is on! Already this plot line doesn't interest me, but to make matters worse Brother Voodoo gets the top job. I don't know that guy and I do not care one bit about him or anything about him. Not content with using only one obscure character, Bendis trots out the Son of Satan and writes in The Hood, who, arguably, has an interest in becoming the top Sorcerer in the Marvel U. As if Marvel woul ...more
Rob
interesting story arc, I loved the parts with Billy and Spiderman.
Felipe
BACHALO. Bachalo Bachalo Bachalo.

A magic heavy arc as Dr Strange searches for his replacement, Billy Tan and Chris Bachalo split the duties in the first two issues, and Tan finishes out the arc. Still can't get into Billy's art, but Chris absolutely delivers, with fantastic pencils, and page layouts that stray from the mundane.

The story is pretty solid as well, dealing with the fallout of Dark Reign and the leadership and direction of the New-new Avengers.
Thomas
Bendis may be overhypped but he does write some fun comics. This showcases some of his strength in writing dialog that flows like a normal conversation. It's not perfect but it's fun to read. Particularly the Peter Parker/Jessica Jones convo. I am glad he revealed himself to the New Avengers again after his identity was erased from everyone's memory in Brand New Day. Also glad to see Dr. Strange back in the mix.
Chris
Wait, didn't the new avengers learn spidey's identity in the first issue when they fought those hundred escaped villains? What about when he revealed himself right before the civil war? Did I miss the retcon memo? Anyway parker robbins is in full effect and the hood plotline is going strong. Yay!
Jamil
this exemplified the things I find frustrating about Brian Bendis' writing. Nothing happens, everyone talks the same, and rather than shown, things are explained. Bachalo's two half issues of art are the only highlight.
Jamie
Good story, but Tan and Bachalo are a bad match for a tag team. Their styles don't go together at all. Even if Bachalo wasn't in a class by himself, aesthetically they are too far apart to be switching up every few pages.
Eddie
Somewhere between all the events we had a great comic book story of just a quest and adventure. " I'm already peeing" was a great line, thank you Mr. Bendis. Who would of thought I would of said that.
Angela
Kind of fun, the Avengers search for a new Dr Strange. Lots of good team banter. Love the bit where Luke Cage's wife used to have a crush on Peter Parker.
James Dunphy
Avengers, the Hood, Dr. Strange, a wise ass Spiderman, and a Voodoo Strange? Hell yes.
Sharon
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
Variaciones Enrojo
Variaciones Enrojo marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Tamoko ORmsby
Tamoko ORmsby marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Ronald Price
Ronald Price is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
  • Avengers: The Children's Crusade
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man
  • Secret Invasion: X-Men

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

The New Avengers (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 7: The Trust
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 8: Secret Invasion - Vol. 1
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 9: Secret Invasion - Vol. 2
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 10: Power
House of M Ultimate Spider-Man, Vol. 1: Power and Responsibility Powers, Vol. 1: Who Killed Retro Girl? The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 1: Cosmic Avengers