Start by marking “The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search For The Sorcerer Supreme” as Want to Read:
The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search For The Sorcerer Supreme

The New Avengers, Vol. 11: Search For The Sorcerer Supreme (New Avengers #11)

WHO IS THE NEW SORCERER SUPREME? Doctor Strange has failed as the Master of the Mystic Arts and all the other mystic characters are the heir apparent. Strange comes to the New Avengers for help as the mystic battle royale begins. And how can the Avengers trust Spider-Man if he won't take his mask off? Collects New Avengers #51-55.
Published December 2nd 2009 by Marvel (first published September 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The New Avengers, Vol. 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Avengers, Vol. 11

Dr. Strange is out and a new Sorcerer Supreme is going to be picked by an ancient relic. Toss in the New Avengers and we might have a loose story here. The best part are the introductions of mostly unknown heroes/villains.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus to B.
Gavin started well, but the art changes were bad. Tan is solid art, Bendis has real dialogue, Spidey gets more focus, jokes, and Dr. Strange returns to pass on the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme...but the Hood stands in his way...featuring Damion Hellstrom and Brother Voodoo, plus Jessica Jones knows Peter from way back in the day!

I miss Danny Rand, Clint gets angrier by the minute, Bucky is being overlooked, and issue 55 is shit.
Brian Poole
Jul 23, 2015 Brian Poole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Strange returned. Having determined he was no longer fit to be Sorcerer Supreme, he was on the hunt for his successor. The Hood attacked, attempting to seize Strange’s power totems, which sent Strange and the New Avengers to New Orleans. The Hood attacked Daimon Hellstrom and employed Madame Masque to help distract the Avengers while he went after Strange. Brother Voodoo emerged as Strange’s true successor and, in cooperation with Strange and Hellstrom, de-powered The Hood. The Hood wasn’ ...more
Majid Nobles
Jul 17, 2012 Majid Nobles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay, first of all, I would like to commend Billy Tan and Chris Bachalo for the awesome art! The story is catchy, but with some loose ends somewhere in the middle. It's about time for Strange to come back to the scene. I love the dialogues, especially the scene where Luke Cage's wife admitted to having a crush on Peter Parker way back in high school. LOL, i just hope they put more of Strange in the New Avengers. They SERIOUSLY need a mystic in their roster!
Dec 04, 2015 Craig rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Awful. Can someone explain how people killed in Volume 5 are alive, or why Captain Marvel is now Ms. Marvel again?
Shannon Appelcline
This plot here is OK, but it's really the small elements that make this volume, such as Peter Parker and Jessica Jones' discovery that they know each other.
MB Taylor
Jul 29, 2015 MB Taylor rated it really liked it
I read this immediately after finishing The New Avengers, Vol. 7: The Trust and the difference was amazing. I bought both books to fill some of the holes in my Doctor Strange collection and although the first issue in volume 11 was published over a year after the last issue in volume 7 (May 2009 vs. February 2008) it's the next real appearance of Doctor Strange.

Search for the Sorcerer Supreme reprints only 4 issues of the New Avengers and Strange doesn't even appear until the very last page of t
Valery Tzvetanov
First the art. I really don’t like the style of Chris Bachalo. Definitely not my type of drawing. I was relieved when Billy Tan stepped in with the last two issues.
Bendis really likes the Hood (obviously because he created him). This collection is dealing mostly with the search of the new Sorcerer Supreme, after Doctor Strange lost the title before the Secret Invasion. We finally see more from Dormammu (the demon who gives the Hood his powers). The demon wants badly the power of Sorcerer Suprem
May 14, 2015 Mairi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The search for the new Sorcerer Supreme gives us a nice showdown between the Hood/his demon and the Avengers, Dr. Strange, Brother Voodoo and Daimon Hellstrom. Daimon is a kickass character, but Brother Voodoo's over-the-top stereotypicalness makes me cringe every time.

There's also some good conversations between the Avengers about superheroes and ethics regarding killing, and to what degree some of that has gotten them into the current mess. Parker comes across to me as the more naive one, but
Nov 16, 2009 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
This volume closes some of the side-storylines in New Avengers--The Hood's demons are revealed and Doctor Strange gets a successor--but mostly keeps the latest status quo in check. Clint Barton's more fully in the center of the Avengers, and he really hates Norman Osborn and the "dark" Avengers. The action towards the end feels messy and rushed, again like in past New Avengers stories. Still, there are some great character moments--the new Sorcerer Supreme has an interesting internal monologue. ...more
Sep 02, 2013 Martin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used-to-own, reviewed
Doctor Strange has somehow lost his mastery of the mystic arts, and the search for a new Sorcerer Supreme is on! Already this plot line doesn't interest me, but to make matters worse Brother Voodoo gets the top job. I don't know that guy and I do not care one bit about him or anything about him. Not content with using only one obscure character, Bendis trots out the Son of Satan and writes in The Hood, who, arguably, has an interest in becoming the top Sorcerer in the Marvel U. As if Marvel woul ...more
Probably a terrible starting point for someone interested in Doctor Strange as the story is the search for his successor, but the title should really have given that away to me.

This was enjoyable enough. A tad disjointed in places, which makes sense given duties are split between Bacchalo and Bendis. Regardless, the panels were great; Spidey’s interactions with Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were gold, and I’m curious enough about Strange’s successor to have enjoyed the ride and want to go again, s
Jan 16, 2015 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turns out I read this when it came out. Not surprising, as I really enjoyed New Avengers at the time. This focuses (unsurprisingly, given the title) on the search for a new Sorcerer Supreme. It makes for a relatively straightforward story, overall, with some interesting tidbits, like where Spider-Man reveals his identity under pressure, and there is an amusing consequence. Anyhway, it was enjoyable, overall, fits the New Avengers into the larger Marvel universe, and sows the seeds for the Siege ...more
Jun 30, 2012 Felipe rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
BACHALO. Bachalo Bachalo Bachalo.

A magic heavy arc as Dr Strange searches for his replacement, Billy Tan and Chris Bachalo split the duties in the first two issues, and Tan finishes out the arc. Still can't get into Billy's art, but Chris absolutely delivers, with fantastic pencils, and page layouts that stray from the mundane.

The story is pretty solid as well, dealing with the fallout of Dark Reign and the leadership and direction of the New-new Avengers.
Dr. Strange is searching for a new Sorcerer Supreme, after his mistakes in judgment, (using a demon he called on during World War Hulk). Spider-Mans identity comes into question again after the 'One More Day' story changed everything for him on his own title. The Hood is guided, later possessed, by Dormammu, to take on the Sorcerer Supreme mantle. Hellstrom and Brother Voodoo guest appear.
I hate Magic ..stories.
Jul 30, 2013 Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bendis may be overhypped but he does write some fun comics. This showcases some of his strength in writing dialog that flows like a normal conversation. It's not perfect but it's fun to read. Particularly the Peter Parker/Jessica Jones convo. I am glad he revealed himself to the New Avengers again after his identity was erased from everyone's memory in Brand New Day. Also glad to see Dr. Strange back in the mix.
Jun 13, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one gets five stars for Peter Parker alone! OMG his dialogue was ON IT this volume, LOL. His conversation with Jessica and Luke had me dying. I also really, really like Doctor Strange in this run, but for being a volume with his name in the title he wasn't the dynamic character he normally is.
Dec 30, 2015 Chompa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, 2015
I did a reread of all the New Avengers recently. This is a standout in comics for me on so many levels. It has the best roster, best heart, best dialogue, best writing and phenomenal art. Bendis really nailed this story line and this entire run.
Don't get me wrong. I like Dr. Strange. I just didn't like this story arc.
Sharath Gopal
May 17, 2016 Sharath Gopal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
YES. Finally, some major, cosmic whoopass!! Well, not cosmic but that was still an epic fight. I love how magic in the marvel universe doesn't automatically turn people into useless props. They should do an entire storyline around Dormammu and the Dark dimension. Now that would be a great story
Aug 12, 2013 Eddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic, 2013
Somewhere between all the events we had a great comic book story of just a quest and adventure. " I'm already peeing" was a great line, thank you Mr. Bendis. Who would of thought I would of said that.
Aug 21, 2009 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphicnovels
Good story, but Tan and Bachalo are a bad match for a tag team. Their styles don't go together at all. Even if Bachalo wasn't in a class by himself, aesthetically they are too far apart to be switching up every few pages.
this exemplified the things I find frustrating about Brian Bendis' writing. Nothing happens, everyone talks the same, and rather than shown, things are explained. Bachalo's two half issues of art are the only highlight.
Jul 11, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wait, didn't the new avengers learn spidey's identity in the first issue when they fought those hundred escaped villains? What about when he revealed himself right before the civil war? Did I miss the retcon memo? Anyway parker robbins is in full effect and the hood plotline is going strong. Yay!
Eric Mikols
Nov 11, 2014 Eric Mikols rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: avengers
Bendis used to the be a the top of the game when it came to comics, but I'm so sick of his writing. Cool ideas that he just wastes with issue long round table conversations and poor action. The man needs to retire sooner than later.
Nicole Westen
I'm really happy that Brother Voodoo made an appearance here. The vastness of African mythos is so vastly under-utilized in most magic-themed works!
Jun 13, 2011 Angela rated it really liked it
Kind of fun, the Avengers search for a new Dr Strange. Lots of good team banter. Love the bit where Luke Cage's wife used to have a crush on Peter Parker.
Dwayne Young
Dwayne Young rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2013
Vadim rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2016
Anthony rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2014
Andrew Bundy
Andrew Bundy rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
  • Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Secret Invasion
  • Siege: Thor
  • X-Factor, Vol. 20: Hell on Earth War
  • Strange: The Doctor Is Out!
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Vol. 3: World's Most Wanted, Book 2
  • Dark Reign: Young Avengers
  • Spider-Man: New Ways To Die
  • Captain America: Reborn
  • Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat
  • War of Kings
  • Ultimate Comics Avengers vs. New Ultimates: Death of Spider-Man

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

New Avengers (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • The New Avengers, Vol. 1: Breakout