Start by marking “Scorsese by Ebert” as Want to Read:
Scorsese by Ebert

Scorsese by Ebert

Roger Ebert wrote the first film review that director Martin Scorsese ever received—for 1967’s I Call First, later renamed Who’s That Knocking at My Door—creating a lasting bond that made him one of Scorsese’s most appreciative and perceptive commentators. Scorsese by Ebert offers the first record of America’s most respected film critic’s engagement with the works of Ameri ...more
Published September 15th 2009 by University Of Chicago Press (first published October 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Scorsese by Ebert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scorsese by Ebert

Andy Carrington
Apr 13, 2016 Andy Carrington rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: people
Arguably, the most talented director to ever grace our screen, detailed by one of film's greatest ever critics.

A good read. Had an interest in Scorsese before, but an even keener one now.

Recommended.
Dankwa Brooks
May 30, 2011 Dankwa Brooks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw that my favorite movie critic wrote a book about my favorite director I knew I had to read this book!

From the book’s introduction-
“Roger Ebert wrote the first film review that director Martin Scorsese ever received—for 1967’s ‘I Call First’—when both men were just embarking on their careers. Ebert had never been touched by a movie in quite the same way before, and this experience created a lasting bond that made him one of Scorsese’s most appreciative and perceptive commentators. ‘Sco
Mina
Feb 26, 2012 Mina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not much of a Scorsese fan, but somehow I have seen almost all of his movies, that’s because I love Robert De Niro and Leonardo DiCaprio. Still, I never ever truly liked Scorsese’s movie, until, recently Hugo!

Then I had to read Scorsese by Roger Ebert because he is my favorite film critic. Scorsese by Ebert is a very solid book on a single movie director. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Ebert’s writing is so smart and insightful without being elitist or snobbish.

There are some repetitions since E
Petra Willemse
Obviously if you are a Scorsese fan, you will enjoy this book. My problem with it is the repetition. Ebert gives us his original review, but then in many cases, an updated review, and in some cases, an additional reflection review. That wouldn't be an issue if it was all new content. Unfortunately, Ebert repeats himself often. For example, if he mentioned the "madonna-whore complex" one more time, I was going to put down the book forever. He intersperses the reviews with interviews with Scorsese ...more
Larry Kucharik
Dec 01, 2008 Larry Kucharik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful insight to the thinking of Martin Scorsese.....If you like ANY of his films, you must read this book.....Ebert goes in depth reviewing Martin's behind the scenes thinking. Most of the movies are reviewed early on, as a movie review and in many cases a retrospection of the film....A must read for Ebert fans but more of a must read for Scorsese fans.....easy read.....but great!!!
Patricia
Jul 15, 2012 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebert and Scorsese both had Catholic childhoods. This makes it easy for the critic to understand the film maker's obsessions, and for him to appreciate his brilliance. Even though the book is redundant in parts, the interview with Scorsese is pretty great, and the recaps of all the films make the book an essential reference on this important director.
James
Apr 07, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Indispensable. Absolutely, utterly necessary. I have a number of books about Martin Scorsese, but this is the one I usually reach for, especially now. The individual essays are of course superb, but taken together, they are vital and rich with anecdote and insight.

Oh, Roger. I'm going to miss you terribly.
Sebastian
Sep 06, 2012 Sebastian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, film
After having read this book I have some clues, at last, as to why the films by one of the most famous directors of our time have often, despite their fascinating subject matters and technical brilliance, remained inaccessible to me to a certain degree: 1) I am not pre-Vatican II; 2) I am not from New York; 3) I never dreamt of being a gangster when I was a child.
John
Dec 25, 2008 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading for fans of either artist. This enthusiastic book of interviews, reviews and essays makes me want to rewatch many Scorsese films to see what I've missed up to now.
Rachel C.
This book is an interesting retrospective. It goes through Scorsese's films chronologically, with Ebert's original, unedited reviews when they were released and some additional essays reconsidering them with the benefit of time.

He doesn't change his mind by much. Ebert is a huge fan of Scorsese and has been from the start. He readily admits that their similar ages and Catholic backgrounds make Scorsese's work particularly resonant with him. In fact, in his introduction, Martin Scorsese mentions
Kevin Cecil
Jan 26, 2014 Kevin Cecil rated it liked it
Shelves: film, male-author
As a college freshman, I attended the Ebert/Scorsese Wexner Center interview which acts as the centerpiece to this critical/career retrospective. This was over 15 years ago now, so much of the content felt absolutely fresh; but there were many ideas that I've since owned to a point I truly believed they were my own thoughts. When people claim to not like horror, musicals, melodramas, etc. I often try to explain that genre doesn't matter, what is done within the genre matters*. I now suspect this ...more
Pj
Oct 13, 2015 Pj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think you could expect less than perfection when perhaps the greatest film critic turns his gaze towards perhaps the greatest American film director. While the book contains little recent writing and is comprised primarily of archived reviews (the book was published prior to Ebert's passing), it's still a fascinating read and you can see Ebert's rightful enthusiasm for Scorsese from the beginning and watch it evolve. It also helps he adds reconsiderations every so often and, perhaps to f ...more
Mat Brewster
Apr 09, 2014 Mat Brewster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
One of my favorite directors discussed by my favorite critic. Ebert apparently gave Scorsese his first review ever when Who's That Knocking at My Door came to a Chicago film festival and this book contains them all up until Shine a Light. There are also a few times when he revisits a film with a new review, plus all of his Great Movie essays on Scorsese films and some interviews with the director.

Ebert is a great writer and its a really good read. At times it gets just a bit repetitive as Ebert
Anthony Peronto
May 09, 2014 Anthony Peronto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film, favorites
What more can be said about the writer and subject of this invaluable book? From ambitious debut to Stones documentary, and everything in between, Ebert's reviews perfectly examine Marty's themes and filmmaking. And like most of his reviews, they make you want to stop what you're doing and watch the film that you're reading about. Then there's the interviews; which let Marty control the conversation but also reveals the bond between the two men. Grateful but honest, the book proves that Ebert is ...more
Amy
Sep 04, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You know the old saying "You Can't Judge a Book by It's Cover"? Well in this case, that couldn't be more true!

From the cover, this book looks like a biography about the man, Scorsese. It's not.

Roger Ebert has been reviewing Scorsese's films for over 40 years. Over the years the two men became friends, not close intimate friends, but the type of friendship two people can have over a "hobbie" ... say the movies!

This book contains Ebert's reviews of Scorsese's movies over the years. He includes re
Anna
Mar 19, 2009 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-about-film
I have always respected the film making of Martin Scorsese and the film criticism of Roger Ebert, so having one write about the other was a real treat! A luminous exploration of some truly great films, like Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, The Age of Innocence, etc, etc.... One thing that I discovered about his films, is a distinct pattern of misogyny. Many of Scorses's male characters view women through the Mary-mother of god/Mary Magdalene lense. Women are holy, until they express real human values, t ...more
Andrew
Nov 16, 2008 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film, criticism
I wanted to like this book alot more, because I am such a huge fan of Scorcese. Unfortunately, these reviews are neither very illuminating or feel very fresh. The main problem of the book is that Ebert is constantly repeating himself. Towards the end I was audibly groaning as Ebert again gave the plot synopsis to Who's Knocking at my Door. The Wexner Center interview is interesting, but that is the only section of the book I can really recommend. I think Ebert is a better writer and much funnier ...more
Mk100
The essays are interesting and insightful, and Ebert writes on a level that doesn't require an extensive critical vocabulary. But Ebert covers essentially every Scorsese movie, and there is an enormous amount of repetition in the essays, particularly about Scorsese's influences and obsessions. Still, I liked the book, and got a better perspective on films like "Mean Streets" and "The Age of Innocence".
Peter
Mar 16, 2009 Peter rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I Love Scorsese. I Love Ebert. This book is okay. Instead of writing a whole new book, Ebert compiled years of reviews, interviews, articles, and analysis then organized it and published it as this book. Each individual part is excellently written and insightful. Published together, it feels repetitive. If you like Ebert and/or extremely well written movie analysis check out his "Great Movies" series instead.
Joan
Sep 25, 2008 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it well enough although Roger Ebert has a major fetishism with Martin Scorsese. He thinks film lives and dies with him! It was nice to know more about this maverick, but I really think they're better living film makers around (like Peter Weir for example from Australia). America still has a lot of good film makers, but Hollywood as we know it is vastly becoming more international.
David
Aug 01, 2014 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebert's introductions to each section start to feel repetitive, as they mostly mirror what he has to say in the reviews and reconsiderations that follow. But this is a minor quibble. A compilation of reflections on a seminal auteur from one of America's most gifted scribes — if you're a fan of either, you'll get something out of it.
Jean
Enjoying it so far. It is a compilation of Roger Ebert's reviews as originally printed of all of Martin Scorsese's movies, as well as interviews and some re-reviews of a portion of his movies. An easy book to pick up read just a few pages and not necessarily need to read from first to last page.
KB Burke
Aug 15, 2009 KB Burke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Scorsese movies but this book explained, through reviews and reconsideration, why I feel kindredness toward his choices. Ebert does a great job showing how he grew as a film critic simultaneously as Scorsese's fame and directorial prowess increased. Some reviews seem repetitive but always through.
Chris
Jan 27, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no better living cinema critic than Roger Ebert, so of course it's a pleasure to read this compendium of reviews, essays and reconsiderations on Scorsese's films. Most interesting were lengthy discussions of After Hours and The King of Comedy, two lesser works which I am now prompted to rewatch.
Clayton
This is nothing more than a compendium of Ebert's reviews, interviews, and thoughts on Scorsese. It is definitely a fun read, but it is not the essential study of Scorsese that Ebert is certainly capable of writing. For Ebert and Scorsese completists (like me) only.
j_ay
A bit too much repetition and a bit too much summery as review, but a few half decent interview bits.
Covering up to The Departed (not only clearly Scorsese’s worst movie (although Gangs of New York is close, and I haven’t seen The Aviator), but one of the worst movies of all time).
Kim
Oct 20, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ebert's reviews have encouraged me to see the scorsese flicks that i haven't experienced yet. of the movies that i have seen, ebert gives great reviews without giving too much away. so far, i love this book.
D.J.
Oct 17, 2011 D.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those hardcore Scorsese fans the book will be incredibly enjoyable, but everyone else will find it frustrating in that it is basically a collection of Ebert's articles past and present. Information is often repeated in a sentence here and there.
Rae
Oct 19, 2009 Rae rated it liked it
Was hoping for a little more filler; but basically Roger Eberts reviews of all of Marty's films...
Mark
Jul 13, 2009 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: film
Basically a collection of Ebert's reviews of Scorsese's movies over the years. As such, very repetitive. Wanted to like this much more than I did.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies
  • Everything Is Cinema: The Working Life of Jean-Luc Godard
  • Cassavetes on Cassavetes
  • The Stanley Kubrick Archives
  • Rebels on the Backlot: Six Maverick Directors and How They Conquered the Hollywood Studio System
  • Ten Bad Dates with De Niro: A Book of Alternative Movie Lists
  • Who the Devil Made It: Conversations With Legendary Film Directors
  • Down and Dirty Pictures: Miramax, Sundance, and the Rise of Independent Film
  • Godard on Godard: Critical Writings
  • The Films in My Life
  • This Is Orson Welles
  • Cronenberg on Cronenberg
Roger Joseph Ebert was a Pulitzer Prize-winning American film critic and screenwriter.

He was known for his weekly review column (appearing in the Chicago Sun-Times since 1967, and later online) and for the television program Siskel & Ebert at the Movies, which he co-hosted for 23 years with Gene Siskel. After Siskel's death in 1999, he auditioned several potential replacements, ultimately choo
More about Roger Ebert...