Start by marking “The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch, #1)

The Iron Witch (The Iron Witch #1)

3.45  ·  Rating Details ·  9,022 Ratings  ·  925 Reviews
Freak. That's what her classmates call seventeen-year-old Donna Underwood. When she was seven, a horrific fey attack killed her father and drove her mother mad. Donna's own nearly fatal injuries from the assault were fixed by magic—the iron tattoos branding her hands and arms. The child of alchemists, Donna feels cursed by the magical heritage that destroyed her parents ...more
Published February 8th 2011 by Flux (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Iron Witch

Entwined by Heather DixonWither by Lauren DeStefanoUnearthly by Cynthia HandAcross the Universe by Beth RevisDarkest Mercy by Melissa Marr
Beautiful Book Covers of 2011
21st out of 720 books — 4,415 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterSilence by Becca FitzpatrickPassion by Lauren Kate
YA Novels of 2011
41st out of 1,144 books — 7,043 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Dec 04, 2013 Kim rated it did not like it
How bad is it that talking about the girl on the cover, who is holding a bottle of perfume while sniffing her armpit is more fun, and more interesting than actually reading this book? After putting up with 25% of this book I still feel like I'm looking at a brick wall so I'm throwing in the towel as well.

Come on Jared, throw it in for me, will ya?

I'm going to tell you a short story to express what I want to say about this book. Trust me, I'm going somewhere with this.

Imagine yourself on an avera
Kat Kennedy
The Iron Witch, first book in Mahoney's new Iron Witch series tells the tale and Donna, a young female witch, and her adventures - if you could really call them that.

You don't need to read this book. I can copy and paste an abbrieviated version right here.

Donna: "Oh dear, my life is miserable. I'm different and unique from the people around me because I'm a witch but it's brought me nothing but pain."
Xan: "No! MY life is miserable. I'M different and unique from the people around me because I'm *
Janina
Feb 15, 2011 Janina rated it did not like it
The Iron Witch is the epitome of a clichéd YA paranormal. There is nothing - absolutely nothing - unique and special about it. This story has been done a billion times before. And it includes everything that has made me weary when it comes to the genre: The heroine, Donna, has lost her parents due to a horrific incident in her past and has been labelled a freak ever since. She is an outsider, bullied at school by the mean popular cheerleader and her clique. She has only one close friend, whom sh ...more
Jessica

DRUM ROLLS...

And the award for Most Unoriginal Book of 2011 goes to...

THE IRON WITCH

[image error]

Seriously, was there anything new in this book? I don’t think so. We’ve got the half-orphaned, bullied, outcast heroine with magical powers, we’ve got the best friend who seems to be secretly crushing on her and we’ve got the dark, mysterious and insanely hot boy who seems to have some kind of magical powers of his own and to whom our heroine feels an instant and soul-deep connection to. *yawn* Basic
~Tina~
Hmm, what to say, what to say...
I guess I should start off by saying that I did actually like this one.
It has a great blend of magic, alchemical and paranormal. I enjoyed the characters, the writing was well done and the plot was thick with entertainment and intrigue.

However, there wasn't anything hugely unique in The Iron Witch and I felt like I've read all these elements before.
Donna's role is the 'freak'. She wears gloves to conceal her mysterious hands and has a power that's more like a curs
Isamlq
Jan 30, 2011 Isamlq rated it it was ok
“Memories are stupid things. Why is it that I can only remember the useless stuff?” Truer words have never been spoken because right now I am remembering rather stupid stuff, but not only that I’m nitpicking over them too!

The book wasn’t terrible, in fact it was rather good at certain moments, most of which involved boy-girl interaction, get your minds out of the gutter! I was referring to Donna and Nav talking the way best friends do and to Donna and Xan, flirting away.

That said, I found the
Nafiza
Sep 18, 2011 Nafiza rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
I'm tired of writing reviews in the conventional sense so I'll just write my thoughts as I read:

"Hm. Oh. Interesting."
"Hah. Strange new guy. Well then. Why am I not surprised?"
"Of course. The Indian kid next door is the best friend. What is it with these Caucasian authors having guys of different races be the best friend but never the boyfriend?"
"Ooo, fairies. Time to complicate things a bit more?"
"I guess not."
"So right, you are so worried about your best friend but you are entirely unaware tha
Kristy
Feb 15, 2011 Kristy rated it liked it
well, what can I say that hasn't already been said?!?!? Atleast it was short. I had really high hopes for this one. I liked the cover. I haven't read that many witch books. It had a lot going for it before I had even begun to read it. But, it was crap.

My number one complaint on this: The journal entries!! Oh, sweet baby jesus who writes in their journal like that?!?!? Drives me insane in the membrane. The author was using the journal entries as a way to complete/tell the story and for me, in th
Nic
Rating 2.5 stars

Meh.....This was just okay for me. The writing was okay, the plot was okay, the characters were okay (although Donna is fascinated by guys who can raise one eyebrow), the ending was okay, the romance was okay. I think you get the picture......

I think if you a new to reading young adult paranormal fiction you might love it. But to me I felt like this story has been told before. I do see some potenial in this series as the whole alchemist world is quite interesting but I don't know
Mel
One of the major problems among many others with this book is that it feels as though the premise of this book died within the first chapter, and the rest of the book was spent dragging around said corpse of premise. Why did the premise end up dead so soon? Because it really wasn't taken care of very well. It takes good plot structure to pull off a premise, and that was unfortunately not being done.

The book didn't seem so sure what to do with itself. It was as though it tried to be in more than
Caitlin
Feb 24, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was ok
So disappointing.

Those are the only words I can think of to describe this book. I'm not much of a fairy person, nor vampire or werewolf. I like my fantasy to include a realistic feeling to it. Alchemy has always been the closest to "real" I could imagine. I mean, in reality, it was the base of chemistry--before "Science" became reality. So, I was looking forward to a book that had a real alchemy base. Not a side factor. Not a alchemy is magic factor.

But there was none of that. At all. Faeries.
Isabel
Jul 17, 2011 Isabel rated it liked it
Recommended to Isabel by: Zoë Marriott
I feel really torn about what rating to give The Iron Witch. If there were half-stars on Goodreads I think that I would give it three and a half. I don't know. But I did enjoy this book, and I'm looking forward to the sequels. I really liked Navin -- he was a believable and sympathetic character -- but, I don't know, I think the romance between Xan and Donna could have been better written. I feel uncomfortable saying this because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but first of all I didn't ...more
Erica (daydreamer)
I was so anxious to read this book. The premise sounded intriguing, and I thought the cover was pretty cool (not that the cover honestly says anything about the story behind it or that I read a book based solely on the cover, although *cough cough* I kind of do :P). Then I read a couple reviews that said the book wasn’t so great, and my excitement deflated a little, but I still wanted to read it and find out what I thought about it. And, if truth be told, I was kind of disappointed.

The Iron Witc
lilly bear ♡
Mar 28, 2011 lilly bear ♡ rated it it was ok
Shelves: the-haves
How would I describe this story in one word? Underdeveloped. It had so much potential that went unrealized. I was rather intrigued by the premise (a girl whose arms have been adorned in iron tattoos as a result of powerful alchemy that saved her life. I mean, sounds kick-ass, right?), but overall the reading experience left me with a very underwhelmed feeling. Although it was well-written, it lacked a degree of freshness and new ideas that made it hard to engage in the story. I had a hard time i ...more
Khanh (the Grinch)
I expected a different setting when I read the summary for the book. I thought this would be a dystopian universe where people knew what the iron branding on her arm meant, and that's why Donna is ostracized. I was wrong, but the change in reality vs. my expectations didn't affect my enjoyment for this book.

I think the storyline is an interesting twist on the typical YA fantasy genre. The fairy element is still there, complete with the evil iron-fearing fae and insidious otherworldly creatures,
Leanne Bell
This has been on my to-read list for a while now and it struck me just how many books now have the word 'Iron' in them. Yet it's also struck me how wonderfully different they are, which goes to show that titles and covers don't tell you everything!
The Iron Witch focuses on a teenage girl called Donna Underwood who, after an horrific attack as a child in which her father was killed by the Fey, ended up with severely damaged arms which were then reconstructed using magic and metal. As if this isn'
MadameMelli
Sep 01, 2015 MadameMelli rated it did not like it
Die Geschichte klang so gut, aber die Umsetzung war größtenteils wirklich miserabel.
Ein ordentliches Lektorat und eine Agentin, die der Autorin Feuer unterm Hintern gemacht hätte, hätten der Geschichte sehr gut getan. Es gab einfach zu viele Formulierungen, die nicht allein aufgrund der Übersetzung schlecht sein konnten. Mindestens fünf mal hat sich die Geschichte bzw die Hauptprotagonistin widersprochen. Zeitebenen wurden durcheinander gebracht und Logikfehler gab es zuhauf. Auch Personen hatte
Katie(babs)
Jun 23, 2011 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
My disdain with the current state of Young Adult Paranormals has grown and lately everything I’ve read in this genre has left me disappointed. This leads me to being more critical with these books and I was afraid that would ruin my reading experience with The Iron Witch. I’m happy to say that didn’t happen, and I found The Iron Witch to be refreshing and one I enjoyed reading very much.

The Iron Witch features seventeen year old Donna Underwood, who at seven years old went through a great trauma
Rose
Mar 03, 2013 Rose rated it liked it
Karen Mahoney's "The Iron Witch" evokes conflicted sentiments within me. I probably should not have liked this book as much as I did given the familiar elements and progression, but somehow it had its moments of bringing me into the overarching story. I didn't go into this novel with high expectations, and part of the reason I decided to pick it up were because I was approved for an ARC of the third and final book of this respective trilogy. It seemed interesting, so I jumped at the chance.

Donna
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids

I love a story that introduces me to fantastic characters, has a plot that keeps me guessing, and leaves feeling satisfied, but also wanting more. The Iron Witch is a wonderful, captivating read that holds magic, romance, and danger within it's pages. It's a story that blends together fairytale and lore perfectly.

Donna Underwood is a breathe of fresh air! Her character completely drew me into her world. She's someone who I completely loved getting to know, as she's a fierce, loyal, dev
Corinne
Emilija
So. Iron Witch.

It didn't leave a lasting impression on me. I read it yesterday and already I have trouble remembering what happened. I guess it's just an entertaining enough story to pass time with, and that's pretty much it. The writing didn't have the certain depth I like or a story even should have if the goal is to make the readers feel something towards the characters.

Not gonna lie, the storyline is pretty weak. It didn't impress me at all and overall I just expected more from this. There w
A.L. Davroe
Apr 06, 2015 A.L. Davroe rated it liked it
I had really high hopes for this book because I love the fae and alchemy. It's a quick read that alternates between third person narrative and journal entries. I didn't dislike this book -- I finished it in multiple sittings and didn't feel like I wasted my life, but I came away from it with a "meh" sort of feeling.

The characters just didn't do it for me, I guess. I liked Xan (who doesn't like a hot faerie guy?), but Donna, the main character, and the other supporting characters (especially Nav
 Tina (Fantastic Book Review)
Mini Review
I love the cover of this book and the synopsis is what really made me want to get my hands on it. With high praise from and a comparison to some of my favorite authors, I had a feeling I would enjoy THE IRON WITCH immensely. This book immediately pulled me into the life of Donna as she tried to remain in the background while keeping her secrets. A secret that she’s kept from her best friend Navin until an attack blows the lid off of her hidden world.

I really liked how Donna met Xan. I
Brian Kell
Jul 21, 2010 Brian Kell rated it it was amazing
Karen Mahoney creates a wonderful, fresh story with her debut novel. The voice of Donna Underwood will resonate with all ages as she tries to discover her role in the war with the Dark-Elves. Funny, fast paced, and tender, this story unfolds in so many interesting layers. A must read for all who love a great paranormal.
Tash
May 03, 2011 Tash rated it really liked it
I like this book (almost loved). This book has some of the stuff I like. Like alchemy and faeries(!)I like the fact that even Donna is a 'freak' she has a good friend. I like Navin. I want to have best friend like him. As for Xan, I don't like him very well. Haha. This book left me hanging.
Kitten Blue
Um ... *it was okay* almost seems to be a stretch, but ... I'm just going to leave it that. I did, after all, FINISH The Iron Witch, right?! So, thank you, Ms. Mahoney, for writing a short book, because the only thing worse than a crappy book is a LONG crappy book. (Also, having bought the sequel, which - incidentally - I have, but it's short, too, and ... HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!! :P)

This book ... this book ... it's just so boring, you know?! I mean, I can understand why other people don't *get* D
Claudia garcia
Mar 08, 2011 Claudia garcia rated it did not like it
SPOILERS!!!!!!! BEWARE !!!!!well what can i really say.... i would have liked this book if it wasn't so rushed, nothing was explained in depth and i was left lacking a connection with the entire book, it should be re-written..... donna and her parents belong to a secret society of alchemist called the order of the dragons. so some reason when she was six or seven she was in the forest in this clearing, out of the darkness they get attacked by fey creatures, her father dies saving her and her ...more
BOOK BUTTERFLY
Feb 07, 2011 BOOK BUTTERFLY rated it it was ok

Sigh....I really wanted to love The Iron Witch. That cover alone is breathtaking, isn't it? In the end, I walked away from the book feeling feeling pretty unsatisfied. I've tried to break it down for you as best as I could..

HIGHLIGHTS:
Donna, the girl with the swirling iron tattoos, has lost so much. Not only did she lose her parents in a vicious attack, but she must struggle with a painful and embarrassing disfigurement. To make matters more bleak, Donna's father died protecting her dur
Vivien Keiling
Mar 08, 2013 Vivien Keiling rated it did not like it
Ok peoples, so I'm usually all gung ho about telling you allllll about the latest and greatest book I just read.
But not this time

Oh no. No no no, indeed No! This time, I'm going to share with you the most exquisiteness pain I felt reading what I'm pretty sure was one of the worst books I've read in the past year...Put nicely, it just didn't do it for me.

Now I do want to say that I find it rather intimidating/difficult to actually put out a bad review on a book, just because it's pretty amazing t
I Love Young Adul...: THE IRON WITCH giveaway! 1 14 Mar 22, 2012 08:51PM
Wild Things: YA G...: THE IRON WITCH giveaway! 1 6 Mar 22, 2012 08:50PM
Young Adult Ficti...: THE IRON WITCH giveaway! 1 17 Mar 22, 2012 08:50PM
  • A Touch Mortal (A Touch Trilogy, #1)
  • Witch Eyes (Witch Eyes, #1)
  • So Shelly
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Banished (Banished, #1)
  • The Faerie Ring (The Faerie Ring, #1)
  • Warped
  • Entangled
  • Vesper (Deviants, #1)
  • The Thirteenth Chime (Sense of Truth, #1)
  • Wake Unto Me
  • Ripple
  • The Vespertine (The Vespertine, #1)
  • Steel
  • Bitter Frost (Frost, #1)
  • Bad Taste in Boys (Kate Grable, #1)
  • Luminous
  • Intrinsical (The Yara Silva Trilogy, #1)
British writer of fantastical things.

THE IRON WITCH, THE WOOD QUEEN & THE STONE DEMON make up my YA contemporary fantasy trilogy for Flux in the US and Random House in the UK. It's about alchemy, dark elves, and a girl with magical iron tattoos. FALLING TO ASH (September 2012), began a new series for Random House UK about an ass-kicking teen vampire called Moth. You can read more of Moth's adv
More about Karen Mahoney...

The Iron Witch (3 books)
  • The Wood Queen (The Iron Witch, #2)
  • The Stone Demon (The Iron Witch, #3)

“I thought you were going to CALL me? I call this texting ;-)

The reply came back within seconds:

I find it easier to take rejection in writing...”
48 likes
“Dammit woman, stop trying to beat me. I'll sue you for domestic violence.” 43 likes