Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Do you sometimes wonder how your teen is ever going to survive on his or her own as an adult? Does your high school junior seem oblivious to the challenges that lie ahead? Does your academically successful nineteen-year-old still expect you to “just take care of” even the most basic life tasks?

Welcome to the stunted world of the Endless Adolescence. Recent studies show tha...more
Published October 20th 2009 by Ballantine Books (first published 2009)

Clare Cannon

An excellent, enlightening study which offers solutions to common teenage issues by focusing on how to draw out the 'emerging adult' in adolescents.

Some of the helpful ideas it explains:
- The new phenomenon of the 'quarter-life crisis' : life is boring, teens are waiting for something to jump out and reveal their life's purpose
- Teens often indulge in extreme behaviour because they have nothing else worthwhile to do, which leads to a downward spiral. Some of the cases described demonstrate qui...more
Ben Vogel
5 stars if what you read in here is new to you or you needed to be strongly reminded of how people used to raise children by challenging them with increasing responsibilities, trust, and inclusion to the adult world. 4 stars if you already knew this stuff but needed to be reassured that some modern researchers believe that it is more important than ever that society get back to this "old-fashioned" way of parenting. I enjoyed this book for the latter reason. I hope more people read this and enac...more
Ellen
I wish I had read this book 10 years ago...
Gwen Nicodemus
The gist of this book is that adolescence has increased in time from a few years to decades. Kids no it, and they don't like it.

Along with John Gatto, the authors posit (with research backing them up) that meaningful work can turn around even the most difficult teen.

Even "good kids" can fall into the depression that accompanies the endless adolescence, so changing parenting startegy can help.

Some important tips for parenting adolescents include the following.

--If a kid can do a task, have the k...more
Shawna
The thing I liked most about this book is that it doesn't cast teenagers in the role of helpless victim. Instead, it views their energy, motivation by rewards, and underestimating of risks as unique tools that help them move into the adult world if they are given the right growth opportunities.

A lot of the advice mirrors the advice I got from a mom who has raised several successful teenagers of her own. "Let them practice making real decisions in small situations so they aren't overwhelmed when...more
Karin
Very interesting non-fiction. It gave me a lot to think about. Great read for anyone with teenagers or soon to be teenagers.
Hilary
A subject I am fascinated by: how to help teenagers grow into responsible, independent adults! Loved it.
Liz
Interesting and thought provoking. Teens are not driven by hormones but flounder due to lack of adult interaction, reference, and the chance to grow up. It's time to give your teens the responsibility to learn and live by mistakes they make, with guidance but not total control. Although American in its viewpoint, there is a lot of careful insight and case studies that also ring true in Europe. A must read for all parents with kids in their teens and a book that all educators should know by heart...more
Qwerty
The main premise of this book is that adolescence is essentially "Lord of the Flies." Thus, to become adults adolescents need to be socialized by adults and not by other adolescents. The author mainly recommends treating adolescents like adults and exposing them to adult responsibilities, e.g., chores, volunteer work, jobs. While I agree with this message, I don't think that the book really broke any new ground.
Tessa
Escaping the Endless Adolescence offered some interested takes on being a modern teen. While I enjoyed the general theme "Teens are capable of a lot more than society thinks and should be pushed into adulthood with (loving) help and support," the actual supporting arguements were repetitive and relatively limited on detail.
Catherine
This nonfiction book discusses how we are creating an endless adolescence for our teenagers by refusing to give them adult responsibilities. It definitely explained a phenomenon going on in our culture today with many parents. Good read, at times a bit monotonous, but I really got the message.
Auntie Soni
Interesting thoughts. I am starting by having my teenagers take over their laundry, and letting them feel capable in other areas as well. As my sister Annette told me, "we all need to feel important and that we contribute." She is so smart.
Susan Williams
I found this to be one of the best guides to parenting teenagers I've read in awhile. It's not preachy but provides insight and a course of action to help parents guide their teens from immaturity to maturity.

I must read for parents of teens!
John
Do we see irresponsible behavior among teenagers and adults because their brains are not yet fully developed? The problem, the authors say, is not nature, but nurture -- or lack of appropriate expectations.
Audra
Has affected my parenting, and reinforced my belief in homeschooling. Persuasive, well-documented, and common sense parenting with plenty of interesting history lessons to boot. Highly recommend.
Ivy
I thought that this book had some really valuable points for parents of teenagers to think about. I don't generally enjoy this type of book, but found it to be well written and informative.
Andrea
I was assigned to read this book for my job. The problem with this book is that it is for parents to read, there is not much I can do with this book in my classroom outside of what I already do.
Lisa
The segment (chapter nine) on making high school more meaningful was worth the price of the book. Sure, I borrowed the book from the library...but still.
Anne
I love, love, love this book on the power and potential of teenagers when we expect it of them. Can't wait to finish it.
Sheri Lee
Very helpful information for parents of teens who want them to grow up!
Sara
Super interesting trends of elongating adolescence with interesting research.
Morgana
Not a big fan of the writing style, but appreciate the sentiments.
Renee
Sound, practical advice for a very trying season!
Yolien
Yolien marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Angelene
Angelene marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014