Start by marking “The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Battle Sylph (Sylph, #1)

The Battle Sylph (Sylph #1)

3.67  ·  Rating Details ·  2,385 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
He is one of many: a creature of magic, unrelentingly male. He is lured through the portal by pure female beauty, a virgin sacrifice. She is killed, and he is silenced and enslaved.

Such a dark ritual is necessary. Unlike their elemental cousins—those gentler sylphs of wind and fire—battlers find no joy in everyday labor. Their magic can destroy an army or demolish a castle
Published March 1st 2010 by Leisure Books (first published February 19th 2010)

Laura the Highland Hussy
Apr 23, 2010 Laura the Highland Hussy rated it it was amazing

I have had this book for months and months and I kept pushing it back because if you read the back of the book, it doesn't sound amazing.

So that being said, all my friends have loved this book. Not liked, but loved and I just didn't get it. 2 chapters in and I wasn't hooked.
But then I passed into chapter 3 and I was snared.
There is so much I want to say about this book, so be prepared for spoilers, and me talking a lot :)

The world building was extensive and easy to follow, I wasn't con
Zeek
Mar 03, 2010 Zeek rated it liked it
In the world McDonald created, warrior Slyphs (creatures similar to faeries I believe) called Battle Sylphs, are enslaved by brutal trickery, tying them to men of the upper ruling classes. When the King decides it’s time for his weakling of a son to have a battle sylph of his own, something goes awry during the ceremony binding the creature to a helpless female instead.

Solie has no idea the turmoil she’s created by just surviving- all she knows is that something has irrevocably connected her to
Ronda  Tutt
WOW! EXCELENT READ! POWERFUL! LUSTILY HOT! HYSTERICALLY FUNNY!

So full of action and excitement that you find this fast page turning book read before you know time has slipped away, excellent writing, I absolutely loved it.

In this crazy world full of Kings and peasants, Solie is running away from her father whom has arranged a marriage with an old man she has no wish to marry. The king needs a virgin sacrifice for his son to acquire a battle sylph and Solie just happens to be in the wrong place a
Bookwatcher
Jul 19, 2010 Bookwatcher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!
Recommended to Bookwatcher by: Ronda Tutt
Just finished this book, and I love it! Deserve 5 stars, and if I could I would give more! Fantastic!

So, I'll do something different, and answer imaginary questions about this book (probably the questions you would ask me)

What can you tell me about the Story?
I can tell little about the story, or will ruin the surprise. What I can say is that Sylph are ethereal creatures slaved by humans. There are a variety of kinds. Air, water, earth, healer, fire.. all Sylphs bonded to human to obey they order
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
A Badass Hidden Gem...

Even before I finished reading this book, I ordered the next one. I hated this book to end, it was that good. I was completely caught up in the world created by the author. Not only did McDonald create an impressive setting for the book but also created not one or two great characters, but numerous interesting secondary characters.

Usually when an author bounces from character to character in a book, it annoys me and it disrupts the f
Ryn
Feb 23, 2011 Ryn rated it it was ok
Oh, this could have been so good. OOH! It makes me so mad...

First of all, props to the author, because she really had a good idea. It was a sweet blend of romance and fantasy that was soooo close to being a hit for me. What brought it down to a two-star rating? Her writing.

L.J. McDonald's bio says she's been writing since she was 15. Her writing style and grace suggest that she must be almost 16 now.

It was corny, but that I could forgive; it happens with romance novels. But the total childishn
❀angela
Jan 02, 2013 ❀angela rated it it was amazing
I think this story was inspired by bees. The word "hive" is thrown around a lot. The drones battler sylphs protect the queen and the colony Community.

Anyway, I liked Solie. I don't understand why people are calling her "dim" or "silly". She was able to bind herself to a battler. She didn't let other people make choices for her. She learned how to be a leader. She's a little naive, yes—she was raised as a simple farm girl, remember?
AH
Dec 24, 2010 AH rated it liked it
Recommended to AH by: Laura Highland Hussy
3.5 stars.
What an interesting and unique world!

Sylphs are beings that are based on the earthly elements: air, wind, fire, and earth. These beings are bound to humans and serve them in various capacities. Most of the sylphs are female, but the rarest ones, the Battle Sylphs are male.

In this world, only males are deemed strong enough to control a Battle Sylph. Battle Sylphs are evil, ferocious creatures that emit hate. In order to summon a Battle Sylph, a ceremony was held and a virgin woman (why
Cindy
Aug 04, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
Excellent fantasy read with an action plot. The lead characters - Heyou [the battle sylph:] and Solie [a farm girl:] - meet up because she is kidnapped to be the virgin sacrifice to 'catch' a battler sylph. She defends herself from the Crown Prince's attempt to kill her giving the battle sylph time to come through the dimensional gate and rescue her; killing all present [including the prince:]. She inadvertently names him by calling out 'hey, you'. He is enchanted by his new queen and carries he ...more
Lynn Spencer
May 31, 2015 Lynn Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
B+ at AAR, so 4.5 stars I reread this one over the weekend. Upon re-read, this one still works for me. I reviewed it back in 2010, and here is what I had to say:

Every now and then I read a book that I adore, but that I find difficult to describe without spoiling it for others. The Battle Sylph is just such a book. The plotting is good and the world created here rather intricate, but everything reveals itself in layers and the journey is part of the fun.

In Eferem, the upper classes of humans have
SheLove2Read
Dec 15, 2010 SheLove2Read rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
There are so many in-depth reviews about the FANTASTIC book, I'm just going to tell you what I loved:

Everything.

No, seriously. This is an incredibly written, suck you in from page 1, highly addictive story that makes you wonder what kind of crack Ms McDonald was on when she wrote it and where can I get some for myself!

LOVE love love the main hero and heroine Solie and Heyou. The way he fought for her and nearly died for her...that's hard to beat. The way all the Sylph males revere females....m
Katie Michaels
Aug 14, 2011 Katie Michaels rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs, fantasy, sylphs
Imagine a world filled with elemental beings, subjugated to human masters. These beings are called sylphs. Each female sylph has a special gift: power over healing, water, air, fire or water. The males are warriors... battle sylphs. Humans can open a portal to the sylph world and if the sylph sees someone worthy of being a master, they'll cross over. But the battle sylphs are being tricked. They see lovely young women in the portal... but when each battler crosses over, the humans kill the femal ...more
Ren
4 stars

The Battle Sylph is the first book in Sylph series by L.J.McDonald who is a new author to me. This book had been on my radar for a long time due to raving reviews from my GR friends. Michelle called this a hidden gem and after finish the book, well, I agree with her. The Battle Sylph have some traditional PNR element such as alpha male and inexperience (also virgin, oh how I detest this kind) female. Yet, the story feel fresh, original and captivating. I know why my GR friends love this o
Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell
Aug 23, 2011 Wendy *Sebella Blue* Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Wendy *Sebella Blue* by: Requested review
Running away from an arranged marriage to a fat, old man, Solie is captured by King Alcor's soldiers. She is to be used as bait to lure a prized battle sylph through the portal for the king's only son. Instead of being a sacrifice, Solie winds up being bound to the young battler, because she was the first to name him. When he first heard his name called, "Heyou" knew he was gazing upon his queen, and he would defend her to his death. After leaving the chamber in ruins, and killing Solie's attack ...more
Deborah
Jul 08, 2012 Deborah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, series, romance
Oooooh Ooooooooooh what utter rubbish! I know, I know, what did I expect, right?
Reading the description on Goodreads and seeing all these good reviews, I thought it would be more epic … There where just too many thinks I didn’t like and couldn’t tolerate! Heyou and Solie – the MAIN CHARACTERS , didn’t have enough face time. It WAS their story right Miss McDonald??

I found Ral to be quite more fascinating, there is a big story there , real feelings! But H. and S. where just two stupid love-struck
Melindeeloo
Feb 25, 2010 Melindeeloo rated it liked it
Battle Slyph starts off a new fantasy series in a world where magical elementals are lured from an alternate dimension and then bound to a master and forced to do their bidding. Trouble, adventure and love, well at least lust, occurs when the binding of the most powerful of all the Sylphs goes wrong.

I have to admit that I bought Battle Sylph because of the cover. And from the cover (picture, back blurb, and recs from authors) I thought that this was going to be a steamy fantasy romance. The Bat
Vanessa theJeepDiva
Sep 22, 2010 Vanessa theJeepDiva rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010, fantasy
This is an incredible book with a uniquely different line of characters & beings in a setting that is in an alternate type world. The book starts off heavily as a fantasy adventure. Over all there is a very small amount of romance. The romance that is present is very consuming. Heyou CANNOT keep his hands off of Solie. His loving worship of her keeps you smiling. This is the first book in the series so the world and character development takes precedence. The characters are wonderful. The wo ...more
Jess the Romanceaholic
This has got to be, hands down, my absolute FAVORITE fantasy romance series that I've read so far.

The worldbuilding is simply breathtaking -- L.J. McDonald manages to breathe such life and vitality into this world without bogging the reader down with superfluous details.

There is definitely a romance aspect, though it's not too high on the steamy end. Plenty of fighting and epic battles abound, however, and it's hard to even notice that the lovemaking is kind of tame ;)

I would urge both paranorma
BooksandtheirWorld
Also ich muss sagen, das Buch war besser als ich gedachte habe. Trotzdem gibt es "nur" 3,5 Sterne.
Mir haben an manchen Stellen einfach, ein paar spannendere Elemente gefehlt.
Beim Ende war ich auch etwas zwiegespalten, soll ich es gut finden, oder nicht? Ich bin mir immer noch nicht sicher, tendiere aber zu gut, auch wenn mir definitiv etwas gefehlt hat.
Was mich aber stört, ist das es im 2 Teil nun um andere Protagonisten geht und im 3 Teil geht es dann wieder um diese aus dem 1 Teil.
Sowas mag
Ann Aguirre
Nov 15, 2010 Ann Aguirre rated it it was amazing
This book was ridiculously awesome. It's a fast read but a wholly gripping one. It made my time in the DFW airport fly by, and I'm normally super wriggly on planes, but this book consumed my attention completely, so I didn't even notice how long I was up in the air. If you want to know what it's about, read a synopsis.

Fab characterization, so different, interesting world, and keyed into a woman's psyche. I'd characterize this as romantic fantasy for women and unlike anything I've ever read. Sooo
Grace
Nov 16, 2016 Grace added it
Shelves: romance, fantasy, dnf, series
The synopsis of this story looked interesting, despite the cover. The first chapter also was quite good and had me thinking it might not too corny a romance. Soon, however, it started reading like fanfic, or YA. Just really simple, dumbed down writing, descriptions used to hit you over the head. Also, because it read so much like YA, I was kind of shocked when it got graphic so quickly. And so needlessly.
Teresa
Feb 27, 2010 Teresa rated it it was amazing
OMG this book was fabulous! A very different story than my usual vampires, witches, werewolves, etc that I read. I loved the concept of the Battlers and enjoyed the story thoroughly. The characters were interesting and I liked how it followed most of them, rather than a 1st person story. :-) Definitely recommend it and I'm looking forward to the next one out tomorrow!
Frankly Frankie
Oct 05, 2016 Frankly Frankie rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
So this book is an odd mix of YA fantasy with smut. The main protags are teenager-ish but they aren't the ones having sex...at least not yet but they are naked alot. Not here for it. Bleh bleh bleh.
Elena
Oct 25, 2015 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wieder mal was anderes. fand ich gut. jetzt direkt das zweite lesen
Tracy
Aug 13, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, netgalley, arc
Yanked Me In And Didn't Let Go
It was late the night a young farm girl named Solie slipped away from her family farmstead in the kingdom of Eferem to avoid her father's insistence on an arraigned marriage. The innocent seventeen-year-old ran towards her aunt, the one woman she knew who may understand her plight and assist her in getting away. Solie didn't make it. Before she even got close, she was kidnapped by the king's men, bound and carted off to castle. Her arrival was witnessed by an air sy
Has
Feb 12, 2010 Has rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to win an ARC of The Battle Sylph on Twitter. And I thank the book fairy goddess for gracing me with the luck of having an early chance to read this.

This is the start of a new fantasy romantic series by début author, L. J. McDonald. The world-building and setting is similar to that of Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials trilogy, and the epic feel and tone of C. L. Wilson’s Tairen Soul series.

In the land of Eferem, the King and powerful Lords enslave and use elemental beings c
Karissa
Dec 29, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it
This the first book in the Sylph series by McDonald. The second book is Shattered Sylph and the third book, Queen of the Sylphs, releases on September 23rd. I got an egalley of this book to review through Netgalley(dot)com. It was an excellent book. I was worried that based on the beginning it would be too much of a romance; but was surprised at what a great world McDonald created and at how far-reaching the plot ended up being.

Solie is an independent woman in a nation where females are treated
Story_girl
A prime example of how random surfing on goodreads can sometimes lead to uncovering hidden gems. The concept and world building in this book is fresh and fantastic. This book is especially for fantasy-romance lovers out there such as myself. And the books only keep getting better and better as the series progresses.
Lorena
The book started out quite interesting, the heroine Solie is kidnapped by the king's soldiers and is to be used as a sacrifice. Instead of letting the asshole prince kill her so that he can enslave a battle sylph - male sylphs who basically love ALL women and hate ALL men - to his service, she fights him and instead binds the battle sylph to her and naming him Heyou (the imaginative name shows her great mind at work). Okay beginning, but it just went downhill from there. Solie is taken away from ...more
Becky
Despite the cheesy-sounding description of this book ("He is one of many: a creature of magic, unrelentingly male."), it's actually more fantasy than romance. The world-building here is very strong, and is hands-down the best part of the novel.

The author clearly put a lot of thought into the world the sylphs come from, and the complicated dynamic between the battle sylphs and their masters was fascinating. Unfortunately, the characters are otherwise pretty wooden and one-dimensional, which brou
My Vampire Book O...: Slyph Series......SPOILER ZONE 31 13 Feb 12, 2017 10:59AM
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • A Midwinter Fantasy (Strangely Beautiful, #2.5) (Sylph, #2.5) (The Magic Knot, #3)
  • Ninja
  • Heart of the Witch
  • Altered Destiny
  • King of the Unblessed (Realm Immortal, #1)
  • Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • The Hunt
  • Lucan (Pendragon Legacy #1)
  • Rejar (Matrix of Destiny, #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Immortally Yours (Monster M*A*S*H, #1)
  • Beneath the Thirteen Moons
  • Shadow Bound (Shadow, #1)
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
I first started writing in 1986, when my grade ten English teacher read some of my poetry and said that I had talent. I was so floored at the concept that I started writing short stories. My parents weren't quite so thrilled that I was doing something that took my away from my schoolwork, so I arranged to write a novel for two school credits, thereby turning writing into homework. Those two credi ...more
More about L.J. McDonald...

Sylph (6 books)
  • The Shattered Sylph (Sylph, #2)
  • Queen of the Sylphs (Sylph, #3)
  • The Sylph Hunter (Sylph, #4)
  • War of the Sylphs (Sylph, #5)
  • Door to the Sylphs (Sylph, #6)

“He'd never admit it to these fools, but he hadn't been able to get it up for years.” 0 likes