Start by marking “Doing Good” as Want to Read:
Doing Good

Doing Good

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Growing up as a nobody, Jane Lofton figured out blond ambition is a girl's best friend. She's so busy shopping for clothes and bragging about her real estate sales she doesn't notice her rich husband is having affairs or that she talks to her daughter through a therapist. Then a near-fatal accident with an 18-wheeler forces Jane to make changes, but she can't help but wond ...more
Published March 1st 2002 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Doing Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doing Good

Antof9
Notes from BookCrossing:
I'm about halfway through, but wanted to make note of two things I thought when I first started the book (before I forget):
1. "If anyone had asked that morning how my life was going, I would have told them I was doing good."

Can I just say, "AAAUUUUUGHHH!"? At the halfway point, I'm ok with it, but that almost made me put the book down.

2. At first, I thought it was going to be another Hot Flash Club, that is, chick lit for menopausal women, and I was surprised that [the fr
Bree
This was a really good book. I was hesitate and had thrown the book into my garage sale bin. I had recieved the book without knowing anything about the author or the plot but determined to get rid of it anyway. I'm very happy that I decided to give it a second glance. I am tired of the fluffy chick lit where each story seems vaguely familiar and cliched. This book has a wonderful storyline, some interesting ideas on fate/God but not religious in the least. It was not a rushed book and maybe some ...more
Julie Suzanne
was surprised to find this in my mailbox, sent by my step-dad, because I had no warning and I hadn't pegged him as a reader. When I confirmed receipt of the package, my mother reminded me that this is a book she read a while ago and really enjoyed. Apparently she had convinced her husband to read it as well. Turns out he loves the book and has purchased copies for friends and family. So, even though I can tell this isn't "high literature" and certainly wouldn't appeal to me in a bookstore, I'll ...more
Mya
Written in 2005:
"Doing Good, by Pamela Morsi, uses a pretty standard plot - successful woman is in car accident, thinks she's going to die, makes bargain with god that if she survives she'll do good. But I like the direction Morsi takes it, so that we watch the protagonist struggle with her definitions of what's "good." Sure, it's cliche that what's inside you being what counts more than what's around you, but it's a message that bears repeating.

In addition the book emphasizes that one can choo
Elizabeth
Jane is leading a "shallow" life until she is in a car accident and bargains with God to save her by promising to "do good". Jane's "conversion" makes for a great story. In particular, she begins a strong relationship with Chester, an elderly gentleman who rescued her from the car during the accident. During the course of the story, she finds that she is not alone in experiencing the desperate need to "do good" and "make things right" after coming to a traumatic/dramatic crossroads in one's life ...more
Abhilasha
This book i just picked up on the run but it has turned out to be a good one. It's about a high socialite woman, married to a rich man, and living a plastic and show -off life. When she meets a near death accident, she promises to do good shoule she survive that accident. And she does. And this is how the journey begins of her doing good and transforming into a completely different person, not so rich but happy and satisfied. How those little good things changes other's as well as her life for g ...more
Lena Chilari
Grow as a nobody
Curtis
This is one of my very favorite books. Totally and unexpectely bright, like a peek above the couds. Through the story, Morsi explores different "levels" of good deeds. From simplistic acts, like writing checks to charities, to more sublime and even mystical acts of unconditional love. This book soars far above the self-absorbtion usually found in the romance aisle of a typical used book store. A must read, and re-read, again and again.
Virginia
I read some of the other reviews of this book and all I'm going to say is it's better than they make it out "chick lit for menopausal women". I hope she remembers saying that someday and cringes.
I liked the main character, I liked the story. It's not high brow but it was interesting, maybe a little over the top at times but we are talking chick lit not Aristotle.
Nutz
I didn't have high hopes for this book based on the back cover.

I loved it. It was a book that makes you think about why things happen the way they do and the impact on your life. We don't have all the control and maybe that's not a bad thing.

It turned out to be an excellent book. I read it in a day and a half.
Maura
Woman has near death experience and examines her life on a new level. The story was uneven but there were some scenes that really affected me. This book doesn't have romance but it made me think. I liked the antique store idea and the overall theme of growth and redemption.
Marg
It was a "change-of-pace" book for me. I thought the concept of 'doing good' because of some personal crisis might be trite and fabricated. However, I did enjoy the story and was glad to have read it. Great literature? no - A pleasant, positive read? yes.
Patricia
I enjoyed watching the evolution of a person striving to be better, to "do good". Jane was, to me, "everywoman," or every person, learning, growing, succeeding, even failing, but persevering, and that's what made this book so wonderful to me.
Tamra
Really liked this story about a woman whose life is spinning out of control. After a brush with death, she promises to "do good" and finds that is both harder and easier than she ever thought possible.
Bark's Book Nonsense
Updating my "read" books. I reviewed this for All About Romance years ago. The review is archived HERE
Nancy Hollmaier
Story has a slow beginning with a "whoa is me" plot. The book ends with a happy end for mother and daughter. Not one of the authors best. I would not recommend this book.
Lori
This wasn't what I thought it was going to be...just another no brainer to kill some time in between the heavier stuff. Actually kind of liked it.
Clare Cannon
Jul 04, 2012 Clare Cannon marked it as probably-not
Sounded good until the 'dissolution of her marriage and finding love in the arms of an old school chum'
Michelle Robinson
This was cute and was also a really fun read. I enjoyed this book a great deal.
Mikala1980
liked it. kind of predictable but it was a cute fun read.
Jean
"Helping, without permission, is intrusion."
Wendy
Adorable book. Fun, fun read.
Trisha Hill
Trisha Hill marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Linda Dodge
Linda Dodge marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
CeeDragon
CeeDragon marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Nov 14, 2014
Nellie
Nellie marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
  • Skinny Dipping
  • First Born
  • So This Is Christmas (Includes: The Protectors, #19)
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • Through My Eyes
  • Absolutely Captivated (Fates #5)
  • One Night
  • Straight from the Heart (Loveswept, No 351)
  • Truly
  • Snow Angels
  • A Heart Speaks
  • Sweet Rains: Second Nature / Lessons Learned
  • The Red Hat Club Rides Again
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • The Mailbox
  • The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)
  • Spin Cycle
Pamela Morsi is a USA Today, Waldenbooks, and Barnes & Noble bestselling author of romance. She broke into publishing in 1991 with Heaven Sent and has been gracing readers with at least a book a year ever since. Two of her novels, Courting Miss Hattie (1992) and Something Shady (1996), won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award, the highest honor in romance publishing, and others have bee ...more
More about Pamela Morsi...
Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2) Courting Miss Hattie Bitsy's Bait & BBQ Love Overdue The Cotton Queen