What to Expect When You're Expected: A Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  161 ratings  ·  30 reviews
This new second edition is filled with the latest, most accurate wombhood information, including comforting answers to hundreds of questions, such as

•“My mother just took a sip of white wine. Am I going to end up looking like some Chernobyl baby now?”
• “So far Mommy is spending most of her pregnancy in a state of stress, anxiety, and depression. Which one should she focus...more
Published October 13th 2009 by Spiegel & Grau (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about What to Expect When You're Expected, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What to Expect When You're Expected

Amy
Oct 26, 2009 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amy by: Damon
I selected "read" because I've read all I plan to read. The idea was somewhat clever -- pregnancy and birth from the perspective of the fetus. The problem was that the idea got old by the second section of the book (not the second chapter, the second section within the first chapter).

Damon bought it at the airport. He thinks the book is hilarious.
Alise
I really expected this book to knock my socks off. Fetus's Guide to the First Three Trimesters? Written by one of the writers for The Daily Show? Co-author of America: The Book? This was going to be a total win.

Meh.

Don't get me wrong, this book has some seriously funny stuff in it. David Javerbaum has some moments of sheer genius. I mean, he DOES write for The Daily Show, after all, and of course I love that.

But this book is really profane. I'm not one who minds profanity in what I read, but I...more
Debra Kaitschuck
I was going back and forth between two and three stars for this one. I "like" a lot of the books I read, but don't feel compelled to read them again (which is when I would give something 4 or 5 stars), and I decided I liked this book at least a little less than most other books I read, which is why I gave it two stars. If there had been less liberal use of the f word to describe sexual intercourse and other profanities strewn throughout the book, I may have rated it higher. I just don't feel all...more
John
I bought this book because I saw the author on The Daily Show, and, well, we are expecting, so it seemed to make sense. David Javerbaum was absolutely hysterical on TV so I figured the book would be equally funny.

I found the book to be generally enjoyable, but I'm not sure where it fits. I've already read "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and the book does follow a very similar structure - taking you through each month, listing the changes that the fetus goes through and some other points...more
James Swenson
Caution: this is a parody of the more familiar guide for parents-to-be. And it is very, very funny (if you have some tolerance for profanity, and aren't taking the whole birth thing too seriously).
Mary
Hilarious, profane, and brutally honest. Forget "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and all the other paranoia-inducing books that cover pregnancy that are out there; you need a book that will have you laughing your ass off from start to finish when you're about to face motherhood. I'd recommend this to fathers-to-be and even people who either aren't having kids yet, or those who have already had them.
Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
After all the seriousness of "real" pregnancy books, this one is good for a laugh. It reads a lot like the Daily Show books ("America" and "Earth"), no surprise given the author. There were several parts that had me laughing out loud. I recommend it as a reprieve from all the week-by-week and what-to-expect stuff that you end up reading during pregnancy!
Abigail Kennedy
This is such a hilarious book! I hardly EVER laugh out loud when reading and I was doing that almost all the time with this one. Even if you're not pregnant, nor have ever been, it's a great read! Although, I think you'd get more out of it if you have gone through a pregnancy once before reading;-)
Kevin
This is a parody of What To Expect When You're Expecting. It's supposed to be a humorous look at pregnancy from the baby's perspective. The only problem was... it wasn't that humorous. Sometimes, I chuckled, but that's about it.
Ubalstecha
HILLARIOUS!!!! This guide from one of the writers of Daily Show takes a fetus through all three semesters of pregnancy, with jabs at Moms and Dads, not to mention the whole baby industry. Get this for the woman who is expecting.
Max Saltonstall
As a way to take the edge off the craziness and anxiety of all the rest of the pregnancy books, this batch of humor helped lighten the mood and make us laugh about the whole thing a bit more.
Thanks Tyler!
Rebekah
I had high hopes for this book after reading the forward (I swear I was rolling on the floor laughing) but the rest of the book wasn't nearly as funny- had its moments but over all was a dud.
Heather
Supposed to be a parody of WTEWYE. I expected it to be funnier, but once you've read one pregnancy joke, you've pretty much read them all. Not that great at all. I just skimmed it.
Kent Anderson
Very funny, ranging from the NSFW-humor to the silly. Great for parents or parents-to-be who like humor from "The Daily Show" or "Colbert Report" or the like.
Camille
Probably more like 2.5 stars. It was funny but just like, "oh that's funny" rather than laughing out loud so much your husband makes you go into another room.
Jimmie
This book is absolutely hysterical and worth checking out if you happen to know anyone who is pregnant. So funny.
Kyle Martin
Funny, but the gag gets a little tired and forced at times. Not bad to flip through while on the john.
Mel
I was bored by the end of the first chapter. It may just be me - I never enjoy crude parody.
Becky Lee
Absolutely hilarious and refreshing after 100 other boring pregnancy books.
Michael
Really, really funny, and spot-on in its parody. Thanks, Emily.
Pete Hopkins
Hilarious, spot-on parody of What to Expect when You're Expecting.
Margaret
Very entertaining and way less scary than other pregnancy books.
Seth
Clever concept---decent, but not great, execution.
Brianne
It was funny but pretty raunchy.
Jill Burgess
great toilet read!!!
Nicole
Funny and informational
Ed
Hilarious! Enough said.
Erin
This book is very funny.
Jerry Stoecklein

Amusing and clever.
Anna
So funny. Loved it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
491957
David Javerbaum (born David J. Javerbaum) is an American comedy writer, lyricist and librettist. Javerbaum was a former head writer and executive producer of The Daily Show with Jon Stewart. His work for the program won 11 Emmy Awards, a Grammy Award, two Peabody Awards and Television Critics Association Awards for both Best Comedy and Best News Show.

Some of his wellknown works are What to Expect...more
More about David Javerbaum...
The Last Testament: A Memoir by God OMG: How I created the Universe, Adam, and Steve The Book of Bieb The Last Testament 2013 Day-to-Day Calendar: A Memoir by GOD Earth (The Book): A Visitor's Guide to the Human Race