Start by marking “¡Obámanos!: The Birth of a New Political Era” as Want to Read:
¡Obámanos!: The Birth of a New Political Era

¡Obámanos!: The Birth of a New Political Era

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The most critical election in living memory, viewed in real time through the eyes of one of our most trusted political commentators.

Celebrated political analyst for The New Yorker Hendrik Hertzberg watches the long presidential campaign of 2007 and 2008 as it unfolds to reveal the transformation of the Democratic Party, the meteoric rise of Barack Obama, and other seismic
Published October 29th 2009 by Penguin Press HC, The (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about ¡Obámanos!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ¡Obámanos!

John Watson
I couldn't even read past the introduction. The amount of liberal ideology that is spouted from this "book" is enough to have even the most liberal moderate in a dry heaving fit. The poor writing didn't help at all either.
Michael
Although this was a good book and I enjoyed reading it, I am not sure I would recommend purchasing it to others. Mr. Hertzberg has essentially compiled already published essays he wrote between 2004 and 2008 and packaged them in book form. If someone is interested in reading Mr. Hertzberg's writing (which is excellent) from this time period, I suggest searching the Internet or locating the printed version of his writing in a library in lieu of buying a book with the same material in it.
Sam
Feb 16, 2013 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
It's thoroughly enjoyable to retrieve Hertzberg's Comments from the archives of the New Yorker. His portrait of Bush's departure and the rise of Barack Obama consistently delivers something more than "knee-jerk liberal" commentary on the nature of our times.
Brenda
Kayso, I trained as a political scientist in the 70's. Much has changed, as these essays point out, but much remains the same. Can only hope that the politics of hope win out over the politics of greed and unregulated power. Obama lights the way...all should follow.
Michael
Kind of hit or miss for the first 1/3 or so of the book but the essays about the period when the election was down to just 3 or 4 candidates were very entertaining and insightful. I quite enjoyed most of it.
Merilee
Excellent set of essays of the run up to the 2008 election by the terrific NYer writer, Hertberg.

Audio reader, Dick Hill, a bit annoying
Eric De Feo
would've been more interesting to read during 2008. still a hertzberg fan--definitely suggest his Politics book
Chris Freud
A great reminder of of Hertzberg's talent. Quite prescient.
Fatima
Nov 13, 2009 Fatima marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
11/9/09 on Wash Post
Aleschia
Aleschia marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Melanie Wiggins
Melanie Wiggins marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Dylan Kosloff
Dylan Kosloff is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Andrea Joshua
Andrea Joshua marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Bibliophile
Bibliophile marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Mackinnon
Mackinnon marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2013
Anand Vipani
Anand Vipani marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Greg
Greg added it
May 26, 2013
Savannah Williams
Savannah Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2013
S. Oberhansley
S. Oberhansley marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2012
Hannah Murray
Hannah Murray marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Politics: Observations and Arguments, 1966-2004 One Million Planen 3-411-03223-5 Amer Pres: Jimmy Carter Eggs, Cookies, and Leeches: Memorable Writing from The New Yorker