Start by marking “By Summer's End” as Want to Read:
By Summer's End

By Summer's End

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Forced to move in with her in-laws after a bout with cancer, Dawn Leland, a young widowed mother of two little girls, unexpectedly finds a place to call home. Original.
Published February 1st 2005 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about By Summer's End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Summer's End

kim
I wasn’t expecting much from this one. I picked it up on the last day of our library book fair last year when paperback romances were 5/$1. I had picked out four books, so I figured this was ‘free’ since I had to pick a 5th one. It didn’t matter if I didn’t finish it. But I was really surprised! It was very good!
Dawn is the mother of 2 teenage girls, Sierra and Dakota. She was widowed just before Dakota was born. And Dawn has a bit of a quirk; she only dates guys named ‘Sonny’, which was her hus
Caroline
Mar 30, 2015 Caroline rated it liked it
Pamela Morsi is one of my all-time favourite authors, but this book was definitely not one of my favourites. I must confess the parallel story line threw me, and I did not realize it was related to the chaos theory until I read the reviews here on Goodreads and saw it being discussed. The ending was a bit disappointing, as well.
Andreasoldier
Jun 25, 2013 Andreasoldier rated it liked it
It sounds far-fetched but actually works: This is novel is narrated by a 13-year-old girl fascinated by the chaos theory; how everything happens, and no matter how chaotic, creates a pattern. The book is written in two parts, real life vs. Sonny Days.
The narrator's dad died before she was born. Now she, her older sister and mom are back in Knoxville living with her dad's parents because her mom has cancer.
Real life chapters are that;about real life.
Sonny Days are chapters written as if one littl
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
Maybe I'm slow, but I didn't figure out that it was two parallel stories until midway through, which really confused me. Woman with two kids goes to live with deceased husband's parents when she gets sick.
Kira
Feb 09, 2016 Kira added it
Wrenching. Beautiful. Insightful. Chaos theory meets life lessons. Yes, there is order in the universe, even if we can't see it but from an eternal perspective.
Karen L Portch
What?

I really enjoyed reading this as I tried to figure out the end. Still confused.
Two different stories and only one has an ending?
Chanpreet
Feb 03, 2012 Chanpreet rated it it was amazing
Pamela Morsi is an amazing writer. Her historical romances are sweet and off the normal path. They aren't bodice rippers and really believable. But her contemporary books are even better, and coming from a major historical fan, that's saying a lot. Her topics are always endearing and I never fail to tear up in public and cry if I'm alone. This book deals with so many topics and issues I don't know where to start. It's not too heavy, but I'd recommend reading it when you have got some quiet time ...more
Lori
Aug 04, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult
Very good story line. It kept me interested all the way through. The only thing confusing was the double story line. It's like there were 2 different story lines of Sonny's life going on at the same time. It guess it puts into action the theory that they are talking about in the book ... one little thing can change your life drastically. And, these 2 story lines are they 2 outcomes that could have happened to the family. Interesting to think about!
Lori
Sep 26, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This is a story of a woman who finds herself struggling with cancer while raising her two daughters. A family divide between her and her in-laws have kept her away from them for more than a decade. But, in order to raise her daughters while getting treatment, she opts to move back to her in-laws house. This time with their grandparents shows both girls how they ended up in the place they are in. The book is filled with hope and family.

Brenda
Dec 03, 2011 Brenda rated it it was amazing
This is a great book. I didn't get where the flashbacks were going until a discussion on fractals between the grandfather and the granddaughter. Possible a spoiler, so don't read further unless you are willing to risk it: I thought it was some mystery that the older characters were covering up, as I assume the author intended, until after the fractal discussion, then I caught on. Very good book and highly recommended.
Tamra
Jul 03, 2011 Tamra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2011
Loved this story of forgiveness and second chances. I am a big fan of Pamela Morsi. I love the way she writes about the interaction in families in a very realistic, but sweet, manner. This is both the story of a single mother with two girls who is forced to ask her unforgiving former in-laws for help, and the love story (told in flashbacks) that has so affected them all, despite the passage of many years.
Kathi
Jul 14, 2007 Kathi rated it really liked it
Not as captivating as some of her other stories, but a nice easy read told from the youngest daughter's perspective. Chapters alternate between "Real Life" and the past, which might be confusing if you aren't paying attention. The ending was kind of a let-down -- expected more of a climax due to the animosity between the mother and grandmother -- they never did air their past grievances with one another.
bookczuk
Mar 06, 2009 bookczuk rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Interesting light read. While the story is no great shakes, I like the idea of applying chaos theory to lives...change one small (or not so small) detail and you create a whole new pattern.
Beverly
Mar 12, 2008 Beverly rated it it was amazing
A good story, though predictable. One of the main characters is only 13, but talks as though she were much older. A little unbelievable even with the way she had grown up.
Carmussel
Oct 18, 2009 Carmussel rated it liked it
Morsi is good at 'women's fiction' - I thought she handled the teenaged characters in this novel. The ending wasn't totally believeable, but overall the book was a good read.
Penny Borrelli
Penny Borrelli rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2016
Cheree Martin
Cheree Martin rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Carol Lindsay
Carol Lindsay rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Kristina Hammock
Kristina Hammock marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jett Jacomen
Jett Jacomen rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2016
Priscilla
Priscilla marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Cynthia Jones
Cynthia Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Julie Hiemer
Julie Hiemer rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Beachcomber
  • Heart of the Night
  • Twelve Times Blessed
  • Warning Signs (Angels of Mercy, #2)
  • Carly's Gift
  • Go Down to Silence
  • Hot Dish
  • The First Snowdrop (Frazer, #1)
  • Absolutely Captivated (Fates #5)
  • Sweet Everlasting
  • The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)
  • Stargazey Point
  • Tapestry
  • The Journey Home
  • Montpelier Tomorrow
  • Summer's Child
  • The Viking Takes a Knight (Viking I, #9)
  • Echoes of Titanic
Pamela Morsi is a USA Today, Waldenbooks, and Barnes & Noble bestselling author of romance. She broke into publishing in 1991 with Heaven Sent and has been gracing readers with at least a book a year ever since. Two of her novels, Courting Miss Hattie (1992) and Something Shady (1996), won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award, the highest honor in romance publishing, and others have bee ...more
More about Pamela Morsi...