Start by marking “Flightsend” as Want to Read:
Flightsend

Flightsend

Flightsend is Charlie's new home, whether she likes it or not. Her mother sees it as an end to all that’s gone so tragically wrong. They had been a proper family. Mum; her boyfriend, Sean; and Charlie, with a new baby sister on the way. But the baby died before she was born and everything changed. Gradually, Charlie’s mother pushed Sean away, before resigning from her job ...more
Published January 12th 2010 by David Fickling Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Flightsend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flightsend

Alice (marriedtobooks)
Nov 18, 2015 Alice (marriedtobooks) rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Flightsend is a tale of broken hearts, sudden changes and the changes of growing up. We meet Charlie, a sixteen year old girl sitting her GCSE exams and is whisked away along with her mother into the house titled Flightsend. The story is set over one summer and revolves around a mother-daughter bond which in today's world, is an important thing as family is a part that we keep close to our heart.

There is hints of mystery throughout the story which tied into Charlie's new home but as the story we
Nicole Karlikowski
Jan 30, 2012 Nicole Karlikowski rated it liked it
Flightsend Review
Charlie was about to begin a whole new life when she and her mother moved into an old cottage called Flightsend. Her mother sees this as an opportunity to start fresh after all that has gone so tragically wrong. This young adult novel by Linda Newbery, expresses feelings of love and family, confusion and distress, and hate and happiness. Charlie would soon find out whether moving to this cottage was going to make things better or worse.
Before moving, Charlie's mother was in a r
Sue
Mar 19, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Charlie is a typical British teen. She's 16 and taking her GCSEs and getting ready to start the 6th form - which means that she's taking a national standardized series of tests and getting ready to enter the equivalent of 11th grade. Charlie's mother has broken up with her long-term boyfriend, quit her job and is moving them to Flightsend, a cottage in the country. Charlie will be away from her friends, a long bus ride away from school and in the middle of nowhere. And nobody asked her about bre ...more
Erin
Jan 26, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
The book Flightsend is about a broken family of a mother named Kathy, a daughter named Charlie and Kathy’s boyfriend, Sean. The “family” is having issues getting over the lose of their baby and Kathy attempting to get over grief of breaking up with Sean although Charlie thought it was stupid of her.
When Kathy was looking for a new house, Charlie began thinking her mom was trying to run away from the past by changing everything. When Charlie first saw Flightsend (the name of the house) she look
Ryan
Jul 01, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it
Flightsend is a cottage, way out in the country, that becomes a new home for Charlie and her mother. Charlie isn't pleased with the move but not in an obnoxious way, and ultimately she discovers a number of good things about her new life.

I found myself wishing for more of the mother's motivations for the move, perhaps as a balance to Charlie's experiences. We know the events that result in the move, but not much about what was going on in her head. The mother has her own self-discovery and it wo
Michelle
Dec 11, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book, but it was a little strange at parts. The character is roughly 15-16 and one of her teachers is making very slight advances towards her. She realizes and avoids hi, I am just not sure that is a good message to send. That you should just avoid teachers making inappropriate advanced. However, the overall story (excluding that part) was good, although it seemed more about her mother than her.
Lynda
Jan 24, 2016 Lynda rated it it was ok
It was OK
A coming of age type of story where a girl and her mother leave the father and move to the country. They both adjust to their new lives and Charlie, the girl, is able to move on.
Being just OK, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.
I think I decided to read it based on the author's name.
Rachel
Dec 20, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: journey
An interesting buildingsroman about how a girl grows up in the countryside after living in town her whole life and how she deals with her mother, her mother's break up with her boyfriend and father figure, and the loss of her baby sister. She finds a place where she has room to breathe, and so she breathes.
Hannan
Apr 01, 2013 Hannan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
i didnt even finish reading this book, thats how boreing it was;i kept telling myself it would get better but it never did, it had no plain plot, jut the ordinary info about an average teen having to move house. i only got half way and litrally gave up.
Ilonita50
Jul 19, 2012 Ilonita50 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so good! Bring be back to the memories of being at countryside. Its well written, creating the scene perfectly and story itself is catchy. Read!
Adrienne
Jun 01, 2013 Adrienne rated it liked it
Shelves: ok
this book was OK got boring, and it was just plain, boring and uneventful. Wouldn't recommend it.
Pages and Papercuts
Putting this book down for now, don't know if I'll get to finishing it.
Sharon Burgin
I was enjoying the escapism in this story until the ending which was so contrived it ruined the book for me.
Kerstin
Feb 06, 2010 Kerstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cosy
Iris
Apr 11, 2011 Iris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book one of my top books ever.
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
May 25, 2014
Nina Test
Nina Test rated it it was ok
Oct 06, 2015
Marina
Marina rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Ling Dong
Ling Dong rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2009
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2012
Nancy Lockett
Nancy Lockett rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Bookworm
Bookworm rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Arya polgara
Arya polgara rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2011
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Elijah
Elijah rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2013
Alina White
Alina White rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2013
Lolly
Lolly rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2013
Chiz Capricorn-tigger
Chiz Capricorn-tigger rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Linda Iris Newbery (born 12 August 1952, in Romford, Essex) is a British writer known best for young-adult fiction—where she entered the market, although she has broadened her range to encompass all ages. She published her first novel Run with the Hare in 1988, while still working as an English teacher in a comprehensive school. She became a full-time writer in 2000.
Linda is a regular tutor for th
More about Linda Newbery...