Start by marking “Brannvegg” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Brannvegg

Henning Mankell

Brannvegg (Kurt Wallander #8)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,900 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
Stopping to use a cash machine one evening, a man falls to the ground: dead. A taxi driver is brutally murdered by two teenage girls who demonstrate a complete lack of remorse. One girl escapes police custody and disappears without trace. Soon afterwards, a blackout covers half the country. When an engineer arrives at the malfunctioning power station, he makes a grisly dis ...more
Paperback
Published 2000 by Gyldendal (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brannvegg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brannvegg

Brad
This book made me feel sick to my stomach. Not because it was too gory or because what was written disagreed with me in a philosophical way, but because I have grown to care about Kurt Wallander over the eight books I've read -- maybe even seeing a bit of myself in him -- and it's in this book that he is most under siege, and that feeling of being under attack was the feeling that made me feel ill.

His protege, Martinsson, the man he trained in the way his mentor Ryberg trained him, the man he k
Aug 14, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of chewy reads that take time
Recommended to Jennifer by: a large % of CLC's Biology Department
With each Kurt Wallander mystery I read, I'm more and more impressed with Mankell's ability to create a Swedish police procedural that pulls you in--no matter how dense the "procedural" aspects of the case are. Like the first book I read (Faceless Killers), this is no thriller with aspirations for movie-dom (you know the ones) though there are suspenseful moments. Instead, this is a layered, complex telling of two seemingly unrelated cases and how Wallander and his team slowly tease out the conn ...more
Lobstergirl
Apr 05, 2012 Lobstergirl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: gong farmers
Mankell's laziest, most hackish work yet, a pastiche of several other books in the series. At this point, I guess he could write them in his sleep. And probably did. Take elements of techno-terrorism or sabotage, Africa, disgruntled teens committing seemingly random crimes, mix, rearrange. He didn't even bother to tie up several loose ends in this one.
Maddy
Apr 27, 2014 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2003-reads

Firewall: Any of a number of security schemes that prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to a computer network or that monitor transfers of information. What an appropriate title for this book, in more ways than one. First of all, the main area of investigation centers on trying to break through the firewall protection systems on the computer of a dead man. The police have reason to believe that a program in the computer may be set to cause some kind of destruction. The word "firewall"
Michael
Satisfying police procedural featuring detective Kurt Wallander in rural Sweden. This is the 8th in a series of 11 and my first experience with the author. A case of two teen aged girls who brutally murder a cab driver and confess with no remorse that it was simply for money leads Wallender to look closer. Another case of a computer consultant dying of apparent natural causes at a cash machine provides an early hint that he was planning something socially disruptive. From this slow start, Wallen ...more
Eva Lorenz
Jan 13, 2012 Eva Lorenz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first got exposed to Wallander and Mankell through the PBS mystery series and got immediately hooked because I used to gobble up books by Sjoewall and Wahloo. Let me say upfront, if you like realistic, modern crime drama that does not paint routine policy work as a series of great inspirations and glorified thoughts, these books are definitely for you.
The story is not idealized, it shows the police as human beings, flawed to the core, struggling with everyday problems of their own and drudging
Daníel Freyr Jónsson
Firewall is a well thought out and well written crime novel. Kurt Wallander is a bit of an anti-hero but it's easy to feel compassion for him. In this book he's investigating a murder committed by two teenage girls that soon become linked to the death of a man that apparently died of natural causes in front of an ATM machine.
The story has its weak points though, e.g. the reason for the perpetrators to go to such great lengths in providing clues for the police to link the two deaths in never adeq
Arhondi
Apr 14, 2016 Arhondi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started watching Wallander, the Swedish series and I thoroughly enjoyed it and then by chance, this book was in my neighborhood pub, so I took it (I'll take it back, don't worry)

I have not read any other crime novels so I have nothing to judge it against, except my taste on novels: sticking to facts, dry Scandi humor, a solid case with references to the real world and current events, and building suspense = We have a winner!

I really enjoyed this book and I can see why Mankell became so famous
Jonathan Lin
Jan 05, 2015 Jonathan Lin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First pass at a review.

Henning Mankell has a virtually flawless writing style. There were two points later on in the novel where there was just one too many plot twists to be bearable, but the conceit held and the tension became palpable.

I always dig into a Wallander novel expecting a good read, but Mankell surprises me again with the environments that he creates. I have no idea if Malmo and Ystad are really as he describes in the novel, and the only way to find out is to visit these places. The
Barbara
Apr 08, 2016 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspector Kurt Wallender and his detectives are looking into two incidents: the brutal murder of a cab driver by two teenage girls, Sonya Hokberg and Eva Persson; and the death, seemingly from a heart attack, of computer expert Tynnes Falk near an ATM machine. Events escalate when Sonya escapes police custody and is found dead in the works of a power station during a power blackout. Coincidentally, the blueprints of the power station are found on Falk's desk. Clearly, these cases are connected s ...more
Teresa Lukey
There is no doubt that the Scandinavian crime novels I have read thus far fail to disappoint. After reading Stieg Larsson and now my first Henning Mankell, either the Swed's are really creative in creating some really messed up situations or Sweden is a pretty messed up place to live.

This crime is relatively twisted and complex, but I didn't find the ending as exciting as other crime novels, hence the 4 star rating.

The investigator at the forefront of the story is Kurt Wallander, which I found
Kristin
May 03, 2013 Kristin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, audio-books
I have come to the conclusion that Kurt Wallander is a lousy policeman and detective. He continuously snarls at his team, "I don't care! Do what I say!", he doesn't tell his team OR is supervisor key points in an investigation, he sneaks around behind everyone's back, he has anger management issues, chronic depression, and harasses people at 3am in the morning because he wants the answer NOW but then is irritated when someone calls him in the middle of the night.

Wallander believes he is the mos
Shannon
Feb 04, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, well, well. A completely different story / crime but trying to link everything together was a bit of work. Mankell tries to throw in a South Africa connection and it kind of works but barely at the end of this story which seemed rushed to me. However, getting toward the last quarter of the story, it gets a bit tedious and I longed for the end. There were no only odd things that occurred with the series of 'events' but also odd things occurring with the relationships of the police officers ...more
Patrick Sherriff
Nov 23, 2015 Patrick Sherriff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-and-such
I love the Kurt Wallander character, maybe because as I slip deeper into middle age, his world-weariness tinged with idealism that gives him only just enough strength to carry on are familiar aspects of life. With the author's death last month, I thought it was about time I read one of his Wallander mysteries. Firewall was the only one I have on my shelves. I think it's the eighth outing and I might hazard a guess that it's not his best. Written at a time when the Y2K bug was considered a real t ...more
Elayne Isaacs
Jan 06, 2015 Elayne Isaacs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tense, and intense. I find this character flawed and insecure enough to make him reader friendly. Well plotted and just complex enouth.
Reinhold
Dec 14, 2008 Reinhold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Brandmauer = Firewall :)

Dies ist der Abschluss der Wallanderreihe, wenngleich nicht das letzte Buch, da es noch die Kurzgeschichten in "Wallanders erster Fall" gibt. Zur Geschichte: Zwei Teenie-Girls ermorden einen Taxifahrer und geben als sie gefasst werden an, es wäre wegen des Geldes gewesen. Ein Computerfachmann wird tot vor einem Geldautomaten gefunden und wenngleich es so scheint als wäre es ein natürlicher Tod gewesen verdichten sich die Hinweise, dass irgend etwas ganz und gar nicht stim
bookczuk
It's been a while since I read a Wallander, though I've read the start of the series that features Wallander's daughter, Linda. This was my first Wallander as an audio book, and the first thing javaczuk and I noticed was that we've been saying the name wrong -- we got the initial sound right, but it was more a matter of putting the accent on the wrong syllable. But, I'm teachable, if nothing else, and I now say it correctly (or at least as the audio book did) 90% of the time.

Once again, Mankell
F.R.
Feb 22, 2010 F.R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gripping, well-plotted, smart and gloomy. This is my first Wallander and, although I will read the others, that last adjective means I wouldn’t want to line up a number of these books back to back. I think that wouldn’t be good for one’s mental well-being.

Two seemingly unconnected crimes have far reaching consequences and things get more confusing as the bodies pile up. For the most part this is a compulsive thriller that keeps the reader constantly on edge, but as the plot moves forward maybe s
Steve
Sep 08, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
1. Firewall. # 8 in the series by Henning Mankell featuring Kurt Wallander. Wallander and team investigate several seemingly unrelated deaths. Poor Kurt is betrayed several times in this one. One of his colleagues tells Kurt that he “has lost his grip”. I’m not so sure that that assessment is not correct, both in his personal life and his professional one. Wallander seems particularly crabby and perhaps a little desperate in this story. It does almost seem like it is time for him to pack it up. ...more
Barbara Backus
Jun 14, 2015 Barbara Backus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Henning Mankell joins my list of the Scandinavian writers I enjoy who know how to create well developed and interesting plots with excellent characterizations. His fine writing makes this book a must-read for anyone who loves a good mystery. I had not read any previous Detective Kurt Wallender mysteries but it didn't seem to matter.

And, while trying not to sound too prudish, I have to admit that I enjoyed the complete absence of any profanity. Not one word. How unusual.
Elsie
Jan 17, 2011 Elsie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some reviewers insist that the cases occupying Kurt Wallander's time got more obvious and his criminals two-dimensional with every new case. I disagree, but that isn't why I've loved this series so much. It's that with every new novel, I've been given another chance to look into the aging detective's heart. He feels too much, eats too much, sleeps too little, exercises not at all and, for the most part, seems flummoxed by the most mundane details of his life. And yet I can't helping loving this ...more
Eric
Jan 06, 2011 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After two teenage girls murder a taxi driver with a hammer and a knife (who said Sweden wasn't violent?) and a man falls dead in front of an ATM machine, Wallender discovers that both events are intertwined with a worldwide conspiracy to bring the economic world down to a halt.

Although the story is somewhat weak, predictable and outdate, Mankell's writing is always quite entertaining. His characters are very well defined and I specially like his main character, his bitterness and perseverance ma
Marissa Morrison
Wallander is a frequent bungler, but never before has he been this imperfect. The story is excruciating, like a long ride on a tall roller coaster.
Andrea
Jul 19, 2011 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another finely woven, taughtly drawn thriller from Mankell. Mystery and suspense again do not fail to entertain, and Wallander becomes more morose, yet more likeable as he enters his 50's.
These novels are so much polar opposites of current US-based crime dramas dripping with technical details - here the human element is the sine qua non. Even though this novel ponders the questions of of vulnerability to technology and how this might affect society and crime, here the computers themselves remai
Flaanza
Keith
Jan 25, 2016 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent Henning Mankell story. His plot lines are very complex. In this story, a man dies of natural causes, but his death is untimely for the terrorist scheme that he was involved in. This sets off a series of hasty decisions by his collaborators that lead to the murders of additional of people on the periphery of the scheme. In addition there is an opportunistic murder that connects to the planned murders and further muddies the water for Kurt Wallender.

Mankell does an excellent job
Pete Marchetto
Oct 05, 2015 Pete Marchetto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mankell is a name new to me. It is only with subsequent research - all those Swedish names, you know - that I've realised Firewall is not only an international best seller, but also that it was adapted for British television by the BBC, (along with other Mankell novels), starring no less a light than Kenneth Branagh.

That's what living in China does for one's grip upon cultural developments.

My four-star rating is one I'd perhaps edge down rather than up, and I'm unclear what it is this particula
Carlos Mock
Firewall by Henning Mankell Translated from the Swedish by Ebba Segerberg

Firewall is the sixth Kurt Wallander book to appear in English. Although I have not read any of the five prior books, the writer spends the first few chapters getting the reader up to date as the book's narrator - Wallander from the third person point of view - give the reader a quick update.

In the small town of Ystad, a pair of seemingly random events take place within a matter of days: two teenage girls with no apparent m
Julián
May 31, 2014 Julián rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lo reconozco: me costó algo meterme en harina. Tenía la sensación de no haberlo cogido en buen momento, que quizá debería haber esperado algo más para volver a embarcarme en otra historia de Wallander con casi 600 páginas. Pronto le cogí el punto y volví a enfrascarme en la historia de este sufrido poli sueco.

Como en otras novelas de la serie, Wallander se ve inmerso en una gran conjura internacional que consigue desbaratar en el último minuto con cierta dosis de acción.

En esta ocasión investiga
Writerlibrarian
This is the last novel featuring Kurt Wallander as the main character. Mankell has written another book but with Linda Wallander as the lead character. In this last novel, we follow Wallander has he battles a group determined to bring new order to the world through chaos. Homicidal teenagers, back stabbing coworker, all the while battling his own loneliness and despair. Again a very tight plot where the moods and emotional health of the character are what makes you read along.
Un answered questions 3 26 Jun 15, 2014 12:26AM
  • The Man Who Went Up in Smoke (Martin Beck, #2)
  • Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4)
  • Arctic Chill (Inspector Erlendur #7)
  • The Torso (Inspector Huss #3)
  • Black Seconds (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #6)
  • Never End (Inspector Winter, #4)
Henning Mankell was an internationally known Swedish crime writer, children's author and playwright. He was best known for his literary character Kurt Wallander.

Mankell split his time between Sweden and Mozambique. He was married to Eva Bergman, Swedish director and daughter of Ingmar Bergman.
More about Henning Mankell...

Kurt Wallander (10 books)
  • Faceless Killers (Wallander #1)
  • The Dogs of Riga (Wallander #2)
  • The White Lioness (Wallander, #3)
  • The Man Who Smiled (Wallander #4)
  • Sidetracked (Wallander #5)
  • The Fifth Woman (Wallander, #6)
  • One Step Behind (Wallander, #7)
  • The Pyramid: And Four Other Kurt Wallander Mysteries (Wallander, #9)
  • The Troubled Man (Wallander #10)