Start by marking “The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)” as Want to Read:
The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)

The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (The Demon Cycle #1.6)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,143 Ratings  ·  132 Reviews
Humanity is nearly extinct after 300 years of hungry demon corelings. A handful of Messengers brave the night between the increasingly isolated populace behind protective wards. Arlen Bales will search anywhere, dare anything, to save the world. Maybe Abban, a merchant in the Great Bazaar of Krasia who purports to sell anything, has the answer.
Published January 1st 2010 by Subterranean Press

To ask other readers questions about The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Bazaar and Other Stories

Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickGrishma by Kelly Anne BlountFallen by Lauren KateGraceling by Kristin CashoreFire by Kristin Cashore
Best Fantasy Book Covers
286th out of 1,169 books — 1,362 voters
Prince of Thorns by Mark  LawrenceBloodrose by Andrea CremerStorm Glass by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderSpy Glass by Maria V. Snyder
Hoods!
22nd out of 54 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica ❁ Far Dareis Mai ❁ Rabid Reads

The Great Bazaar:

In THE WARDED MAN, one of Arlen's POV sections begins with him in the ruins of an ancient Krasian city where he finds the tomb of the Kaji. This is story of how he got the map to that city: hijinx ensue after his return from another abandoned city, having nearly been killed when he encountered a new type of desert demon.

Entertaining and informative, but not indispensably so.

Deleted Scenes: Arlen

Apparently, this was a writing assignment that birthed the DEMON CYCLE, but
Kristalia
Feb 01, 2016 Kristalia rated it really liked it
Final rating: 3.75/5 stars

For the Great Bazaar - 4 stars.
For the other stories - 3.5 stars.

Was it worth it? It was - we were given some more insights in the new demons, and how Arlen got the map to the Anoch Sun.

It was good, all in all. I really love Arlen - thank god all these stories are about him #Fangirl signing out.

REVIEW(S) RELATED TO THIS BOOK:

The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
Brayan's Gold (Demon Cycle, #1.5)
The Great Bazaar and Other Stories (Demon Cycle, #1.6)
The Dayl
mark monday
Dec 08, 2015 mark monday rated it liked it
Shelves: fantastickal
well this was fun and served as a good reminder for me that I need to continue on with this series. Arlen remains an interesting protagonist - the annoying cliche parts of his personality (angry angsty guy always battling that voice of weakness in his head) are forgotten when chuckling over his willingness to be a dick to people who get on his nerves. I like seeing that in my heroes; it's usually a trait reserved for villains or anti-heroes.

clay demons were pretty fun, but even more fun was the
Gamma Mouse
May 12, 2011 Gamma Mouse rated it really liked it
The Painted Man (also known as The Warded Man for those who like their books American-Made) is one of the best fantasy epics of recent years. Period, exclamation point, throw whatever other punctuation you want at it, doesn’t matter; the book seriously kicked it, bringing it like Beckham (That Posh has skillz!) The novel’s protagonist, the demon-fighting Arlen Bales, easily captures the mantle of greatest Arlen ever, (trouncing Senator Arlen Specter who doesn’t fight demons, he just works with t ...more
Claudia
Jan 29, 2016 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Lovely addition to the main series.
It contains the prologue and two chapters which were removed from the first book, from various motives (explained by P. Brett).

The main story, "The Great Bazaar", is a detailed one on how Arlen got the map from Abban and started looking for the lost city, Anoch Sun. There is also a battle on the way (prior to the scene related to this particular map) with some demons which do not appear in "The Warded Man".

The prologue, entitled "Arlen" (which is, in fact, the
David Sven
Apr 29, 2013 David Sven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Great Bazaar is a short story that sits somewhere between chapters 16 and 17 of The Warded Man and tells of how Arlen gets Abban to help him steal the map to the lost City of Anoch Sun from the Krasian Temple of Heroes. Brett says he chose not to write about the three year period between those chapters when Arlen is working as a messenger and has instead opted to possibly revisit that time period later on. In his own words

This was an exciting, adventure-filled period in Arlen’s life, and a v
Vagner Stefanello
Jan 07, 2016 Vagner Stefanello rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

E aqui estou eu novamente para contar a minha opinião sobre The Great Bazaar and Other Stories, outro livro do Peter V. Brett que se passa no mesmo universo da série principal.

Situado entre os capítulos 16 e 17 de O Protegido, The Great Bazaar já nos introduz a Arlen como mensageiro e atualmente em Krasia, a Lança do Deserto. Sempre quis saber mais sobre o local, e esse conto sanou um pouco a minha curiosidade a respeito dos krasianos e como eles se c
seak
Jan 11, 2012 seak rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
I probably don't need to mention this again, but I love the Demon Cycle by Peter Brett. It just gets me. It's not perfect, but there are so many great things about it that I can easily dismiss/overlook/completely ignore any shortcomings. I keep reading and I can't get enough.

Brett has created literary crack.

The Great Bazaar and Other Stories takes place somewhere in the middle (time-wise) of The Warded Man, book one of the Demon Cycle. Our hero, Arlen Bales, is working as a messenger -those who
Nj Sun
4,5 Sterne
Obwohl ich eigentlich schon so lange aus der Geschichte raus bin, habe den 1. Teil vor 3 Jahre oder so gelesen, war ich wieder sofort drin. Die 4 Kurzgeschichten fande ich wirklich gelungen und hat mir wieder Lust auf mehr gemacht. :)
Benjamin Thomas
This is a nice little companion book for the main Demon Cycle series. It includes a novella about Arlen’s formative years as a Messenger, recounting a tale of a trip to collect some rare artifacts on his way to the Great Bazaar of Krasia where he interacts with the merchant Abban. It’s a nice story and allows some more details about clay demons to come out. The book also includes two “cut scenes” from The Warded Man manuscript including the original story that the author wrote for his fantasy wr ...more
DaJa
Oct 18, 2015 DaJa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy
Eine nette Geschichte mit Szenen die für die eigentlichen Bücher einfach zu lang sind.
Marcos
Jul 29, 2015 Marcos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Very entertaining short read.
Dawn
Dec 20, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2011
Good little addition to the Demon Cycle series. Nothing spectacular, but still worth reading if you enjoyed the other books in the series. I'd recommend reading it after Warded/Painted Man and before Desert Spear though, as all of the stories and deleted scenes are from Warded/Painted Man.
Cristina
Jan 18, 2016 Cristina rated it really liked it
Em O Ciclo dos Demónios, de Peter V. Brett toda a história roda em torno de um simples facto que fez divergir este mundo do que conhecemos: os demónios. Todas as noites estes seres mágicos se erguem do núcleo para atacar os humanos, e todas as noites os humanos se escondem por detrás das runas, caracteres com os quais tecem barreiras mágicas. Estes sucessivos ataques terão feito regredir uma civilização que, pelas pistas deixadas ao longo das histórias, terá sido bastante evoluída.

Por receio de
Becky
I decided to plough through some novella's from various series that I haven't gotten around to yet, and this was on the list. This review is actually for the newer edition (I believe) entitled The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold, which includes this and Brayan's Gold, so I don't know what the 'other stories' in this version actually are I'm afraid!

Arlen is in the desert region of Krasia, searching the desert sands for a village that was lost to the demons, but which may still contain some valuabl
Mark
Oct 11, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-read
When I read The Painted Man last year it became one of my favourite books I'd ever read. It had everything I wanted and Peter V Brett told the story in such a way that I just couldn't put it down until I reached the last page. The sequel, The Desert Spear, became one of the top three books I was looking forward to this year, but when Subterranean Press announced The Great Bazaar I knew I had to have it. Fortunately I managed to get my order in and when it arrived I quickly managed to get over my ...more
sabisteb
Mar 17, 2011 sabisteb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Der große Basar ist eines Sammlung aus 2 Kurzgeschichten und 2 weggefallenen Szenen aus Das Lied der Dunkelheit, die aus den unterschiedlichsten Gründen gestrichen wurden.

Die Kurzgeschichte Der große Basar erzählt von Arlens und Abbans Geschäftsbeziehung und wie Arlen in den Besitz der Karte kam, die ihn nach Anochs Sonne führte.

Die Kurzgeschichte "Brayans Gold" erzählt von Arlens erster langer Tour als Kurier auf welcher er als erster Mensch einem Schneedämon begegnet.

Diese beiden Kurzgeschicht
Terence
Dec 26, 2015 Terence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars
I loved it. The Great Bazaar absolutely should have been in The Warded Man, it would've help show the seriousness of acquiring a map to Anoch Sun.

I always enjoy reading about Arlen and seeing his unique blend of boldness and luck. Arlen seems like the perfect blend between Krasian and Greenlander because he wants to fight demons even when it seems impossible, but he sees value in all people not just Sharum, Dama, and Dama'ting.

Abban is really a great character and it's reinforced in The Great B
Tim Childress
Jan 06, 2015 Tim Childress rated it it was ok
Decidedly meh. I didn't need to read a sidequest.
raquelbalsa
Jun 25, 2015 raquelbalsa rated it liked it
Peter V. Brett é um bom contador de histórias. A pentalogia “Ciclo dos Demónios”, da qual conhecemos apenas os primeiros três livros, decorre num mundo em que, com a noite, chegam os demónios e em que a “língua” das guardas, progressivament e resgatada ao tempo e à história, cria uma barreira ou as armas necessárias para os manter ao largo (ou para os eliminar, como percebemos melhor na sequência dos livros).

Apesar da luta comum travada contra os demónios, as personagens tanto se aproximam como
Anne Monteith
May 05, 2015 Anne Monteith rated it it was amazing
The Demon Cycle is one of my favorite series and I think is one of the best series ever written. I finished the 4th book in the series and I’m already dreading the long, long wait until the next book is released when I saw this which I downloaded but waited to read until I could not longer wait. . If the author could release a series of these shorts every 3 or 4 months, then the wait for The Core won’t seem so long as I’ll be able to read about those characters that I’ve come to love so much. Si ...more
Michael
Jul 25, 2014 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Demon Cycle, must read for fans of Abban.
Recommended to Michael by: I am a fan of The Demon Cycle and Abban.
I would say there was less to this story than the other Demon Cycle short story, "Brayan's Gold", and for a while "The Great Bazaar" feels like nothing more than a cut section of The Warded Man. However, the ending throws a fun curveball or two which help the story achieve closure and stand on its own, ultimately putting the tale a little ahead of "Brayan's Gold" in my estimation.

Plus, "The Great Bazaar" gives us more Abban. I hadn't taken much notice of him in The Warded Man, but this story es
Byron Smith
Aug 29, 2015 Byron Smith rated it it was amazing
The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold is a very good novelette. Of course, I have read the preceding Daylight War books. But, I had forgotten how captivating Brett's style is. It is a must read while experiencing the Daylight War. Brett introduces a handful of new characters, but all are so well developed that it makes the reader want more. The two stories quickly captivate the audience with detail and fast moving plots. I'm sure these were likely editor cuts from the original books, but they are v ...more
Jim C
Sep 13, 2014 Jim C rated it liked it
This book contains a short story that takes place during The Warded Man. It also has two deleted scenes from that novel and there is a glossary of word definitions and the different wards that characters use in the book.

I enjoyed the short story and the deleted scene with Arlen. These two events help portray how Arlen is different from his family and gives the reader more examples of Arlen's beliefs. The other material is nice for a perusal but really doesn't add anything to this world.

This boo
Razvan Zamfirescu
Spicuiri din recenzia finala care se gaseste pe blogul meu

..........................................

În The Great Bazaar, Arlen este deja un mesager trecut prin ciur și prin dârmon. Dorind să descopere secretele glifelor uitate, Arlen este dispus să dea crezare legendelor și apelează la un comerciant prieten din Krasia, Abban, care-i promite o hartă ce-l va ajuta să descopere glifele de război pierdute în negura vremurilor.

Volumașul e fain pentru că explică cum a ajuns Arlen în posesia suliței g
Suzie
Dec 25, 2011 Suzie rated it really liked it
Shelves: epic-fantasy
Lived being able to see Arlens story continue through the eyes of another character. I love Abbaan, he's such a scoundrel.
Scrambles
Mar 28, 2010 Scrambles rated it really liked it
Short, sweet and a great refresher before moving onto The Desert Spear. Bring on The Desert Spear.
Rusty
Jan 30, 2015 Rusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prose, fantasy
I'll be straight up honest with you. I didn't read this book... I did read The Great Bazaar and Bryan's Gold in a beautiful little hardback published by Harper Voyager publishers, but I couldn't find that version anywhere on goodreads. So I'm reviewing this, which appears to have at least those same two stories in it.

In all, I liked them, they both take place during a period of Arlen's life that was skipped in the Warded Man novel. You know, he walked into the wilderness to become a messenger an
K
Jan 26, 2013 K rated it really liked it
  • The Girl of Hrusch Avenue (Powder Mage, #0.5)
  • Leviathan Wept and Other Stories
  • Perfect Shadow (Night Angel, #0.5)
  • Swords & Dark Magic: The New Sword and Sorcery
  • The Tainted City (Shattered Sigil, #2)
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Rabenmond: Der magische Bund
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, part #4)
  • Veil of the Deserters (Bloodsounder's Arc, #2)
  • Heirs of the Blade (Shadows of the Apt, #7)
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • Die entführte Prinzessin: Von Drachen, Liebe und anderen Ungeheuern
  • Anders. Der Gott der Elder (Anders, #4)
  • Shadow's Lure (Shadow Saga, #2)
Peter V. Brett is the New York Times and international bestselling author of the Demon Cycle series, which has sold millions of copies in 25 languages worldwide. Novels include The Warded Man, The Desert Spear, The Daylight War, and most recently, The Skull Throne. The final novel in the series, The Core, will be published in 2017.

In addition to his novels, Peter has written a series of novellas s
More about Peter V. Brett...

The Demon Cycle (5 books)
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
  • The Desert Spear (Demon Cycle, #2)
  • The Daylight War (Demon Cycle, #3)
  • The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4)
  • The Core (Demon Cycle, #5)

“Every day away from succor was another night spent outside with the corelings, and not even Arlen took that lightly, but he had a deep and driving need to see things that no other man had seen, to go places no other man had gone. He had been eleven when he ran away from home. Now he was twenty, and had seen more of the world than any but a handful of other men.” 3 likes
A fool's a man who knows better and does the thing anyway, his father's voice said.” 2 likes