Start by marking “The Selby is in Your Place” as Want to Read:
The Selby is in Your Place

The Selby is in Your Place

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Selby Is in Your Place was conceived when fashion and interiors photographer Todd Selby began taking portraits of dynamic and creative people—authors, musicians, artists, and designers—in their home environments and posting them on his web site. Nosy by nature, he wanted to see how personal style was reflected in private spaces. Lucky for us, he found his answer in the ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Selby is in Your Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selby is in Your Place

Jacobmartin
Oh boy, what to think of this one?

The introduction to this utterly weird work was enlightening in getting me to see the point of it all - mentions of "It's not love or compassion that links together New Yorkers, it's envy" were made, and from that I reckon that a lot of people will miss the point, protest at it "What a bunch of indie douchebags!" and throw it against the wall.

From what I understand, the book attempts to convey envy by making you look at affluent and presumably successful artist'
Rebecca
A quote from the intro explains this book pretty well: "...envy and competition keep someone like me tuned into The Selby, fascinated with how the rest of the world enjoys their totally awesome lives (because everyone's place is totally better than mine, duh)..."

It just didn't do a lot for me. It was cool to see inside the homes of real, artsy people (Karl Lagerfeld has an INSANE book collection), but most of it seemed posed, cluttered, and too heavy on the taxidermy. I'm proud that I can have a
Denise
Feb 04, 2013 Denise rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I like to read about how the other half lives. By which I mean hipsters. And for that, this book is amazing.

Two roughly dressed men stand in front of a wall of VHS tapes throwing papers in to an honest to god indoor trash can fire. They are also wearing hats and sunglasses indoors. Two entirely different men sit, posed, in all white clothing in an all white apartment. Everything is white, down to the fucking cat.

This book is almost too much. You think, "No one actually lives like thi
sara frances
this book could also be titled "Gorgeous Artsy People who Decorate with Really Weird, Creepy Shit"
Claire
Apr 08, 2011 Claire rated it really liked it
This book is kind of the point of coffee table books - jumping in anywhere is beautiful and interesting and inspiring. Sure, it was annoying that a couple subjects had bogus claims to creative fame, like "muse," but whatever, they had cool spaces and that's the whole point. One criticism - what's up with all the taxidermy?? Sometimes I felt like all the people were "creative" with their spaces in exactly the same trendy, hipstery ways. All the vintage toy collections? Enough! That's one of the o ...more
Monica
Jun 25, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing
TheSelby.com is a gold mine of visual resource and lifestyle-copping. Slightly joking on the latter, but it is incredibly tempting to copy the interiors and fixings found in the homes of some really interesting, often creative, forces out there.

Extrapolating on what can only be guessed as lucky connections, Todd Selby went/goes into the homes of working/not working famous figures and photographs their awesome homes, weird collections, insanely expensive taste in furniture and lighting fixtures,
Ariane
Jan 13, 2013 Ariane rated it it was amazing
Todd Shelby's blog was one of my favorite online discoveries of last year. I'm so glad that I finally got my paws on this! His photography is great and I love the eclectic collection of homes and studios he's put together in this book. My favorite spaces are the small, busy, colorful, knick-knack filled apartments. The Modern/Minimalist spaces do the least for me, but damn I wish I could have a library like Karl Lagerfeld has a library (and I want my own Green Money Leather Sofa). I've gotten a ...more
Luis Diazdecossio
Sep 14, 2013 Luis Diazdecossio rated it it was amazing
This book is so amazing, I'd never heard of Todd Selby before, but now I'm a great fan of his work.
If you liked this book you really have to visit theselby.com, you can find a lot of more pictures besides the ones that appear in the book. At first I thought it would only be a book about hipster people hanging at their house, but the pictures are really great, the stuff they own is amazing and you actually feel that you know that people. This is the perfect book to have in your living room table.
Angelina
Jul 01, 2011 Angelina rated it liked it
I really liked looking into these people's homes. The photography was interesting and the book came with stickers!
But overall, it did not do much for me. It is just a showcase of hipster bourgeoisie "individuality" and their overly expensive and trendy homes. But I guess that's the reason of the book; to see how the other half lives. I did like the Karl Lagerfeld photos.
Mara Gr
Dec 12, 2013 Mara Gr rated it it was amazing
This is not my type of book but i totally love it. Love the introduction and the clever answers. This book introduce you into a world you don't know and it feels good to see it from another perspective.
Dearwassily
Oct 26, 2015 Dearwassily rated it liked it
Interesting slices into other people's homes.
Janelle
Apr 07, 2015 Janelle rated it liked it
Quirky and fun, didn't love it, didn't hate it.
Brentabousko
Jun 24, 2014 Brentabousko rated it really liked it
Hipsters
Fede
Jan 21, 2016 Fede rated it it was amazing
Loved this book!
Danie P.
Jan 29, 2011 Danie P. rated it really liked it
For those of you not familiar with the Selby's website, this book is exactly the same thing but more of a compilation of favorites. I always like seeing the quirky insides of people's homes and reading the short unusal survey's Todd (creator of the Selby) creats for his subjects to fill out. A lot of time I feel that the realllllyyy weird ones are just weird for weird's sake.
Dean
Feb 05, 2013 Dean rated it really liked it
Another fun Selby book to pore through with its lavish and overwhelming layouts and content focus. Not quite as captivating as 'Edible Selby' but still an enjoyable look into the interior dwellings of creative, hipster types around the world.
Taylie
Dec 31, 2010 Taylie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy photography/interior design
I got this as a gift from a friend and I absolutely love this book! A photographer goes to people's houses and photographs their life. Amazing pictures and inspiring people. What I would give to live in the houses these people have! Fun book.
Relyn
Mar 11, 2016 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes odd
Shelves: shelter-books
What a crazy idea for an odd little book. This is packed full of very unusual people with quite different interiors. It's good for the voyeur in you. And, it might just surprise you and be inspiriring as well.
Ju Ribeiro
Jan 15, 2011 Ju Ribeiro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Seeing Elisa Nalin's place, first in The Selby's website, now printed, was better than therapy. I showed it to my mom: "see? I'm normal".

Loved this book.
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: HIPSTERS (admitted or closeted). kitsch-lovers, art folks, thriftshop junkies.
Recommended to Cheryl by: The Library Shelves - It was just sitting there looking sexy and all
Shelves: ddc-700
If anything could convince you to "Keep It Weird" at any age, it is this book. Sheer inspiration!

(Oh how I want the chairs and table on pg 246.)
Michael Gossett
Sep 16, 2011 Michael Gossett rated it really liked it
A combination of TheSelby.com's interviews and photographs of beautifully decorated homes makes for a perfect (and my only) coffee-table book.
Anda
Aug 04, 2010 Anda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Goodness, I loved this book. So much inspiration inside these pages. Love the author, the layout, the photography, the interviewees, etc etc etc.
Margaret
Aug 12, 2011 Margaret rated it it was amazing
This book is original, inspirational and so beautiful. Love it!! I loved looking inside peoples places. Karl Lagerfeld's library rocks!!
Sean
Dec 10, 2011 Sean rated it really liked it
An excellent book filled with misfits, crazies and other generally creative and inspiring personalities and their personal environments.
Eija
May 20, 2012 Eija rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
If I was going to own only one "coffee table" book, this would be it. Quirky, captivating, filled with interesting images.
Mary
May 18, 2010 Mary rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who wants a touch of fabulous in their life.
This isn't so much a book you read, but one you can look at over and over again. Love this book and the idea behind this book.
Jane
Aug 08, 2015 Jane rated it liked it
A clear introduction would be helpful. Also would've appreciated it if they placed links to the artists' website.
Laurie B-W
Jun 01, 2011 Laurie B-W rated it liked it
This was a fun book. I'm glad to see photos of people's living spaces that look just as messy (or lived in) as mine!
Catherine Corman
May 31, 2010 Catherine Corman rated it liked it
Todd Selby: Terence what is the best compliment you were ever given?

Terence Koh: "nice manners"
Susan
Mar 02, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, house
I've been a reader of his blog, so it's the same thing. Fun to look at in book form.
  • Creative Walls: How to Display and Enjoy Your Treasured Collections
  • Graphic: Inside the Sketchbooks of the World's Great Graphic Designers
  • Tim Walker Pictures
  • Downtown Chic: Designing Your Dream Home: From Wreck to Ravishing
  • The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well
  • Apartment Therapy presents real homes, real people, hundreds of real design solutions
  • Uncommon Places: The Complete Works