Alec: How to Be an Artist

Alec: How to Be an Artist (Alec #3)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Eddie Campbell has created a graphic novel about the rise and fall of the graphic novel itself, and along the way draws potent conclusions about the very nature of art. It is a graphic novel about becoming an artist and making your way in the world as an artist. The narrative teems with established luminaries as well as "would be" artists. Many are briefly examined while a...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Top Shelf Productions

To ask other readers questions about Alec, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alec

Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
378th out of 1,693 books — 4,068 voters
Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiMaus, I by Art SpiegelmanFun Home by Alison BechdelStitches by David SmallEpileptic by David B.
best memoir graphic novels
64th out of 102 books — 191 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
Aug 26, 2007 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with excellent eyesight
Not to be a grouchy old biddy, but I find Eddie Campbell books moderately difficult to read because of the teeny tiny lettering. It was worth it for From Hell, but just reading about Eddie's exploits in '80s comic land in .7 font makes me want to shake my walker at him. Also, I hate New York Public Library, because this book had three pages torn out of it at various intervals, and my hate extends to Amazon "Search Inside the Book," which made me jump from computer to computer evading their strin...more
PJ Ebbrell
Utterly brilliant book. Made me get out my dreams and start working on comics.Eddie Campbell chronicle the period of comics that I know so well.
Deodand
I occasionally found Campbell's drawing style roughened and scribbled to the point of incomprehensibility in From Hell - it's nice to see that he can also manage space well. I like how some of the drawings have literally almost no lines. And yet, you get the point.

This would be a terrific book for comic/graphic novel rookies. The recommendations in the back alone are excellent - and Eddie should know what he's talking about, he was there. This is a funny, witty autobiography.
Kyle
How To Be An Artist is a fascinating and entertaining account of Eddie Campbell's career, from a poor unknown artist selling photocopies of his comics at a local shop to the illustrator of the acclaimed From Hell. The book is full of insights into the world of underground British comics in the 80s and features appearances by a number of great comics creators from around the world. People unfamiliar with the comics industry may find it tedious, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Jason
By far the least essential installment of Eddie/Alec's autobio, and might be best skipped for anyone not already invested in 80s-90s comics-industry nerddom. But if you do remember (or have historical interest) in that world, well worth reading!
Scott
First third, the beginning of his career, and the last third, where he discusses more reknown artists like Alan Moore, David Sims, and others, were the interesting parts of this book.
Deborah
I really struggled through this, but trudged on because I wanted to learn more about the comic industry as well as the life of the struggling artist...Wish I could say I liked it more...
Korynn
Mr. Campbell retells his life and his work in comics alongside a history of the evolution of modern comics within the last thirty years. A fine piece of work and very inspiring.
Patrick Artazu
"You'll draw into the wee hours, originality and skill in inverse proportion, as always, as everywhere, reaching towards the moment when they change places."
Wallace
A poignant review of the rise and fall of the comic book industry during the eighties. Eddie Campbell's bitterness toward super hero comics is obvious
Agustin
Comics at their best, with a formidable intellect at the helm.
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Charlie Pfaff
Charlie Pfaff marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Gary Gardiner
Gary Gardiner marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Cat Armijos
Cat Armijos marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Flor
Flor marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Cat_bandit
Cat_bandit marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
bookster
bookster marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Sabot
Sabot marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Котя
Котя marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Kin
Kin marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Al Dorey
Al Dorey marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Eddie Campbell has earned an international following. For over 25 years, he has blazed a trail in the world of graphic novels, and his work has earned nearly every honor in the field, including the Eisner, Ignatz, and Harvey awards.

With Alan Moore he created the towering opus From Hell, later adapted by Hollywood. Among the multitude of solo works he has produced, the epic series Bacchus brings th...more
More about Eddie Campbell...
The Fate of the Artist The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard The Black Diamond Detective Agency Alec: The Years Have Pants Alec: The King Canute Crowd