Start by marking “Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales: A Treasury of Children's Classics” as Want to Read:
Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales: A Treasury of Children's Classics

Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales: A Treasury of Children's Classics (Hardcover Read-alouds)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Jack and the Beanstalk, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, the Little Red Hen, and nine other tales are brought to life in this superb treasury. The delightful characters will become storyland friends for life for children who meet them here. Just wait until your child sees the Giant's expression as he cries, "Fee, fi, fo, fum," or the adorable Elves dancing in the Shoemaker' ...more
Published October 14th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mary Engelbreit's Nursery Tales

Ashley
My mother has passed on her love for all things Mary Engelbreit to me. This is a well-illustrated collection of classic nursery tales, like Red Riding Hood, Puss in Boots, and Goldilocks. I love the illustrations and the way in which the stories are presented. These are stories every child should know!
Carol
If you need a great gift book for a 3-6 year old - here it is! This is a beautifully illustrated nursery tale book, with all the great stories that every preschooler needs to hear. The stories are nicely written to be shorter rather than longer, and each story can be read aloud in several minutes. The illustrations make it fun and less scary. Even Hansel and Gretel is easy to read and hear because of the cuteness of the pictures and the brief telling of their finishing off the witch.
I bought thi
Gwen
Classic fairy tales. I like the large pages, large type and adorable illustrations.
Rebecca
Jul 28, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preschool and up
Recommended to Rebecca by: Julie
I had a couple moments of "wait! that's not how the story goes!" but if you are looking for a sunny, happy collection of slightly-sanitized favorites, this is your book. (If not, go straight for Lucy Cousins' Yummy Eight favorite fairy tales.) I don't always like the Mary Engelbreit empire of calendars and things, but her illustrations here are wonderful and make me want to hug the book, then buy it for a preschooler. (Julie M. used some of these stories for draw-me-a-story scripts)

"Engelbreit k
Annie
I got this for our daughters last year after looking at a few different books of fairy tales with illustrations. There are twelve of the classic stories here and they are gently told with very little blood or violence. For instance, the wolf doesn't eat any of the three little pigs, they just run away. Hansel and Gretel aren't abandoned in the woods, instead their mother asked them to look for berries and they got lost. As always, Engelbreit's illustrations are beautiful, fanciful, and detailed, ...more
Becky H.
Another wonderful book by Mary Engelbreit. This has been fun to read before bed with my daughter. It includes beautifully illustrated stories including; Goldilocks and the three bears -- The three little pigs -- Puss in Boots -- Little Red Riding Hood -- The emperor's new clothes -- Hansel and Gretel -- The city mouse and the country mouse -- Jack and the beanstalk -- The gingerbread boy -- The elves and the shoemaker -- The little red hen -- The ugly duckling.
Heidi
I blogged about wanting this book back at Christmas time. I got it and I have absolutely loved it. Fairy tales have always been a favorite of mine and I love Mary Englebreit's artwork, so I was sure this would be a hit and it didn't disappoint. The thing that I really love about this collection of fairy tales is that the stories are fairly simple and there are lots of pictures. Three and Four year olds seem to always love fairy tales, but so many of the fairy tale collections have few pictures a ...more
Tara
This is a great book. The tales are familiar and told just the right way with just the right length. They are the "nice" versions (in Little Red Riding Hood the huntsman doesn't cut the wolf open to get Grandma and Red out, he just scares the wolf into letting them out of his belly), but I suppose that's okay for wee ones ;-).

The best part of the book is the illustrations, they are fabulous!!! This is a book that I want for my son's collection and I think it will get read over and over again.
Marjorie Campbell
Lovely illustrations of the stories generations have all grown up on. Somewhat sanitised for the younger reader. Ideal before bed length so you can get one or two stories in before bedfordshire. I would highly recommend it.
April
This fairy tale treasury is nonviolent; thus it is not for the purist. However, it is a very sweet and cozy introduction to fairy tales for toddlers and preschoolers. My almost three year old son was captivated by the pictures.
Anaeka
It feels like the stories have been abridged and modified beyond recognition and that they are an after thought to the illustrations. Even the illustrations, while good, are not particularly memorable.
Westerville
"I had a couple moments of "wait! that's not how the story goes!" but if you are looking for a sunny, happy collection of slightly-sanitized favorites, this is your book." - Becky
Shawna
Such a great selection of classic tales! The images are colorful and sweet. We really enjoyed reading it before bed every night!
Julie
I have used this book numerous times for different programs and activities. All the tales are short and have happy endings. :)
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
The stories in this collection are perhaps quite simplified, but as you might expect the illustrations are fantastic.
Helen
Another Spencer Book. Fun artwork that he loves to look at and classic stories.
Mary
This one is requested over and over by our preschooler.
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Erin
Erin added it
Dec 28, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
19054
Mary Engelbreit grew up studying the illustrations in the vintage storybooks of her mother’s childhood, and she developed a unique style that harkens back to those simpler times. Mary’s distinctive images have made her a celebrity to millions, who eagerly snap up gift items, calendars, books, fabrics, and more.

Mary’s New York Times bestselling The Night Before Christmas is part of the holiday trad
More about Mary Engelbreit...

Hardcover Read-alouds (4 books)
  • Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses
  • Mary Engelbreit's Fairy Tales: Twelve Timeless Treasures
  • Mary Engelbreit's Nutcracker
Mary Engelbreit's Mother Goose: One Hundred Best-Loved Verses Mary Engelbreit's A Merry Little Christmas: Celebrate from A to Z Queen of Halloween Mary Engelbreit: The Art And The Artist Queen of Christmas