Start by marking “Tagged” as Want to Read:
Tagged

Tagged

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  206 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Can Kate Morgan stand up for herself—without being labeled a snitch?

Kate is just as confused as her best friend, Lan, when she arrives at Cleary High to find the building's been "tagged" with a life-size graffiti mural. Could the culprit be one of their friends or classmates? And is the kind-of-amazing creation really vandalism, or a work of art? She's tempted to stay out

Published March 1st 2010 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about Tagged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tagged

Kristy
Right off the bat, I have to comment on that cover. It is horrible. It looks so cheap. It looks like two white kids desperately trying to be black and failing severely. I mean, look at those clothes and those shoes…. I’m sure actual graffiti artists would look at that and laugh… it’s just horrible. This might sound mean, but it looks like a suburban, white-picket fence mother’s notion of what an urban area looks like. It’s so bad, it’s almost offensive. The cover is an epic fail for me.
Ahh, tha
Lauren
Tagged was yet another fabulously fun read from Harlequin's new teen line, which leaves me to suspect this line can do no wrong when it comes to choosing titles!

Kate was a interesting and likable character that's voice won me over from the start. I loved that while she did sometimes have her moments of insecurity, she always ended up doing the right thing that was for the most part a brave choice. Plus I enjoyed seeing how close she was to her parents because usually you don't see the parental
Lea (YA Book Queen)
Tagged is fun, sweet, and a tad bit mysterious.

Nothing ever seems to happen in Clearly, until the graffiti art of a gorilla appears, everything changes. Debates break out in classes about whether or not the graffiti is really art, and I found these discussions to be a great interest point.

Kate was a fun, likable, and realistic character. She is just your typical high school girl, looking for her own passion in life. Kate's a good student, and she gets along with her family. I was a bit worried s
Eleni ( La Femme Readers )
More of a 3.5 Rating - Tagged was an interesting, creative and mellow toned novel. Kate, the protagonist was a likable character with a good head on her shoulders. Her best friend Lan, was an individual I would of liked to see more of in the book. Being the only Asian girl in school was tough for her. I felt bad because sometimes she was excluded at parties. But, I'm glad Kate was there to keep her strong. Eli, Kate's crush, was down to earth and cute. I really liked his personality off the bat ...more
Christy Stewart
I'm trying to rate this book according for who it is marketed toward, and in that case I think a preppy young teen would enjoy it. Sweet story, characters, nice writing style.

As for me, I recently watched a series of short films on what it is to be a teenager, 13-18, and so I couldn't help but read the book in this context, as that's what my mind is on. Nothing about the book was relatable to what I experienced at the characters' age or in their environment (urban area, public school, middle cla
April
Tagged by Mara Purnhagen isn't a book I've seen around the blogosphere too much, but I think it's just as deserving of attention as the plethora of contemporary high-school based novels I've seen. Tagged was a quick, and by quick I mean 3 hours non-stop, read. Kate Morgan is basically your average jane-high-school, except, well, her dad's the police chief, and she does what she can to blend in. Kate's boring life changes though when she shows up and someone has painted gorillas on the school wal ...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
What I liked most about this book was the plot of finding yourself and finding one another. Kate is a likable character that anyone can relate to. She's not popular but not an outcast either. I adore that she stands up for what she believes in.

The love interest in the book was unique. Both characters took their time and not rush into anything. I like how they respected each others feelings and did not go into something when they are not ready.

The plot was good and easy to fall into. I like the b
Georgiann Hennelly
A pretty good book, When spray painted Gorillas start appearing on abandoned buildings and even the local high school Kate and her friends don,t know what to think. Then as if that isn,t enough for their small town the richest girl Tiffany, is going to have her sweet 16 filmed for mtv. Kate is determined to figure out the mystery of who is painting the Gorillas everywhere. Even if it means giving up being invisable to everyone.
Aik Chien 인첸
Tagged is narrated by Kate Morgan, who is the daughter of a police chief and the best friend of a Vietnamese-American girl named Lan. When she discovers a mural of six life-size gorillas on her school wall, she is intrigued. When these gorillas kept appearing at different places, she wants to help solving the mystery. I admired Kate's way of dealing with things. I also liked the close relationship between her and her parents.

Tagged mainly discusses about the line separating 'art' and 'vandalism'
The Bookologist
With romance and mystery, Tagged is a semi-tensful novel with well-written characters, a fast-paced plot, and a refreshing premise. The relationships and friendships that happened in the novel were very interesting, but yet at the same time, realistic and connectable.

This book was almost not close to fluctuating, it was full of action the whole time. Sometimes, novels tend to have those really exciting parts, and then, the boring parts. This one is all excitement, you won't get bored at all, bec
Emilee

Judging a book by the cover:

I’m torn on this cover. While “tagged” (see definition in review) and the graffiti go well together, the graffiti in this book is not what’s thought of as “typical tagging”, it’s more a piece of art than a “vandalized surface” (which is one of the main debates in the book). It’s definitely eye-catching. So maybe it works? For me, not so much.

My Thoughts:

For those of you that don’t know the meaning of “tagged” here is what dicti
Marquetta (LoveToReadForFun)
I preface by saying that I wish Goodreads allowed half ratings. I would give this book 2.5 stars.

I thought that Tagged was a quick and easy read. The premise of the book was interesting and I liked that different characters where introduced. The story is told from Kate's point of view so you don't know what the other characters are feeling unless they have direct interaction with Kate. The book kept me interested with the vandalism plot line even though I'd pretty much figured out who was the gu
Michelle
I find Purnhagen quite reminiscent of Meg Cabot — Tagged is a well written book with a great plot and endearing, rootable characters. The romantic entanglements and situations in this story aren’t new or unique to me but I’m the first to admit that this is likely related to my age. I’m certain that middle school and many teen readers may not see how some of the twists and turns will play out quite as readily as I was able to. Regardless, of this issue I still thoroughly enjoyed the story, it was ...more
Kelsey
Tagged is a novel I might not have picked up otherwise, but I’m so glad Mara contacted me to review it! I loved it! To begin with, Mara has a writing style that is honest, funny, and believable. She pulled me into this story and kept me hooked right until the end. Kate is a character anyone can relate to. She is just a normal girl dealing with everyday high school problems. She’s an only child with two loving parents, who played very large roles in this novel, which made me very happy. Too many ...more
Stacey
What is the difference between Graffiti and Art? Mara Purnhagen takes us to Cleary, South Carolina to a town which didn't see much action until they had to answer that one question. Were the Gorillas that were found on several local businesses, including the local high school, graffiti or art? Who was the mastermind behind the Gorillas? Was it more then one person? What was the purpose behind the Gorillas?

Our main character, a very likable, Kate Morgan is who we followed throughout this adventur
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Ashley B for TeensReadToo.com

Kate Morgan arrives at Cleary High like any regular day, but this day turns out different. The school has been tagged; a mural of six gorillas resides on the side of the school building

Being the police chief's daughter, Kate tries to stay out of it. Many people are saying that the gorillas, which are also turning up on other buildings in town, and out of state, are vandalism. Are they? Or are they art?

This book was totally enjoyable from the very beginnin
Joséphine
I present to you another book that grapples with graffiti. Unlike inGraffiti Girl by Kelly Parra, The Colour of Troubleby Gerry Bobsien and getting Upby SD Thorpe, here the main character is not the one involved in graffiti. She is an innocent bystander who comes to be embroiled in the whole issue when a piece featuring gorillas goes up on one of the school walls. This book then gave an outsider's perspective on the issue.

Kate is the daughter of a cop, so she tries all the more to keep out of tr
Chelsea
Kate Morgan arrives to her small town high school one January morning to commotion over a giant graffiti gorilla that has been spray painted on the side of the building. When more gorilla grafitti shows up around town, it sparks a debate in class over art versus vandalism. The students of Cleary High spend the next few weeks debating and trying to figure out who did it- the tension culminating at an MTV televised birthday party for rich social snob Tiffany Werner. And the whole time, Kate finds ...more
Rachael
Nothing really exciting ever happens in Cleary, South Carolina until the gorillas. First, they appear on the side of a building at school, then on other buildings throughout town and even out of state. These graffitied works of art really are quite amazing; they’re incredibly lifelike and all identical. Everyone wants to know who’s behind the gorillas, but for different reasons. Some people are just in awe of this creative tagging, but others, particularly the police, want to catch the culprit f ...more
Jess
This was a fun quick read about a girl who doesn’t feel like she really know herself and has to deal with the fact that she is the chief of police’s daughter. That and she is constantly being ignored for something she couldn’t control but then things change when her town starts to get the amazing pieces of art put up all around on abandoned buildings. Who could the mysterious artist be. I like this story because it’s about a girl who doesn’t know what to do with her life. This story is a coming ...more
L.M. Preston
I read this book with my daughter who insisted that she write the review for this one.

Please enjoy this review my Neya;

The book Tagged was an interesting romance/ mystery, which is why it was a great read. The story was fun to read because you couldn’t figure out the mystery until the very end. Drama builds up in the school, between the friends, Eli’s girlfriend, and with the entire town, making the story truly unique. It’s hard to describe this story because so much is going on at one time, but
papalbina
i will leave it at 3 stars and not raise it to 3 and a half because Kate's evolution is nowhere to be found in the book besides the epilogue and that's a pity. The book would have been much more interesting if we had the opportunity to see her evolve...

anyway, in the end the story is cute and sweet and a nice light read, but it felt a bit shallow. Perhaps that is because Kate was a naive goody two-shoes that had too angst-driven behaviour sometimes (especially when related to Eli). Eli seemed t
S.R. McKade
Different and very good. Very original storyline. This book really makes you think about the stuff teenagers go through and how hard it is for them to really make a stand for themselves rather than just going with the flow.
Martha
Feb 16, 2010 Martha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teens, libraries
I just finished reading this book and really enjoyed it! I'm a librarian and know that the teens that use my branch will connect with the story - from the main character who just wants to fit in - to the snobby and self absorbed rich girl - and the whole cast of characters described so well in this book - and who you find in any high school.

The plot of the story - gorillas popping up on the walls in school and around town - was unique and fun! What a concept - really catches the imagination!

Look
Rachael Lucas
It was a great little book and I liked the ending and how it was so perfect :)
Sarah Mae
I received an electronic galley of this book from Netgalley

When spray-painted gorillas start appearing on abandoned buildings and even the local high school, Kate and her friends don't know what to think. Is it art or is it vandalism? As if their small town wasn't in enough of an uproar, the town's richest girl, Tiffany, is going to have her sweet sixteen filmed for MTV. Kate is determined to figure out the mystery of the gorillas even if it means ruining her chance to stay invisible.
Patti
A pretty good book. But not at all what I expected, even from reading the summary on the back. This is not necessarily bad; this book stands well enough on its own. I'll have to admit I was expecting a book about graffiti, not about tagging and art. I'm still learning the differences between these terms.

For the most part, this is a book about high school life, its romances and its friendships. It's a smart book too, which I enjoyed.
Emma
Being a teenager is difficult enough, more so when you are the chief of police's daughter. This is a great story about the choices one makes with what they are given. Kate needs to learn how to be herself without having to worry about all the people accusing her of "ratting" on them just because of who she is. She is able to know herself more thanks to the gorilla's being graffitied all over town and other places as well.
Judy
Yet another enjoyable read by this author! This was a great story in that it felt so fresh. The story wasn't predictable, the characters felt real and the well developed POC best friend was actually important to the main character. The romance was secondary to the theme of the book, which I think is about finding yourself.
M.
I had a difficult time focusing on this particular book. I liked the characters and that the "vandalism" caused so many of them to think about how they defined art. I loved that Kate really began to think about what she considered to be art and that she looked in so many places to find what art was to her.
  • The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams
  • Leaving Gee's Bend
  • Freaksville (Freaksville, #1)
  • The Reinvention of Edison Thomas
  • The Oracle Rebounds (The Oracle of Dating, #2)
  • Exit Strategy
  • Change of Heart
  • Poser
  • Thief Eyes
  • The Space Between Trees
Mara Purnhagen cannot live without a tall caramel latte, her iPod, or a stack of books on her night stand. She has lived in Aurora, Illinois; Kalamazoo, Michigan; Dayton, Ohio and Duncan, South Carolina. She presently lives outside Cleveland, Ohio with her family and two cats.

More about Mara Purnhagen...
Past Midnight (Past Midnight, #1) One Hundred Candles (Past Midnight, #2) Raising the Dead (Past Midnight, #1.5) Beyond the Grave (Past Midnight, #3) Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5)