Start by marking “Emergency: True Stories from the Nation's Er” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Emergency: True Storie...
Mark Brown

Emergency: True Stories from the Nation's Er

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  59 reviews
* A suicide attempt by an "explosive" young man....* The "hidden secrets" of a grotesquely obese patient....* A couple whose amorous acrobatics get out of hand....* A child brought back from the dead....Bristling with the raw power of reality, this riveting book recounts true tales of life and death from the emergency rooms of America. Dr. Mark Brown asked over 15,000 fell ...more
Hardcover, Large Print
Published May 1st 1996 by Thorndike Press (first published January 16th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Emergency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Emergency

Eva Leger
Sep 02, 2008 Eva Leger rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in medical stories
Recommended to Eva by: myself
This consists of doctors and nurses sharing stories with the readers and I very much like the way it's put together. When I found out the type of book this was I expected it to be put into neat little driving related accidents, SIDS deaths, and other disasters. In the beginning a doctor mentions that it isn't like that in an ER and that you never know what's coming through the doors and when. That is how the book is shared. You can go from laughing so hard to doing everythin ...more
This is one of my absolute favorite books, and I've read it so often that the inner piece of the front cover has come loose from its binding. Because it is broken down into many short pieces, it is the kind of book I can pick up for a few minutes at a time or read it cover to cover in one sitting. I have laughed over the humorous stories and been saddened by the tragic ones.
In an era of HIPAA and other restricted privacy laws, I've found more recent medical books to be bland and watered down whe
I've had this book for quite some time & have re-read it more than once. Each time I'm struck by how true to life most of the stories are & how many I've experienced in the time I've worked at my hospital ER. The only trouble? Some of these stories are known urban legends.

This book collects several stories, some of which are sad, some infuriating, some hilarious. One of the stories that always seems to stick with me is the one about the insane violinist. It's a truly sad story, that one.
Elizabeth Nesbit-comer
I love emergency room stories. There need to be so many more books like this
Koko Odya
As an ICU RN this was a very fun read. It's composed of short stories experienced by nurses and doctors across the country. Some of the stories are hilarious while others are heart breaking. It talks about how grueling night shift and life in the ER can be. Many of these stories have/could also been seen in the ICU. It was a very fun and a very fast read. If anyone has a family member in the medical field I encourage you to read this. It's well written and gives a little insight to the horrific ...more
Apr 04, 2014 Pam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I purchased my first copy of this book in hardback. I believe it was 1996. I still have it, but it's falling apart from so many people reading it. I was working the night shift back then as the admitting clerk in ER. I experienced so many emotions reading and re-reading these short stories. I was especially excited to find one about someone from my small town - even thou the medical treatment happened in Seattle.
Maybe I loved this book so much because I worked in the medical field, but honestly
Debi Montana
Riveted to this book! Chris is thinking about a medical career and picked out all these books in the bookstore and library- I was worried that they might be too graphic so started reading some of them first- sooo hooked! while I might not ever go to the hospital again without nightmares... I can't stop reading these short stories about all kinds of ER situations. Read it in one night- crazy!
Would have been better without the handful of urban legends and painfully old email forward jokes about how "lol this woman was so fat we found a remote in her vagina and she couldn't even feel it!"
Melissa Fowler
Loved it! There are some stories in here that made me cringe, laugh, cry. This book is my right down my alley. I've shared many of these stories with my nursing students in post conference.
I absolutely loved this. These kinds of books are always my favorites. I want to be a nurse and this book has officially made me want to work in the emergency room.
Read this book. Seriously.

It's hilarious, sad, optimistic, amazing, and offers an incredible insight into a profession that often does the impossible.
I finished this book wondering if it was funny and poignant to me because I've been exposed to medical humor all my life. Having read a few snippets of it to friends and such now, I think it's actually just laugh-out-loud funny sometimes.
This is a collection edited by Dr. Brown of stories from the ER nurses and Docs around America. Many of them are hilarious, some of them highlight the frustrating powerlessness that doctors are often confronted with, and some are tear-jerkers. Most of them are p
At times funny, heart-wrenching, and just plain bizarre, it's a collection of stories from emergency room doctors and nurses, each of whom bring their own personality and often wit to the situation. Other times, it's heart-wrenchingly sad to read, both in terms of the events themselves and the detachment necessary in order to work such positions; it's a stark reminder that those who see people at their worst or, even, at their last are human too.
Read this book back in the early 90's and have really wanted to read it again because it is so good. Mark gives an enjoyable insight to what crazy things happen in the ER. A must read for all that have been or will be treated at an ER.
This is a fun book to read but I had to laugh when I read the book description when it said that it was "Bristling with the raw power of reality." It is a collections of short stories told by many different ER doctors and health care providers. All of them short none of them "Bristling" with anything. How can a story thats 4 pages long bristle. Nothing wrong with the book it was interesting and easy to put down and pick up again. It took me about 3 years to read because there is nothing compelli ...more
Beth Cato
I bought this for research purposes for my novel. I didn't end up getting any information out of it in that regard, but it was a fascinating read. This book was published in 1996 in the heyday of the TV show ER, and is an anthology of different bizarre, funny, or sad incidents submitted by doctors and nurses from across the U.S. I felt rather voyeuristic while reading, but the material was so intriguing that I couldn't resist reading more. The stories range the regular drunks that filter through ...more
Homo Sapien
This book was filled with humorous and heart-stopping stories about ERs and the doctors, nurses, and patients that inhabit them.

The stories range from grotesque humor (you get used to that by the end of the book) to serious illness and stories that let us peak into the unknown world of the ER. Each account is written in a simple but effective style to give a clear picture of the ER. More than once it had me stunned at the difficulty doctors and nurses face when caring for patients and their fam
Fans of medical shows like ER or Grays Anatomy will appreciate this compilation of short essays written by real ER physicians and nurses. Funny at times and thought provoking and certainly irreverent
Glenn Banks DDS
this was very entertaining. I liked the short stories, some very funny, others sad, few of questionable legal or ethical actions by doctors but most just good old fun.
Amanda Capp
I wish that the stories were a tad bit longer. I did enjoy reading the book, and it kept me entertained. However some of the stories were not even like 3 sentences long. But it was a good read, and some stories were funny, some were very sad. Just a all around decent read.
Although interesting, this book wasn't what I expected. I thought all of the stories would be hilarious and outrageous tales of ER shenanigans. There were some of those, but there were just as many heart-wrenching stories of families losing loved ones, children dying, all the worst things you can imagine happening in the ER. I cried several times reading this. (Granted, I had PMS, so maybe you'll be stronger.)

The stories were well-written and compelling, and provided a well-rounded view of what
Interesting if you want to have a quick read under 5 minutes. Some of the stories were fantastic: emotionally driven, humorous and witty.
Jennifer S
Two and a half stars. Wasn't about the medical side of ER. More about funny stories...
Monica Willyard
These stories are by turns funny, weird, and absolutely heartbreaking.
Rather random and way too graphic and disgusting.
This book was an interesting peek into the inner workings of an emergency room.
What amazes me is how some doctors remain by choice in that particular field for years and years. The stress and burnout rate has to be beyond the pale.
I recommend this book for anyone who hasn't had the misfortune to visit an emergency room. It's an eye opener.
I especially liked the format of the book where doctors across the country contributed some of their experiences while on ER duty.
Savannah Darling
This was a short but highly amusing read. I finished it in a few hours on a lazy day, and it was definitely time well spent. While most of the stories are short and generally amusing, there are also some stories with deeper meaning and reflection. Overall, it was a fun read and a great way to learn some of the jokes and lingo of the emergency department. It was especially cool because, soon after, I got the chance to shadow in the ED and compare notes!
An interesting collection of stories and vignettes about emergency rooms across the country.
Some of the stories are very funny, some very sad, some revolting, and others heart warming.
If you have ever worked in medicine, you know how true it is that you never know what is going to come through the doors. You also know that people and what they do is unbeliebable.
Very much a page-turner. I actually think of this book every time I walk into an emergency room (sadly, it's been quite a few times). I would imagine there could be an update to this book on a yearly basis! Interesting, funny, sad, and touching (and sometimes eewww inspiring). Very much recommended for a quick, entertaining read.
Some of these are sad, but others are down right hilarious! I wonder what goes through people's minds to make them think they should do what they're doing. Especially when it is something crazy. This is a good read for anyone who is interested in the goings on of the E.R. or likes the craziness of Untold Stories of the E.R.
  • Just Here Trying to Save a Few Lives: Tales of Life and Death from the ER
  • Match Day: One Day and One Dramatic Year in the Lives of Three New Doctors
  • Angels in the ER: Inspiring True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • Singular Intimacies: Becoming a Doctor at Bellevue
  • First, Do No Harm: The Dramatic Story of Real Doctors and Patients Making Impossible Choices at a Big-City Hospital
  • Walk on Water: The Miracle of Saving Children's Lives
  • Nursing Against the Odds: How Health Care Cost Cutting, Media Stereotypes, and Medical Hubris Undermine Nurses and Patient Care
  • Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School