Start by marking “A Fine Romance: Jewish Songwriters, American Songs” as Want to Read:
A Fine Romance: Jewish Songwriters, American Songs

A Fine Romance: Jewish Songwriters, American Songs

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Part of the Jewish Encounter series

In A Fine Romance, David Lehman looks at the formation of the American songbook—the timeless numbers that became jazz standards, iconic love songs, and sound tracks to famous movies—and explores the extraordinary fact that this songbook was written almost exclusively by Jews.

An acclaimed poet, editor, and cultural critic, David Lehman hea
Published October 6th 2009 by Schocken (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Fine Romance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fine Romance

m
Jun 11, 2012 m rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: musique
Until the halfway point of this book, despite glossing over whole pages except for the song-title name-dropping, I was prepared to be charitable with a three-star review. But as with so many who celebrate the era of the jazz standard, he moves on to complete denigration of everything that came after.

He happily quotes someone who says Elvis was music for ten-year-olds, just a notch above nursery rhymes, a byproduct of a culture when music had been so commoditized that children could afford to buy
Mitchell
On page 115 of this book, David Lehman writes, ' I will write up my love of American popular song and its Jewish creators and I will write it straight, leaving myself out of it.' If only he did!

By this point in the book we are accosted by fictional interviews with the great song and lyric writers, inconsequential autobiographical anectdotes as well as cringe-inducing flights of fancy such as his imagining Harold Arlen and Jerome Kern as his uncles Harry and Jerry at his childhood synagogue.

Perh
Dan
I loved this book! The author's love for the Great American Songbook, which was created largely by Jewish immigrants and their children, shines through in virtually every sentence. This is not a an abstract scholarly work; it is personal story, full of passion and the kind of insights that come only to one who truly loves the subject matter with all of her/his heart.

And what a tale, of assimilation and ambiguity and wit and urbanity and art and extraordinary talent.
Mary
This tries to be too many different things--from personal memoir to the
history of Jewish influence on American popular music from Old Testament
times to Bob Dylan. Sometimes interesting, sometimes just a catalog of
what you could look up more easily by googling. Nice try though.
Lawrence Epstein
This is just a great book. You can hear the songs as you read. David Lehman is not just filled with knowledge, not just a wonderful writer, but a true fan. His love of the material comes through on every page.
Carrie
Fun read about the classics, what the author calls Broadway's golden age. Sort of wish he'd kept going and talked about Sondheim, but I understand how that doesn't really fit into his arc. Yaaaay Jews.
Laurie
Interesting mix of personal history and the songs and their writers.
Dorianne Laux
Really great so far. Takes me back to the songs of my childhood.
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Lisen
Lisen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Melanie Wulfekuhle
Melanie Wulfekuhle marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Thomas Baird
Thomas Baird marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Marcy Heller
Marcy Heller marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Nicho
Nicho marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Ann
Ann added it
Feb 28, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Chiara Shea
Chiara Shea marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jan 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
David Lehman is a poet and the series editor for The Best American Poetry series. He teaches at The New School in New York City.
More about David Lehman...
Great American Prose Poems: From Poe to the Present The Oxford Book of American Poetry The Last Avant-Garde: The Making of the New York School of Poets The Best American Poetry 2013 The Daily Mirror