Start by marking “Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)” as Want to Read:
Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  748 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Presents the rugged and charming island, Ireland. Offering essential information and hundreds of reviews for restaurants, shopping, nightlife and hotels in Ireland, this title helps to make your trip to Ireland both effortless and memorable.
Published (first published September 28th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ireland

carl  theaker

With thoughts of visiting Ireland this year I purchased
"Frommer's Ireland" 2012 and picked up from the library
"Eyewitness Travel Ireland" and "Rick Steves' Ireland"
to compare and glean extra helpful hints.

I've always liked the Frommer's guides. They seem geared for
a range of middle-class budgets, adventures and sensibilities.
"Fodors Guides" appear to be for the higher price range, and
I've graduated from the college angled "Let's Go" and eat the
leftovers from a cafeteria tray and sleep in a hos
Jackie Keating
Dec 29, 2015 Jackie Keating rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detailed descriptions of Ireland by region
Steven Peterson
Mar 26, 2011 Steven Peterson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DK's Eyewitness Travel series is outstanding. Glossy and rich production, great pictures, good maps. Like most travel guides, the book has several segments. I am reviewing the 2011 version, by the way. It opens with background material on Ireland. Then, area by area, beginning with Dublin. Then the Southeast of the country, Cork and Kerry, the Lower Shannon, the west, northwest Ireland, the Midlands, and--finally--Northern Ireland. The book then considers travelers’ needs--where to stay, where t ...more
Harold
Mar 09, 2008 Harold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone planning a trip to Ireland
DK travel guides are amazing, something like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the fictitious book-within-the-book, not the Douglas Adams book about it) and the Junior Woodchucks' Guide rolled into one. These slim volumes are crammed with information, hints, tips, maps, pictures - almost everything a traveler needs to navigate through a foreign land. My main experience was with the DK Ireland Travel Guide, which served as a road map, culinary guide, and even as a campus map at Trinity Coll ...more
Sandy
Dec 01, 2014 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my go-to series of books when it comes to travel guides. First, they're small & lightweight so easy to carry with you on you trip. They contain many easy to read maps of various towns & cities that show details of streets, attractions & bus/train routes to help with ground transfers.
I really enjoy the history & background provided for sites. When purchased prior to travelling, they help me decide what I want to see & how to plan the route for my trip. This one contai
Orion
Feb 14, 2013 Orion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a well made paperback book, designed to be used by the vacationing traveler. It follows the standard format of the DK guide series. I did not read the whole book, but read the chapters with general information about the country and some of the area-specific chapters. As usual for DK, the graphics are very impressive and the content is interesting. "Ireland" describes most of the major sites but does not delve into the more obscure ones. I read the book as an easy way to better acquaint m ...more
Alissa Nolan
Aug 18, 2014 Alissa Nolan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The pictures in this guide are great and both my children and I enjoyed this guide. It is not as specific as some other guides, but does include broad area maps.
Marija S.
The photos are nice but that's about it. The guide's layout is confusing and non-informative, also lacks good maps.
Stephanie
Jun 11, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Definitely need to go through it a few more times to get all the details.
Maps, pictures, and other illustrations were very helpful. Especially with a book full of a lot of information, it's good to have visuals.
Sara
If you can only take one guidebook to Ireland with you, take this one.
Alexia
Jun 18, 2014 Alexia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful for our trip
Amanda Silvia
Dec 19, 2013 Amanda Silvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I brought this book and Rick Steves' Ireland 2013 with me when my husband and I went to Ireland in May/June of this year to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. I loved this travel guide, with its glossy color pages and succinct descriptions of all the tourist sites. I used it multiple times a day and preferred it over Rick Steves' Ireland 2013 guidebook. Since we had rented a car, I didn't mind carrying two books around with us, since each one had its own strengths.
Apr 15, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Shelby Frail
We started using this book about 1/2 way through our trip when Rick Steves wore out his usefulness. Beautiful photographs and illustrations mixed with helpful reviews. I will definitely buy more of these for future travels. Thanks Shelby for buying this for me.
Daniel Clark
Oct 03, 2012 Daniel Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I loveeee this book! Guess I'm predgist. I'm Irish! This book is easy to read, put together in good order, with frrrreat pics!!! Read it now!!! Don't forget to read the 2012 version of it.
Lorie
Mar 19, 2008 Lorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This is the primary book I used for my tip to Ireland in 32003, and it was WONDERFUL. Great pictures, excellent descriptions and current information.
Lisa
Oct 02, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Informative and interesting. Although I read it just for pure enjoyment, it is a great guide for traveling. I'll be coming for you soon, Ireland!
AK

incl beautiful illustrations and is a good source for a weekend or longer stay in beautiful ireland
Moonburst
I hate travel books. However, this one will definitely be useful during my stay in Ireland.
Christine Barry
Apr 18, 2009 Christine Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good comprehensive guide covering every bit of Ireland. Love this travel book series!
Yulia Nastenko
Oct 03, 2013 Yulia Nastenko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lynn Cooper
Apr 27, 2012 Lynn Cooper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great detail about where to go and what to do.
Peggie
Sep 04, 2013 Peggie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Getting so excited for our trip!!!
Yuki Shimmyo
Oct 09, 2009 Yuki Shimmyo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, eire
1997 & 2003 editions
Andre
Andre rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2016
Austen
Austen added it
Jul 18, 2016
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Becca
Becca added it
Jul 11, 2016
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
  • Great Britain
  • France
  • Amsterdam (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Scotland (revised) (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Portugal (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Paris
  • Italy
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Australia
  • Rome
  • Top 10 London (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Vienna