Start by marking “Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)” as Want to Read:
Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  494 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Presents the rugged and charming island, Ireland. Offering essential information and hundreds of reviews for restaurants, shopping, nightlife and hotels in Ireland, this title helps to make your trip to Ireland both effortless and memorable.
Published (first published December 20th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ireland

carl  theaker

With thoughts of visiting Ireland this year I purchased
"Frommer's Ireland" 2012 and picked up from the library
"Eyewitness Travel Ireland" and "Rick Steves' Ireland"
to compare and glean extra helpful hints.

I've always liked the Frommer's guides. They seem geared for
a range of middle-class budgets, adventures and sensibilities.
"Fodors Guides" appear to be for the higher price range, and
I've graduated from the college angled "Let's Go" and eat the
leftovers from a cafeteria tray and sleep in a hos
Steven Peterson
DK's Eyewitness Travel series is outstanding. Glossy and rich production, great pictures, good maps. Like most travel guides, the book has several segments. I am reviewing the 2011 version, by the way. It opens with background material on Ireland. Then, area by area, beginning with Dublin. Then the Southeast of the country, Cork and Kerry, the Lower Shannon, the west, northwest Ireland, the Midlands, and--finally--Northern Ireland. The book then considers travelers’ needs--where to stay, where t ...more
Harold
Mar 09, 2008 Harold rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone planning a trip to Ireland
DK travel guides are amazing, something like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the fictitious book-within-the-book, not the Douglas Adams book about it) and the Junior Woodchucks' Guide rolled into one. These slim volumes are crammed with information, hints, tips, maps, pictures - almost everything a traveler needs to navigate through a foreign land. My main experience was with the DK Ireland Travel Guide, which served as a road map, culinary guide, and even as a campus map at Trinity Colle ...more
Orion
This is a well made paperback book, designed to be used by the vacationing traveler. It follows the standard format of the DK guide series. I did not read the whole book, but read the chapters with general information about the country and some of the area-specific chapters. As usual for DK, the graphics are very impressive and the content is interesting. "Ireland" describes most of the major sites but does not delve into the more obscure ones. I read the book as an easy way to better acquaint m ...more
Alissa Nolan
The pictures in this guide are great and both my children and I enjoyed this guide. It is not as specific as some other guides, but does include broad area maps.
Marija S.
The photos are nice but that's about it. The guide's layout is confusing and non-informative, also lacks good maps.
Alexia
Very useful for our trip
Amanda Silvia
I brought this book and Rick Steves' Ireland 2013 with me when my husband and I went to Ireland in May/June of this year to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. I loved this travel guide, with its glossy color pages and succinct descriptions of all the tourist sites. I used it multiple times a day and preferred it over Rick Steves' Ireland 2013 guidebook. Since we had rented a car, I didn't mind carrying two books around with us, since each one had its own strengths.
Apr 15, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: Shelby Frail
We started using this book about 1/2 way through our trip when Rick Steves wore out his usefulness. Beautiful photographs and illustrations mixed with helpful reviews. I will definitely buy more of these for future travels. Thanks Shelby for buying this for me.
Daniel Clark

I loveeee this book! Guess I'm predgist. I'm Irish! This book is easy to read, put together in good order, with frrrreat pics!!! Read it now!!! Don't forget to read the 2012 version of it.
Lorie
This is the primary book I used for my tip to Ireland in 32003, and it was WONDERFUL. Great pictures, excellent descriptions and current information.
Anke

incl beautiful illustrations and is a good source for a weekend or longer stay in beautiful ireland
Moonburst
I hate travel books. However, this one will definitely be useful during my stay in Ireland.
Christine Barry
A good comprehensive guide covering every bit of Ireland. Love this travel book series!
Yulia Nastenko
Lynn Cooper
Great detail about where to go and what to do.
Peggie
Getting so excited for our trip!!!
Yuki
1997 & 2003 editions
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
  • Great Britain
  • Italy
  • France
  • Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Amsterdam (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • New York
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • Scotland (revised) (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Paris
  • Rome
  • Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Prague
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • Rick Steves' Ireland 2007 (Rick Steves' Country Guides)
  • National Geographic Guide to the National Parks of the United States
  • Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die
Portrait of Ireland Ireland 2014 (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide) Venice (Insight Guides) Insight Guides: Sicily Insight Guide Sicily