Start by marking “Ehrensache (Sunny Randall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ehrensache (Sunny Randall, #1)

Ehrensache (Sunny Randall #1)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,942 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Here Parker, author of the classic Spenser series, creates a new character -- young, smart, and female. Her name is Sunny Randall, a former cop turned Boston P.I. Hired by a wealthy family, Sunny finds herself the bodyguard for a difficult teenager who refuses to return to her family, an assignment that leads to uncovering a criminal conspiracy that reaches to the top of t ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 2002 by Ullstein Tb (first published September 6th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ehrensache, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ehrensache

Izzy Moreau
Jun 10, 2013 Izzy Moreau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine that you are losing your eyesight. You know that you can read only a limited number of books before things become too blurry to distinguish one word from another. Would you alter the criteria you have in selecting books to read? Probably. Would you give up on a book sooner if it didn't lure you in in the first couple of dozen pages? You bet you would.

In fact, that was the situation I found myself in when I picked up Robert Parker’s Family Honor. I had never read a Parker book before. I h
Jerry
May 28, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We almost immediately liked Sunny Randall when we met her in the Jesse Stone outing “Split Image”, in which she carried about a third of that novel with a case of her own. So it was not much of a stretch to seek out Sunny’s debut outing “Family Honor”, which, pleasantly, we enjoyed very much as anticipated. Like the Stone stories, the dialogue is pithy and often witty, with a plot just intriguing enough to please. Sunny is a somewhat complicated Boston private eye and fine arts painter; she’s di ...more
David
Jun 01, 2010 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: completed
Robert Parker has an interesting style that carries through to all of his books. First, his chapters are short and each chapters changes the scene slightly. I despise an author who ends a chapter in the middle of a dialogue and begins a new chapter to complete the dialogue. Parker's style invites the reader to just read another chapter. Second, his novels are formulaic in that they rely on threat and bluster to carry the story. Though this works GREAT in his western novels (Appalosa, for example ...more
Tony
FAMILY HONOR. (1999). Robert B. Parker. ***.
I was a big fan of Parker and his Spenser series. He had a huge talent for telling a story and making it move forward quickly in such a way that the reader was held captive until the end. In this novel – the first featuring his ‘new’ protagonist, Sunny Randall – we get to meet Spenser’s analog. This was also the first Sunny Randall novel I have read; no real reason except that I had stopped following Parker’s works. It is a shame that we lost him while
FrankieReads
Jan 24, 2015 FrankieReads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent hard boiled mystery read. I'm so excited to read more from this series. For those who are fans of the Spenser series by Robert B. Parker, Sunny Randall with feel like a comfortably familiar detective. However, she's got her own back story, love interests, and a handful of eccentric friends. Of course (This IS a Robert B. Parker novel) the book had an engaging plot with suitably vicious villains.
Mary
Mar 18, 2009 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This first book in the Sunny Randall series was a hard to put down read. Sunny Randall is a Boston P.I. and former cop, a college graduate, an aspiring painter, a divorcee, and the owner of a miniature bull terrier named Rosie.
Linda
Apr 05, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more my speed than the "Spenser" novels. Written in the 90's, it uses less description of the non-essential characters by race, though that will still crop up once or twice. Sunny's bff (next to her ex-husband, Richie) is gay, and there's some pretty progressive banter between him and the runaway under Sunny's wing as to what makes a man a "real" man, and stereotypes of gay men. As with the Spencer novels, there's still a focus on characters' clothing (what an interesting panorama of US fas ...more
Tristy
Mar 05, 2011 Tristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scavenged
The only reason this book gets two stars instead of one is that the main character, Sunny Randall, is actually pretty awesome. She's sassy and interesting and solves crimes with her Boston Terrier. Sadly, the writing is horrendous. It's actually more written like a screenplay or a pitch for a television show (and I think it would make a good one, actually). I mean, there are pages and pages of dialogue that looks like this:

"Do you like her?" Julie said.
"No."
"Why not?"
"I can't say."
"Because you d
Shad Young
I've been reading Parker's Spenser series for about four months now and have more or less enjoyed every one of them.

I found this book at a used book store and thought I'd give it a try to see how Parker would do with a female P.I. in the same Boston environment that I've enjoyed reading about with Spenser.

Not long into the book it occured to me that Sunny Randall is Spenser with ovaries. Sure she's not a physically imposing as Spenser but the attitude and sharp tongue are there.

Roughly two weeks
Renee
Sunny Randall: likeable and flawed. Bring on the next in the series!
Charles
May 30, 2015 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sonya (Sunny) Randall is the daughter of a retired cop, ex-wife of Richie who is the son of a mobster, beautiful, yet capable of deadly force and a private investigator in the Boston area. She is also a painter and pursuing a degree in the fine arts. The parents of Millicent Patton, a fifteen-year-old girl who has run away from home, hire her. Sunny immediately realizes that all is not well in the Patton household, as there seems to be no great concern or passion in her parents regarding her dis ...more
Greg
Dec 06, 2014 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book one of the Sunny Randall series gets off to a great start. We meet and fall in love with Sunny herself in the prologue and by the end of chapter one, we see that she has just evolved from a painful but relatively docile divorce from the love of her life and taken up the role of Private Detective. She hates her sister, loves her Dad to bits and can barely put up with her Mom.

This story, however, revolves around a missing fifteen year old girl that the very well-to-do Patton family have hire
Yeva
May 01, 2012 Yeva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read Robert Parker's Sunny Randall books, I almost think Mr. Parker is bisexual or at least part woman. Sunny Randall seems so real - runs in her hose, descriptions of outfits, and the way she feels about Richie... I love Robert Parker's characters, and Sunny Randall is definitely a favorite. This is was great book - lots of action, great relationships, and pithy dialogue. Who could ask for anything more?
Chris May
Robert Parker supposedly started this series writing a character for Helen Hunt to play in a movie version of the book. It's very "Robert Parker." There's a P.I. (Female this time) a shrink, (who is good friends with the PI) and a love interest. (who happens to be her ex-husband, who is connected to the mob)

Sunny Randall is an amalgamation of Spenser and Jesse Stone (no addiction struggles, but same can't-live with them, can't live without them struggles with her ex as Stone, Same desire to be i
Steve
Apr 02, 2014 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this Sunny Randall character whilst reading a Jesse Stone story so after finishing the Jesse Stone book I checked out Sunny Randall. I found that it was a whole series of books by Robert B Parker so I decided to wade in and read the first book in the series, Family Honor. What a great read but in fairness and I don’t think it’s unkind but Sunny is a female version of Jesse Stone as they have much in common no wonder the got on so well. She smart, attractive and still madly in love ...more
John Marsh
Mar 28, 2016 John Marsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeremy
Aug 06, 2008 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sunny Randall is a former cop who has become a private eye. She’s left her husband and is in the process of getting a divorce. Her husband is a member of a Boston crime family, and she has trouble with his associates. As a policeman, her father had been trying to put his family in prison, and this was a huge conflict in Sunny’s marriage. Sunny is hired by a rich couple whose 15 year old daughter has run away. The father trying to become governor but when Sunny starts checking, it turns out their ...more
Guy
Jun 16, 2008 Guy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert B. Parker - Family Honor (1999). Veelschrijver Parker kan geen slecht boek schrijven. Family Honor, het eerste deel van de recent opgestarte ‘Sunny Randall’-serie is volledig wat ik ervan verwachtte: luchtig, slim en funny as fuck. Zonder steeds gebruik te moeten maken van vergezochte oneliners slaagt Parker er toch steeds in om met enkele beschrijvingen, typeringen en gejaagde dialogen indruk te maken. Zijn personages zijn eigenlijk niet meer dan karikaturen; ze spuwen ad remme nonsens a ...more
Robert Beveridge
When you know from the outset that a writer wrote a book solely for the film rights, and wrote the main character for a particular actor, you can prepare yourself for what's coming. Such is the case with Family Honor, which was written for Helen Hunt. (It's already, of course, been optioned.)

Parker is, of course, best known for the Spenser novels, but when he chooses to get away from them, more often than not his main character is a recognizably different person than Spenser is. Sure, Spenser an
I absolutely adore Robert B. Parker's books and have for years. Sunny Randall is Parker's first female private eye, but she has much in common with Spenser and Jesse Stone while still being her own character. She believes in being as self-sufficient as possible, but doesn't have the same set moral code that Spenser does. Like Jesse she's working through a divorce that hasn't ended the relationship with her ex, but she doesn't have the same alcohol problems and she has a much more secure support ...more
Jen
Jan 08, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Parker introduces Sunny Randall in this mystery. She's a private detective hired by Broch and Betty Patton to find their daughter Millicent who has run away. Finding Millicent isn't the hard part, keeping her alive is. Sunny's gay friend Spike and her ex-husband Richie join the effort to protect this young girl from the men out to kill her.

Sunny Randall is a great character. She is so dynamic - one minute a budding artist and the next a super sleuth. She's willing to try things to be able
Siv30
סאני רנדל היא ציירת וחוקרת פרטית. היא נשכרת ע"י משפחה עשירה לאתר את מיליסנט הבת המתבגרת שלהם שברחה מהבית וירדה לזנות. אבל מיליסנט לא רוצה לשוב לביתה וסאני מגלה שהבעיות שלה רק החלו.

סאני נעזרת בקסמים האישיים שלה, בגרוש שלה ובידיד שלה ספייק לפתור את התעלומה.
כמיטב המסורת של פרקר ב. רוברט, למרות שהספר קליל הוא לא מזלזל באינטליגנציה של הקוראים. הוא לא ספר מתח במובן הרגיל וכבר בערך באמצעיתו יודעים את התשובה לכל שאלה, אבל הוא קולח, הדמויות עגולות ואפילו עמוקות.

בהחלט ספר ראוי לשם ניקוי מוח.
Gilek
Dec 07, 2014 Gilek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
when I finished, I thought; "I look forward to reading this again". .lighthearted. funny. nice easy to see moral plays. charming characters.
the fact that it is not only enjoyable, but also had the wise lessons in it, makes it a book that both my lazy self and my ambitious self can agree on, and so I can happily read it again.
I did dislike all the noting of people's races as it seems to suggest that a persons skin color is actually a note worthy thing, as well as a definer of who the person is
Richard Brand
I bought this book thinking it was a Spenser mystery, but it was Sunny's book. It is a quick read with the same snappy comments made by Sunny that Spenser makes. It has many of the same formula. Gay tough guy, mafia help from ex husband, she has a psychology friend. I am not sure I accept all this on and off again love with her ex husband. I am not sure that the story line was believable, but it was a good day's waste and so I give it a three.
Rei Wahl
Dec 11, 2015 Rei Wahl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great No-Bike Detectives

I will never know how Robert Parker can write from inside a woman's body - really Robert, how do you know?
Great story , dialogue, characters ; even better than Spenser. Sunny Randal makes me think about my life, about becoming a complete person and about trusting myself to do the right thing.
I hope the Parker estate can find a writer to continue this series ; it is too good to end.
Diogenes
Feb 20, 2016 Diogenes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Sunny Randall. There's no mistaking the hand of the master; one feels the spirit of Spenser on every page - the presence humanity and decency while people are getting killed and terrible people are getting away with it, all with the familiar snappy dialog. Cameo appearances by some familiar characters add to the pleasure, but Sunny is an independent, yet in some ways very dependent, intriguing heroine.
David Walsh
The usual. Parker is the default author when i seek recreational reading, particularly in the summer. He wrote so many that I have to keep track of the ones i have completed -- the whole reason i started a Goodreads account.

Sunny Randall was Parker's third primary character. The writing style is the same, the pithy, sharp dialogue is the same -- she just carries a tad more self-doubt.

Still satisfies.

Deb W
Dec 31, 2015 Deb W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zune
I listened to this on audiobook and they could've done their readers a great service to hire a sound engineer. Throughout the story, the volume kept dropping down to barely audible at the end of random sentences, and then too loud at the start of the next. I had the sense that the reader was pulling away from the microphone and then putting her face right into it on the next sentence. Aggravating.

But I loved the protagonist, the plot was engaging and the writing was flawless. I think I will read
Ginnie Leiner
A quick read; I liked the main character Sunny Randall but this was not a challenger in anyway. Almost no character development and lots and lots of dialogue; albeit, good dialogue. I found the book in the airport when I had finished my own book before I finished flying home. Sitting there at the Southwest gate, begging someone to pick it up.
James
Dec 14, 2010 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads Robert Parker
I've enjoyed Parker's Spenser series, so I thought I'd give his Sunny Randall series a try. Our library has almost the entire series, unlike Spenser which sadly has big holes in the sequence.

The characters in this series don't have the same depth as you find in the Spenser series. That could be because it is the first book or because Parker has more trouble writing a female lead character. I guess I'll find out as I read more. On the other hand, it was a relief to skip the chauvinism that is typ
  • Robert B. Parker's Lullaby (Spenser, #40)
  • Robert B. Parker's Fool Me Twice (Jesse Stone, #11)
  • Poodle Springs (Philip Marlowe, #8)
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Tropical Heat (Fred Carver, #1)
  • Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)
  • The Bishop in the West Wing (Blackie Ryan, #14)
  • Pepper Pike (Milan Jacovich, #1)
  • Murder in Volume (Megan Clark, #1)
  • Robert B. Parker's Blind Spot (Jesse Stone, #13)
  • Critical Space
  • Cry Dance
  • Suspicion of Malice (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #5)
  • Snoops in the City
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
  • A Beautiful Place to Die (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #1)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Sunny Randall (6 books)
  • Perish Twice (Sunny Randall, #2)
  • Shrink Rap (Sunny Randall, #3)
  • Melancholy Baby (Sunny Randall, #4)
  • Blue Screen (Sunny Randall, #5)
  • Spare Change (Sunny Randall, #6)