Start by marking “Is the Father of Jesus the God of Muhammad? Understanding the Differences Between Christianity and Islam” as Want to Read:

The days when western Christians could ignore the influence of Islam are over.

Today as never before, the world’s second largest religion is shaping our culture, and words such as jihad, imam, Quran, and fatwa have entered our vocabulary. While all Muslims are no more alike than all Christians are alike, there are certain fundamental beliefs that all Muslims hold in common—
Published August 13th 2002 by Zondervan

Be the first to ask a question about Is the Father of Jesus the God of Muhammad? Understanding the Differences Between Christianity and Islam

Lorrie
Feb 08, 2014 Lorrie rated it it was amazing
"Because Islam is not a religion of redemption, there is no need for the cross and no place for grace." Poignant words written by Dr. George. This book is a great introduction to Islam with helpful compare/contrast discussion to Christianity.
Ryan Linkous
Feb 08, 2015 Ryan Linkous rated it really liked it
Timothy George writes a helpful Christian introduction to Islam that is respectable and peaceable. His main comparison is the doctrine of God, Christ, and salvation in Christianity versus those in Islam. He writes in mind of Christians who are unfamiliar with Islam and want to share the gospel with their Muslim neighbors and for those who may be tempted to think they are different religions following the same God. His comparisons and contrasts deal primarily with the Christian doctrine of the ...more
David
Sep 13, 2009 David rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book – clear, insightful, well-written, and irenic. There is a fine balance of history and theology here, without being either technical or reductionistic. George explores the things Christianity and Islam share in common (such as monotheism), but focuses most of his attention on how the Trinity (Christians believe in a complex oneness to the nature of God), incarnation (Christians insist that God can and has “come down” in the person of Jesus the Son, which is shirk to the ...more
Michael
Feb 06, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
This book is written by a Christian with the purpose of examining Christianity and Islam, and seeing similarities and key differences among these faiths.

I appreciated the tone of the author, not to bash or put down Islam, but to genuinely examine what these faiths believe. I believe he concisely presents a fair description of Islam and some key differences in Christianity, focusing on things such as the nature of God (including the Trinity), the concept of salvation, and the person of Jesus.

I t
Dwight Davis
Feb 22, 2013 Dwight Davis rated it liked it
I gotta say, I was impressed with this book. I am typically against this sort of apologetic book, but Dr. George does a fantastic job of being fair to Islam while standing firm on what he believes. His exposition on the importance of the Trinity and the cross were helpful for those who haven't done much study on these topics.

A few years back I started reading every book on Islam I could get my hands on because I found out I had family I had never met before who were Muslims. This is definitely
Eric
Aug 22, 2013 Eric rated it liked it
This is definitely not an apologetic book (as the author points out at the beginning). I believe the book had a wealth of good information, but I just couldn't see how the author was connecting all this information to be able to converse with a Muslim. Honestly, the book is best read as just an information guide on the similarities and differences among Christianity and Islam.
WilliamTellSix
May 04, 2014 WilliamTellSix rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics
A balanced, readable, and scholarly work on Christianity and Islam. Christians will not disagree with what Timothy George has to say about Christianity. Muslims will not disagree with what Timothy George has to say about Islam. A good place to start becoming informed.
John Reas
May 14, 2016 John Reas rated it it was amazing
Well written comparative analysis between the two faiths, I recommend this for reading by all Christians who desire a better understanding of not only the faith of Muhammad but our own Christian belief as well.
James Henderson
Jun 01, 2016 James Henderson rated it really liked it
A charitable discussion of the similarities and differences between Islam and Christianity. I found it very enjoyable and helpful.
Saz Jibson Ryan
Mar 12, 2014 Saz Jibson Ryan rated it liked it
Clear and interesting explanation of the differences and similarities of the two religions. George highlights Christ's promise of "redemption, not merely revelation [and] grace, not simply guidance."
Julie Anne
Aug 07, 2012 Julie Anne rated it really liked it
this is a fascinating book that I learned a lot from. however, it is written from a slanted Christian view
David Hile
Dec 06, 2012 David Hile rated it really liked it

This is a good comparison if Christianity and Islam. It is from a Christian point of view but is quite simpathetic to Islam. It will take several more rounds to full digest it.
Nathan
Sep 16, 2009 Nathan rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book both for reviewing the basic theology of orthodox Christianity, but also to pinpoint exactly how Christian theology differs from Islam.
Casey Hobbs
Casey Hobbs rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2014
Chris Ong
Chris Ong rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Carly Abney
Carly Abney rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2016
Kristin
Kristin rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2008
Dmatlak
Dmatlak rated it really liked it
May 13, 2010
Smitha
Smitha rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Makavelli
Makavelli rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2011
Richy Hall
Richy Hall rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2016
Teresa Kander
Teresa Kander rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2016
Kevin Smith
Kevin Smith rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
Gavin Breeden
Gavin Breeden rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2011
Daniel
Daniel rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2011
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

Timothy George is Dean at Beeson Divinity School, Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. He is also editor, together with his wife Denise, of the Library of Baptist Classics series. He previously was an associate professor of church history and historical theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
More about Timothy George...