Start by marking “Boys and Girls Together” as Want to Read:
Boys and Girls Together

William Goldman

Boys and Girls Together

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  541 ratings  ·  43 reviews
William Goldman is famous for his Academy Award-winning screenplays, infamous for the thriller that did for dentists what Psycho did for showers, beloved for his hilarious "hot fairy-tale," and notorious for his candid behind-the-scenes Hollywood chronicles. But long before Butch and Sundance, Buttercup, and the Tinsel-Town tell-alls, he made his mark as one of the great p...more
Published 1964 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Boys and Girls Together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boys and Girls Together

Nancy
If I'd stopped reading after the chapters about the characters' childhoods, I would have given it five stars, I think. But it really went downhill for me. The children all grew up into fairly damaged and unlikeable adults. The most likeable was the one we knew the least. And the female characters were described primarily in terms of their sexual attractiveness and desire (or lack thereof). My favorite part was Rudy's childhood relationship with his grandfather, the only person in his life who wa...more
David Jordan
Before he became a Hollywood hotshot screenwriter("Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid," "All the President's Men," etc.) and took up genre fiction ("Marathon Man," etc.), Goldman had a substantial career as literary novelist, and this is is his biggest and perhaps best book. It knits together the life stories of several artistic types who eventually come together as the cast and crew of a Broadway play. Goldman spins a solid plot with an enteraining narrative voice, but his real strength is dr...more
Robert
I read this long before Goodreads. I thought it was great at the time. I believe I read it, when i was in college I the '60's, and it was about young people of roughly my generation finding their identity and their way in the world. I thought then and now that it had a lot more meaning and relevance for me than any of the things I was reading for my English Lit. classes. My "to read" list is getting despairingly long, but I'm really tempted to read this one again.
Faatz
I really like William Goldman. He is a natural born writer. He has a gift for humor, dialogue and a keen insight into human nature, all of which are much in evidence in this novel. One thing that is lacking here is a satisfying conclusion. I don't want to give out any spoilers but I feel it was very contrived and overwrought and unconvincing. The rest of the book was fine (with the exception of the interminable chapters involving Jenny and Charley's relationship. That plot line was cliched and r...more
Joe
Goldman writes young people well. As they age, he seems to lose it.

I like his deadpan dialog:
“Hey, George.”
“Watcha got?”
“Looks broke.”
“Is.”
“Hey, you enlisting today?”
“Flat feet.”
“Oh. Sorry, P.T.”
“Can I use the toolroom?”
“Why not.”

and this:
“Mother...”
“Who are you?”
“Rosie...”
“Do I know you?”
“Please, Mother...”
“You look like somebody I think died.”
“I’m sorry.”
“Again.”
“Louder.”
“That’s my bab
Alanna
This is a really hard book to review. Let me first begin by saying that it's got a lot of sex (some of it even homosexual sex, for that matter), so if that will bother you, just stay away. BUT, none of it is at all explicit. So if you're okay with implied sex-- definitely no worse than a PG-13 rating-- then this book won't bother you after all.

The other warning I think I need to give is that William Goldman doesn't really love to write happy endings. Those of you who are familiar with the book T...more
Linda
I picked this up from the bathroom bookshelf in the furnished apartment where I was staying, and I think there was a reason it was in there. It seems barely better than reading a shampoo bottle. Many of the reviewers mention that it was a meaningful book when they read it as a teenager, and I can understand how it might have been, considering its examination of adult interactions. As an adult, however, I found the book a rather boring and depressing look at relationships. The characters are also...more
Niki
A series of great character studies and converging plotlines that, sadly, end up going nowhere. The main characters are all very likable, and especially Rudy's generational saga is thrilling - some of the chapters drag on for too long, but the emotional impact is very strong throughout the story. It's a shame the novel ends with absolutely nothing - no big resolution, no reveal, just the characters destroying themselves. Perhaps it's a commentary on something, but I wasn't able to see it. In any...more
Lisbeth Solberg
I read this when I still lived with my parents--it was copyrighted 1964--and picked it up out of nostalgia to reread. I remembered liking it then; this time not so much. Rudy's relationship with his grandfather reminded me of The Princess Bride which I like better than this book, but I loved that plotline of this one, at least in the early part of the book. And there were other sympathetic characters, too. Lots of confused characters repeat negative patterns of behavior, but Goldman seems to hat...more
Brien Lee
I found my mother's copy of this when I was seventeen or so. I read it cover to cover in three or four nights, and it's a 600 page book. It introduced me to adult sex, homosexuality, multi-character threading, pickle barrels, and incredibly well-described locals. Yes, it is depressing as so many have mentioned, but so is Catcher in the Rye. I personally guaranteed at least three or four more people read it at the time.

It is a brilliant book, and Goldman's immediate followups (or at least hose a...more
Rena
My favorite book of all time. Have re-read it more than once since the 60's.
Echo Heron
Mar 19, 2013 Echo Heron rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys strong characters
Recommended to Echo by: picked it up at my Aunt Ruah's bookstore
I read this book when I was still in high school - and loved it. I read it at least twice, probably more over the next couple of years. The characterizations were incredibly strong, the writing excellent, and the story was one of those where all the separate pieces of yarn end up being woven together in a seamless, engaging read. I'll have to read it again now that I'm old...and hope I am not disappointed.
james
Oct 09, 2007 james rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious readers
happy endings aren't for everyone.

william goldman does an excellent job developing a ton of different characters who will do more than merely come in contact with each other.

i remember there were maybe 50 (20?) pages left (the book is i think 500) and had no clue how the thing was going to conclude. but it definitely wraps up in the end for the reader.
Lori
A classic - dark but real, no happy endings. I read this for the first time when I was in my 20s - same age as these boys and girls. At that time I thought "what mistakes these kids make." This time I kept thinking, "we are the way we are because our parents were the way they were." What a difference 30 years makes.

Joan Leicht
I would give this book more than 5 stars. This is the fifth time I read it, I was afraid that I would find it dated, but I am always pulled in by the characters and the writing. William Goldman is one of my all time favorite authors, I was sorry when he stopped writing novels and went "Hollywood".
Andrew Farr
This book is really well written and terribly depressing. It starts off roughly and never quite gets better. Even still, I admit I enjoyed it.

If you enjoyed both Franny and Zooey and East of Eden...you'll enjoy Boys and Girls Together. Unless you're a bigot...then you won't.
Rainbolt
Kept reading in the hope that somehow there would be a point to this book, but unless you count almost everyone living in their own personal hell for the rest of their lives, there wasn't. Since none of the characters were particularly likable, you don't feel too bad for them.
Robin
Oct 12, 2010 Robin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I read this as a teen-ager and loved it. Glad to see it's been re-published and I'm curious to know if I'll like it as well. Also hard to believe that this is the same author who wrote THE PRINCESS BRIDE.
Natalie
I started reading this several times before I had the tenacity to finish it. Although parts of the story are compelling, I was glad when it ended as the characters depressed me. Not a happy, fun read.
Barb
Read this book several times starting with my late teen years. Had a differnt insight to the book during each decade. Good fictional book about the sexual revolution and societal mores.
Anna Marie
I read this book about 30 years ago, and only remembered it as one of the best books I've ever read. I really didn't think so this time around, and couldn't wait to finish it.
Lin Wollen
Goldman's best, far as I'm concernned. Could never understand why they never made a movie of it. particularly wonderful is the love between " The old Turk " and Rudy.
Karen
Why is there two? I honestly can't remember if I read Goldman's or Saroyan's version. Whichever one it was, it made me feel less lonely.
Thom Kahler
A lesser known work by Goldman, but though I read it nearly 50 years ago, it still resonates in my mind for some reason.
Tamie
This is a great beach book. Goldman does a good job of going back and forth between different people's stories.
Shawn
I liked this book a lot at the time of reading; don't know whether it translates to twenty years later, or not.
Serafina Sands
i thought this was very daring when i read it in high school; alas, on finding my copy recently, it has not aged well
Lizzie Jones
LOVED this book literally to pieces! Re-read it so much it came apart in my hands one day!
Stacey
May 09, 2007 Stacey rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
A great great read for anyone who's ever known New York, or wanted to. Epic and engrossing.
Jess
This book wasn't great, but there is something about Goldman's writing that I really love.
  • Somebody's Heart Is Burning: A Woman Wanderer in Africa
  • What to Keep: A Novel
  • The Howling Man
  • King Kong
  • Hollywood Animal: A Memoir
  • Just Behave, Pablo Picasso!
  • Off the Wall at Callahan's (Callahan's Series Excerpts and Quotes)
Goldman grew up in a Jewish family in Highland Park, Illinois, a Chicago suburb, and obtained a BA degree at Oberlin College in 1952 and an MA degree at Columbia University in 1956.His brother was the late James Goldman, author and playwright.

William Goldman had published five novels and had three plays produced on Broadway before he began to write screenplays. Several of his novels he later used...more
More about William Goldman...
The Princess Bride Marathon Man Adventures in the Screen Trade Which Lie Did I Tell?: More Adventures in the Screen Trade The Silent Gondoliers

“aaron would not come out

aaron entered into agony.”
1 likes