Start by marking “Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life” as Want to Read:
Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life

Coach: Lessons on the Game of Life

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  821 ratings  ·  92 reviews
""There are teachers with a rare ability to enter a child's mind;
it's as if their ability to get there at all gives them the right to stay forever.""
There was a turning point in Michael Lewis's life, in a baseball game when he was fourteen years old. The irascible and often terrifying Coach Fitz put the ball in his hand with the game on the line and managed to convey such
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published December 1st 2005 by Books On Tape (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Coach, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coach

Diane
This is a nice story about how a tough coach inspired some high school kids to do more with their lives, including the author.

It is also a story of a generational divide, and how modern parents are accused of "helicoptering" and sheltering their kids too much, which makes it more difficult for the coach to do his job.

The book has a lot of meaning, despite being only 90 pages long. Michael Lewis attended a wealthy private school in New Orleans, and Billy Fitzgerald was his baseball coach. Coach F
Eric Wilbanks
I won't bother to repeat all the basic details already covered by other readers except to say, Yes, it's short (I'm estimating 8,000 words), but it really packs a punch. As a father of four (3 boys, 1 girl), the themes really resonated with me. This quote seems to sum it up much better than I would be able to do:
"Fitz gave another one of his sermons. They were always a little different but they never strayed far from a general theme: What It Means To Be A Man. What it meant to be a man was that
Emmett Novick
Coach is a very good book. It explains how this one coach at a Tennessee high school was so good that he created a legendary school and a legendary program. This coach is called Coach Fitz. At the school he coaches for, Newman, the famous NFL quarterbacks Eli and Peyton Manning came through his program for baseball, and they don't even care to recall their football coach, because Coach Fitz was that good. This book explains just how good he was.
Jonathan
Short and sweet. A one-day read.

A very compelling story of a generational clash (old players and current generation players) with a legendary coach being the subject of it all.

Teaches lessons about complacency, the virtue of struggle even against overwhelming odds, dedication to team and self, and many others.

Loved it.
Darwin8u
More of a tribute/essay/paean than a book, Coach is a relic. It is a reflection on Billy "Fitz" Fitzgerald, one of those influential and transformative men who through their character, courage and strength affect a large number of boys. Lewis recalls his memories of Coach Fitz and details the way both parents and children have changed (at least in the milieu of New Orleans and the Isidore Newman School). At heart it is a nostalgia tour of a great man and how lessons about adversity, strength, pr ...more
George
INSPIRING.

What price sissification?

COACH: Lessons on the Game of Life, by Michael Lewis begs that question. And hints at what a tremendous lose it is when self-respect is no longer to be earned but becomes merely a facetious, meaningless, spoon-fed entitlement.

Recommendation: Parents, please love your kids, and please read or listen to 'COACH.'

"The coach's message was not simply about winning but about self-respect, sacrifice, courage, and endurance."—goodreads.com synopsis

MP3 audio book editio
Audrey
The author of this book spoke at my graduation from Tulane Graduate School--for someone I never heard of he gave a wonderful and inspiring speech. I bought the book for my spouse shortly thereafter for Father's Day, it is very short so I thought it would be ideal given his non-work related literature phobia. It took me less than 2 hours to read this book today, served as nice dose of life coaching, told in a magnetic fashion.
Growing up we all had "that coach" - the one who said something you still repeat, or the one who went the extra mile for you or the whole team. Those who have been blessed with great coaches share stories and remind us what an impact our own words have on our players now that we are the coaches. Give this to your coach as a thank you.
Matt
Very good short book. Deals with being part of a team, making committments, being a parent, and understanding what some brilliant coaches are trying to teach us at young ages through their unconventional ways. I strongly reccommend this book to anyone whether you have an interest in baseball or not.
Jihae
I love everything Michael Lewis writes so I am overlooking the fact that this is basically one long article (you can read it in an hour) posing as a book, very slim on content. I am puzzled why there are wholesome-america photos that you would normally find already inserted in the photo album. Why?
Megan
Michael Lewis (Moneyball, Liar's Poker) writes a slim memoir of Coach Fitz, his high school baseball coach at a private school in New Orleans. It is reminiscent of Tuesdays with Morrie. Lewis comments on the differences between students and parents when he was in high school and now.
Katie
A simple, short book (more an article, really) on the role a former coach had on the author's life and how coaching times have changed. I'm not very into sports, but wanted a quick, light and enjoyable read one evening and this did the trick.
Kelly
I read Lewis' The Blind Side,and I liked it so much that I had to get my hands on all his other books and read them. This was a wonderful tribute to Lewis' favorite coach. And it's full of lessons for life. A very short, but good read.
Aaron Hubbard
A great book to see the impact a good coach can have on the lives of youth. If you are a fan of Michael Lewis this could be even more interesting as you will see where he met some of the people he writes about in other books.
Audrey
Stars because I like it and can relate (I don't have a problem with how intense the guy was). Only three because 1) it's so short - though understandably so - and 2) it's only vaguely applicable to my life. Inspirational story, great writing. Quick read (15 minutes?).

Final quote (which I like and definitely identify with, but remains inapplicable):
"And that's how I left him. Largely unchanged. No longer, sadly, my baseball coach. Instead, the kind of person who might one day coach my children.
Tagg
A quick (30-minute) read but great insight into one of the traps of modern parenthood--overprotecting your child and not letting them learn lessons the hard way
Chazzle
I need to find my inner Coach Fitz much more often.

Anyway, a short book, but a great book.
Rick
another good one, easy small book read recommended for everyone
Vicky Maday
A great read for coaches and parents!
Monica
Very short, but great. :-)
Jonny99
I liked my high school baseball coach - thanks for reading. The normally more interesting Michael Lewis essentially presents a long-form version of a retirement speech for his old high school baseball coach - Coach Fritz. Fritz apparently has not actually retired yet and Lewis, to a very limited degree, compares the respect and, frankly tyrannical dominance, high school coaches once held over developing boys with today's coddled, over-praised student athletes. However, he does not develop this s ...more
Craig
Spoiler alert: This was a quick audio book "read," as I listened to the author read the book on my mobile device. With quotes from Lou Piniella to Mark Twain butressed by a fable from Aesop, Michael Lewis summarized some bildungsroman-type "coming of age" lessons learned by high school baseball coach Billy Fitzgerald.

Former major league manager Lou Piniella - "He will never be a tough competitor; He doesn't know how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable." Lewis explains that it was the impo
Rich Swerbinsky
A quick hour long read about Michael Lewis's (author of Moneyball, the Big Short, and others) high school baseball coach, the impact he had on him, and how he was forced to adapt his coaching style amid the growing parent scrutiny and criticism that is now rampant in youth sports.

Worth the read for any baseball fans, youth coaches, or Michael Lewis fans.
Kevin Murray
Lewis is a great writer, and essay is no exception. But it doesn't live up to the promise. The author is still in awe of the coach who showed not a hint of sympathy when a one-hopper shattered Lewis' s nose. I found myself rooting for the privileged parents trying to get the coach fired. That is not me.
Andy
An Essay on teaching the fighting sspirit

Truly enjoyed this short recollection and reflection on how a great coach can shape a young life. It's much less ambitious than his book length work but also very personal and rings true.
Michael LaRocca
It would be a great article in a sports magazine. But as a hardcover book, it's just too light on content. I got it at the library, which is great. If I'd bought it, I'd be disappointed.
Mark
A great little book -- one every parent should read if they have a child who plays sports. Some excellent lessons to be learned!
Jean Adelson
My 17 year old daughter and I listened to this short book on tape during a three hour road trip. I loved it but she did not. I especially liked when the coach said about one of his less successful players: "he is uncomfortable with the idea of being uncomfortable." I am sure it was not just a reference to the physical discomfort of playing baseball.
Ryan
It was ok as I rated it. Goes through differences in today's youth and the culture of parents and kids. Very quick read
  • The Education of a Coach
  • Opening Day: The Story of Jackie Robinson's First Season
  • The Assist: Hoops, Hope, and the Game of Their Lives
  • Willie Mays: The Life, the Legend
  • The Real Romney
  • Season of Life: A Football Star, a Boy, a Journey to Manhood
  • Baseball's Great Experiment: Jackie Robinson and His Legacy
  • When the Game Stands Tall, Special Movie Edition: The Story of the De La Salle Spartans and Football's Longest Winning Streak
  • Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top
  • Heart of the Game: Life, Death, and Mercy in Minor League America
  • The Book: Playing the Percentages in Baseball
  • Mama's Boy, Preacher's Son: A Memoir
  • Are We Winning? Fathers and Sons in the New Golden Age of Baseball
Michael Lewis, the best-selling author of Liar’s Poker, The Money Culture, The New New Thing, Moneyball, The Blind Side, Panic, Home Game, The Big Short, and Boomerang, among other works, lives in Berkeley, California, with his wife and three children.

His latest book, Flash Boys, was published on March 31, 2014.
More about Michael Lewis...
Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game Liar's Poker Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt

“It was as if this baseball coach had reached inside me, found a rusty switch marked: 'turn on before attempting use' - and flipped it.” 1 likes