Start by marking “Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die” as Want to Read:
Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  44,085 Ratings  ·  1,857 Reviews
Mark Twain once observed, “A lie can get halfway around the world before the truth can even get its boots on.” His observation rings true: Urban legends, conspiracy theories, and bogus public-health scares circulate effortlessly. Meanwhile, people with important ideas–business people, teachers, politicians, journalists, and others–struggle to make their ideas “stick.”

Why
Published January 2nd 2007 by Random House (first published December 18th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Made to Stick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made to Stick

Mohamed Al Marzooqi
Aug 29, 2016 Mohamed Al Marzooqi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أخرى
دعوني أبدأ بالقول بأنني أكره كتب التنمية وتطوير الذات وكل ما دار في فلكها، وأنني أفضل قراءة كتاب طبخ حول طريقة إعداد "المحشي" على قراءة كتاب لأولئك المحتالين الذين يبيعون وهمًا للمغفلين. كما أن أسوأ كوابيسي هو أن أستيقظ يومًا في جزيرة معزولة وليس في حوزتي سوى كتاب من هذا النوع على شاكلة "كيف تصبح مليونيرًا في أيام" "كيف تغير العالم بضغطة زر" (في الواقع إذا كنت في جزيرة معزلة فعلاً سأتمنى أن يكون معي كتالوج من "إيكيا" لتركيب قارب خشبي أستطيع أن أستقله لأهرب من الجزيرة).

لكن هذا الكتاب مختلف فعلاً
Trevor
Jan 22, 2009 Trevor rated it it was amazing
I came upon this book in a convoluted fashion. It was nearly recommended to me in a round about sort of way by Richard, a GoodReads friend, when he pointed to a review of Blink by someone else on GoodReads who is some sort of expert in the field (although, I have to admit I’m still not totally sure which field that is). The expert felt Gladwell was a little too simplistic. I enjoyed Gladwell’s books very much and so was keen to see what made them seem too simplistic to someone ‘in the field’ and ...more
Sundeep
Feb 03, 2008 Sundeep rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sundeep by: kareem
from my blog, thesunrising.com

Summary: When marketing anything, keep these six concepts in mind if you want your message to shtick: Simple, Unexpected, Concrete, Credible, Emotional, Stories; yes, my friends, that spells SUCCESs. If it sounds like too much work, these two concepts also work: Free, Sex (noooo, that’s not in the book…but it works I tell you!).

Recommended? Si. It’s a quick, fun read full of interesting anecdotes and examples that make the book’s message more *concrete* (a-hem). If
Mark Dickson
Feb 23, 2011 Mark Dickson rated it it was ok
Perhaps it was because this book came highly recommended from a reliable source, but I was greatly disappointed. This book was a redundant snooze. The ultimate test, I suppose, is whether the ideas from this book do, in fact, stick. It suffices to say that "enjoyability" is NOT on the list of what makes an idea stick.

It's quite clear that the authors are doing their utmost to follow their own advice. That this makes the book almost unreadably repetitive is possibly an argument against the book'
Lili Manolache
Apr 08, 2013 Lili Manolache rated it it was amazing
The book "Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die" by Chip Heath and Dan Heath Chow, is about how to make your ideas memorable; be it promoting a product / project, being a professional, forwarding a company's strategy or lessons to students. Everything revolves around the SUCCESS methodology. For an idea to stick, for it to be useful and lasting, it's got to make the audience:

Pay attention - Unexpected
Understand and remember it - Concrete
Agree/Believe - Credible
Care - Emotional
Be a
Kevan
Aug 09, 2016 Kevan rated it it was amazing
Update #2: Yep. Still recommending it. I

Update #1, at the halfway point: five stars already.

I want to read this book twice, at least. This will directly change how I write, present, think, create and make things. I know I need to keep experimenting to make my communication more memorable, more meaningful, and I'll be playing with many of the techniques described here.

A few key points that I want to experiment with in my own work:

"If you've asked somebody to remember three things, you've asked
James
Apr 18, 2009 James rated it liked it
Some business books are written to promote consulting gigs. This is one such book. You can usually tell when the summary chapter just takes the table of contents and re-arranges it a little. I picked this up because one of the authors is the founder of an innovative website used extensively by my kids---Thinkwell.com.

There is nothing inherently wrong with this book. The ideas are coherent, presented well, and made relatively easy to digest (following the their own enunciated principle of the "p
Mahdi Nasseri
این کتاب عالی است. به نظرم به تمام معنا مطالعه آن برای همه نیاز است. نه تنها شما را در جایگاه شغلی و اجتماعی قدرتمند می کنه بلکه بهتون کمک می کنه تا بسیاری از باورها، رویدادها و ایده هایی رو که در محیط اطرافمون باهاش مواجه می شیم رو بتونیم به درستی تحلیل کنیم و بشناسیم.
خوندن این کتاب رو به همه توصیه می کنم.
ترجمه عالی این کتاب در کنار چاپ بسیار با کیفیت خوندن این کتاب رو لذت بخش تر کرده.
Sajad Behjati
Jun 11, 2015 Sajad Behjati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
کتاب های زیادی در زمینه اثربخشی محتوا خوندم و اینکه چطور محتوایی ارایه کنیم که ماندگار و تاثیر گذار باشد، اما برای من ایده عالی مستدام کتابی متفاوت و خاص بود که با مثال های متعدد و شیوه ای آسان این موضوع را شرح داده است...

محتواهایی که کار زیادی برده است، اما به درستی ارایه نمی شوند، اساتید دانشگاهی که سرشار از دانش هستند، اما نمیتوانند ارایه کنند و خیلی مثال های دیگه ای که لزوم مطالعه این کتاب و استفاده از تکنیک های آنرا نشان میدهد .
Loy Machedo
Jan 21, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it it was amazing
Remember the subway advertisement? The guy who lost over 200 pounds eating only the vegetarian sub?

What about proverbs like “A bird in hand is worth two in a bush” or what comes to your mind when you hear the phrase “Sour Grapes”?

What about John F. Kennedy’s Man on the Moon vision?

Why is it we remember Urban legends like the Kentucky Fried Rat, Coco Cola dissolving tooth, Kidney thieves or the fact that you can see the Great Wall of China from space?

Welcome to a book that is the cross breed betw
Jane
Apr 05, 2012 Jane rated it it was amazing
Let's assume that since I get invited back to keynote at the same conferences, I'm a more-than-decent speaker. And, that since a couple of the books I've written are bestsellers, I must make them interesting to readers. Why mention this? Because my copy of Made to Stick is filled with sticky notes that are covered with ideas for upcoming speeches and writings. This book motivates application of the ideas it contains.

Yes, I've used several of the core techniques described in the book for years--
Rick Lee James
Jul 09, 2015 Rick Lee James rated it it was amazing
Really great book, especially if you communicate for a living. The 6 principles that make an idea stick ( 1.) Simplicity, 2.) Unexpectedness, 3.) Concreteness, 4.) Credibility, 5.) Emotions, 6.) Stories ) make up the simple acronym, SUCCESS. This book elaborates on these principles while at the same time adhering to them. If you're a public speaker, teacher, pastor, manager, or even a parent trying to teach ideas to your children then I think you will find this book beneficial.
Andreas Ernst
Mar 19, 2014 Andreas Ernst rated it liked it
The basic concept outlined in this book is helpful and I loved the very beginning with its surprising twist. After a couple of chapters however I think the books looses a bit of spicyness.
Douglas Knupp
Mar 30, 2008 Douglas Knupp rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone whi is in the business of communicating ideas in a way that they will be remembered
MADE TO STICK – Chip and Dan Heath
SUCCES
Simple – Unexpected – Concrete – Contextual – Emotional – Stories

Step-by-directions, how to achieve stickiness

“Those are the six principles of successful ideas. To summarize, here’s our checklist for creating a successful idea: a Simple Unexpected Concrete Credentialed Emotional Story. A clever observer will note that this sentence can be compacted into the acronym SUCCESs. This is sheer coincidence, of course. (Okay, we admit, SUCCESs is a little corny. W
Dave
Apr 13, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing
As a writer and speaker, I love stories. I love to tell them, to write them, and I love to read them. I also like to read about stories, what makes them work, how they excite our imagination, how we use them to enrich our communications. Made To Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive And Others Die is about all that and more.

Good salespeople, advertisers, marketers, PR professionals, even managers wanting to motivate their employees and entrepreneurs needing to excite their investors can make good use o
Mike
Sep 17, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011, library, audio
This was the first audiobook I have ever listened to in its entirity, and I listened to it in my car while commuting to/from work for the last two weeks. First, I had to admit, I had a very hard time getting used to *listening* to a book. I also found my self rewinding and listening to parts again, not because I was interested in what was being said, but mostly because I was busy driving and missed what was being said. I'm going to try another few audiobooks before I give up, but I'm not sure no ...more
Steve
Aug 15, 2007 Steve rated it it was amazing
If you are a business person, teacher, or just someone trying to get your idea across, this is a great book to read!

Written by brothers Chip and Dan Heath, one a professor of organizational behavior at Stanford, the other an education consultant and former researcher at Harvard Business School. They look at the key aspects of what makes some ideas and stories stick in people's minds. They boil things down to 6 key principles of simplicity that make things stick in people's memories.

Some of the c
Zaki Imtiaz
Oct 24, 2015 Zaki Imtiaz rated it it was amazing
As a marketer and a game developer I have always wondered about how to make people care about my idea. How can I make someone to buy my product and listen to my proposals. This book has helped me a lot in shaping my thoughts, towards making ideas stick. End result is that I have hundreds of working examples from this book as well as Edward De Bonu's book "Think before its too late" to make things work.

So whenever you are going to work on an idea, just think about SUCCESs.

S: Is your idea simple?
Kristen
Jun 08, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, work
As I return to communications, I thought I'd brush up with this modern marketing classic.
James
Mar 15, 2016 James rated it it was amazing
This has been in my to-read section for probably 7 years now and I was finally able to find the audio book and take a listen.

Overall, wanted to say great book and provided it with a 5 start rating.

Some of the key concepts that resonated with me include:

1) Advertising school story. For the Entrepreneur, it's a tough concept to teach on how to capture readers attention with headlines or advertisements. The story of Jerrod from Subway and how it became a phenomenon is awesome. Having run several
Alaeddin Hallak
This is unlike any other communication book you will ever read.

Without a doubt one of the most profound books I've read. It jolted me out of old ways of thinking about delivering any piece of information or motivating people towards a worthy idea. I realized how wrong I've been doing it and I can now understand why specific situations in the past year could have gone better if I employed some of the techniques in this book to communicate my ideas better.

The key message in this book is that every
Jenn
Dec 29, 2010 Jenn added it
Shelves: eastlake
Key Questions: How do you create the SUCCESS criteria for Groups? At EastLake they are the “catch all” for all the ministries and programs we don’t run!
1. Simple:
a. Find the “core” of your message
b. Write using the “lead” approach
c. Force prioritization – Don’t allow for uncertainty! (How do you do this when you offer choice?)
d. Groups – Feature Creep
e. Using schemes – think about non-church ones and use those!
2. Unexpected:
a. Value in sequencing information
b. Use curiosity to your advantage
Muhammad Arrabi
May 06, 2013 Muhammad Arrabi rated it it was amazing
A must read for any Marketing person, or a Product person. (along with Positioning, The Immutable Laws of Marketing & Branding, and maybe Influence).

A really good book. It's a joy to read, and it has lots of referenced good info. Each chapter hides an interesting Gem - the type of things you can surprise your friends with. Stuff like: Did you know that all successful Ads follow only one of 6 templates! It sounds unreal, but this is actually from well-regarded psychology experiments & res
Paul
Jun 07, 2016 Paul rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Very good, but not quite as good as "Switch." This book had some strong concepts, great anecdotes and credible data to back it all up. But it was a tiny bit too expected; it didn't change my paradigm or make me look at things any differently. If you want to change the world or persuade just one person, this is a valuable book.
Christine Nolfi
Jan 18, 2013 Christine Nolfi rated it it was amazing
Chock-full of fascinating ways to ensure your ideas do stick. A great marketing tool and so much more. I wish I'd read this book when my kids were teenagers. Many of the lessons on making ideas memorable can also aid parents.
د.أمجد الجنباز
من أروع الكتب التي قرأتها والتي تتحدث بطريقة مفصلة ومبسطة عن كيفية تبسيط أفكارك لتؤثر بها في الأخرين وتجعلهم يحفظونها.
ستتة إستراتيجيات بسيطة تساعدك في هذه العملية
Chad Warner
Nov 17, 2016 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chad by: Daniel Pink
An informative and entertaining guide to making ideas “sticky” (interesting and memorable). It presents six principles and explains them with plenty of specific examples and comparisons of “sticky” and “non-sticky” ideas. Its lessons are applicable whether your ideas will be used in marketing and advertising a business or in spreading the mission of a nonprofit.

One of the themes of the book is overcoming the “curse of knowledge,” which is when you’re so familiar with your mission/product/service
Joel Justiss
Mar 09, 2009 Joel Justiss rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Organizational behavior professor Chip and his brother, educational consultant Dan put their thoughts together to analyze the factors that make ideas memorable and accepted. They offer many insights that are valuable in persuasive communication.
20 The Curse of Knowledge is that once we know something, we find it hard to imagine what it was like not to know it.
26 The planning process forces people to think through the right issues, but the plans themselves are immediately obsolete.
The Army’s conc
Eva
Sep 13, 2011 Eva rated it liked it
Copied-and-pasted:

Why do some ideas succeed while others fail? In their book, you’ll learn what they discovered – the six key qualities of an idea that is made to stick:

1. Simplicity – How do you strip an idea to its core without turning it into a silly sound bite? The answer is finding the core intent. Core messages help people avoid bad choices by reminding them of what’s important. Coming up with a short, compact phrase is easy. On the other hand, coming up with a profound compact phrase is i
Aaron
May 09, 2010 Aaron rated it really liked it
I was browsing in Edward McCay's when I found this one. It has a pretty orange cover which is a draw for me. It says "New York Times Bestseller", so that's another selling point. The back seemed to promise how to sculpt/craft/makeover ideas so that people will not only be interested, but they might never forget them and pass them on to others. Sounds good, I thought -keep talking, you. So I approached the counter with this book, Unstuck by K. Yamashita & Sandra Spataro; Ultimates 3 Volume 1 ...more
FULL Creative Lib...: Made to Stick 1 6 Mar 05, 2014 11:01AM
Not Just for Business People 6 85 Mar 31, 2013 07:37PM
  • The Myths of Innovation
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Resonate: Present Visual Stories that Transform Audiences
  • Sources of Power: How People Make Decisions
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Weird Ideas That Work: How to Build a Creative Company
  • Zag: The #1 Strategy of High-Performance Brands
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series)
  • Web Analytics: An Hour a Day
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Yes!: 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive
  • The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling
  • Bit Literacy: Productivity in the Age of Information and E-mail Overload
  • Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping
  • The Progress Principle: Using Small Wins to Ignite Joy, Engagement, and Creativity at Work
Chip Heath is the professor of Organizational Behavior in the Graduate School of Business at Stanford University.
He received his B.S. degree in Industrial Engineering from Texas A&M University and his Ph.D. in Psychology from Stanford.

He co-wrote a book titled Switch How to Change Things When Change Is Hard with his brother Dan Heath.
More about Chip Heath...

“The most basic way to get someone's attention is this: Break a pattern.” 59 likes
“Stephen Covey, in his book The 8th Habit, decribes a poll of 23,000 employees drawn from a number of companies and industries. He reports the poll's findings:

* Only 37 percent said they have a clear understanding of what their organization is trying to achieve and why
* Only one in five was enthusiastic about their team's and their organization's goals
* Only one in five said they had a clear "line of sight" between their tasks and their team's and organization's goals
* Only 15 percent felt that their organization fully enables them to execute key goals
* Only 20 percent fully trusted the organization they work for

Then, Covey superimposes a very human metaphor over the statistics. He says, "If, say, a soccer team had these same scores, only 4 of the 11 players on the field would know which goal is theirs. Only 2 of the 11 would care. Only 2 of the 11 would know what position they play and know exactly what they are supposed to do. And all but 2 players would, in some way, be competing against their own team members rather than the opponent.”
40 likes