Zombie: An Anthology Of The Undead

Zombie: An Anthology Of The Undead

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  2,670 ratings  ·  207 reviews
RESURRECTION! The hungry dead have risen. They shamble down the street. They hide in backyards, car parks, shopping centres. They devour our neighbours, dogs and policemen. And they are here to stay. The real question is: what are you going to do about it? How will you survive? How will the world change when the dead begin to rise? Bram Stoker-award-winning author Christop...more
Published 2010 by Piatkus Books

Every Dead Thing by John ConnollyThe Lovers by John ConnollyThe Black Angel by John ConnollyDark Hollow by John ConnollyThe Reapers by John Connolly
The Best of John Connolly
18th out of 19 books — 9 voters
The Stand by Stephen KingThe Road by Cormac McCarthy1984 by George OrwellCryonic by Travis BradberryWorld War Z by Max Brooks
Apocalypse: It's Over, Dude.
304th out of 334 books — 601 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky
Hmm... I should probably review this or something, eh? I actually really liked this, but at the moment I find myself having very little to say in a real review. (Or a Becky review, which isn't the same thing.)

Most of the stories were very good, with a couple gems and a few stinkers. Some I just didn't get at all, and one failed to convey why it was part of a zombie anthology in the first place. Shooting Pool, I'm lookin' at you. Otherwise, a really good and varied collection of stories. Some wit...more
Rachel
Mar 03, 2010 Rachel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: zombie fans
This is a really awesome zombie anthology with new stories from some great authors. Lots of new twists on zombies.

my top 5 faves were:

"Family Business" by Jonathan Maberry- one of the longer stories, more of a novella, about two brothers. One is apprenticing the other in the "family business"-killing zombies-but it's not your typical violent, shoot-em-up story. Lots of heart, great relationship created between the two brothers, not perfect but realistic.

"The Wind Cries Mary" by Brian Keene-very...more
Blu
Mar 29, 2010 Blu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Jonathan Maberry, John, Rhiannon Frater, Ikeysia Riley, Tre Zombie
What an amazing anthology! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this collection of never-before-published stories featuring my favorite creatures of the night: ZOMBIES!!!

*giggle

Each and every story was unique and fascinating. Here is my rating of the individual stories (from fav to least fave):

The Storm Door (*****) DAMN GOOD STORY!
Lazarus (*****) Awesome. Beautifully written.
Copper (*****) Woooow. Eeeerily poetic.
Twittering from the Circus of the Dead (*****) Downright frightening
ZOMB
ZOMBI
ZOMBIE
ZOMBIES!!

What more do you need than a book full of Zombies!
Great read.
Chris
3.5 brains.

I'm just going to cheat and copy my status updates here for the individual stories. All in all, it's a pretty good collection. More good stories that turds, which is a good thing to find in an anthology.

"Lazerus" was cool & intriguing. (3 stars).
"What Maisie Knew" kicked serious ass. (5 stars).
"Copper" ehh, not so much. (1 star).
"In the Dust" - very cool. I love a good aftermath story. (4 stars).
"Life Sentence" - creepy and well told abuse of power story. (3.5 stars).
"Delice" - me...more
Kathy
Lazarus by John Conolly - This one was pretty good. It gave a new spin to an old and very well-known bible story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. I guess, I assumed, like I'm sure alot of people did that when he was risen he was "alive", but this makes us wonder...what if he wasn't? (3 stars)

What Maisie Knew by David Liss - This is my favorite so far. What a unique story, with a great ending twist. Kind of part mystery, part dystopian. I really enjoyed this one! (4 stars)

Copper by Stephen...more
Jason
All stories within The New Dead are well done, but there are four that blew me away, for one reason or another--typically because they managed to frighten and/or disturb me. They are:

Lazerus by John Connolly
What Massie Knew by David Liss
Kids and Their Toys by James A. Moore
Twittering From the Circus of the Dead by Joe Hill

I'd also like to mention Family Business by Jonathan Maberry. Although this one did not disturb me, I found it very interesting and entertaining.

I was surprised that I liked th...more
Kemper
A decent collection of zombie stories with a lot of variation from the usual George Romero-style zombie apocalypse. Stand outs include Joe Hill’s story told as a collection of Tweets from a bored teen-age girl on a family vacation that includes attending a zombie circus and Jonathan Maberry’s touching Family Business. Surprisingly, Joe Lansdale’s contribution isn’t really a zombie story at all so it seems a bit out of place despite being one of the better tales included.
Jennifer Wardrip
Although there were a few duds in this one, there are also some really top-notch stories. Honestly, I'd implore you to pick up a copy of THE NEW DEAD simply to read THE FAMILY BUSINESS by Jonathan Maberry, which is the first zombie story I've read that's ever managed to make me cry.
Gerd
I remember reading a complaint about anthologies in general that went down to something like "The quality in stories varies too much"
I'm so tempted to second this notion for "The new dead"

There are a lot of better edited anthologies out there, no doubt, although the highlights (most notable Jonathan Maberry's entry) are worth it anyway.

Fact is that the writing is extremely varied both in style, which is a good, and in writing quality, which is a not so good; frankly I couldn't help but wonder ho...more
Fiction State Of Mind (Kai Charles)
I've mentioned before my love/hate relationship with antholigies in the past. I couldn't pass up the lure of 19 new zombie stories by some of today's top authors. This book was lots of fun so I'm going to highlight my favorites in the following : The Good The Bad and The Ok

The Good

I'm going to start at the end with Joe HIll's
Twittering From The Circus Of The Dead

I love Twitter! and Joe Hill was the author who introduced twitter to me :) TYME2WASTE is the sign on name of Blake a young teenager w...more
Trudi
I'm giving this three stars because overall, the stories are okay and several are completely forgettable. But I also encourage you to pick up this anthology because a few are outstanding and it would be a crying shame if you missed them.

Making it to Outstanding:

"What Maisie Knew" by David Liss:
At turns creepy, sick and disturbing; absolute compelling reading. If this premise has come up before, it was new to me and I loved it. The zombies are not the monsters of this story. The squick factor i...more
Chrystal
Out of all of the short stories, I would say that I enjoyed a third of them. Some were just not my cup of tea, while others completely drew me in. Due to the fact that there are so many different authors in this one book, you really get to taste a bite of their unique writing styles and I have come to find a handful of new authors that I had never heard of. I'll list a few of the short stories I really liked and review them a little.

In The Dust by Tim Lebbon
This short story brings you into a sec...more
Danielle
Just when you thought there was nothing new to say about the undead... this is a - can I say? - fun collection of zombie tales. I liked the way that each of the authors had a different axe to grind about how the zombie-human throwdown might end up - some put humans in the winner's seat and imagined what that might mean for ethics and zombie exploitation, although most saw a darker future for humans and civilization in general.

Personal favourites included a tale told entirely in Tweets by one of...more
Monster
The New Dead tries to play around a bit with the very idea of the zombie story, experimenting with both the concept of a zombie (such as in “Copper” by Stephen R. Bissette) and the story form itself (“Twittering from the Circus of the Dead” by Joe Hill, which is told in Twitter form). Sadly, outside of the contributions by the powerhouses of the zombie genre many of the stories fall flat.

Brian Keene, Max Brooks and Jonathan Maberry all deliver strong stories, as does Kelley Armstrong (who succes...more
Angela
Found this book in HMV for £1 so I couldn't really pass it up at that price. I had already read some short stories and books by some of the contributors (Joe R. Lansdale and Max Brooks to name two) so that tempted me further.

There are some excellent stories in this collection. In fact, there wasn't a single story I disliked for one reason or another.

Each author contributing takes the idea of 'zombie' and makes it their own. Some are rather traditional in their descriptions of the walking undead;...more
Schnaucl
This is a good, solid anthology. There were a few weaker stories but for the most part I thought Golden made good choices.

I particularly liked Jonathan Maberry's story and I was happy to learn that it's being expanded into a book. Family Business made me think about zombies in a different way and I'm very much looking forward to exploring the world he's created.

Max Brooks has a story that would fit perfectly in World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

There really are quite a number of go...more
Anne Marsh
I almost didn't pick up this book because of the cover-- your traditional rotting, bloody zombie pic. I don't enjoy horror (or don't think I do), but the stories inside were a fabulous introduction both to the authors and to the zombie genre. John Connolly's "Lazarus" is the perfect kick-off: a re-telling of the Lazarus story from the Bible. For urban fantasy and paranormal romance readers, Kelley Armstrong has a strong contribution in "Life Sentence"-- if you love her "Women of the Other Kind,"...more
Andrew Neal
This was a lot better than I expected. I read it for the Joe Hill story, but it was far from my favorite; the fact that his story was written in the form of tweets (from twitter.com) had a lot to do with that. I mean, that was cute, but I didn't enjoy it.

Like most anthologies, there were some dull stories, some perfectly capable stories which didn't mesh with my sensibilities, and some which I liked a good deal. The percentage of good was higher than usual for me, though.

I think I'll read Patien...more
Gray
The theme of this anthology is death and resurrection, not the traditional Zombie Apocalypse. The contributors present an interesting variety of interpretations, many of them very different from the standard zombie scenario. Some are told from the point of view of the resurrected creature, making for unexpected chills or pathos.

I found some of the stories shallow, predictable, or downright silly, but I liked enough of them to keep the book -- I'm pretty sure I'll want to read the good ones agai...more
Carolyn F.
Anthology. This book started out really good and then slid to okay and then rose to become pretty good again. I have to say the editor mostly chose really good stories. The average star rating is 2.94 stars.

1. What Maisie Knew by David Liss. Gripping & gross story of what happened to one reanimate. ****

2. Copper by Stephen R. Bissette. Different but I think just as good. I don't know the back story of the zombies or how they're made. But a sad story becomes a strangely uplifting story of rev...more
Sonatajessica
Ohhh, Anthologies. Ohhhh, Zombies. I do love thee both and am delighted to find you combined. With a wide range in topic, mood and structure this ones gives a strong punch, Zombie lovers do not hesitate and Zombie skeptics take a look at what Zombie stories are capable of.
I wouldn't rate any single story lower than a 2 which is saying something for a collection, at least I find it rare not to have a full disappointment. Some big names and some interesting surprises, seriously I had a lovely time...more
Meran
For the 19 stories in the anthology, I got 3.8 stars. However, 13 of the stories were in the 4 and 5 star category. Unfortunately, one was so bad that I couldn't give it even ONE star. It brought the overall rating down. So I rounded it up to 4, which is where it would be if I hadn't counted that story. There were only 3 stinkers. However, this book is still HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

The impact of these stories is very strong: sadness over the loss of control of our lives, loss of loved ones, the corru...more
Colin
The Book itself is spilt into 19 Short stories.... So in order to do a review Its only right to review each story separately. Then my Main Rating for the whole book is the average....

Lazarus by John Connolly. (**)
Not really what I was excepting I have to admit I nearly didn't read another one.....

What Masie Knew by David Liss (***)
I kinda enjoyed this one, was too taken by it, but a good read

Copper by Stephen R. Bissette (****)
Strangely I didn't get it at first, but it was strangely poetic and...more
Matty
I'm a big fan of zombies - everything from movies to books. So, when I spotted this new collection of short stories which featured some of my favorite authors of the genre, I had to read it... and it definitely didn't disappoint. Christopher Golden did a fantastic job putting together this anthology of 20 short stories written by some of the most prominent zombie writers. The best part of this collection is that none of the stories seem redundant. You'd think that there could only be so many ave...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Let me start with this: I'm a huge zombie fan. I love all-things zombie. So, as soon as I saw the cover for this book online, I knew it was a book that I desperately wanted to read. Don't you just love that creepy, cool, and gross cover? It certainly captures the essence of this wonderful collection of stories.

LAZARUS by John Connolly is a zombie short of biblical proportions. It's a quick, well-written, and totally engrossing tale that I found to be a nice nibble-bite introduction for this very...more
Rowan MacBean
My opinion of zombie stories stays perfectly in line with my opinion of horror in general: When it's done well, it's the best thing ever but it's so rarely done well. In this short story anthology, though, there were only two stories out of nineteen that I didn't like. One of them (Copper by Stephen R. Bissette) was due to a purely stylistic personal preference on my part. I liked the actual story, just not the way it was told. The other piece I didn't like (Shooting Pool by Joe R. Lansdale) was...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
I love a good zombie story, so when this book popped through my letterbox I squealed with delight. I'm not usually a fan on anthologies, not because I don't think they are any good, but because I prefer a full-length novel. But as this was sent for review, I thought I would give it a go. And I am so glad I did.

The cover in itself made me a happy bunny - it's fantastic. The artwork is by Per Haagensen and if you check out his website you will see other pieces of his work which are just outstandin...more
Sterlingcindysu
This is an anthology featuring zombies. I thought it'd be a fun summertime read, along the lines of Zombieland the movie. Some of the stories really made you think, especially about the new jobs that would open up if zombies came to be. There was one story that had no zombie--I don't know how that one got in. Most of the morals were "zombies are people too." I just realized one of the stories "What Maisie Knew" is the same title as a Henry James short story with the same commentary on parenting!...more
Eva Leger
I'll expand on most, if not all, of these later but I don't want to forget each story.

(rating - 2.5) (8 pgs.) Lazarus by John Connolly wasn't bad but it was stranger than anything I've ever come across and I didn't like the religious aspect to it.
(rating - 4) (33 pgs.) What Maisie Knew by David Liss was awesome and I'm hoping this is pulled from a whole book so I can read more.
(rating - 1) (35 pgs.) Copper by Stephen R. Bissette sucked. I read two or three pages and skipped the entire story. I...more
21st Century Ghos...: The New Dead 6 27 Dec 10, 2012 01:33PM
  • The Living Dead 2
  • History is Dead: A Zombie Anthology
  • Zombie CSU
  • Zombies: Encounters with the Hungry Dead
  • Zombies: The Recent Dead
  • Zombie Apocalypse! (Zombie Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Undead: Zombie Anthology
  • Down the Road
  • Eden
  • Zombies: A Record of the Year of Infection: Field Notes by Dr. Robert Twombly
  • Can You Survive the Zombie Apocalypse?
  • Kings of the Dead
  • Rise Again: A Zombie Thriller
  • Domain of the Dead
  • Monster Nation (Zombies, #2)
  • Zombie Britannica
  • Thunder and Ashes
  • Zombie, Ohio
Christopher Golden is the award-winning, bestselling author of such novels as The Myth Hunters, Wildwood Road, The Boys Are Back in Town, The Ferryman, Strangewood, Of Saints and Shadows, and (with Tim Lebbon) Mind the Gap. Golden co-wrote the lavishly illustrated novel Baltimore, or, The Steadfast Tin Soldier and the Vampire with Mike Mignola, which they are currently scripting as a feature film...more
More about Christopher Golden...
Hellboy: Odd Jobs Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Watcher's Guide, Volume 1 Out of the Madhouse (The Gatekeeper Trilogy, #1) Hellboy: Odder Jobs Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)