Start by marking “Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California” as Want to Read:
Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California

Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  1,026 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Since her debut on Food Network in 2002 with the hit program Everyday Italian, Giada De Laurentiis has been enticing Americans with her updated twists on Italian favorites. Her dedication to ease, healthfulness, and—above all else—flavor have won her a permanent place in the hearts of home cooks. In Giada at Home, she shares a personal look into how she cooks for those dea ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Clarkson Potter (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Giada at Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giada at Home

My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by Carl TremblayThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Awesome Cookbooks!
98th out of 133 books — 96 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisMom's Island Bakens by Martha Char LoveBEST RECIPES FROM EASTERN EUROPE by Sahara SandersSlim And Healthy YOU by Sahara SandersGluten Free Slow Cooker by F.L. Clover
A World of Wonderful Cook Books
21st out of 37 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Caity
I really enjoyed reading this cookbook, there are interesting comparisons made throughout the book between her traditional home style meals and her more modern updates. It is easy to see which recipes are which as they are color coded, I found many recipes that appealed both to myself (a vegetarian) and my fiance (not picky). Overall I was most impressed with the pasta section which featured plenty of classics as well as a few delicious sounding lightened up dishes many of which are vegetarian o ...more
Gail Cooke

Those who follow Giada De Laurentiis on her Emmy Award winning TV program (and there are jillions of you) know just how delicious, healthful, and beautifully presented her dishes are. Her four previous cookbooks have all topped bestseller lists, however, for this Giada fan GIADA AT HOME is something very special because not only are there a multitude of tasty recipes, but it is also a warm affectionate look at family, friends, and her adopted state of California.

I cannot remember seeing a cook w
Robyn Hawk
There Goes My Diet...not really! but this book (even the ARC in which the photos are Black and White) will tempt even the most reluctant cook into the kitchen.

In Giada at Home: Family Recipes from Italy and California the popular Food Network star shares her love of food - not just the nourishment that food provides but she celebrates the power that food has to bring people together - family and friends.

This book shows why Giada has become the star of a hit TV series...her sincerity comes across
Ana Mardoll
Giada at Home / 978-0-30745-101-9

Part cookbook, but with biographical elements that provide interesting insight and reading into the featured chef's adjustment from Italian cuisine to American cuisine, and her fusion attempts with both, this book is an interesting read with several mouth-watering recipes. Many of the recipes feature full-page finished photos, and most of the Italian cuisine dialect is carefully explained to the reader (finally, I now know the difference between prosciutto and pa
Marya Kowal
Good points:
The photos are GORGEOUS, food as well as people. If you just flip through cookbooks without cooking, this is a nice one!
The stories about the dishes are short, interesting, and fun to read.

Negatives:
The majority of the recipes in this "home cooking" book are disappointingly formal. Not really much of a weeknight supper kind of book.
Some of the ingredients recommended or required are expensive or harder to find. Not a huge surprise, but unfortunately true of recipes that attracted
my
Emily Crow
I have two of Giada's other cookbooks, and this one is my favorite so far. The recipes look both simple and delicious...there are at least a dozen I want to make ASAP. (While I haven't actually made anything from this book yet, I have had good results with recipes from her other cookbooks, so I anticipate good results.)
Gabrielle Woods
I enjoy several of Giada's recipes but this book was a disappointment. I found the recipes stuffy & pretentious.
Heidi
As much as I love italian cooking... I'm not sure who I was fooling getting this book. Much of the ingredients needed I'd be lucky to find. Meijer doesn't even have proscutto... they have pacheta .. which is too salty. Anyways, to get these kinds of food I'd might as well pay to go out since it would be so expensive to purchase everything necessary to make these kinds of foods. Even though many of these recipes I could make myself I just cuoldn't find any that I would want to or that I wouldn't ...more
Alyssa
Giada at Home is a beautiful book, full of lovely images of delicious looking food. Many of the recipes are easy enough to follow... but I felt like they were a little fancy for stuff I would make at home. "Fried cheese-stuffed zucchini blossoms," what!? If I made those my hubs would be like "when did you get so fancy!?

I will absolutely take a way a few recipes from this book- like the parsley sauce and the fusilli with spicy pesto. Yum yum yum!
Jenny
I really like most of Giada's recipes; some of them are my go-to recipes when I can't figure out what to cook for dinner. She also pays a lot of attention to presentation and thus suggests ingredients that make decorating the dish quite effortless. Love her show and love her cookbooks!

The only reason I'm not giving 5 stars is because some of her recipes ask for random items that are incredibly hard to find and/or expensive. Bummer.
Ariel
This book includes the pasta ponza recipe which Giada is eating on the cover. When I recently saw her at the South Beach food and Wine festival she declared that the pasta ponza was her all time favorite recipe and that nutella was her favorite food. For me personally there was not too much I would make here. I still love Giada though. Favorite recipes in this book include chocolate honey almond tart and espresso caramel bars.
Kristine
If I can find a few delicious, easy-to-prepare, yet elegant, vegetarian recipes in a cookbook, I think it's worth a 4-star recommendation. This one has several and the layout is beautiful, easy to read with beautiful color photographs. I love some of the dishes I've prepared from this book and I've found them to be very easy to prepare. I don't like complicated recipes or dishes. Giada is charming and knows her stuff.
Catherine
The pictures are mouth-wateringly beautiful! However, I agree with other readers that some of the recipes are formal. I do like to try new things (even if they look challenging due to ingredients or time), so that doesn't bother me so much. My favorite is the gorgonzola and porcini mushroom risotto. I find it easy to make, and it's always a sucess.
Rachel Rogers
We're fans of Giada at Home on the Food Network so my daughter bought me this for my birthday. It's full of fun and interesting recipes, much like her TV program. Some of them will never be made here for one reason or another, but many others will. Every Giada recipe we've made has been a success so I look forward to trying some of these.
Heather
i bookmarked a ton of the recipes in here (the caponata! the espresso caramel squares!), and can't wait to make them.

my only problem is that most, if not all, of these recipes aren't anything new. i counted 10+ recipes that i've seen her make on her show, and i'd wager that all of the recipes are on the food network website.
It would be easy to hate Giada De Laurentiis with her seemingly perfect life, perfect husband, perfectly adorable child. But, I don't. Her latest cookbook is full of gorgeous photographs highlighting an array of delicious sounding recipes. Hate her if you must but I bet you'll still be tempted by these dishes.
Jaime
Although there are many recipes that I will not try in this cookbook, there are 5 that I photocopied and am adding to my collection. Most of the recipes will take too much time to prepare & cook, and that doesn't work for me. Especially having small children to look after.
Sarahkay
I love Giada's recipes, but I expected these to be a bit simpler... they are a bit formal for my "at home" taste.

Also, the only thing worse than watching her cook in white clothing, sans apron, is seeing photos of her daughter eating in white clothing, sans bib. Gah!
Linda
Giada is my favorite celebrity chef. Her cookbooks are beautiful -- pictures plus stories plus cooking tidbits. Another great collection of recipes -- the veggie and brunch sections excite me the most. Looking forward to trying them all out.
Jennifer Choisser
Cauliflower and pancetta gratinata, oh my! I enjoyed several of the recipes she offered in the book, and appreciate her taste for fresh flavors. Surprisingly, Many of her recipes are VERY toddler friendly.
Melanie
This is a nice blend of Italian and Californian cuisine, I will definitely make some things from this easy to read and enjoyable cook book. I read some of this with a 2 year old who enjoyed the pictures.
Ianna
I love Giada and she didn't disappoint me with this cookbook! I am vegetarian, so I was looking specifically for vegetarian dishes and she has some great sounding ones that I will definitely try.
Tanya Marie
Beautiful recipes - I'm eager to try them out! Gorgeous photography ~ I'm a fan of Giada so haven't met a cookbook of hers I haven't like yet. Darling daughter pics in here too :)
Sally Salyards
Every time we order a copy for our Library it disapears so I CANNOT wait to get another copy! It must be a wonderful cookbook for it not to stay on the shelves.
Lady Krystal
I'm a Giada fan, so of course I had to check out this book. I liked the recipes. I also like the fact that most of the dishes had a picture to go along with.
Amanda
This cookbook is a little heavy on the cheese and meat. It's hard to find vegetarian recipes, but the ones that I made were delicious!
Yuki Shimmyo
May 30, 2010 Yuki Shimmyo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Foodies, Families
So far I've made the Pecorino & Bean salad which was very easy to prepare and a big hit with a crowd over the weekend!
Miss Clark
Annie
One of my favorite cookbooks - her recipes are so flavorful and fun
Ashwini
Lovely illustration in the book and clear notes to follow.
  • Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes
  • Everyday Food: Fresh Flavor Fast: 250 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Any Time of Day
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • Cook Like a Rock Star: 125 Recipes, Lessons, and Culinary Secrets
  • Jacques Pépin More Fast Food My Way
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking
  • The Homesick Texan Cookbook
  • Rachael Ray 2, 4, 6, 8: Great Meals for Couples or Crowds
  • The Deen Family Cookbook
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Gourmet Today: More than 1000 All-New Recipes for the Contemporary Kitchen
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen
Giada De Laurentiis is a Los Angeles-based celebrity chef who's published several cookbooks and hosts several shows for Food Network. Born in Rome, Italy, she grew up surrounded by homemade Italian cooking. As a child, she and her family moved to California, where she spent countless hours at her grandfather's restaurant DLL Foodshow. Upon graduating from UCLA with a degree in anthropology, Giada ...more
More about Giada De Laurentiis...
Everyday Italian: 125 Simple and Delicious Recipes Giada's Family Dinners Everyday Pasta Giada's Kitchen: New Favorites from Everyday Italian Weeknights with Giada: Quick and Simple Recipes to Revamp Dinner