Start by marking “No Fighting, No Biting!” as Want to Read:
No Fighting, No Biting!

No Fighting, No Biting!

Poor Cousin Joan!

She can't read her book when Willy and Rosa are pinching and squeezing and fighting. So she tells them stories about two little alligators who are always fighting and biting—just like Willy and Rosa!
Published October 25th 1978 by HarperCollins (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about No Fighting, No Biting!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Fighting, No Biting!

Amanda
Oct 13, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing
ah, one of THE books of my childhood.
at almost 40 i still reprimand myself with the classic words oft repeated to me by my sister

NO FIGHTING
NO BITING
midnightfaerie
Dec 18, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A book my 6 yr old loved, a little old for my preschoolers. A solid reading level 2 book, this reader has a good amount of advanced vocabulary words, but not so long that it discourages a new reader. Used it for his read out loud book, which was perfect. It took about 20 mins for him to read and had just enough new vocabulary words to make it challenging. Also, it was a fun and interesting story he could get into. He liked it so much, he asked for more by this author. Great reading book!
Jane
I remember reading this book again and again. I love the story within the story which one never, NEVER sees in a beginning reader. I love that it's about the power of story.
Stephanie Harris
May 10, 2013 Stephanie Harris rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I ever read for myself. I still have the copy. I just sat down one day when I was about 4 and started reading, causing my mother to start screaming (I was the first child, obviously). From the day my second son figured out how to piss off his brother, my mantra was, "no fighting, no biting," and I have been known to refer to my children, now almost grown, as Lightfoot and Quickfoot. I look forward to reading it to my grandchildren one day.
Contrarius
Oct 16, 2011 Contrarius rated it it was amazing
This book created one of the standard refrains of my childhood -- "No fighting, no biting!". That's what my mom would always tell my brother and me when we'd start getting too rowdy. I don't know how much that mantra actually calmed us down, but it certainly stuck with us. And since the phrase is still with me 40 years later, the book deserves all the stars I'm giving it. ;)
Tricia
Jan 20, 2010 Tricia rated it really liked it
children cannot get along and aunt joan shares a story about alligators with them. can i say that this is truly an easy reader classic? the illustrations (especially the facial expressions on both child and beast) really make the story.
Jen
Apr 28, 2009 Jen rated it did not like it
This book is blah, blah, blah. Falls flat on its fanny from trying too hard to be a moral tale.
Jugglerilluminati Ur Mom!
Bighting hurts pls don do it thx
Jody Bryant
Jan 28, 2016 Jody Bryant rated it it was amazing
All about Applegator Children ....
Marcia Brisson  Van Camp
Jun 17, 2015 Marcia Brisson Van Camp rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cute-kid-s-books
Love the illustrations by Maurice Sendak, enjoyed the book as a child for it's cute little story about alligators.
Cynthia Egbert
Jul 30, 2015 Cynthia Egbert rated it really liked it
This is my life as a mom and someone who wants desperately to read all the time!
Jack&jude
Jul 26, 2011 Jack&jude rated it did not like it
Shelves: summer-2011
Did not finish. The boys did not like it.
Josiah
Apr 11, 2016 Josiah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No author/illustrator team is more beloved than Else Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak, creators of the classic Little Bear easy readers. Maurice Sendak receives the lion's share of praise for the series (the Nickelodeon television adaptation was marketed as Maurice Sendak's Little Bear), and the sweet stories of life with family and friends surely wouldn't have had the same impact without his illustrations, but Else Holmelund Minarik knows how to spin a surprising and touching tale. Author ...more
Nicole
Jan 06, 2017 Nicole rated it really liked it
A semi-short story with an underlying message of why fighting/biting are not good things to do. As an elementary school counselor, I will definitely save this in my shelves, but would not recommend it as a read aloud to the whole class. It's a bit too small of a book and does not have a lot of pictures. I'll probably use it in small groups.
Rosa Cline
Jan 21, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Even though this is a beginning reader; young listeners may get bored with it. The storyline is a cute one that starts out with human children fighting with one another then they are separated and read to and they begin to listen to a couple of baby alligators and what they all go through and learn that they shouldn't fight and argue with one another. It is a chapter book. My 21 mth granddaughter that usually enjoys sitting listening to books was bored with this book. But other children may like ...more
Karen
Jan 20, 2016 Karen rated it it was amazing
This book is almost as enchanting as the Little Bear series. Probably because no matter how adorable the baby alligators look when created by Maurice Sendak, they just don't have the cuddliness of a bear cub. A side effect of this book is that my seven-year-old son will point to our two older cats when they are tussling and say, "No fighting, no biting!" I'd say he fully understands the story.
Dec 25, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing
When my sons were small we checked this book out of the public library at least once a month. They loved hearing about the 2 little alligators that almost get goobled up by a big alligator because they can't stop fighting and biting each other.

It is a great read aloud book for preschoolers, and perfect read alone book for kids a little older.

Pictures and stories (it is basically broken up into 4 stories) make this books one of my hands down favorites.
Wooden Horse
May 04, 2011 Wooden Horse rated it it was ok
I ended up editing and abridging this rather drastically as I was reading it to a 3-year old. It was originally written in 1958 and has a substantial amount of text. The main reason I cut a lot out was because the two siblings repeatedly squabble about where to sit on the couch which just became to tedious to read on every other page.
Amber
Jan 20, 2016 Amber rated it really liked it
A delightful book! Surprised I never heard of it, as I love the Little Bear books so much, and this is by both Minarik and Sendak. The illustrations are wonderful, and Fox loved the story (this was read for his Literature and Comprehension class).
Kate
Feb 20, 2013 Kate rated it it was amazing
My older sister used to read this to my younger brother and me when she was stuck babysitting for us. It was fine advice then, and so it remains! I am delighted that I Can Read has made these titles available to newer generations.
Maggie
Feb 05, 2009 Maggie rated it it was amazing
I've decided to start marking books that were my favorites as a child so I don't forget to buy them for the children in my life.
===========
I think I liked this book because between my brothers and I, we likely needed this reminder more often than not.
Vicki Jaeger
Sep 12, 2009 Vicki Jaeger rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kids of all ages
One of my favorite kid's books of all times! (Entering it here so I remember it for baby shower gifts in the future.) We loved this book so much that the title became a saying in our house. A great book to talk about sibling rivalry & getting along nicely.
Monica
Dec 16, 2011 Monica rated it really liked it
One of my favorites from childhood...probably because I had a younger brother and we could identify a bit with the children in the story.
Melissa Mcavoy
May 08, 2012 Melissa Mcavoy rated it really liked it
A simple story that merges a squabbling pair of siblings with a tale of equally fractious alligator babies. Sendak's drawings are wonderful, as usual.
Kara
Aug 02, 2008 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My mom turned the title into a house rule when my siblings and I were little. It was a necessary rule - we were all tiny savages with sharp little teeth. Ah, memories.
Brittany Perry
Sep 25, 2013 Brittany Perry rated it really liked it
One with a good set of moral values and good behavior in it. I think it is better than an average children's book that has no point these days other than to entertain.
Jill
Jun 28, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
The story uses two alligator siblings to teach a brother and sister on how not to behave. I loved being read this story as a child!
Anne
Jan 24, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
A very good book to read for kids to teach them about fighting, hitting or biting. And as usual, love the illustrations by Maurice Sendak!
Paige
Simple text and clever story about two irritating children and two irritating baby crocodiles. Maurice Sendaks' illustrations are brilliant.
Recs
Jun 14, 2009 Recs added it
this book is a bit bizarre. i like it because i love the alligators. the language is a little old- it's hard to read aloud.
  • Tales of Amanda Pig: Level 2
  • The Bravest Squirrel in the Forest (The Bravest Squirrel, #2)
  • Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Giants and the Joneses
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • Down Comes the Rain: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • Rescue Ferrets at Sea (The Ferret Chronicles, #2)
  • Robin Hood (Stepping Stones)
  • Oliver
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • Greg's Microscope
  • Let's Go Rock Collecting: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • What Is the World Made Of?: All About Solids, Liquids, and Gases
Else Holmelund Minarik was the author of the Little Bear series of children's books, which were successful as books, and were also made into a successful children's TV series. The Little Bear books sold more than 6 million copies worldwide.

Else Minarik was also the author of another well-known book, No Fighting, No Biting!

She was born in Denmark, and with her family immigrated to the United States
More about Else Holmelund Minarik...