Start by marking “The Best Camera Is the One That's with You: iPhone Photography” as Want to Read:
The Best Camera Is the One That's with You: iPhone Photography

The Best Camera Is the One That's with You: iPhone Photography

3.54  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A beacon of creativity with boundless energy, Chase Jarvis is well known as a visionary photographer, director, and social artist. In The Best Camera Is The One That's With You, Chase reimagines, examines, and redefines the intersection of art and popular culture through images shot with his iPhone. The pictures in the book, all taken with Chase's iPhone, make up a visual ...more
Published September 18th 2009 by New Riders Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Best Camera Is the One That's with You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Camera Is the One That's with You

Lineola
May 01, 2012 Lineola rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
I enjoyed this book but it is essentially a collection of images, not a "how to guide". Even if you just want somehting to spark ideas, the images a bit dated. If you join Instagram or EyeEm (app-based social photography sharing sites), you will find many many iphoneographers with quirkier, more inspiring ideas. If I had found this a year or so ago, I would have loved it, but after reading "The Art of Iphoneography" and "iPhone Obsessed", you are already beyond this book.
Jim
Apr 05, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: photography
jarvis writes the dirty little secret of the great photographers was takings lots of pictures. the suggestion that if they throw enough against a wall one will stick. i disagree, look at the contact sheets of great phographers, most are v. good, some are great and only a few are poor, but only one could be chosen for an add or a layout.
the thought that the rest of us w/out the eye or talent could be one of them?
Jon
Oct 18, 2010 Jon rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
Chase Jarvis is having fun with his iPhone. Which is cool. Several of these pictures are really great. Others are nice, or just so-so. But the point of the whole thing is to show that you don't need gear to take interesting pictures. You just gotta shoot a lot and pay attention to what's around you. Cool things can happen.
Appel Aja
This book is mostly photos with few words. I was inspired by the way Jarvis captured his life and experiences using only a camera phone. I would like to make a similar book about my life.
David R
Dec 28, 2015 David R rated it liked it
Loved the photos. but the text was irritating and made the author come across as holier than thou. and the plug for his app at the beginning put a bad commercial taste in my mouth from the start. but, it did give me some good ideas. I would recommend joel Grey's "1.3" for a purer lo-fi camera phone art piece.
Josh
Mar 18, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it
Shelves: art
An example is set in this book: Concise, deep thoughts are phrased in simple, large type among example images of how those simple-to-say pieces of advice can be put to good use.
Sandybear76
May 29, 2014 Sandybear76 rated it it was ok
Shelves: photography
a small book of photos as the author travels with his iPhone and photographs his everyday life.
Elisabeth
Oct 23, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: art
I wanted to love this book. I love art made with unlikely tools. But I think it couldn't decide if it was a photo journal or an abstract photography art book. As a photo journal it was disjointed and not personal enough. On one of the few pages with text, the author writes, "some pictures tell stories. Others ask questions," we'll there wasn't enough story in these for me, plus they weren't chronological. As an art photography book, it needed further editing. Some of these images are just beauti ...more
The Night Hawk (Erin)
Jun 19, 2012 The Night Hawk (Erin) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, art, non-fiction
Awesome and inspiring photos. Chase's main message, other that the title, is that pictures don't have to be clear and clean and beautiful. They just have to say something to you, how you feel in the moment. They are about capturing what is there now because it will change as the years pass because nothing lasts forever. And when in the moment, you have to take to photo with the camera that's with you, which is almost always the one on your phone!
Gene
Oct 11, 2009 Gene rated it liked it
My friend Kara Murphy gave me this book and it's a neat quick "read". Since it's a photography book it sits on my counter as a perfect way to see what you can do with the camera on an iPhone, and, more importantly - to remind you that there is beauty everywhere, even in the mundane - it's all about perspective!
Rhonda
Oct 21, 2009 Rhonda rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Great book. Fun and entertaining. It emphasizes what you can do with a little imagination and "the camera that's with you." Chase shows you what you can do, his new iphone app gives you the tools...now go, create and share!
Belinda
Apr 16, 2012 Belinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: be-smarter
An inspiring book that encourages you to really take a good look at the world around you via your iphone camera to discover that art and life is all around us. Great idea to start our own iphone galleries!
Susan
Aug 25, 2012 Susan rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book. I had hoped to see some really inspiring photography but only a few of them "moved" me or made me think "Wow! I wish I had taken that!"
Keith
Jan 15, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it
Good book, great pictures. Wonderful inspiration showing what you can do within the limitations of the iPhone camera.
Mona AlMuaigel
Mar 22, 2010 Mona AlMuaigel rated it it was amazing
Great book!! with exceptional photographes i really liked it true "the best camera is the one that's with you"
Jeff Triplett
Jan 13, 2011 Jeff Triplett rated it really liked it
Shelves: dmingml
Great book and it really shows you what can be done on such a limited platform. #dmingml
Brad
Brad marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Endre Kovacs
Endre Kovacs rated it really liked it
May 11, 2016
Barrett
Barrett rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Steve S.
Steve S. marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Daniel Kang
Daniel Kang rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Nathan Frentzel
Nathan Frentzel marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Thomas Moses
Thomas Moses rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Ann Mayberry
Ann Mayberry rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016
Andrew Zheng
Andrew Zheng rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Julia Agris
Julia Agris marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • VisionMongers: Making a Life and a Living in Photography
  • Tao of Photography: Seeing Beyond Seeing
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Paris in Color
  • Building iPhone Apps with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript: Making App Store Apps Without Objective-C or Cocoa
  • Learn Objective-C on the Mac
  • Best Business Practices for Photographers
  • Serious Play: How the World's Best Companies Simulate to Innovate
  • Learning by Heart: Teachings To Free The Creative Spirit
  • Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image Manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
  • Mind Set!: Reset Your Thinking and See the Future
  • Photojojo!: Insanely Great  Photo Projects and DIY Ideas
  • John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide
  • Another Way of Telling
  • Michael Freeman's Perfect Exposure: The Professional's Guide to Capturing Perfect Digital Photographs
  • Reframing: Neurolinguistic Programming and the Transformation of Meaning