Start by marking “Calvin: Origins and Development of His Religious Thought” as Want to Read:
Calvin: Origins and Development of His Religious Thought

Calvin: Origins and Development of His Religious Thought

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The year 1986 marks the four hundred fiftieth anniversary of the first publication of Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion. In this important book by a leading European scholar, Calvin's life and thought are summarized in relation to the political and intellectual currents of the turbulent era of the Reformation.
Published May 1st 1995 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Calvin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calvin

Ryan
Excellent. This is the best Theological Survey of Calvin's thought that I have read to date and it is still the standard. If you want a fair and level headed survey of the origin and development of Calvin's theological thought, pick this one up. It won't disappoint for what it has proposed to do.
Chris
Wendel's exposition is clear, helpful, and judicious. There is no obvious partisan cast here, nor any especially ambitious interpretive agenda. Wendel does suggest late that the major theme is the absolute divinity of Christ, of which he adduces examples I find astonishing.

As I'm slated to spend this term actually reading the Institutes-- which I haven't before-- I can't comment on the persuasiveness of Wendel's case. His book appears to remain something of a classic, so I assume it's sound. Mos...more
Steven Wedgeworth
Fantastic. The best theological survey of Calvin and decently sized. Still a standard.
Brent
Brent is currently reading it
Jun 16, 2014
"Hot Rod" Todd Beckett
"Hot Rod" Todd Beckett is currently reading it
May 04, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Jim
Jim added it
Jan 03, 2014
Hany Sameh
Hany Sameh marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2013
Steven
Steven added it
Jan 29, 2013
Somethinglatin
Somethinglatin marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Kcshrader
Kcshrader marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2012
Paul Mate
Paul Mate marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2012
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2012
Peter Coleman
Peter Coleman marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2012