Start by marking “How Math Can Save Your Life: (And Make You Rich, Help You Find The One, and Avert Catastrophes)” as Want to Read:

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  7 reviews
How to make lots of money, keep yourself safe, and even save the world-all by using a little simple math

Forget the dull, boring math you learned in school. This book shows you the powerful things math can do for you, with applications no teacher ever taught you in algebra class. How can you make money off credit card companies? Will driving a hybrid save you money in the l...more
Published March 1st 2010 by Wiley (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about How Math Can Save Your Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Math Can Save Your Life

Dale
"How Math Can Save Your Life" aims to show how mathematics can play a role in day to day decision making. Aimed at the non-mathematically inclined, it uses only arithmetic, but introduces simple probability theory, statistics, and game theory.

The author, James Stein, a professor of mathematics at California State, Long Beach, has a secondary goal of improving mathematics education in high schools (mostly by de-emphasizing algebra and going back to useful basics).

Each of the 14 chapters explains...more
Lydia
Perhaps I should have applied math a little more in knowing how hard to study for my college tests or even how often to be on time/verses late! I enjoyed seeing the world through math eyes. I was shocked reading how few students understand basic math premise like percentages. Makes me that much more glad I'm having my kids work on math workbooks this summer. Last year I graded the 3rd graders time tests--if you can't do basic multiplication in your head fast...factions and everything are so much...more
Bert Edens
The title is pretty ambitious, but I prefer the working title the author references in this book: "How Math Can Get You Laid".

Ultimately, this book could have been renamed "How Probability Can Help You Understand Your World Better", because that was the core of the book. He does address other issues, and uses logic in other places to good effect. But overall, I think the book was just so-so. And I consider myself a math geek.
CJ Ewell
This book can make a person feel a little sheepish. My math skills are OK, but like many, I am lazy about applying math to everyday situations. This book shows why we should and shows how easy it can be. Since reading this book, I am amazed at the simple math mistakes made all around me, from store clerks to politicians.
Maggie V
Sep 04, 2012 Maggie V added it
Shelves: non-fiction
An interesting book and although a bit exaggerated about saving lives (yes he does prove it but it's also a common sense thing) it did have many helpful hints. I may have gotten more out of it if I didn't skim, but still got nice tips.
Joseph
I enjoyed the premise of the book and it had some useful points but it alternated between being overly simplistic to excessively complicated which made it hard to enjoy.
Leonard
Interesting read. Primarily about game theory and it's application in everyday life.
Elly
Elly marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Alyssa Lehner
Alyssa Lehner marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Praticamente Italiano
Praticamente Italiano marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ailleen
Ailleen is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2014
Steve Charman
Steve Charman marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Jasmin Begic
Jasmin Begic marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Ambrose
Ambrose marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Silambarasan
Silambarasan marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2013
Laura Dupuy
Laura Dupuy marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2013
Ananya
Ananya marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Test
Test added it
Jul 03, 2013
William
William marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
James
James added it
Jul 08, 2013
Christlead Cosa
Christlead Cosa marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Srinivas
Srinivas marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
How Math Explains the World: A Guide to the Power of Numbers, from Car Repair to Modern Physics Cosmic Numbers: The Numbers That Define Our Universe La matematica non è un'opinione. Ma è il modo più facile per capire il mondo The Paranormal Equation 揭示宇宙奥秘的13个常数 (图灵新知) (Chinese Edition)