Start by marking “The Snow” as Want to Read:
The Snow

The Snow

And this is how the world will end...

"The snow started falling on the sixth of September, soft noiseless flakes filling the sky like a swarm of white moths, or like static interference on your TV screen -- whichever metaphor, nature of technology, you find the more evocative. Snow everywhere, all through the air, with that distinctive sense of hurrying that a vigorous snow
Published 2005 by Gollancz (first published August 19th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Snow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snow

Jun 08, 2013 Kerry rated it did not like it
It started off as a very promising novel and idea: what would happen if it simply never stopped snowing and most of the world died out, leaving something like 100,000 remaining survivors worldwide to build society from scratch?

Still, as I read on, it became simply... confusing. I googled the book to see if I'd missed anything, and it seemed that I was not alone in my stupor - this was a common response amongst anyone who had read the book, complete and utter confusion. The author tries to draw
Oct 25, 2008 Zippy rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The premise of this book is great, and the beginning had me really hooked but then it seemed to lose it's way horribly. The story fizzled out and was quite unsatisfactory in the end (but I kept on going hoping it would improve), and also the characters were unsympathetic and one-dimensional, and I didn't really care one way or the other what happened to them.

Having said this, I really like Adam Roberts writing style, and will definitely pick up another of his to read sometime, and give him anoth
Dec 31, 2013 Chloe rated it did not like it
I thought I would like this book, the whole snow apocalypse seemed like a promising story plot... I was wrong. First off, it wasn't very well written, a lot of repetitions and a monotonous style. This book is mostly about how the snow came and how two survivors deal with their new lives, their stories are told through official documents. But the author doesn't provide enough information and depth to make any of it feel believable, and I was left with too many basic questions about post-snow soci ...more
Feb 17, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it
Too much about the (weak) emotional relationship(s) between the main protagonist and the people she has, was having, or had sex with. The majority of the book is written as a report, documenting the coming of the 'snow' and the aftermath. This style isn't consistent throughout and at one stage I thought this was going to turn out to be a series of short stories, which would probably have made for a better read. For me, too little attention is given to how and why the snow came about. Yes these a ...more
Sep 30, 2009 Lynne rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Sep 18, 2014 AuroraBlaze rated it liked it
The beginning of this book reminded me of The Day of the Triffids, by John Wyndham, both in writing style and general plot. After the first chapter, though, it gets way more scifi-ey. It's a bit difficult to get into, I found, but once you get used to the writing style, it gets easier. Some parts can be a bit confusing, but if you don't think too deeply about it, it can be an enjoyable story. I liked how each chapter was an official document, it made it seem more real. The idea, too, is original ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
The Snow was loaned to me by a science fiction enthusiast, a friend of mine whose favourite author is Adam Roberts. I began this book not knowing anything about it – not even what my friend thought of it because she wouldn't tell me! – and so I revelled in reading a book where anything could happen.

The Snow is set in a truly post-apocalyptic world: “..the snow doesn't stop. It falls and falls and falls. Until it lies three miles thick across the whole of the earth. Six billion people have died.
Paul  Perry
Sep 07, 2010 Paul Perry rated it it was amazing
This is, for me, Roberts first great book. I've enjoyed everything I've read by him – all his previous novels have been clever, well written stories that at the same time have deep themes and morals woven into their fabric – but The Snow was a real WOW! book.

The basic premise (although absolutely nothing is basic in an Adam Roberts book) is that heavy snow begins to fall and does not stop. The world is soon covered in a blanket many metres – and eventually kilometres – deep, and civilisation qui
Elizabeth Moeller
Mar 02, 2013 Elizabeth Moeller rated it liked it
Just when i would think that I had a handle on what was going on in this science fiction novel, all of a sudden it would change and become a different kind of apocalypse. It begins with Londoner Tira experiencing the vast snow fall that blots out all of her normal life and then making her way to an office building where she lives with a man who has similarly become a refugee from the snow. Then, when it seems as though this is a pretty standard end of the world narrative, Tira is rescued from be ...more
May 19, 2016 Attila rated it did not like it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic, sf
A post-apocalyptic story with a good premise. The snow just does not stop falling... first it disrupts traffic, then it makes daily life difficult, then it buries houses, and finally it covers the entire world. The few survivors (mostly military personnel) live in prefabs on the surface, and they keep "mining" for food and valuables buried in the old cities.

All this, however, is dealt with in less than 50 pages. The rest of the book is about petty politics and disagreements in the survivor colon
Feb 27, 2015 Muireann rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2012, pabc
Sep 24, 2014 Debbie rated it did not like it
Self-indulgent rubbish. Good idea, really badly executed
Stephen Palmer
Feb 11, 2012 Stephen Palmer rated it really liked it
Part infuriating., part brilliant, part WTF...
Dec 12, 2008 Doug rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Adam Roberts' books. The premises are fascinating, the stories are compelling and I do very much enjoy Roberts' writing style. Unfortunately, none of the works I've read so far contain a single likeable character, major or minor.

His characters are all either seriously emotionally damaged in some way or just selfish or mean or self-important or... Well, you get the idea.

Yet I eat Roberts' stuff up. This is, what, the sixth book of his I've read so far
Aug 20, 2012 Stuart rated it really liked it
This starts off as a Wyndham-like apocalypse scenario. It starts snowing, and doesn't stop. For years. This opening is really good, following an Asian woman as she survives in under-snow London.

Later, we are shifted to a colony of survivors on the surface of the snow, where we are fell some government documents that are allegedly banned, including some science mumbojumbo trying to explain the snow. The book kind of drifts through these, until we get back to Tira's story as she adapted to live ab
Sin Tien Tan
Mar 19, 2016 Sin Tien Tan rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An amazing book due to its ability to teeter on the fringe of senseless without really falling off. I find it quite implausible when people praise a book because it's unpredictable because there's only so many ways to structure a narrative. The Snow, however, really caught me blind.
N.J. Pearce
Jan 15, 2015 N.J. Pearce rated it liked it
a really good concept and idea with excellent execution right up until the end where it throws it all away for what can only be described as a disappointment.....if I'm being polite
Iain Parkes
Dec 11, 2015 Iain Parkes marked it as to-read
I registered a book at!
Feb 03, 2013 Hardo rated it really liked it
I came across this book in my local Library, after reading one of Roberts' other books, By Light Alone. Once again, Roberts has created a world so similar to our own, yet spun on its axis by one fantastical (but not entirely unbelievable) trait. As in the best of sci-fi tradition, it's not the snow, or where it comes from, that make the story: it's the interactions between his (largely dysfunctional) characters in extreme environments. And in The Snow, as well as in By Light Alone, Robert's grea ...more
Another great book from Adam Roberts. The book mainly follows Tira and what happened after the snow, and its not pretty!

I quite enjoyed reading this novel
Bec Pearce
Jan 15, 2015 Bec Pearce rated it liked it
Great first two thirds. Terrible terrible ending. God awful ending. Holy crap it's a bad ending.
Jun 13, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Not a brilliant book, but as always, Roberts creates an interesting mixture of ideas with a few surprises. It starts off as a standard, end-of-the world type book, with characters trying to survive the accumulating snow of a perpetual blizzard. Throw in some Orwellian dystopia and a few things that just don't seem to add up and off you go.
Peter Walton-Jones
Jul 30, 2011 Peter Walton-Jones rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, dystopia
Imagine that the snow starts and never quite stops falling. Like Noah's flood but the world is buried in snow. A few survive. What would life be like? What would change? How can humanity survive? This idea roughly outlines "Snow". It is nearly a great story but ultimately it doesn't quite get there. I think perhaps it is not quite dark and disturbing enough. However it is an excellent story with a great central character. I have also read "Salt" by Adam Roberts and he certainly does big ideas an ...more
Apr 08, 2011 Ron rated it really liked it
Even though I know from his past novels that Adam Roberts often takes an unusual tack on classic science fiction tropes, I was still surprised and impressed with The Snow. To say very much about the plot beyond "it begins to snow one day and doesn't stop for years; horrible catastrophe ensues" would risk spoilers, but I will say that The Snow was a well-written and compelling story and the last quarter of the novel went somewhere I didn't expect at all, in a good way. Good stuff.
Will Sheppard
May 19, 2016 Will Sheppard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
The Snow is a brilliantly engaging survivor/post-apocalyptic drama about the elusive nature of truth when expressed through the filter of human judgment.

The way it's written through first-hand accounts of witnesses gives a similar effect to that of Philip K Dick's "Flow My Tears". It's cleverly arranged so that you're not sure what the truth really is, and may change your mind several times throughout the story.
Sep 04, 2011 Dave rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable book. The beginning with its description of a bucolic snowfall that turns into a nightmare is wonderfully conceived and then it all gets weird. I suspect the author was indulging in plenty of his own snow as there are many references to cocaine abuse and the snow itself seems like a metaphor for the way modern-day London is seemingly awash with that nasty drug. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.
What happens when it starts snowing? How about when it doesn't stop? What would happen to our civilization if that happened for years?

Another approachable and yet captivating sci-fi yarn from Adam Roberts. An easy read reminiscent of Children of Men or a Handmaiden's tale with racial and class examinations mixed in. A great and yet different kind of apocalypse novel.
Christopher Bashforth
I bought this book expecting a post-apocalyptic novel set in a winter world and therefore I was initially disappointed that the actual disaster was only described in the first few pages and the rest of the book described rebuilding society afterwards. However, I kept reading and the ending was actually very readable and thought provoking.
Ember Stone-pierce
Sep 25, 2013 Ember Stone-pierce rated it really liked it
Excellent SF novel based on the concept of Snow - What would happen if snow fell and continued to fall steadily year after year? A bit of a 'Cop Out' ending to some extent but a fascinating read.
Oct 15, 2013 Joshua rated it really liked it
Another great story by A.Roberts. Not to everyone's liking, but the political intrigue, the character development, and the weird setting makes this a great story.
  • Vanishing Point
  • Dust
  • The Long Winter
  • The Changes: A Trilogy
  • Long Voyage Back
  • Aftermath (Supernova Alpha, #1)
  • No Exit (The Big Empty, #4)
  • The Last Canadian
  • Some Will Not Die
  • Down to a Sunless Sea
  • The World Ends in Hickory Hollow
  • The Keepers of the Flame (Fire-us, #2)
  • Genus
  • Aftermath
  • Nature's End
  • Drowning Towers
  • Encyclopedia of Xanth (A Crossroads Adventure in the World of Piers Anthony's Xanth)
  • Year Zero

Adam Roberts (born 1965) is an academic, critic and novelist. He also writes parodies under the pseudonyms of A.R.R.R. Roberts, A3R Roberts and Don Brine. He also blogs at The Valve, a group blog devoted to literature and cultural studies.

He has a degree in English from the
More about Adam Roberts...